As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Run the [Chat] 3

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    i don't see that establishing he's a bigot proves he's not witty or funny

I'm sure he's absolutely side splitting if you find homophobic jokes funny, which I suppose most people in his age cohort do.

alright

Well, if there were a politician or former SCOTUS member who was known for making 'sharp & whitty' anti-Semitic jokes, would you give that a pass?

just for a second- do you realize how insulting it is to suggest that i'm only bothered by wrong acts that target groups to which i belong? maybe you actually think i'm a piece of shit, in which case i guess this is a legitimate, probing question. but if you don't, then take note of it next time you're in this situation.

to answer your question, though- i wouldn't give virulent antisemitism a pass any more than i would virulent anti-black bigotry or homophobia. i'm not giving scalia 'a pass', in whatever litmus test context you're suggesting. whatever gross things he's said remain gross. what i'm taking issue with is what seems like the suggestion that holding bigoted views is the sum of a person. i don't believe there are beliefs that so fully inform someone's identify as to squeeze out any possible room for other traits or descriptors. maybe if someone holds reprehensible views you could say 'these are so bad that i don't care if he's funny, or charitable in his community' or whatever. and maybe scalia wasn't actually funny! like i said, a quick google didn't produce many chuckles from me. but i'm still comfortable with the idea that a truly horrible person can be clever or loyal or whatever.

RBG considered him a dear personal friend.

I believe when considering Scalia the man, that should factor in.

And now Cheeto will be replacing both of them with actual literal demons from hell. Friendship with him sure did a lot of good for the country, eh?

Her friendship with him had zero effect on trump getting elected so

What are you trying to say here

Her friendship with him didn't stop him from using his position to bring harm to people, and now they'll both be replaced by people with even more malice and who will seek to harm far, far more people.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't mean shit to anyone but the two of them. The rest of us don't get any benefit from their friendship. So... good for them? The fuck do I care that RBG was friends with that dickhead?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i've seen no evidence scalia was ever more than just the mitch mcconnell or harry reid of the supreme court

just an asshole who understood how to game the rules better than anyone else

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So we're currently putting historical events in a modern context, projecting bias, and throwing shit out of the windows of our treehouse.

did i miss anything?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I'm saying be good friends so that people speak highly of you. Some comments here are lacking. This conversation is a poor one on a cold night, friends.

where the fuck are you that has a cold night

*glares at the weather report*

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I'd say he's funny in the way Hamilton is great rap music, and a pastor is edgy. He's supposedly acerbic, and sharp. Here are some of the quotes held up as the hot fire he spits out.
    “We should start calling this law SCOTUScare.”

Oh damn, someone needs to get a burn unit asap. It's okay, though, they're covered by SCOTUScare.
    “The Court’s next bit of interpretive jiggery-pokery involves other parts of the Act that purportedly presuppose the availability of tax credits on both federal and state Exchanges.”

Jiggery-pokery is pretty key here. You see a lot of jiggery-pokery like phrases in his comedy, and it's key to his brand of Shakespeare wit for people who peaked during 6th grade English.

About him is often said he's called funny by people on both sides of the aisle. But both sides of the aisle are full of people who are considered young at 60, so, you gotta calibrate your funny expectations. He's an old man saying shit that's hilarious to other oldies. One day it'll happen to yoooouuu.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    The idea that Scalia acted based solely (edit: or even sometimes) on his personal bigotry is extremely hard to support without some base assumptions that certain legal and philosophical positions are wrong and known to be wrong by all.

Basically, if you start with the assumption that he is obviously evil it's easy to conclude that he conducted himself as SCOTUS justice based on evil personal intent.

His inconsistencies even with his own espoused doctrines revealed his biases and overall agenda, as did public comments

I still think Thomas is worse

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'll be ranting about the TSA and its bullshit tomorrow. For now I go to bed to start reading magicians and fume about my missing sammich.

• Options
    So we're currently putting historical events in a modern context, projecting bias, and throwing shit out of the windows of our treehouse.

did i miss anything?

Also we're meta commenting

• Options
    are we not linking quizzes to see what role we all have in the anime

this is important.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Gets, destroy Elki for implying I may ever get old. Erase him from the time banks. God bless.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i dont think scalia was evil or had evil intent

even assholes don't tend to consider themselves the bad guys

they just happen to believe things that make them actual bad guys

• Options
    Gets, destroy Elki for implying I may ever get old. Erase him from the time banks. God bless.

Hai, Getsu!

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I'm sure he's absolutely side splitting if you find homophobic jokes funny, which I suppose most people in his age cohort do.

alright

Well, if there were a politician or former SCOTUS member who was known for making 'sharp & whitty' anti-Semitic jokes, would you give that a pass?

just for a second- do you realize how insulting it is to suggest that i'm only bothered by wrong acts that target groups to which i belong? maybe you actually think i'm a piece of shit, in which case i guess this is a legitimate, probing question. but if you don't, then take note of it next time you're in this situation.

to answer your question, though- i wouldn't give virulent antisemitism a pass any more than i would virulent anti-black bigotry or homophobia. i'm not giving scalia 'a pass', in whatever litmus test context you're suggesting. whatever gross things he's said remain gross. what i'm taking issue with is what seems like the suggestion that holding bigoted views is the sum of a person. i don't believe there are beliefs that so fully inform someone's identify as to squeeze out any possible room for other traits or descriptors. maybe if someone holds reprehensible views you could say 'these are so bad that i don't care if he's funny, or charitable in his community' or whatever. and maybe scalia wasn't actually funny! like i said, a quick google didn't produce many chuckles from me. but i'm still comfortable with the idea that a truly horrible person can be clever or loyal or whatever.

And now Cheeto will be replacing both of them with actual literal demons from hell. Friendship with him sure did a lot of good for the country, eh?

Her friendship with him didn't stop him from using his position to bring harm to people, and now they'll both be replaced by people with even more malice and who will seek to harm far, far more people.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't mean shit to anyone but the two of them. The rest of us don't get any benefit from their friendship. So... good for them? The fuck do I care that RBG was friends with that dickhead?

I believe it was mentioned as a measure of him as a human person. Like, he was not literally a raging asshole 100 percent of the time

• Options
    I mean, I've been friends with many an assholes in my life. I enjoy their company. I would never put them in a position of power over anyone, let alone on the fucking Supreme Court.

• Options
    are we not linking quizzes to see what role we all have in the anime

this is important.

due i'm sorry but even i didn't need a quiz to know which anime guy i was

i'm sorry to tell you you're less an anime guy than chanus

wait why am i sorry for you

• Options

did i miss anything?

Also we're meta commenting

Oh right.

Also speaking of your avatar. It seems like the Mad Max game could be pretty dang good? I'm less than an hour into it but it's gorgeous and shapes the world presented in the films.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    stalin was a handsome young monster

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

alright

Gadaffi was a personal & lifelong friend of Nelson Mandela.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I still want to know where castle found some fking cold weather

This 82 degrees bullshit is really making me mad when I stop to think about it or go outside or feel my A/C kick on.

• Options

alright

I believe it was mentioned as a measure of him as a human person. Like, he was not literally a raging asshole 100 percent of the time

Again, what does that matter? No one is 100% a dick. People are people. They do good and they do evil. They love and they hate. They care and they turn their backs. I'm sure he was a human person.

I don't care.

He wasn't humane when it mattered the most.

• Options

alright

Again, what does that matter? No one is 100% a dick. People are people. They do good and they do evil. They love and they hate. They care and they turn their backs. I'm sure he was a human person.

I don't care.

The original discussion started as a discussion about that point, but yes we get you don't care

• Options

This 82 degrees bullshit is really making me mad when I stop to think about it or go outside or feel my A/C kick on.

It's decently chilly in Seattle. 40 tonight. Highs in the low 30s next week.

• Options

cold is just the absence of energy so maybe he's like some sort of zen master

or really lazy

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Calling him Goebells is just absurd and so dumb. That's when this whole conversation died.

I'm taking my mom to the Nazi propaganda exhibit tomorrow by the by.

@the ender I don't think you're capable of admitting when you're wrong but I hope you'll look inside about invoking the nazis. You do it a lot and people won't take it seriously when the real nazis show up.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

you want me to bottle up some of this snow that's about to drop on us and send it down to you?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

The fuck

It was high of 62 today and it's 50 right now

@spool32

The high broke the record yesterday at 82 by 6 degrees but today was SUPER WINDY and made the 60 feel like 45

• Options
    Source: I spent a lot of the day outside at a dog park with parents and doges

• Options

The fuck

It was high of 62 today and it's 50 right now

@spool32

The high broke the record yesterday at 82 by 6 degrees but today was SUPER WINDY and made the 60 feel like 45

yeah high of 62 is Not Good Enough

Where's my fking 30s?? I want to wear a coat and gloves at least once more this year damnit!

• Options
    It's 60/50 tomorrow high low

• Options
    edited December 2016

it's 24 with wind chill in my part of ohio and we're looking at like 6 inches of snow by morning

oops nevermind they dropped it down to 4 inches.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The idea that Scalia acted based solely (edit: or even sometimes) on his personal bigotry is extremely hard to support without some base assumptions that certain legal and philosophical positions are wrong and known to be wrong by all.

Basically, if you start with the assumption that he is obviously evil it's easy to conclude that he conducted himself as SCOTUS justice based on evil personal intent.

Given his track record and history it's difficult for me to feel that because he wasn't pure evil that he was a good man at heart. His platform allowed his bigotry to effect millions of people.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    tho i've googled scalia's most witty quotes and most of them don't seem very witty to me

but he was an old so i guess our senses of humor trend towards incompatibility

i did laugh at the applesauce line

Conservative humor is like conservative politics

Old fashioned, tasteless, and hurtful to minorities.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Fuck ive been trying so hard to help porp get more rest ever since her sleep apnea diagnosis and i just woke her up trying to charge my phone i feel like a real jackass :/

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    I mean leave the heat off and 50 feels p cold.

I love the cold. That's why I'll go north again sometime :)

• Options
    Fuck ive been trying so hard to help porp get more rest ever since her sleep apnea diagnosis and i just woke her up trying to charge my phone i feel like a real jackass :/

In your defense the apnea was seconds away from doing it

• Options
    oh castle thinks 50° is chilly

so there mystery solved

• Options

Bone her gently to sleep

• Options

alright

I don't care.

The original discussion started as a discussion about that point, but yes we get you don't care

Spool said that RBG considered him a friend, and we should consider that when considering him.

I disagree. His legacy and the vast majority of lives he touched are completely disconnected from this fact. It doesn't matter if the pope has him on speeddial, the mark he left on this world was not informed by he friends he made but by the decisions he ruled on.

• Options
    i want to make like a sandwich

but i also don't want my grave to say 2 fat 2 live

steam_sig.png
  • Options

it's 24 with wind chill in my part of ohio and we're looking at like 6 inches of snow by morning

oops nevermind they dropped it down to 4 inches.

There we go, that's what I'm talking about.

When I crack 150k/yr it is going to be Christmas in Colorado in the mountains, followed by Winter [chat] Week for anybody I can coerce or bribe to come.

This discussion has been closed.