As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Thread: Yes you can turn off the 3d glass effect! W/Y/H

• Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Zoolander wrote: »
    So my Windows XP PC has a 250GB harddrive filled with a bunch of videos and stuff. How do I access that on my Macbook over the home wireless network? There's a router in the way.

Right now I'm thinking I have to get a FileZilla FTP server running on my PC and access that from the macbook, am I right?

you should be able to connect to windows shares from your macbook. Just share the files and you can mount the shares in OS X

If it's anything like Samba on Linux, it's as easy as just sharing them and finding the shared network folders in OSX.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    I wouldn't count that out.

I'm sure there's a company somewhere that's trying to crack OSX.

Even if the difference is minimal, they would like the extra money.

Now if it's possible or not, I don't know. I doubt it, but I'm sure at least someone is trying.

That's why I keep my driver on read-only. Every now and then it means an extra reboot to move a file, but that's nothing for complete peace of mind.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone with a MacBook have recommendations for a sleeve or thin hardcase? I have a messenger bag I already carry so I don't want a full on laptop bag. Stepping on the interweb and searching for this kind of thing brought about a daunting amount of hits for various products.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    Anyone with a MacBook have recommendations for a sleeve or thin hardcase? I have a messenger bag I already carry so I don't want a full on laptop bag. Stepping on the interweb and searching for this kind of thing brought about a daunting amount of hits for various products.

Incase Neoprene Sleeve for 13-inch MacBook

Thread over.

I have this sleeve and it's exactly what you need.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So my Windows XP PC has a 250GB harddrive filled with a bunch of videos and stuff. How do I access that on my Macbook over the home wireless network? There's a router in the way.

Right now I'm thinking I have to get a FileZilla FTP server running on my PC and access that from the macbook, am I right?

you should be able to connect to windows shares from your macbook. Just share the files and you can mount the shares in OS X

Thanks, and yeah that was pretty easy.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Thread over.

You can't self declare a thread to be over.

I like the stuff from Tom Bihn, that's some hardcore shit.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    apotheos wrote: »
    PatboyX wrote: »
    I think the video card or logic board or something for my Dad's iBook has burnt out. How much would it take to replace/fix it if his Applecare has expired?

Most of the logic boards we buy (although it varies depending on model) are about $380.
    edit: You might want to check with Apple. I thought there was an iBook version of the problem they had with eMacs, something they fixed at cost or simply replaced with a new Intel iMac. Check the serial numbers on their site.

Just did a quick google and found that the extension on those iBooks is, more than likely, over. However...I found a dude who fixed his logic board/video problems in a most badass way.
    http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/726/diy-obsolete-ibook-logic-board-repair
    I actually got my hands on the iBook today. From what I can tell, I don't think its a logic board issue. Instead of corrupted or strange video, I'm getting no video at all. Nothing on the screen whatsoever.

Any diagnoses?

Check out the link with the iBook on Fire. That is the exact problem.

I'm off to find candles! 380 dollars is a tad too much.
    So, I seem to be having issues getting the fire hot enough to actually melt the solder balls. Anyone have any suggestions? The tealight/multiple wicks/rubbing alcohol plan doesn't seem to work so well, its just not hot enough, I can't get the fan going very fast.

Also, I think I may have somehow caused a short somewhere. The power-cord no longer always charges/powers the iBook/battery.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Evan WatersEvan Waters Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, just whose idea was it to spot-weld in the screws on the iBook dual-USB's RAM shield? Both screws are pretty much stripped now, and I'm not looking forward to paying whatever it would take to have the damn thing opened by pros (I'm not even sure of the nearest Mac-servicing store in the area.)

Or could I just invest in a cordless drill of some sort?

Evan Waters on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So, just whose idea was it to spot-weld in the screws on the iBook dual-USB's RAM shield? Both screws are pretty much stripped now, and I'm not looking forward to paying whatever it would take to have the damn thing opened by pros (I'm not even sure of the nearest Mac-servicing store in the area.)

Or could I just invest in a cordless drill of some sort?
    You really don't want to go at that with a cordless drill. I came up against some stripped screws myself when taking mine apart. Luckily, mine were on the outside (those really small screws), but I had to drill right on the side of the screw and use a screw extractor bit to actually nudge the screw around to unscrew it. But with the RAM shield, you don't have that luxury. And those screws are itty bitty.

I think your best bet is to find an Apple Store or qualified repair center.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Ondrae OciousOndrae Ocious Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Any good free FTP programs? Yummy FTP works so perfect for me, but my trial just ran out. I know I can just redownload it again, but is there any good suggestions? If there are no good free ones, then I will buy Yummy when the knot in my pockets swells.

Fugu won't connect for some reason, I'm kinda a new jack though.

Thanks.

Ondrae Ocious on
    Life is a ____, depending on how you dress her.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    CyberDuck

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I got a pretty shitty surprise this morning when I opened up iTunes to play some music while I worked...

...all my mp3 are belong to ______.

iTunes could not find any of my MP3s. ANY OF THEM. I was like, WTF??? So I went to the iTunes music folder and ALL OF MY MP3s ARE GONE! Files, folders, EVERYTHING. WitF!?!?!?

Anybody had this happen? I checked the Trash, and did a search for ".mp3" and it didnt find any of them.

I did not delete them myself, as a) i am not an idiot, and b) my Trash is still full of other stuff...

I checked the permissions, and it says that I can read and write, and that the owner is <my profle name> and the group was "<my domain\domain users>" with read and write access. I changed that to admin, but nothing changed.

(i am on a corporate windows network on a macbookpro C2D)

thanks.

just a guess, but maybe IT deleted them.

Yeah, if your Home is being backed up to a server, the Music folder can be a problem. We had people with full iMovieHD projects and DVD projects in their home. Of course, we contacted them and asked if we could either store their raw project data and music locally and only backup the final product or just completely ignore any folders other than Desktop, Library and Documents. But we probably deal with less people and have less strict rules than most corporations.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, if you don't mind CLI you can always just use Terminal for FTP.

As far as paid-for FTP clients go, Transmit is awesome.

Antishow on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So I miss the Windows world
    Anybody have experience running Vista on a Macbook? I have the 2.0GHz with 1 gig of ram. Bootcamp tells me 1gig is not enough for Vista - is this true?

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think the video card or logic board or something for my Dad's iBook has burnt out. How much would it take to replace/fix it if his Applecare has expired?

Most of the logic boards we buy (although it varies depending on model) are about $380.
    edit: You might want to check with Apple. I thought there was an iBook version of the problem they had with eMacs, something they fixed at cost or simply replaced with a new Intel iMac. Check the serial numbers on their site.

Just did a quick google and found that the extension on those iBooks is, more than likely, over. However...I found a dude who fixed his logic board/video problems in a most badass way.
    I actually got my hands on the iBook today. From what I can tell, I don't think its a logic board issue. Instead of corrupted or strange video, I'm getting no video at all. Nothing on the screen whatsoever.

Any diagnoses?

So, I seem to be having issues getting the fire hot enough to actually melt the solder balls. Anyone have any suggestions? The tealight/multiple wicks/rubbing alcohol plan doesn't seem to work so well, its just not hot enough, I can't get the fan going very fast.

Also, I think I may have somehow caused a short somewhere. The power-cord no longer always charges/powers the iBook/battery.

How do you mean it no longer always charges? If you jiggle it does it charge or is it no longer accepting any power whatsoever?
    If it never takes any power you could try swapping with a known good battery. Of course, if this worked perfectly until the fire-ball experiment, I guess it could be pretty damning.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bombboy wrote: »
    I downloaded this widget:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/music/albumartwidget.html
    albumartwidget_200509011839.jpg

You click on the +(music note) icon and it will display three "icons". First is to add art to the song, second is to add art for all albums (and it did it for my whole library too), last is to delete or something.
    Yeah, I tried playing about wqith that, but I couldn't get it to work properly (and if I did, I have 800 albums D: )

I was hoping more for an Automator script or something.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    bombboy wrote: »
    I downloaded this widget:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/music/albumartwidget.html
    albumartwidget_200509011839.jpg

You click on the +(music note) icon and it will display three "icons". First is to add art to the song, second is to add art for all albums (and it did it for my whole library too), last is to delete or something.
    Yeah, I tried playing about wqith that, but I couldn't get it to work properly (and if I did, I have 800 albums D: )

I was hoping more for an Automator script or something.

I looked but couldn't find it - what are you trying to do?

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I've added album art to my iTunes library using an Album Art widget and CoverFlow, but it's only added it to the first track of each album, which sort of misses the point.

So I'm hoping for some clever scripty way of automatically copying the album art to every track on an album.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Would this be a way to add cover art to your playlist without being an iTunes store member? Because I have no urge to use a credit card just to get album covers.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Very quickly, on the point of G3 Video issue, I have found this other work-around solution based on the premise that the problem is solved when pressure is put on a specific portion of the motherboard.
    edit: forgot link.
    http://www.powerbook-fr.com/ibook/bricolage/repair_g3_video_en_article797.html

On cover art...assuming that when the files are imported, they are imported into individual folders based on artist and album name, could you not create a script/automator action that would copy an image to "every item of" entire folder?
    I recognize 800 is still a bit of work but it is a start in the right direction I think.
    Unfortunately, I am at work and can't play around with the concept right now.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ok, so I have XP running on my MacBook - but how do I right click without using a mouse?

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »

Thread over.

You can't self declare a thread to be over.

I like the stuff from Tom Bihn, that's some hardcore shit.

A Tom Bihn fanatic just left my place of work and I've inherited a 17" MacBook Pro sleeve from him.

It kind of looks like a cheap piece of shit, really. Not impressed at all. It just plastic covered with some modest and unpleasant to the touch fabric with a zipper.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was really disappointed by the latest Macbook refresh. Hopefully the new Pros will touch me in all the right places.

Lach on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm looking for a program that will allow me to convert avi and similar media into iPod h.264, similar to Handbrake for ripping DVDs. Any suggestions?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Any diagnoses?

How do you mean it no longer always charges? If you jiggle it does it charge or is it no longer accepting any power whatsoever?
    If it never takes any power you could try swapping with a known good battery. Of course, if this worked perfectly until the fire-ball experiment, I guess it could be pretty damning.
    I mean that sometimes the ring around the plug is green, and sometimes it is amber, and sometimes it is off. And now there is always an audible click when plugging it in, and sparks can be seen flying inside. You know, like *bzzt*. So, that's bad, but I know I didn't touch the power section of the board so I am completely confused as to what I did.

I actually spilled some burning rubbing alcohol on the board last night. THAT was entertaining, let me tell you. Also kind of scary. It still works (at least, I still hear the boot-clicking sounds), but I don't know what I ought to do now. Alcohol just isn't working, I attempted to use a coin heated to about 500 degrees Farenheit and that didn't work either, so now I'm down to using some harder, hotter stuff.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anybody have experience running Vista on a Macbook? I have the 2.0GHz with 1 gig of ram. Bootcamp tells me 1gig is not enough for Vista - is this true?

I can't comment on running Vista in Bootcamp, but what I do know is that 1GB is pretty much the absolute minimum anyone should be running Vista on.

I seem to remember something about Bootcamp not officially supporting Vista yet, I dunno if that's changed.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I can't comment on running Vista in Bootcamp, but what I do know is that 1GB is pretty much the absolute minimum anyone should be running Vista on.

I seem to remember something about Bootcamp not officially supporting Vista yet, I dunno if that's changed.

Yeah, it does now.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DVG wrote: »
    I'm looking for a program that will allow me to convert avi and similar media into iPod h.264, similar to Handbrake for ripping DVDs. Any suggestions?

iSquint

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, I finally broke down and just bought a BlackBook and so far I'm loving it. No regrets for switching at all.

Gigaton on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    on power: generally, when we see that, we find ourselves in trouble. We've had success in careful placement of cords and various items to hold them up. But since you mention sparks, I can not recommend plugging that thing at all.
    I would be too paranoid.

on itunes artwork: If we do a "get info" on a song when in iTunes, we can flip to the artwork tab and copy and paste any art into the song.
    So...again, this leads us closer to where we want to be but I don't yet have the time to put these into a working anything right now.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, the trouble is Automator doesn't have an Artwork option for its Get Info actions.

I also suspect iTunes keeps artwork in a seperate database file somewhere.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, the trouble is Automator doesn't have an Artwork option for its Get Info actions.

Confirmed that last part - I'm bootcamp'd running Windows using MacDrive to read my iTunes library, and the artwork is missing on tracks I know have got it, so the artwork is not bound to the mp3 file.

It's in a bunch of mysterious numbered folders in /~Music\iTunes\Album Artwork\Local

ben0207 on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To answer my own question a while back on why I couldn't get my microphone to work on my MacBook.

Quoting from this site, http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=14939

"It's because the plug on the MacBook and most other Apple computers is a LINE IN jack and not a MICROPHONE jack. So unless you have an expensive line level microphone, you're better off with a USB mic or using something like an iMic in order to use normal mic-level microphones."
    -mikaelrules

They suggest using an iMic, which will solve it. I was just hoping to make use of my headset, oh well. Using my headset isn't worth another $40 to me.

Also, the MacBook Pro power adapter works fine with a MacBook, the adapter actually has 2 settings, an 85W and a 65W, and it will sense the correct amount to use, just a little FYI, as I left my power adapter at home, and bought the 85W version at my school's tech center.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited May 2007

iTunes creates .itc files or something like that, I think. But their naming escapes me.
    But if we can put applescipt scripts in the Automator process, it shouldn't matter...right? We could make a "activate itunes switch to" type thingie...maybe?

on iMic:
    I found the same problem. This is slightly cheaper (30) and cuts out the middle man.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=10012

might be good, depending on your situation. But I felt like you - not worth spending cash on something I only sort of want considering the hardware still worked on other machines.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I believe the past two summers Apple ran a promotion for a free ipod mini with macbook purchases. Does anyone know if they are going to run the promotion this year and when it would start?

Thanks.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wasn't that a back to school thing? I remember buying my Macbook in June and the promotion was a month after :/

Lach on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lach wrote: »
    Wasn't that a back to school thing? I remember buying my Macbook in June and the promotion was a month after :/
    That's what I'm afraid of. I'm graduating in a couple weeks and thought maybe the deal would kick in the start of June, get the student discount and free ipod as a last hurrah.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Try ffmpegX or iSquint.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The main trouble I am having with the iTunes artwork Automator/applescript/Xcode project is exactly how one would interact with it.
    Most of what I am coming up with assumes that the user would pre-select the files and then run it. Even in the most simple form, I still see the user having to select each album, right click and then navigate to the desired artwork.
    Any ideas on what would be a more effective angle?
    The only problem I see with it in my way of thinking is that it would not really save all that much more time than simply copying the file to clipboard, selecting the album, apple-i it and paste the clipboard into the initial "Artwork" field.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ok, so I have XP running on my MacBook - but how do I right click without using a mouse?

I believe ctrl+click. I don't have an intel-mac, so I'm not sure.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
This discussion has been closed.