As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    yeah i just thought there was a bit more time before the Undertale run was gonna start. but donations still pouring, that total is getting higher and higher. i normally don't see the end of the event, its gonna be very early morning for me, but this year i think i'm gonna stick it out. got to see how high this goes.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    With another hour to go, this is going to keep climbing in the best way.

It's been a long week, I'm sincerely happy to be winding down the weekend with this finale going on in the background.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    its slowed down a bit but is still climbing. just past $2,150,000 and is still jumping up bit by bit. can't wait to see the final tally.

• Options
    2.194m and climbing, no way we don't pass 2.2.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    2.2 Million Dollars!!!!

EDIT: god damn my heart stopped when the ticker paused at $2,199,999.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So yeah, TGH and Undertale basically saved the vibe of the event after the sour ending to the Metroid race...so good on him, awesome run of Undertale.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So yeah, TGH and Undertale basically saved the vibe of the event after the sour ending to the Metroid race...so good on him, awesome run of Undertale.

there was some extra incentives thrown in before the run started and the GDQ staff/announcers helped turn it around too. but TGH put in an awesome run that was a fine cap on an amazing week.

• Options
    Yeah, definitely, some of the incentives helped...but TGH really embracing the crowd and letting them get excited and have fun with him really goes with the spirit of the event. After the awkwardness of the end of Metroid and how I feel all the crowd shushing and super serious mode was against the spirit of the event, I'm really happy TGH kept it light and awesome.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    yeah, the mood in the room took a major hit near the end of the Metroid race and TGH certainly gets a ton of the credit for turning that around. HUG THAT GOAT! HUG THAT GOAT! HUG THAT GOAT!

• Options
    That Sans fight :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    what a good run. And almost a no-hit on sans.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    as it stands, just a couple of thousand dollars short of being $1M more than last year. over $600,000 more than their previous best in 2015. just a tremendous result.

• Options
    Okay guys, third time's a charm, you can do it... show this vid...

• Options
    Haha, a random speed runner just got hosted by GDQ. He just jumped to 140k viewers.

• Options
    That must've been a hell of a surprise.

"Sorry you have to hear my sniffles..."

Yeah man, no worries and no pressure, just 140k people watching you all of a sudden...

• Options
    I dunno, I thought his "Oh man, 140k people get to hear my sniffles" was pretty well timed. Took it in stride.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I get why the silence/concentration was needed at the end of the Metroid run, because dodging the baby is a bitch. But.. yeah. Going silent like that was against the hype building up in the room all afternoon, since TASbot.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Athenor wrote: »
    I get why the silence/concentration was needed at the end of the Metroid run, because dodging the baby is a bitch. But.. yeah. Going silent like that was against the hype building up in the room all afternoon, since TASbot.

I get and understand that, but as a runner, you should not go in to the Super Metroid race of a GDQ thinking it's going to be a super serious run. I don't mind the announcer telling people to hush as runners reached that part. I do mind the wet blanket the couch tried to throw over the crowd (not even counting the step in front of a bus asshole). You shouldn't be a runner, or on the couch, for that race if you can't handle it being a bit rowdy and not the ideal conditions to make a run. Honestly only one runner seemed to even be that upset, the others took it in stride. It was far more the one guy on the couch being a complete joy kill.

e: At the end of the day, the whole thing could have been handled much more tactically. Call it a learning experience. The Waluigi shit stopped being funny quick, I think a tactical "Guys, the Waluigi stuff is just annoying, calm it down" from the GDQ announcer could have taken a scalpel to that problem, rather than a sledge hammer. If the couch had explained a tad more "Hey, please be quiet when you see them doing the baby skip" I think people would have gotten it rather than just "SHUT UP EVERYONE SHUT UP UNTIL THE RUN IS OVER". Note how all TGH's couch had to say was "Hey Teege, you want to concentrate on this fight right?" for Sans and the crowd dropped right in to line (outside of a little rhythmic clapping).

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I didn't catch the Super Metroid race, but I thought it sounded interesting. I really enjoyed the Link to the Past race and the Mystery Game race, so apparently I like the race events. Would it still be worth watching even with the issues that cropped up?

I do agree that the Undertale run (I caught the last half of it or so) was great, the crowd was awesome and the runner and his couch people were fantastic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The first 3/4ths of the Metroid race was fine. It got real weird and awkward near the end.

Honestly, just go watch last years Super Metroid race. It was the best ever, crazy close, very hype crowd, runners were having a great time.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

I get and understand that, but as a runner, you should not go in to the Super Metroid race of a GDQ thinking it's going to be a super serious run. I don't mind the announcer telling people to hush as runners reached that part. I do mind the wet blanket the couch tried to throw over the crowd (not even counting the step in front of a bus asshole). You shouldn't be a runner, or on the couch, for that race if you can't handle it being a bit rowdy and not the ideal conditions to make a run. Honestly only one runner seemed to even be that upset, the others took it in stride. It was far more the one guy on the couch being a complete joy kill.

e: At the end of the day, the whole thing could have been handled much more tactically. Call it a learning experience. The Waluigi shit stopped being funny quick, I think a tactical "Guys, the Waluigi stuff is just annoying, calm it down" from the GDQ announcer could have taken a scalpel to that problem, rather than a sledge hammer. If the couch had explained a tad more "Hey, please be quiet when you see them doing the baby skip" I think people would have gotten it rather than just "SHUT UP EVERYONE SHUT UP UNTIL THE RUN IS OVER". Note how all TGH's couch had to say was "Hey Teege, you want to concentrate on this fight right?" for Sans and the crowd dropped right in to line (outside of a little rhythmic clapping).

All of this.

The point of GDQ's is to make money for charity with an entertaining showcase. It's not for super serious runs where WRs or even PBs are up for grabs. If they happen, cool, but they should be considered incidental.

A hyped crowd is generally more useful for the generation of donations than a dead one, too. It makes the people at home want to join the fun. There are limits, of course, but telling people to walk in front of a shuttle bus is a terrible way to react to those limits. It's the kind of thing I expect a 12 year old to say, not an adult, and certainly not an adult with a live microphone a camera broadcasting live to the world.

Hopefully the guy learns from it and grows up a bit.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Nightslyr wrote: »

All of this.

The point of GDQ's is to make money for charity with an entertaining showcase. It's not for super serious runs where WRs or even PBs are up for grabs. If they happen, cool, but they should be considered incidental.

A hyped crowd is generally more useful for the generation of donations than a dead one, too. It makes the people at home want to join the fun. There are limits, of course, but telling people to walk in front of a shuttle bus is a terrible way to react to those limits. It's the kind of thing I expect a 12 year old to say, not an adult, and certainly not an adult with a live microphone a camera broadcasting live to the world.

Hopefully the guy learns from it and grows up a bit.

Yeah seriously what the fuck was up with that bus comment. I thought it was some kind of in joke I was missing but no the dude was dead serious. Absolutely killed the mood of the run for me and I pretty much tuned out.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The WAAs from the crowd were distracting/annoying some people on the couch. I can understand the pressure of doing a run coupled with background distractions, but there's also this thing called "being an adult" where you just ask people to be silent. For fuck's sake, it's a marathon that has a nickname for periods of audience silence. It's not difficult.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    What slays me is that with phrasing like if you want to kill cancer jump in front of the shuttle, it means he kind of workshopped it in his head for a while before saying it

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    2.2 MILLION raised! That's so awesome.

Aside from the drama caused by some folks the whole thing was great as usual! That Wind Waker run was my favorite.

Summer Games Done Quick will be here before we know it!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think at this point we should accept that someone will make a fool of themselves every event at least once. Might be because this is so big now that it is pretty much impossible to avoid.

At least this one was very short and quickly taken care of.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I fell asleep about halfway through the Undertale run and woke up just in time for the tail end of the "Thanks for playing" type video they played to cap off the show :(
    I'm too old to hang anymore.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Aside from the drama caused by some folks the whole thing was great as usual! That Wind Waker run was my favorite.

I honestly can't wait. The GDQs are some of my favorite events of the year, and I hope it keeps getting bigger and better. I hope that with the Switch coming out that there will be a new infusion of runs, too.

• Options
    Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Next time when someone comes up to you and state that gaming is bad for you/waste of time, let them know that this fantastic gaming community has raised over $2 million for charity and 10 million across ALL GDQs.

The gaming community kicks ass.

Canderson1989 on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Year-wide the gaming community combined raises 10's of millions of dollars for charities and many of them focus on Children. Every little bit counts and any 'Player One' can sit down and pop up a stream and collect and do their part just by playing video games!

Anyone still making that argument is just a dead voice in the air, let the wind carry it to the past as we continue to focus on the present.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Finally getting around to finishing watching the Undertale run. Just noticed that he had one of the random Gaster NPCs show up and just kind of casually walked off like nothing happened.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I honestly can't wait. The GDQs are some of my favorite events of the year, and I hope it keeps getting bigger and better. I hope that with the Switch coming out that there will be a new infusion of runs, too.

Pretty sure there won't be Switch runs for SGDQ. Lack of releases aside, I think there's something like a six-month minimum period before they consider games for GDQ runs.
    (I was watching someone running DK Tropical Freeze and he said he wasn't allowed to run it in the next GDQ because it was still too new at the time.)

AGDQ 18, on the other hand...

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Have all of the speedruns been compiled on to a site with links to view individual runs yet?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    a lot of youtube videos are very rough cuts done during the marathon, so start times may be late into the video and tech issues may be present.

Waiting for the clean uploads to add to the OP

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I usually scroll down to like the first 5 comments and someone posts the start time.

I thought that has been the case in all vids ever put on youtube.

• Options
    Waiting for the clean uploads to add to the OP

And I'm eagerly looking forward to the 'suggested runs' being in the OP as much as I am my coin arriving in a month or two. :-D

2 PAX coins (just supported, didn't attend sadly), 2 Mass Effect coins, and this, I really should look into some kind of proper display arrangement at some point.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I usually scroll down to like the first 5 comments and someone posts the start time.

I thought that has been the case in all vids ever put on youtube.

Yeah, I don't think they're going to cut the waffle out of those. Clean re-uploads are usually only for when the original is poor quality for some reason.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I've begun adding recommendations to the OP! Gimme your suggestions if you have any.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I'm like totally new to this GDQ thing, but I really enjoyed several different things they did. Some of the things like the Batman: Arkham City run were full of so many glitch abuses that while kind of interesting I didn't find really entertaining. On the other hand, I found the Final Fantasy speedrun to be entertaining, but not for any gameplay or special glitch reasons, just for the crazy amount of knowledge about the game the guys doing it had.

Something I didn't think would be entertaining at all was a speedrun of Not Another Needle Game, which is a fan game of I Wanna Be The Guy. I had heard of I Wanna Be The Guy before, but never played it and had no idea people had made their own versions of it, much less having speedrun communities (if fairly small ones). And yet I was sitting there watching this brutally hard platformer and listening to the commentary and having a blast. If anybody wants to see some people having some real fun playing a difficult game without the benefit of glitches, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdrEnh_X7Yk

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.