As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE Online] Merch Industrial Recruitment Thread - Hellwar 1 year on and still going

• DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    WenD'l wrote: »
    *If* you want a trip in the way back machine and want to rehash some terrible posting on my part I shall endeavor to link to my first attempt at joining MerchI https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/17080950#Comment_17080950 .... now that was some quality shit posting.

Wow. They let you in after that post?

I'd say it's a good thing we got better gatekeepers now, but I think Kael let in at least 2 of my former scam targets, so....

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I think my carriers are still trapped in the north somewhere :rotate:

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • WenD'lWenD'l Registered User regular
    I'd say if a PA regular wanted to give wild west (Nullsec) meets spaceships a try... Merchi is probably worth the effort an application.

I'm living proof their standards are not 'that' high and they are chill as can be. I mean come on; the Merchi / Fleshreaper are our corporate mascots and anyone who knows & understands what those are deserve +rep out of the gate.

Eali wrote: »
    I can't text-fuck my way in like Wend'l,
    2nis1t0.jpg
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    The corp will be doing a housecleaning purge in the next week or so to remove those who have not logged in for at least about two months. If you haven't been able to log in, that's fine, you'll retain jabber and forum access. If and when you decide to come backs, simply reapply and post in this thread!

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Our friends in The Initiative finished building their shiny new home. We came by to have a look and christen it in an appropriate fashion.

That's not why I'm here today, however. The alliance is deploying in the near future, which means wartime is upon us. Peactime is fine, but also boring as vets go inactive and there aren't many ways for new players to learn the ropes. If you're looking to jump into EVE, now is a great time to get shoved into an ewar frigate, blow up, and see if you like blowing up.

• DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Our friends in The Initiative finished building their shiny new home. We came by to have a look and christen it in an appropriate fashion.

That's not why I'm here today, however. The alliance is deploying in the near future, which means wartime is upon us. Peactime is fine, but also boring as vets go inactive and there aren't many ways for new players to learn the ropes. If you're looking to jump into EVE, now is a great time to get shoved into an ewar frigate, blow up, and see if you like blowing up.

That was an impressive amount of DDs on one poor soul. Would love to see the video from his angle!

Is the liberation of my assets in Deklein in the cards? I could be coerced if so...

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
    We're not taking back Deklein, no. If you're looking to extract things out of there, there may be people you can talk to on jabber.

• DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    If you are looking to extract things from Deklein (as I am) wait until they get rid of the old nullsec stations and all your stuff gets moved to a Lowsec system.

Drain on
    N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
    edited August 2017
    ZRDFKTv.png
    Terrible MSPaint skills also on display

After months of hilariously outmining and outproducing every other non-hisec region in the game, the GSF war machine has spun up for a summer deployment. We're vacationing in the north on the border of Tribute to start lighting some lawn fires and, hopefully, lose our capfleet.

As always, the deployment started with Dear Leader hurfing some blurfs.
    Only 18 minutes of the finest of blurfs
    God this fellow likes to talk

Our deployment was blessed with the death of those unaware their safety blanket was disappearing.
    h2gnoGm.png?1
    Not shown: carriers, supercarriers, and hilarious numbers of more roquals. Bookmark this link for what should be a constant supply of hilarity.

Thousands of nerds in capital and subcapital fleets trekked north with only a few capitals dying due to yoloing to random planets with hostile fleets in system or triaging for no reason on a station in the presence of a hostile supercarrier.
    kVxYKOa.jpg
    Four separate capital fleets on a move op. Hopefully, none of these ships return. Image with brackets to make individual ships easier to spot in the spoiler below.
    89uFkir.png

We've got fantastic* propaganda.

The Ministry of Truth, headed by our very own @dragonshardz, is putting out some rad tunes.

Deployments such as these are, among other things, times when newer FCs are given the keys to bigger fleets. That means we're going to explode and explode often. Want in? If you are a member of the PA community in good standing (have posts outside of EVE threads), post in this thread with your EVE character name and send an app to Merch Industrial in game. Read the OP of this thread for general EVE information and feel free to ask questions in this thread or via PM!

Baidol on
  • NaKiNaKi Registered User new member
    edited August 2017
    Looks awesome. Not many games today offer the level of intrigue and mystery as Eve. Love it

NaKi on
    We reinforced an NC. sotiyo hiding in Pandemic Legion space yesterday. These are the new engineering structures that you use to build supercapitals. Today, NC. and PL hell bubbled the system and cynojammed the sotiyo and sat 80 titans on it when it was due to come out of reinforced. While they sat in bubbles for five hours, we went and reinforced a second sotiyo. Typically, the process would repeat tomorrow, but NC. and PL waited only for the first sotiyo to repair and then peaced out and not the extra hour before it became invulnerable. So, we went in and reinforced the first sotiyo again. Tomorrow should be entertaining with the choice of which Sotiyo to defend.

edited August 2017
    One of the sotiyos reinforced yesterday was located in MJI3-8, which is a deadend system. It came out of reinforcement first and the defenders put a few people into the system (link broke, 100+ titans, 100+supers, about 900 other ships), cynojammed the system, and bubbled the hell out of the in-gate. They sat in the system for a few hours, then went home.

I assume that said pilots only do one op a day, because the second sotiyo, in PBD-0G, came out of reinforcement invulnerability later and we jumped onto it with 46 seconds left on the timer and proceeded to put into its second timer. The final timer comes out on Saturday, which should be exciting.

Baidol on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Wait, after getting evicted from the north everyone went to delve and mined absurd amounts of ore, like those halycon days of Merch Industrial's infancy that I heard about but didn't experience? And now you're back in the north?

Was this *everyone* mining for money (the pendulum turned and it's now better than killing NPC pirates) or just the crazy few who don't manage to drive themselves insane running multiple mining accounts?

And what did you guys *do* with the ore, was there a real developed industrial machine there churning out capital ships?

I guess tales and the mechanics of the game's economy still pique my interest.

edited August 2017
    Ok reading the production values chart again, this might be a case of non-US countries using a comma instead of a period as their decimal symbol. 20.357 billion ISK per month is not an entire nullsec coalition mining everything thing, and the 20,357 billion (20.35 trillion) I interpreted it as first would probably break the game in half.

Edit: wait, looking at just Fade for instance seems to say "945 b", am I wrong about this, is that 945 billion? What happened to the game that everyone is mining everywhere?

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Hruss Blunter Re-upped!

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Ok reading the production values chart again, this might be a case of non-US countries using a comma instead of a period as their decimal symbol. 20.357 billion ISK per month is not an entire nullsec coalition mining everything thing, and the 20,357 billion (20.35 trillion) I interpreted it as first would probably break the game in half.

Edit: wait, looking at just Fade for instance seems to say "945 b", am I wrong about this, is that 945 billion? What happened to the game that everyone is mining everywhere?

They rebalanced mining a while back, and I can't speak for recent events, but for a while there everyone was indeed mining, and iirc selling to corp/alliance to power industry.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited August 2017

You are interpreting that correctly. Fade produced 945 billion isk of stuff that month. Delve produced 20.357 trillion isk of stuff that month and was outperformed only by The Forge, which is the hisec region that contains Jita, the galactic market hub.

Large scale mining was always possible with sufficient alts flying subcapital exhumbers, but CCP introduced Excavator Mining Drones, which are essentially capital-class mining drones that can be fielded by rorquals. These drones, when first introduced, were essentially equal to a hulk each. They've been nerfed several times since then, but they still pull in ore at an incredible rate. As a side-effect, this gives us long lists of dead rorquals who should know better than to mine in expensive, easily hotdropped ships while the coalition is away.

Of course, ore only gets you so far. That ore went into producing (ratting) caps, (ratting) supercaps, and rorquals. With skill injectors allowing a new player, who is willing to dump sufficient real-life cash money to purchase plex to sell on the in-game market, to instantly be cap-capable, demand has gone up. Of course, dumb capital, supercapital, and rorqual lossmails have also increased in quantity.

Edit: As for ratting, the new hotness is supercarrier ratting. This pulls in more isk than rorquals, but is also more :effort:. Carrier ratting is for the space middle class like me (~25 billion liquid isk), and afk myrmidon/vexor navy issue ratting for the newbies is still the optimal style. The thing about supercarrier ratting is that you're safe in peacetime because the coalition supercap umbrella is in the area. Now that we're away, the dead ratting supers are rolling in from people who missed the memo.

Baidol on
    edited August 2017
    Hruss Blunter Re-upped!

Welcome back! Have some propoganda.
    upcWbS9.jpg

Baidol on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Drain wrote: »
    If you are looking to extract things from Deklein (as I am) wait until they get rid of the old nullsec stations and all your stuff gets moved to a Lowsec system.

That's a thing that's happening? Old Syndicate stations going poof, too?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Where do I go for capital advice

I'm on the cusp, basically torn between shield or armor etc. I'll get a carrier first because I need the income stream, though yes I know there is a war on and that I won't be using it for a long while yet.

If the dude who can assist is reading this send a mail to Hruss Blunter about how dumb he is and how he missed the first sentence somewhere but also where that sentence is.

EDIT: Big dumb fat old TBH found what he was looking for

The Black Hunter on
    Get on jabber! We can answer all your questions on jabber. Jabber is love. Jabber is life.

We had our first major set piece fight of the deployment yesterday. We anchored a fortizar and a number of other citadels in our staging system of Hakonen two days ago with the intent to have them all come online together yesterday. Fortizars are the middle-sized citadel and allow capital ships to dock inside them. They are often used as a home station for deployments and make for very attractive targets. When you anchor a fortizar, or any of the new citadel-class structures, there is a period of vulnerability when it first comes online where it possesses only structure hitpoints and can be attacked. If nothing attacks the fortizar for 15 minutes, it self-repairs to full armor and shield and becomes invulnerable until its next vulnerability period. If sufficient damage is applied, the repair timer is paused. Deal enough damage for long enough, and the structure explodes. Now, you can't simply drop a capital fleet and alpha the structure since there is a damage cap, so you have to maintain sufficient damage while also keeping your ships alive.

Both sides did some hurf blurf and and crammed a couple thousand players into one system. That plus the Crimewatch system in lowsec cause TiDi to immediately max out to 10% for a classic TiDi slugfest. If you look at the battle report linked before, numbers were roughly even, but the opposing side had access to supercarriers while we had only carriers. As a result, our carriers got defanged faster than the supercarriers were, allowing the hostiles to eventually deal enough dps to force us from the field, resulting in the fortizars death.

We'll be anchoring another one today, so if you want in on the next fight, sign up today!

• Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Hey, can you enjoy EVE with an alpha clone as a more casual player? (like logging in only a few hours a week)?

Maybe. It depends on what you do and whether you end up finding it engaging. By design, alpha clones cannot make isk in large quantities, but you can still do a minimal amount of mining or production. If you want to explode, you can join Red vs. Blue, which are two corps in hisec that are perpetually at war and smash into each other. If you want nullsec things, you can sign up with us and we'll give you free isk, skillbooks, and access to the war in the North. The main concern is the "few hours" portion, as fleets go out regularly, but not necessarily when you're able, and if no pings go out while you're online, that's not fun for you.

The upside of alpha clones is that they're free. Make an account, try things in hisec or with us (or other organizations) and, if you're not having fun, you can stop with no strings attached.

Red vs Blue is a great suggestion, they're pretty much built for what you're asking.

As time passes you might get hooked and you're always welcome to join us, but do what you will enjoy first and foremost

For anyone wanting to take the Omega clone (paid account) plunge, Humble Bundle has a deal for the premium edition of Eve Online. For $25, you get 30 days game time (retail $15), 650 plex (retail ~ $25/~ 2.15 billion isk if sold on the market/30 days game time if you redeem 500 of the plex), and a Multiple Character Training (MCT) (retail ~ $20/~ 1.3 billion isk if sold on the market) plus some ship skins and character clothes. You can have 3 characters per account, but only one account can train at a time unless you use an MCT. As a new player, I'd either sell the MCT immediately or hold onto it as an investment in case plex, and thus everything dependent on plex, continue to rise in price.

Baidol wrote: »

You are interpreting that correctly. Fade produced 945 billion isk of stuff that month. Delve produced 20.357 trillion isk of stuff that month and was outperformed only by The Forge, which is the hisec region that contains Jita, the galactic market hub.

Large scale mining was always possible with sufficient alts flying subcapital exhumbers, but CCP introduced Excavator Mining Drones, which are essentially capital-class mining drones that can be fielded by rorquals. These drones, when first introduced, were essentially equal to a hulk each. They've been nerfed several times since then, but they still pull in ore at an incredible rate. As a side-effect, this gives us long lists of dead rorquals who should know better than to mine in expensive, easily hotdropped ships while the coalition is away.

Of course, ore only gets you so far. That ore went into producing (ratting) caps, (ratting) supercaps, and rorquals. With skill injectors allowing a new player, who is willing to dump sufficient real-life cash money to purchase plex to sell on the in-game market, to instantly be cap-capable, demand has gone up. Of course, dumb capital, supercapital, and rorqual lossmails have also increased in quantity.

Edit: As for ratting, the new hotness is supercarrier ratting. This pulls in more isk than rorquals, but is also more :effort:. Carrier ratting is for the space middle class like me (~25 billion liquid isk), and afk myrmidon/vexor navy issue ratting for the newbies is still the optimal style. The thing about supercarrier ratting is that you're safe in peacetime because the coalition supercap umbrella is in the area. Now that we're away, the dead ratting supers are rolling in from people who missed the memo.

So basically

1. There was some sort of industrial (mining) revolution in nullsec when rorquals were changed from a mining support ship to a very effective miner in its own right, and for a while the average nullsec layperson mined because it was so lucrative and mineral prices started at pre-rorqual levels.
    2. CCP rebalances rorquals a bit so that highsec multibox miners aren't hilariously outcompeted and quit the game, but mineral prices still get pretty low.
    3. As mineral prices drop, the constant ISK from NPC pirate bounties becomes more tempting, and the lower mineral prices also make it more tempting to go ratting in bigger ships like supercapitals (plus in the safety of a peacetime coalition).
    4. More (super and regular) capitals are everywhere in nullsec, hilarious lossmails abound.

What's the going price for supercaps these days anyways?

1) Sort of? The set up was quite expensive, so you needed a significant up-front investment of liquid isk. Several billion for the rorqual hull and fittings, and the drones, at the time, cost in excess of a billion each, so for a full set of five you spent 6-7 billion just for the drones. You had to already be space middle-class (10-15 billion isk) to afford it. The drones are still expensive, and some people spend their time flying around shooting them. The more ambitious use command destroyers to boosh them away to scoop and sell them.
    2) You're never going to put hisec miners out of business. The low-end minerals they produce will always be in demand around Jita.
    3) Also sort of. In addition to the isk investment, rorquals require particular long-training time skills that don't transfer over to other ships. I can train for x months to mine, or I can use my carrier to rat now.
    4) Yes. See this supercarrier from today. Note the T2 fit, lack of liquid ozone for the cyno and, of course, ratting while the coalition is away.

• DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    @Baidol update OP to "Wartime". Tia.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
    You're not my real dad!

I am bringing my alt Amandine Iggvend into the fold. Her API is under my main Hruss Blunter.

Someone told me how to get an alt in, but I forgot, so I'm doing this and waiting patiently for the grumpy eve mails

Nonono, you get grumpy jabber messages. Get on jabber!

OK I applied on MRCHI forums and my API is bundled under my main now what :S

I pushed button last week I think, so all you need to do for your alt is accept the invitation.

Also, hello everyone else! Been busy the last week, so haven't been able to update. We had some more brawls in Hakonen over our own fortizars, dropped some dreads on a titan for a cap brawl, and killed some fortizars in lowsec and, hilariously, hisec. TEST pulled out of the north, so we also pulled out and thus ends our vacation to the north. Nominally, this means peacetime, but copious amounts of drama are pouring out of the galactic southeast, and I expect to third-party some of those fights.

• damvaldamval Registered User regular
    I wanted to reapply with my char Spicer Tokila. Last time I played a few years ago I spent to much time sitting in my +4 clone because I was trying to get all the Battlecruiser and Destroyer skills maxed before they were split and ended up burning out (new job didn't help). This time CCP tricked me by giving me free alpha skill points to lure me back and it worked.

• nawojnawoj Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I am trying to show a friend of mine the glory that is eve online... now i have been a member of GUNPO and flown with the likes of Drain and Lochiel, even been tutored by the dread pirate Firia... however i am a terrible instructor as all we have accomplished is became giant care bears. He is flying a Covetor and I am in a Porpoise... we shoot rocks. while this is making decent money, it is boring as all getup.

Drain had mentioned we could join MRCHI if we were so inclined. I have spent most of my eve career in high sec, with occasional low sec roams and a short stay in a wormhole, but i have never spent any time in nullsec so this has kind of piqued my interest.

i broached the subject with my friend and after he heard of the bonuses of joining we are both of the mindset of " why NOT go out to nullsec and get blowed up?"

so i mentioned this to drain, but seeing as how there is some sort of convention thing going on in Seattle this weekend, he is busy, and to be fair, i am busy this weekend and leaving for a business trip on tuesday, and my friend is leaving to go to a wedding back home sometime next week so time is a thing we have plenty of, but i figured id post a little something here noting our interest.

tl:dr, total spy, want in.

Edit:
    i should probably mention my character is RoiRusse and i am also an Enforcer.

my Friends characters name is Martuph and i will mention he should post on here as well.

nawoj on
    "He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." ~DNA
  • chiefwhitebeardchiefwhitebeard Registered User new member
    Despite RoiRusse (Nawoj) self loathing above, he has enlightened me to the ways of EVE, and here I stand addicted to a new drug. I've heard drugs are bad, but also people are full of stupid, so take that for what you will.

As stated in Nawoj's post, I too want to get blowed up and explore this nullsec I hear told about. And I would enjoy doing that in the company of you fine folks.

Martuph is my in-game name. I don't know why. I feel like making one of the letters silent just for kicks.

Okay, I'm done. Hopefully this will suffice.

My apologies for taking so long to respond. PAX Enforcers get acceptance to the corp for free, and I'll be pushing button on RoiRusse shortly.

I will also push button for Martuph, but they will be listed as a sponsoree of RoiRusse. That means that RoiRusse is responsible for any shenanigans Martuph gets up to and will share any punishments for said shenanigans. There will be a few more hoops I'll ask you to jump through, but those can wait until you're in corp and on jabber. Follow the instructions in the welcome EVE mail, and ask questions in here, corp chat or, preferably, on jabber.

I joined after Band of Brothers got Haargothed and the Second Great War ended and I always assumed I'd never personally see an event like it. Tonight, GSF CSM Aryth flipped CO2 CSM The Judge, who happens to be a CO2 director. CO2 wallets are empty and their citadels are in the hands of TEST. The one exception is CO2's keepstar, which is now proudly owned by GSF.

Sometimes this game is pretty cool.

Fuuuuuuck me that is a coup!

Not a literal coup, as gigx was still executor at the time, but definitely a deep cut.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/12/eve-online-player-steals-space-station-in-massive-theft/