As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Taya wrote: »
    Yeah AGDQ and SDGQ is supposed to show how generous and amazing the gaming community is but really it showcases that the community is still full of trash.

internet anonymity will do that

I feel like the social media age has proven that this is not the secret to people being shitty. Because plenty of people are super comfortable being completely public trash under their real name and persona these days.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I really don't care about what appears to be more "corporate" now because it's still entertaining and it's raising more money than it has in the past for charity which is the point.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Were there any women back in the day that ran (cis or trans)? I can remember one run with Trihex where they had an incentive to get him to take his shirt off, which would probably not fly today, but otherwise I am drawing a blank. Admittedly I have only watched as far back as the YouTube channel has uploaded which I think is 13 or 14. (For the record he did have to take his shirt off and he is in fact pretty buff).

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Were there any women back in the day that ran (cis or trans)? I can remember one run with Trihex where they had an incentive to get him to take his shirt off, which would probably not fly today, but otherwise I am drawing a blank. Admittedly I have only watched as far back as the YouTube channel has uploaded which I think is 13 or 14. (For the record he did have to take his shirt off and he is in fact pretty buff).

There are a few cis women here and there. YellowKillerBee and Edobean were runners at one point:

YellowKillerBee
    Edobean

I know there are others, but it's hard to find based off of thumbnails. GDQs are still the white man's game.

As for Trihex taking off his shirt, I believe GDQ got a lot of criticism from the PCF and Twitch, which is why no one is allowed to do that any more. Calebhart42 also had a shirtless run a while ago.

SGDQ 2014 is when they became more corporate, and were out of someone's basement. Case in point this, from SGQD 2012:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwo0kGMInrM

As a general rule, AGDQ 2014 and before are on the SDA YouTube link. SGQD 2014 and later are all on the GameDoneQuick YouTube. There are parts of SGDQ 2014 that are missing that I don't remember where they are, that are not on either of those two channels.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    How are you going to prevent cancer if you don't take your shirt off?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the shirtless thing is a site-wide rule on twitch due to their not wanting anyone to do strip stuff

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    the shirtless thing is a site-wide rule on twitch due to their not wanting anyone to do strip stuff

Look if they really want the bits they gotta follow the market.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

There are a few cis women here and there. YellowKillerBee and Edobean were runners at one point:

YellowKillerBee
    Edobean

I know there are others, but it's hard to find based off of thumbnails. GDQs are still the white man's game.

As for Trihex taking off his shirt, I believe GDQ got a lot of criticism from the PCF and Twitch, which is why no one is allowed to do that any more. Calebhart42 also had a shirtless run a while ago.

SGDQ 2014 is when they became more corporate, and were out of someone's basement. Case in point this, from SGQD 2012:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwo0kGMInrM

As a general rule, AGDQ 2014 and before are on the SDA YouTube link. SGQD 2014 and later are all on the GameDoneQuick YouTube. There are parts of SGDQ 2014 that are missing that I don't remember where they are, that are not on either of those two channels.

Got about a minute in and someone says congrats you won the [inaudible] perler

I can't believe they are still giving away perlers tbh

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh My God how did I miss PJ breaking another game?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q2NAbax5qg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    The Super Metroid commentary was absolute gold.

yeah not all of that guy's jokes were winners but he had a couple that were real good, way above standard couch fare

I especially liked "hey man. let's go bowling"

"yeah...as long as we back up to the thirty step line"

and then:

"he's opted to go underneath the lane"

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited July 2017
    No one has any better examples than 'can no longer remove shirts', which is a apparently a twitch policy not a gdq one?

Knob on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Do you have to be a speedrunner or a member of those communities to attend GDQ events live?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Henroid wrote: »
    Do you have to be a speedrunner or a member of those communities to attend GDQ events live?

No, they open registration a few months ahead of each event. You just pay the admission. They set up an arcade and such for attendees to play with when not watching runs, and there is a lot of tabletop gaming going on. It lasted a good couple weeks before filling up, it's nowhere near the insanity of getting into PAX or anything.

You can of course also attend without paying by having a run or volunteering.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Ah. Well I dunno if I'll go just yet but if anyone from here considers going for AGDQ 2018 I'd be that much more motivated, on account of not knowing ANYONE from those speedrun communities as it is. Figure I'll treat myself to a rad birthday vacation.

• Options
    SGDQ works well for me since I live in the area. If I had to travel I'd just watch the stream.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the thing that's a big bummer to me about behind the scenes politics is how a lot of the organizers know that getting a run can be a big boost to a runner's streaming income and don't necessarily seem to agree how to feel about that

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    the thing that's a big bummer to me about behind the scenes politics is how a lot of the organizers know that getting a run can be a big boost to a runner's streaming income and don't necessarily seem to agree how to feel about that

Yeah, I can name at least three or four speedrunners I started following because of GDQ (Trihex, Halfcoordinated, Bluemap). There'll probably be a few more that I pay attention to because of this year's stream. And I'm gonna desperately hope they aren't secretly assholes (like half the Dark Souls community seems to be).

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Yeah, I can name at least three or four speedrunners I started following because of GDQ (Trihex, Halfcoordinated, Bluemap). There'll probably be a few more that I pay attention to because of this year's stream. And I'm gonna desperately hope they aren't secretly assholes (like half the Dark Souls community seems to be).

distortion is generally pretty chill, if he's one

but he seems kinda ignorant of a lot of stuff?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I still wish they'd just let bigjon run golf.

it is all i want from gdq.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2017
    I remember Withelde, a trans woman who ran back in the early days. However, as the event got bigger she said it made her more nervous, so eventually she stopped submitting.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Stilts wrote: »

No runner is entitled to future promotion by participating in GDQ, especially if they blow it for themselves. GDQ doesn't control the world of streaming and who gets paid what, and relying on streaming as a source of income is shaky to begin with.

And yet, on top of all that, this is yet again about the charity. Not streamer awareness.

Edit - To put it another way, streamers are successful or not successful. GDQ can help them be more successful via growing audience, true. But not being on GDQ doesn't subtract from audience.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    You don't actually need that large of a following to make a moderate living just streaming. I know at least a couple people who manage it with 3-400 subs and 5-10k followers along with Patreon and donations, which isn't that large of an audience.

Since that didn't add anything to the conversation I'll mention that me and my brothers ordered 5 shirts and one poster. There were some really good shirts this year.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Exposure via being on GDQ is definitely a form of compensation, even if it's not guaranteed nor universally useful. I bet some people wouldn't even bother with the time and effort if it wasn't for that. I also bet that GDQ wants to grab the biggest celebrities they can so they bring the largest audience who's primed to donate so they can keep passing their previous year's mark every year.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Opty wrote: »
    Exposure via being on GDQ is definitely a form of compensation, even if it's not guaranteed nor universally useful. I bet some people wouldn't even bother with the time and effort if it wasn't for that. I also bet that GDQ wants to grab the biggest celebrities they can so they bring the largest audience who's primed to donate so they can keep passing their previous year's mark every year.
    If this were the case they wouldn't ban Bonesaw or Big Jon or numerous other popular streamers. They don't seem to care a ton about "speedrun personalities" too much, which is nice.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Big Jon was going to be in the Mario relay but ran into unexpected vehicle expenses and couldn't attend, he has never been banned, as he is constantly explaining at length in his stream after people relate to him how sad it is that he was banned

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Okay I couldn't stay on top of SGDQ as much as I'd have liked to, what VODs are worth watching?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Okay I couldn't stay on top of SGDQ as much as I'd have liked to, what VODs are worth watching?

There's a spoiler tag with game recs in the OP, and I also posted this 2 pages ago:
    Goose! wrote: »
    Also, here's my full rec list
    Goose! wrote: »

Nier Automata
    Jackal
    Link to the Past
    Jedi Knight II
    Jedi Outcast
    KH2 the longer one
    Freedom Planet
    Half Life
    Banjo Kazooie
    Y's
    Clustertruck
    Portal
    Super Metroid Race
    Super Mario Series Race
    Diablo 2
    Dark Souls III
    Dark Souls
    Super Panga World
    Super Mario 64
    Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Portal 2
    Earthbound

There was a ton of good runs this time out I liked SGDQ more than AGDQ this year.

Goose! on
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    My bad! I checked a page back, but generally avoid going too far backwards. Didn't think to check the OP. Thanks all the same!

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Where's the damn Earthbound run already.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    if you've never seen doom 2016 or titanfall 2 be run and like those games, they're also pretty entertaining as walls are mostly suggestions in those runs

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Titanfall 2 was cool to watch. A lot of just glitching and shit to go super fast and skip intended routes.

• Options
    I watched the Castlevania 3 VOD last night, I'd recommend it, if only because it was a Trevor-only run. Which happens almost never.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Big Jon was going to be in the Mario relay but ran into unexpected vehicle expenses and couldn't attend, he has never been banned, as he is constantly explaining at length in his stream after people relate to him how sad it is that he was banned
    I think he might have actually been banned from submitting runs for, like, one event a year ago after some relatively minor golf-related misunderstanding on Twitter. It's long past either way though.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    He may have been, like, shadow-banned in that they may have decided not to pick his runs in retaliation for showing off that golf cart, but there was never an official ban, he's submitted runs pretty much every time I believe, and winds up doing some X commentary at the very least when he goes

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    What games were in the Mario relay race? I've been away this weekend and haven't had a chance to watch any runs from the last day or so.

• Options
    i think the all stars ones, 1-world

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Yep, although each team could pick the console and language of their choice for each game.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

I didn't catch the end of it, I think it was SMB, SMB2 US, SMB3, SMB2 JP?

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I didn't catch the end of it, I think it was SMB, SMB2 US, SMB3, SMB2 JP?

SMW for the last game.

• Options
    They specifically ran the NES versions of SMB1, SMB2 and SMB3, the SNES version of SMW, and then for Lost Levels they had two runners use the All-Stars SNES release while the other used the Famicon version.

This discussion has been closed.