As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    $1.5M HYPE!! not convinced they'll hit $2M but its looking a lot more likely that i thought at the start of the week.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    This couch guy is putting me to sleep.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    "Video games are bad for society"
    And yet the gaming community continues to raise millions of dollars for various charities every year.

Canderson1989 on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Majora's Mask is always the least interesting Zelda to watch for me. Dunno why.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017

Majora's Mask is always the least interesting Zelda to watch for me. Dunno why.

It feels like it's gone on for far longer than it should.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "Video games are bad for society"
    And yet the gaming community continues to raise millions of dollars for various charities every year.
    I dunno, if you see the social strains that rises up from someone having an opinion on video games, or even playing them...

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So. Lessons to learn from using bits as donation incentives.

1) MILLIONS of bits sounds insane to people, even if you explain it to them that it's pennies. It's way more daunting a number than "fifty thousand." Phrasing in this stuff matters.
    2) Where was Twitch saying, "We will match" (even a portion) "the donation if the incentive is met"? I know it doesn't give them money, which is the point of all this, but they're a corporation and they loooooove charity tax write-offs so why not?
    3) Seriously why would you force people into signing up for another thing like this?

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

1) MILLIONS of bits sounds insane to people, even if you explain it to them that it's pennies. It's way more daunting a number than "fifty thousand." Phrasing in this stuff matters.
    2) Where was Twitch saying, "We will match" (even a portion) "the donation if the incentive is met"? I know it doesn't give them money, which is the point of all this, but they're a corporation and they loooooove charity tax write-offs so why not?
    3) Seriously why would you force people into signing up for another thing like this?

looking at where they ended up i thing a 2.5M goal would have been doable. when you start getting close to a goal its an easier sell to get an extra few donations with a few "we're almost there" shout outs. also, it seems that the US is the only place where you can earn bits by watching ads, so that puts a limit on who has bits to spare. if i could have contributed by watching a few Twitch ads i would have, even if it only amounted a few cents. though even then, i think as a first try 1M bits might have been a more reasonable goal and something to build on going forward.

like i said before, hats off to them for trying to expand the ways in which people can contribute but they obviously overestimated what they'd get through this method. hopefully they come back with a more achievable goal at AGDQ '18. and i agree with the point that Twitch should be matching any bit donations. really does seem like they get more than they give out of their deal with GDQ.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Oh my god enough with the glitches, I just want to watch botw before bed.

Apparently this run is eleventy billion hours long.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    they are matching some percentage, but it's basically only enough to make their gigantic take from bits competitive with paypal's 2.3% take.

but really i doubt any of that matters because the reason people don't want to engage with bits is because GDQ chat is fucking horrible and the people who are dropping thousands of dollars on this shit aren't sitting in chat spamming emotes.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

For the first, Majora's Mask was the bits donation incentive, right? Seems like they made it, so I'm not sure where this is coming from?
    For the second, yeah that would've been cool of them to do that, but they aren't in any way obligated to do it so I don't really think this is as much of a lesson to learn as much of a thing that would be kinda nice to do. For the third, I think it's more of a "if we have this system, we may as well make use of it," thing.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    cB557 wrote: »

For the first, Majora's Mask was the bits donation incentive, right? Seems like they made it, so I'm not sure where this is coming from?
    For the second, yeah that would've been cool of them to do that, but they aren't in any way obligated to do it so I don't really think this is as much of a lesson to learn as much of a thing that would be kinda nice to do. For the third, I think it's more of a "if we have this system, we may as well make use of it," thing.

Majoras fight blindfolded was the bit incentive. It was not met.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »

Majoras fight blindfolded was the bit incentive.

yeah the incentive was 5M bits to do the final boss blindfolded. they raised around 2.27M bits so not even half way to the goal.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

looking at where they ended up i thing a 2.5M goal would have been doable. when you start getting close to a goal its an easier sell to get an extra few donations with a few "we're almost there" shout outs. also, it seems that the US is the only place where you can earn bits by watching ads, so that puts a limit on who has bits to spare. if i could have contributed by watching a few Twitch ads i would have, even if it only amounted a few cents. though even then, i think as a first try 1M bits might have been a more reasonable goal and something to build on going forward.

like i said before, hats off to them for trying to expand the ways in which people can contribute but they obviously overestimated what they'd get through this method. hopefully they come back with a more achievable goal at AGDQ '18. and i agree with the point that Twitch should be matching any bit donations. really does seem like they get more than they give out of their deal with GDQ.
    I don't think this was their call necessarily to use bits. I think Twitch is wanting major channels / events to promote it, because it's a revenue stream for Twitch. Unfortunately, either GDQ or Twitch or both miscalculated debuting it for SGDQ.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    but really i doubt any of that matters because the reason people don't want to engage with bits is because GDQ chat is fucking horrible and the people who are dropping thousands of dollars on this shit aren't sitting in chat spamming emotes.

seems v speculative

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    I'm curious as to how many of these 1000+ dollar donations are one guy vs a group of people all donating under one guys name.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

seems v speculative
    It's a very safe speculation to make. I also wouldn't lean too far into defending Twitch chat as an institution because it's actual social poison.

• Options
    Twitch chat has gone to emotes-only already by the way, in case you need proof of it being a vile piece of shit.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    i would imagine the big factor to be that to do twitch bits you got to make a twitch account and buy them, and then how do you use them*? and why would you do that when money works fine and is straightforward to use

I don't really get how the nonsense of chat factors in to not wanting to use bits, you don't need to read chat to use them - is it that people are afraid they will be social poisoned by typing in proximity to it

*I actually know

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2017
    They seriously need to do something about chat, as emote-only isn't a good solution.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The thing is, why would you buy Twitch bits to give? The conversion is 1.4 real world pennies for 1 bit. You're better off giving to GDQ directly in a donation.

• Options
    i would imagine the big factor to be that to do twitch bits you got to make a twitch account and buy them, and then how do you use them*? and why would you do that when money works fine and is straightforward to use

I don't really get how the nonsense of chat factors in to not wanting to use bits, you don't need to read chat to use them - is it that people are afraid they will be social poisoned by typing in proximity to it

*I actually know

i keep chat hidden as a rule and i expect i'm not the only one. opening up it to give what amounts to a few cents isn't a great motivator. so i think that could play back into your first point of 'why use bits when i could give more in another format and still avoid chat'.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There is no reason. I imagine Amazon paid them or gave them some deal in exchange for stupid bit incentives.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017

*I actually know

i keep chat hidden as a rule and i expect i'm not the only one. opening up it to give what amounts to a few cents isn't a great motivator. so i think that could play back into your first point of 'why use bits when i could give more in another format and still avoid chat'.

it also plays back into my point of how do you use them because you can use bits for large amounts just as easily
    there may be a perception that bits are used for like....10 cents at a time only?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options

*I actually know

it also plays back in my point of how do you use them because you can use bits for large amounts just as easily
    there may be a perception that bits are used for like....10 cents at a time only?

yeah that could be an issue too for anyone that doesn't spend a lot of time on Twitch and using chat. though i do feel that the inclusion of a bits incentive was aimed at the Twitch faithful and they just overestimated what they'd get from them in that format. part of that could be down to a misunderstanding of what each bit is worth and the size of the goal seeming beyond what the reward/prize* was worth.

*for lack of better term.

• Options
    for a second there i thought she was gonna use the hover trick from Jak 2. :P

• Options
    Oh my god you guys this Breath of the Wild run has me in tears, this is amazing. And the best part, none of this crap is frame-perfect yadda yadda. This is just creativity gone wild.

• Options
    OH MY GOD

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Oh my god you guys this Breath of the Wild run has me in tears, this is amazing. And the best part, none of this crap is frame-perfect yadda yadda. This is just creativity gone wild.

yeah even the couch had a convo about just that.

"what's the window of time for the trick?"
    "eh, people time it differently, but its a pretty big window"

saying that though, i'm willing to bet that in the coming months they'll find that you can get more speed from these tricks with more exact timing.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    my understanding of the run is it's like 90% ganon grinding, enjoy this part

though we're 3/5 finished from the estimate so some of that math may be off

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    That death, it was glorious!

• Options
    my understanding of the run is it's like 90% ganon grinding, enjoy this part

we're 30 minutes in with an estimate of 50 minutes so i don't think the boss fight is gonna be quite that dominant.

• Options
    95%

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    I get that it wasn't but it really feels like this game was tailor made for speedrunning.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    I get that it wasn't but it really feels like this game was tailor made for speedrunning.

well they did say that you'd be able to go straight to the end boss right from the beginning. i don't think this was the intended route exactly, but they at least had an idea that some people would 'finish' it pretty quick.

• Options
    OMBRE D'EAU DE GANON

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    OMBRE D'EAU DE GANON

Pour Homme

• Options
    That was the highlight of the event for me.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So when they find the exploitative frame perfect stuff, half hour?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    That was the highlight of the event for me.

I haven't played it yet but that Mario relay race was so good that it is hard to top. I have dark souls and Zelda tattoos and even I thought that race was a ton of fun.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
This discussion has been closed.