As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon] Yellow Inspired Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee Confirmed, Gen 8 Late 2019

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    If/when pokemon ever goes to a full 3rd person game I hope they don't make wild pokemon visible on the overworld and you run into them to fight them Dragon Quest Monsters Joker style

Or if they do I hope they scale the world way the hell up because running around in the overworld in DQMJ or DQ8 just makes the whole thing feel super small when your character and the monsters all take up a huge amount of space and the monsters can't ever be packed too closely together or you would never be able to see anything so it feels empty at the same time

I know some people loathe random encounters but I love not knowing what you're gonna run into. It's a bit frustrating when you're looking for a 5% drop, I suppose, but in a game where every random encounter is a potential addition to your team, there's a certain thrill of the unknown I'd be real sad to lose.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    stealth rock being rock type has hobbled the viability of bug/fire/ice/flying for too long

Kill off Stealth Rocks, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes.

• Options
    stealth rock being rock type has hobbled the viability of bug/fire/ice/flying for too long

Kill off Stealth Rocks, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes.

Never.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Spikes and Toxic Spikes won't straight up murder a pokemon.

Only Stealth Rock needs to be reigned in.

Hell, make it so rock and ground types negate it like poison types negate toxic spikes and it'll be a good start.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »

Hell, make it so rock and ground types negate it like poison types negate toxic spikes and it'll be a good start.

Yeah Stealth Rock needs some rework and more answers than just having a Spinner, but sadly, I don't see Nintendo caring all that much since entry hazards don't really have a place in the meta of the official competitive scene.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »

Yeah Stealth Rock needs some rework and more answers than just having a Spinner, but sadly, I don't see Nintendo caring all that much since entry hazards don't really have a place in the meta of the official competitive scene.

There's also Defog, but that's more of a nuclear option since it clears entry hazards on both sides.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    The problem is that Game Freaks generally balances the game for 4v4 doubles, as that's been the tournament format since gen 3. There's a LOT less switching, so entry hazards aren't nearly as powerful as they are in 6v6 doubles. In their eyes, nerfing Stealth Rock would just make it unviable.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Top 3 personal pocket monster games (mainline).

mine are
    1. Red/Blue - The OG, spent so many hours with lots of different teams.
    2. X/ Y - kind of recaptured the feeling of playing the originals for me.
    3. Ruby/ Sapphire - Got into this one pretty late after skipping gold/silver originally, brought me back into the series

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    1. HG/SS - Not only is it a remake of one of their strongest regions, but it's packed to the brim with content and it's right at the point where they hit their stride with the core game design.
    2. BW2 - I love so many of the Gen V Pokemon, and Join Avenue and Pokemon World Tournament are my favorite side-content they've ever done.
    3. Yellow - Gen I is a mess but it's such a specific mess that I find it endlessly fascinating. I love firing up this game and doing some sort of a challenge run, or just trying to find ways to fuck with its broken, but deeply explorable code.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    White 2 was pleasantly surprising to me. I didn't play the first batch from that gen and generally disliked most of the new pokemon but the games themselves were indisputably excellent, and probably the visual high point of the entire series. The world tournament thing absolutely should be in every mainline game.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    This Pikachu/Eevee imbalance is absurd. Pikachu should be able to evolve into 7 other pokemon for things to be equal. Or Eevee, the evolution pokemon, would have to be unable to evolve at all.
    I just can't see myself choosing Pikachu over Eevee.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I really hope they are working on a normal new pokemon game alongside this Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee thing because I'm gonna be real, that sounds like fucking dogshit.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I really hope they are working on a normal new pokemon game alongside this Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee thing because I'm gonna be real, that sounds like fucking dogshit.

I mean there is undoubtedly a Generation 8 mainline game in the works. It is too soon for that though, both in terms of release timing and in "having something ready for this brand new platform" so if this rumored thing is what the SuMo team has been working on, it makes sense for it to be sort of a proof-of-concept, baseline. A remake of an existing game means they can focus their efforts on the nuts and bolts, since a ton of the world and story development is already done. Then this can be the backbone of the new generation 8 game (which is probably being worked on by the younger team that did USUM)

Also, we know for a fact that they have two teams that work in parallel. That's been the process for years now.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    You know what I really wish I could play? Valkyria Pokemon.

Let me build a party by completing recruitment quests, like Chrono Cross or whatever. Then, let me do tactical battles in Valkyria's hybrid "real-time/turn-based/command points" format, using each Pokemon's abilities to fill different battlefield roles. Pikachu as my evasive scout, Rhyhorn as my rolling tanky line-of-sight blocker, Lapras to ferry my other units across water terrain, a glass cannon Pidgeot providing air support, Scyther as a close-range assassin, etc.

Legendaries appear as one-off events in certain scenarios as you make your way through the campaign, similar to how Kat would appear under the right circumstances in Starfox 64. Equipment like held items and TMs gets unlocked through S-ranking missions.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    You know what I really wish I could play? Valkyria Pokemon.

Let me build a party by completing recruitment quests, like Chrono Cross or whatever. Then, let me do tactical battles in Valkyria's hybrid "real-time/turn-based/command points" format, using each Pokemon's abilities to fill different battlefield roles. Pikachu as my evasive scout, Rhyhorn as my rolling tanky line-of-sight blocker, Lapras to ferry my other units across water terrain, a glass cannon Pidgeot providing air support, Scyther as a close-range assassin, etc.

Legendaries appear as one-off events in certain scenarios as you make your way through the campaign, similar to how Kat would appear under the right circumstances in Starfox 64. Equipment like held items and TMs gets unlocked through S-ranking missions.

Given Pokemon Conquest, this isn't even that farfetch'd an idea.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
  • Options
    also http://garfemon.tumblr.com/

warning: this will cause mental scarring

• Options
    Garfemon is the best gift this damn Internet has ever bestowed upon us and how dare you besmirch it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    IMG_20180515_015322.png

• Options
    hUdcKPkm.png

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Burn it all down.

• Options
    What? Most of them are perfectly normal.

1a1cdkoil9h8.png
    184 - GARFUMARILL - The top of this Garfemon is NORMAL, the bottom of this Garfemon is NERMAL, the bowel movement schedule of this Garfemon is WILDLY IRREGULAR.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    1) HG/SS, on the back of a) the Pokeathlon being the greatest thing the series has ever achieved, and b) just a ton of awesome raw gameplay upgrades. The only mark against it is being set in the worst (by far) region.
    2) Emerald; my first, and just a straight up upgrade on the already great Gen III games.
    3) Platinum, for reasons similar to Emerald.

I have a much stronger affinity for specific games for their overworld rather than the Pokemon they introduce, as Pokemon lose their regional identities as you can catch them in later games and use them in the sterile competitive scene.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks I Hate It

• Options
    1) HG/SS, on the back of a) the Pokeathlon being the greatest thing the series has ever achieved, and b) just a ton of awesome raw gameplay upgrades. The only mark against it is being set in the worst (by far) region.
    2) Emerald; my first, and just a straight up upgrade on the already great Gen III games.
    3) Platinum, for reasons similar to Emerald.

I have a much stronger affinity for specific games for their overworld than the Pokemon they introduce as well, since Pokemon lose their regional identities as you can catch them in later games and use them in the sterile competitive scene.

Hahaha man you're right about our tastes for the series being incredibly different, seeing as Johto is my favorite region and 3 and 4 are my least favorite.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    You can't just post 3 of those and no link.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    You can't just post 3 of those and no link.
    also http://garfemon.tumblr.com/

warning: this will cause mental scarring

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    What? Most of them are perfectly Nermal.

A wrong has been righted

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    What? Most of them are perfectly Nermal.

A wrong has been righted

That Garfemon is only half-nermal tho

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Pokemon Go integrations that I, personally, would find acceptable:

1) Let me upload Pokemon to my smartphone and take them for walks that way, since it's harder to carry a Switch in my pocket than a 3DS.
    2) Let me convert candy from Go into low-level Pokemon on my Switch, at some suitably high conversion rate (for instance, 500 Machop candy = 1 Switch Machop).
    3) In-game weather is determined by your area's actual weather, as determined by your primary Go device's GPS. If you don't play Go, in-game weather is randomized. Weather effects spawn rates, obviously.
    4) Let me peruse my storage boxes from my phone while I'm at work, just as a fun thing.
    5) The Safari Zone (or similar) has a special section where you can go in and encounter whatever sort of Pokemon are near your phone at the moment.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I very much look forward to Pokémon Let’s Go! (Eevee) if it’s what that initial leak post suggests

I’m gonna take them directly at their word that “capturing” Pokémon is like Go, not necessarily the battle that leads to that capture

The rest sounds aces and exactly what I want

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the more I think about it the more I realize this concept must be a spinoff side thing like the ranger games or whatever

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Are we sure it's not two themed not-smart smartphones that will allow kids to PoGo without all the other apps and features a phone has these days?

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Are we sure it's not two themed not-smart smartphones that will allow kids to PoGo without all the other apps and features a phone has these days?

This...would actually be a smart move on their part. Hmm.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Pokemon Go integrations that I, personally, would find acceptable:

1) Let me upload Pokemon to my smartphone and take them for walks that way, since it's harder to carry a Switch in my pocket than a 3DS.

This yeah, but more importantly please let me hatch eggs by real-world-walking. Way preferable to pressing up and down for an hour
    2) Let me convert candy from Go into low-level Pokemon on my Switch, at some suitably high conversion rate (for instance, 500 Machop candy = 1 Switch Machop).

eh, I don't really care about this but sure
    3) In-game weather is determined by your area's actual weather, as determined by your primary Go device's GPS. If you don't play Go, in-game weather is randomized. Weather effects spawn rates, obviously.
    4) Let me peruse my storage boxes from my phone while I'm at work, just as a fun thing.
    5) The Safari Zone (or similar) has a special section where you can go in and encounter whatever sort of Pokemon are near your phone at the moment.

And these all sound great, yeah

Honestly, ever since I first played Go, my biggest hope was that Game Freak would adopt Go's trainer level idea

Once they introduced autoleveling to 50/100 for multiplayer battles (gen 4, I think?), I realized that a Pokemon's actual level isn't the important thing so much as their stats and the various modifiers like natures and EVs. And I figured, why not just do away with levels altogether? Basically autolevel every fight in the game, so the game is actually preparing you for multiplayer battles instead of it just being this different thing or saving that preparation for the battle facilities

Once you introduce autoleveling, it just seems like the natural progression, like where they'd be heading anyway

It would also be an amazing opportunity to revamp how evolution works (though not with candy, I'm not so hot on that system)

Anyway, I thought Go's idea of the trainer instead having a level and the monsters' stats scaling to that was a really clever idea that kind of hits at the same thing

I'd be pretty down for that, though I don't really expect Game Freak to be brave enough to try, I've been waiting for something like that for like a decade

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I am 100% ready to buy the game based on the leak details. Not that I wasn't already gonna buy day one anyway.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I wonder how leveling would work in the supposed leak. If it's no levels and Combat power based like on go, that sucks. If it's still levels and normal battling otherwise that would be neat, other than I am unsure how you could grind your pocket monster's levels up without battling wild pokemon.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    I wonder how leveling would work in the supposed leak. If it's no levels and Combat power based like on go, that sucks. If it's still levels and normal battling otherwise that would be neat, other than I am unsure how you could grind your pocket monster's levels up without battling wild pokemon.

I was thinking battling like normal, but then when you throw the pokeball, it switches to the Go mode, like a minigame mechanic.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Got 7 shiny Charmanders in today's Go event.
    Good haul. Evolved two of them, plus one good IV non-shiny for the event move

On the way home we stopped by a raid. My GF who didn't bother playing all day jumped in for the raid at the last second and got a shiny Ho-oh!
    Meanwhile, my non-shiny 98% Ho-oh ran away.
    Not sure if I can ever forgive...

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how they would do Pokemon go style catching on the switch. You only have access to the touchscreen when the system is undocked. I really don't wanna do motion controls or something when I've got it docked

This discussion has been closed.