As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City [chat]

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Basically if I have to hear that car full of ugly idiots have another rapid-fire exchange of tonally jarring non-sequiturs, I will be hoping for a war in the south China sea

gladioabs.jpg

I think the character interactions between the 4 mains in that game are easily the best part of the game so far.

So it definitely might not be your kinda game.

Ugly is a weird one though, I wonder if you have a weird tv setup. It's a very pretty game.

You also get cooler scenery pretty much immediately after leaving the first starter area.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced that we're going to move back to a more spread out populace because of telecommuting/automation.

At the base level most people are too dang shitty at computers to handle working from home unless you want your IT guys driving around constantly to plug their monitors in for them.

but also I don't think the major barrier to wide adoption of work-from-home is like, management style and attitude (butts in seats = work!)
    it's management skill; managing a work-from-home team is considerably harder and most management isn't very good at their job to begin with

That is why I said it won't be our generation. Or even our kids. But more our grandchildren and great grandchildren. It would be on the back end of the current social realignment due to automation.

no, see, I'm saying management is never going to get good enough to handle it
    companies with a majority local workforce will outperform those with remote workforces

especially as automation increases and labor becomes worth less and less, companies have no need to align themselves to the workers interests
    they can set up shop wherever property tax is the cheapest and say "come here and work" and people will come

Two things:

1) The current economic structure is shifting as the number of workers for any work drops. See DK's lovely dystopian posts about this.
    2) This shift will lead to a shift overall of how the workforce and economic structure functions or does not function. This will lead to shifts as well to how work and income are viewed. Increased possibilities of basic income. Reduced need for work as a base for survival but as a way to improve ones station in life. Few areas of manual work left will probably be in the more physical less repetitive job areas which tend to be rural. Shifts in transportation of goods. Changes in services.

We are going to be shit on. We got the luck of being in the early adopter gen basically. We have seen some outcomes already. Push backs against globalization. November 8th. This will continue probably for the next 10 to 15 years as more jobs in more industries are automated. Including probably a lot of folks here on these forums.

yeah I guess

I feel like mass automation is a wall we cannot see past

it could be massive unemployment while the rich sit in their golden towers

it could be that suddenly jobs we never dreampt of become the norm (like has happened in previous labor shifts)

it could be we usher in an age of glorious communism

I dunno, it's terrifying

We can make some guesses and decent estimates with current trends. Which is what pretty much any sort of futures work is.

We know a lot about how systems are working out. We can watch the effect on the population in ways we couldn't at the last shift of the industrial revolution. Which though improved output didn't really remove the need for human mass labor. It shifted it a lot.

This time it is the whole sale removal and entire class of work. Actually multiple classes of work. It is one of those that leads to a lot of social upheaval. and with human history that tends to mean violent times and bad times for those who get to live through it. Lucky us.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    someone soil me on the passengers movie

wait i mean spoil

or direct me to where i can read about it without also somehow being spoiled on rogue one
    http://www.avclub.com/review/passengers-tests-limits-chris-pratt-and-jennifer-l-247677

giphy.gif

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    having not played ffxv, i trust EM's judgement over that of the unwashed masses

EM tell me what to think about rogue one

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    all that's left is to make our noodle dream a reality

Now u are the kung fu panda

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    someone soil me on the passengers movie

wait i mean spoil

or direct me to where i can read about it without also somehow being spoiled on rogue one
    Basically, the pitch in the trailers is that it's a romcom where both Chris Pratt and JLaw are woken up from cryostasis early by a random accident. In reality Pratt is woken up by accident and then he sees JLaw, looks through her personal files, and wakes her up. This basically means she's guarantees to live the rest of her life with only Pratt as company because Pratt wanted her.

I'm trying not to spoil myself too much but
    the trailers implied something weird is going on and Pratt might know more about it. Did he wake her up because he thinks she's cute and wants to bang her? Did he do it because she might be useful? Is she a mechanic/person with more knowledge about how to fix the ship? Does he wake her up for some part of his mission, did he just want to confirm he had the right person? "The rest of her life"? Do they die on the ship? Can they not fix the cryo and go back to sleep

There's a bunch of stuff that might make that a lot less creepy, but of course taken out of context it seems creepy as fuck.

I am reserving judgement until I see it.

No mitigating factors.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    I mean, when is Preacher not jailed?

You know I take my licks, but I do tire that some of you guys seem to enjoy that I get infracted and trumpet it loudly.

I derive no enjoyment from your disciplinary status. Some things simply are: water is wet, grass is green, and Preacher is in jail again. *shrug*

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

You know I take my licks, but I do tire that some of you guys seem to enjoy that I get infracted and trumpet it loudly.

I derive no enjoyment from your disciplinary status. Some things simply are: water is wet, grass is green, and Preacher is in jail again. *shrug*

You're such a pleasant person to deal with Houn. I'm glad you are around.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    A bit of spoilered whining/despondency. Feel free not to read! I don't blame you!
    I'll preface this with the obvious fact that I'm a big boy responsible for my actions and am not trying to excuse anything.

I'm beating myself up really really badly over getting this infraction. I've tried harder than a lot of people can even imagine to tone down my nature and posts. I'm guilty of saying shitty things, knowing they're shitty, and saying them anyway. That's me ignoring my conscience/filter. I've wrestled angels repeatedly to keep that in check. In fact every instance of me not doing so in the past year has been political/election related which shows just how deeply scarred my psyche is in that area.

But the whole shooting the messenger "joke" yesterday completely passed my filter. I genuinely thought in my stupid head there was enough absurd separation between a fucked up comment and an ironic one. Obviously there wasn't and the post was dumb and that's on me. That's what scares me. It's one thing when I'm an asshole and I fuck myself over knowingly. It's another thing altogether when my filter is broken and I can't even trust it.

I know for most people this is just a forum and you can take it or leave it, and I survived without it for nearly a year. But for me, I'm letting people down and breaking a promise and that's very. very difficult for me.
    On top of that, when you are isolated to an area that has completely different values and ideology than you, you appreciate a like minded community however you can get it. I'm sitting here with a snotty nose with tears streaming down my face over this.

The weirdness of a 33 year old man being sad about the internet isn't lost on me. I'm self aware in how fucked up I am. I just feel like I'm screwing up one of the few decent things I have, and it hurts so badly because it's no one's fault but my own, but apparently I can't even trust myself to take charge of that.

I mean, I love you

Warts and all

I even love your warts

I have a wart fetish, is what I'm trying to say

also that you're not fucked up for needing this social space, and if you are, you're in good and plentiful company

take this on the chin, and keep moving

because you're rad

and you got this <3

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I like dwarfs best out of the typical fantasy types

I want to be a stout little dude with a giant braided beard and a fuck off warhammer

I don't want to be a little engineer or a jovial drunk (avialable dwarf archetypes). Elves are probably fine, depending (especially if they're like op elves who get to be hot, cultured, and deadly all at the same time). Some elements of being a strong but ugly species might be ok, but wouldn't want to deal with the social discrimination. Honestly in shadowrun I'd rather just be a heavily cybered-up human (and in a fantasy setting, a magic human, if possible).

Shadowrun as a setting ticks all of my roleplaying urges

Oh, I can be an elf and shove a ton of metal into my body and get paid to do atrocious things? Yes, sign me up!

• Options

We never did go grab lunch together. We should continue to be True Seattle 4 Lyfe and comment about getting lunch together but never making a plan for it, ever.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So I played through the first chapter of FFXV and I think I'm done with it.

It's horrendous on every single level except two: evoking the feeling of driving somewhere with your bros, which is mildly pleasing until any of these idiots opens their mouths, and the combat system, which is kind of okay at best and honestly I'd rather play a traditional time attack system.

It's so bad it's embarrassing to play. I would be ashamed if someone saw me playing it. It's also very ugly!

Feels like a shitty Capcom side license game from the early 2000s.

It's a great game.

You're a neurotic collectophile completionist, though, so your calibrations are very different

I can't imagine listening to that dialogue or voice acting for one moment longer. I think it will give me brain damage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6pUItkELXM

...yeah I'm gonna pass on that game

I

I agree with EM.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Adventures in fun texts from your ex volume 283.
    i'm sorry for what i said last night. . .i don't know what I was thinking.

except they never said anything before that other than sending a drunken snapchat. mysteries of the universe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Some of you guys really don't like Cup Noodle.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Basically if I have to hear that car full of ugly idiots have another rapid-fire exchange of tonally jarring non-sequiturs, I will be hoping for a war in the south China sea

gladioabs.jpg

I think the character interactions between the 4 mains in that game are easily the best part of the game so far.

Ugly is a weird one though, I wonder if you have a weird tv setup. It's a very pretty game.

You also get cooler scenery pretty much immediately after leaving the first starter area.

The character interactions are extremely stilted, with bizarre pacing and rhythms like a badly dubbed cartoon. All the characters react to events and situations with wildly incoherent emotions and non-sequitur English filler, just sort of spamming common phrases like "YEAH RIGHT" and "WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT" to fill conversational space. Are other people playing the game in Japanese with subtitles or something? Because I'm not seeing the appeal of listening to them or how you could penetrate the absurd VAing to form any attachment.

It really does feel like a bad Capcom shovelware game from the early 2000s, honestly.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    FFXV is the best FF since X... not saying much but it is enjoyable. The main detractor is that it went full ARPG and that it will be the same battle system put into the FFVII remake.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    TL DR wrote: »
    Now that 'faithless electors' are no longer a possibility, I'm holding out hope for 'the return of magic and of the great dragon Dunkelzahn'

Fingers crossed!

Hmmm I don't know how I feel about goblinization though. Well, honestly, I guess as long as I wasn't a dwarf it would be ok. (troll or orc I could achieve my not-so-secret dream of being able to beat the crap out of people, and elf obviously is great cause then you're extra hot. Dwarf has no appeal though.)

I am unfamiliar with this aspect of Shadowrun. Do humans become the other races?

Elves and Dwarves start being born, and then people randomly mutate into Orcs and Ogres

oh oops, I thought people also mutated into elves and dwarves. I'm not super deep into the lore.

What's really weird is that even though there are totally people who have mutated into orcs and trolls (and who are probably in their 60s when a lot of campaigns take place?) I don't think you really hear a lot of them angst or emote over the transformation...not that kind of game, really...
    There are many Shadowrun storylines about orks and trolls who have angst over their transformation. Sam Verner's sister in the first Shadowrun Trilogy novel goblinized, and her shame over her transformation is her central character arc. Many of those who Goblinized also lost their minds during the transformation and suffered from mental illness. Those who are born orks and trolls tend not to be, because they've always been that way.

Those who are born Orks and Trolls don't live as long as humans. The goblinized ones, at least the ones that are left, have the lifespan of a normal human. Bull, one of the current major NPCs of the Shadowrun metagame, is one of those old orks. Goblinization also occurred uncommonly throughout the early 2030s-2050s and during a second wave during the year of the Comet (along with SURGE).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I like dwarfs best out of the typical fantasy types

I want to be a stout little dude with a giant braided beard and a fuck off warhammer

I don't want to be a little engineer or a jovial drunk (avialable dwarf archetypes). Elves are probably fine, depending (especially if they're like op elves who get to be hot, cultured, and deadly all at the same time). Some elements of being a strong but ugly species might be ok, but wouldn't want to deal with the social discrimination. Honestly in shadowrun I'd rather just be a heavily cybered-up human (and in a fantasy setting, a magic human, if possible).

Shadowrun as a setting ticks all of my roleplaying urges

Oh, I can be an elf and shove a ton of metal into my body and get paid to do atrocious things? Yes, sign me up!
    Yeah, heavily-cybered elf is about equally good for me as heavily-cybered human. Low ethics, get paid. Very fun. Sr 3.5 was the first role playing game I played and I'd love to have another go at it some day.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    So I played through the first chapter of FFXV and I think I'm done with it.

It's horrendous on every single level except two: evoking the feeling of driving somewhere with your bros, which is mildly pleasing until any of these idiots opens their mouths, and the combat system, which is kind of okay at best and honestly I'd rather play a traditional time attack system.

It's so bad it's embarrassing to play. I would be ashamed if someone saw me playing it. It's also very ugly!

Feels like a shitty Capcom side license game from the early 2000s.

It's a great game.

You're a neurotic collectophile completionist, though, so your calibrations are very different

I can't imagine listening to that dialogue or voice acting for one moment longer. I think it will give me brain damage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6pUItkELXM

...yeah I'm gonna pass on that game

I

I agree with EM.

The Cup Noodles thing is so bizzare I can't help but laugh at it, and it's the first thing I've seen about that game that makes me want to play it. It's almost Python-esque in it's surreality.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

We never did go grab lunch together. We should continue to be True Seattle 4 Lyfe and comment about getting lunch together but never making a plan for it, ever.

I'd rather not ruin a perfectly good day.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

It's wholly uninteresting food, and the fact that FFXV shamelessly reads ad copy for it is magnified by the fact that it's been an extremely frustrating game to play.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I'm a top ramen man.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    "Would you like a little more?

The owl snaps open hungrily. The shapes inside it, like stubby little waggling fingers, motion towards your head. But you've prepared a secret, neatly chopped into tiny mysteries. You feel the owl dragging the secret from your thoughts and devouring it.

Your owl shrugs a lazy wing and opens its beak to sing. Glass cracks and your brasses shake. Bats fall to the pavement outside. Get the jar!"

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    preacher I <3 u

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I feel like I was going to just ignore that Pratt/Lawrence movie but now it makes me angry. So I guess I'll Pass-n-grrr

• Options

gladioabs.jpg

The character interactions are extremely stilted, with bizarre pacing and rhythms like a badly dubbed cartoon. All the characters react to events and situations with wildly incoherent emotions and non-sequitur English filler, just sort of spamming common phrases like "YEAH RIGHT" and "WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT" to fill conversational space. Are other people playing the game in Japanese with subtitles or something? Because I'm not seeing it.

It really does feel like a bad Capcom shovelware game from the early 2000s, honestly.

I feel that my guys are commenting on things appropriately as they happen. And having good conversations and fun little interactions about certain things.

I haven't felt that it seemed stilted or bizarrely paced or anything yet. There's a lot of good natured ribbing at each other and chats about what they're doing in a certain moment.

They do need to shut the fuck up when I'm fishing though. YOUR LINE IS ABOUT TO BREAK
    no it isn't gladio go scavenge some shit jesus

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i will probably see passengers because it is beautiful people in space

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    speaking of clunky character interactions i'm enjoying the way ESO has carried on the Bethesda tradition of having two NPCs hold a conversation where it sounds like they are cold reading a script and also not paying attention to each other

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The Adventure Zone introduced me to a new narrative archetype for dwarves: Beach Dwarves

beach bummin it up
    brown sunbaked skin
    diving for oysters 'n shit (good constitution and very dense, they'd make excellent freedivers!)

it works so well

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Is it out? Is that actually what happens?

• Options
    The thing about Final Fantasy XV is that you can see exactly where they spent loads of money, and exactly where they didn't.

• Options

I'd rather not ruin a perfectly good day.

Aw, come on, Preach, you know I love you. Riding that infraction line is just part of your innate charm! You know, pound for pound, I've probably awesome'd more of your posts than anyone else.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    How can you hate Prompto

He's so earnest
    I hated Prompto, until there was a cutscene where Prompto and Noctis sit and talk on the roof of a motel. Prompto mentions that he has no role in the group, and he feels like the mascot that the group brings as a tag along. Ignis is smart and refined, Gladio is big and tough, and Noctis is the crown prince. He's a nobody, and he is constantly trying to prove himself worthy of his group of friends.

That sort of turned my perspective around on him.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    FFXV is weirdly structured and has some jankiness and leans almost entirely on its basic gameplay systems and on its characterization of the main characters. If you don't like exploring and fighting big monsters and driving the car around while your sweet sweet boys banter and fist bump, you should give it a pass!

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Now that 'faithless electors' are no longer a possibility, I'm holding out hope for 'the return of magic and of the great dragon Dunkelzahn'

Fingers crossed!

Hmmm I don't know how I feel about goblinization though. Well, honestly, I guess as long as I wasn't a dwarf it would be ok. (troll or orc I could achieve my not-so-secret dream of being able to beat the crap out of people, and elf obviously is great cause then you're extra hot. Dwarf has no appeal though.)

I am unfamiliar with this aspect of Shadowrun. Do humans become the other races?

Elves and Dwarves start being born, and then people randomly mutate into Orcs and Ogres

oh oops, I thought people also mutated into elves and dwarves. I'm not super deep into the lore.

What's really weird is that even though there are totally people who have mutated into orcs and trolls (and who are probably in their 60s when a lot of campaigns take place?) I don't think you really hear a lot of them angst or emote over the transformation...not that kind of game, really...
    There are many Shadowrun storylines about orcs and trolls who have angst over their transformation. Sam Verner's sister in the first Shadowrun Trilogy novel goblinized, and her shame over her transformation is her central character arc. Many of those who Goblinized also lost their minds during the transformation and suffered from mental illness. Those who are born orcs and trolls tend not to be, because they've always been that way.

Those who are born Orks and Trolls don't live as long as humans. The goblinized ones, at least the ones that are left, have the lifespan of a normal human. Bull, one of the current major NPCs of the Shadowrun metagame, is one of those old orks. Goblinization also occurred uncommonly throughout the early 2030s-2050s and during a second wave during the year of the Comet (along with SURGE).

It's not front and center though, which is weird to me as a WoD player where your angst over your supernatural template is, like, the point.

Apparently there's a new nWoD game where you can be a person with the soul of a primordial beast and a nightmare realm where you drag people in to eat them? Sounds cool...

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    One of the FF15 guy's name is "Prompto"?

Blegh.

• Options
    How can you hate Prompto

He's so earnest
    I hated Prompto, until there was a cutscene where Prompto and Noctis sit and talk on the roof of a motel. Prompto mentions that he has no role in the group, and he feels like the mascot that the group brings as a tag along. Ignis is smart and refined, Gladio is big and tough, and Noctis is the crown prince. He's a nobody, and he is constantly trying to prove himself worthy of his group of friends.

That sort of turned my perspective around on him.

I watched that anime thing first and have been really liking everyone. Except Ignis, who is kinda boring.

Also Kingsglaive was pretty. Not good, but pretty.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Fingers crossed!

There are many Shadowrun storylines about orcs and trolls who have angst over their transformation. Sam Verner's sister in the first Shadowrun Trilogy novel goblinized, and her shame over her transformation is her central character arc. Many of those who Goblinized also lost their minds during the transformation and suffered from mental illness. Those who are born orcs and trolls tend not to be, because they've always been that way.

It's not front and center though, which is weird to me as a WoD player where your angst over your supernatural template is, like, the point.

Apparently there's a new nWoD game where you can be a person with the soul of a primordial beast and a nightmare realm where you drag people in to eat them? Sounds cool...

Yes finally an RPG where I can play a Swampthing

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I assume beach dwarves ferment coconut milk?

actually now that I think about the traditional underground dwarf's association with ale doesn't make much sense. You can't grow grain underground.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
This discussion has been closed.