Mahjong and parents pc

QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
So, while home over the holidays we took dads laptop through a full reset, and since he is on vista, a lot of plugins are abandoning him. Thus, he can't play the online mahjong he prefers (the matching game style) A brief search shows...a lot of sketchy shovel-ware. I can't imagine that no one else has parents who want their solitaire and mahjong. I also can't imagine that there isn't a perfectly fine downloadable version of the game. But the shovel-ware makes it hard to find. Anything recommended? Preferably it can run on a toaster, we sure don't care about the graphics/3d seems a waste anyway.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I recommend kongregate.com. They have like 35,000 results for games that come up when you search for "mahjong", he can pick whatever style strikes his fancy, and it's login-based so you can log in from pretty much anywhere you want. Some games come with achievements available, and anyway it's just a really fun site to browse. You can friend people and get points to level your account, or you can just ignore all that, pick the one game you want to play, and go for it.

I sometimes need a TD fix, so I have a few games favorited on there that I turn to, like GemCraft, if I want to play something like that. They even have a MTG-like game that I found more fun than actual MTG. :P

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    JuliusJedocQuidShadowfire
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    Kongregate does have a bunch of good ones. Bookmarking the mahjong tag search under the "puzzle" category might be the best way to leave your parents with a lot of options without too many non-mahjong games ending up in the search results.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice but I'm really looking for something he can download and not need to be online and deal with his..."issues" with plugins

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I've been looking for a good Mahjong game on Steam for ages, but it's all crap. The Mahjongg Huntress is the best one I've found on there, but it's a bit buggy. Seems like all the decent casual game makers have moved to online services and mobile. So... if you find a really good one, let me know too!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Maybe try and find a module (or whatever) in table top game maker? I don't own it so I am not sure how it works but there is a thread for it around here somewhere.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I don't know if their launcher requires online all the time now but big fish games are full of stuff like mahjongg, solitaire, and hidden picture games. When i had a cheap windows tablet I bought a bunch of stuff from them and they are always running sales.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Do you have an office supply store near you?
    If you do, hit them up and see what games they have. I know the ones around here tend to have a load of board and card games that have minimal software requirements.
    They should come on a disk and not need any network connection to run.

I know it's not ideal since it's not a download and not free, but that way you don't have to worry (as much) about hidden malware or other unpleasantness.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    So, while home over the holidays we took dads laptop through a full reset, and since he is on vista, a lot of plugins are abandoning him. Thus, he can't play the online mahjong he prefers (the matching game style) A brief search shows...a lot of sketchy shovel-ware. I can't imagine that no one else has parents who want their solitaire and mahjong. I also can't imagine that there isn't a perfectly fine downloadable version of the game. But the shovel-ware makes it hard to find. Anything recommended? Preferably it can run on a toaster, we sure don't care about the graphics/3d seems a waste anyway.

As Lindsey mentions above, Big Fish Games is absolutely your go-to for mahjong solitaire games. Also hidden object games, match-3s, card games, low-key RPGmaker RPGs... they're like Steam for your parent's generation, complete with frequent sales.

Their games come with a launcher but I'm pretty sure you can make a desktop icon for any of them so they can launch directly, so you don't need to log into Big Fish and see ads for promos and new games etc.

May recommend that lest your dad fall victim to the sort of game hoarding nonsense best left to the younger set. :)

Shadowfire
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Hah, thanks all. It's just so weird to me that there isn't some lightweight free program for the ancient, out of copy-write game. Oh well! I'll find something on big fish to swing his way. Apparently we need more nerds playing mahjong.