As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Trump Administration

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Serious question. Can Trump unilaterally make and use concentration camps? If so I think there is a 30% chance we will see them in the next 4 years.

No, not unilaterally. With congress and a slight majority in SCOTUS? Yes.

So basically unilaterally then.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

Maybe the tactic is to make us all so exhausted of being outraged at absurd shit all the time before he's even sworn in so we're too jaded and demoralized to give any more shits?

That's how he won the election so...

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    This is the way they keep the fillibuster, and are thus prevented by the scurrilous Democrats from implementing the rest of the incredibly terrible ideas they sold the base on, while getting the Obamacare repeal to show they actually did something.

I still think they're going to use the SCOTUS nomination to get their 'excuse' to kill the fillibuster.

You can only kill the fillibuster in the rules vote on the first day of class. After that, it's in place for two years.

So if they still haven't gotten a nominee seated by 2018 and we can't get our shit together before then, maybe.

This is not true. The legislature sets the rules and they can change them whenever they want.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    So if I get this right they know it will cost billions to repeal ACA.

But presumably they want to remove it to reduce federal spending?

So then the solution is to ignore the cost spending tens of billions of federal money. That way the excel sheet will say that spending was reduced?

This sounds like how the Greek government viewed numbers until recently.

It sounds like they can't avoid a filibuster unless it's revenue neutral, so they're trying to order the CBO to declare it revenue neutral.

But then the people demanding it be revenue neutral will know that it isn't actually revenue neutral?

Since I now know it's not revenue neutral they will of course know this as well.

Its a quirk of the US filibuster system. you can avoid the filibuster of needing 60 votes by using reconciliation but it only works if your bill is revenue neutral. So it's more than just public perception. they literally can't pass it otherwise.

Oh I didn't know there was a way to avoid filibusters using rules.

This seems dumb. Why not declare everything revenue neutral forever then.

They don't directly control how it gets analyzed. Bill get submitted to the Congressional Budget Office which is a nonpartisan office which takes the data from the bill and rates it's budget impacts.

Except it's a toothless non-partisan office that operates independently only because we agree that's what it is. But the other side doesn't agree with that anymore, and they're going to tell it to just get fucked.

The Reconciliation process and in particular the Byrd rule(which includes the sunset provisions and revenue neutral stuff) is outlined in law.

Law that has no power.

Congress cannot bind congress and implicit repeal is a thing.

Changing the rules to remove the filibuster requires more votes than just ending the filibuster. Without democrat votes, they can no longer remove it for this Congress.

Congress cannot bind a future congress, but they can bind the current. That's why any of the rules mean anything. And implicit repeal requires a law to have been passed. If the rules say it wasn't passed, it can't implicitly repeal the rules.

No it does not require more votes than ending the filibuster. It requires 50%+1. As it always has.

Congress also cannot bind the current. For the same reasons they cannot bind latter. New law supersedes old law and congress can always write new law.

The only reason that the rules work as they do is because the majority continues to agree they do. It is convention and nothing more.

And convention means nothing these days.

Uh, the rules take 66% to change because they just legally bound themselves to that requirement, persuant to the constitution, in making that a rule.

Pursuant to the Constitution they set the rules and can do so at any time. At 50%+1.

wbBv3fj.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Destroy the ethics committee.

Prevent the congressional budget office from reporting on the financial fallout of ACA repeal legislation.

Make it difficult for states to raise their own minimum wage.

Hold mass confirmation hearings so the public is less informed about them.

And now, enable the cutting of pay for specific people.

All while the incoming President continues to make threats against private businesses for perfectly legal decisions.

Maybe someone should email Hillary about all this so it's actually perceived as corruption.

Yo can I steal this?

Email it to Podesta, then leak it. "New Podesta Emails Outline Plans to Undermine Federal Ethics Board and State's Rights"

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Congress is bound by the law . The budget act is the law. Current congress can't bind future ones with rules but laws stand unless they're changed

Congress cannot be bound by law. They write new law. The new law supersedes the old law. The old law is implicitly repealed.

Edit: To clarify: Congressional acts cannot be bound by any law but the constitution and international treaties. New legislation supersedes old legislation. The old legislation literally doesn't even need to be specifically repealed.

Yes but they'd have to write the new law and pass it. Congress can't nullify a law by changing their internal rules. The flow of is Constitution > Federal Law > Congressional rules

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Can we stop and appreciate the sheer ridiculousness of an almost sitting President using Twitter as their fucking decree mechanism?

And then complaining that "the media" misinterprets him, when he is talking directly to the people via Twitter, with no media middlemen at all.
    God what will the incoming Press Secretary even do?

Perhaps you're familiar with this woman's work?

Ph5RQVjA_400x400.jpg

They'll do that. That thing she did. That's what they'll do.

Says who?

steam_sig.png
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular

Maybe the tactic is to make us all so exhausted of being outraged at absurd shit all the time before he's even sworn in so we're too jaded and demoralized to give any more shits?

I was basically at my breaking point after the election, I don't know how I can keep following this nonsense for four years

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    This is the way they keep the fillibuster, and are thus prevented by the scurrilous Democrats from implementing the rest of the incredibly terrible ideas they sold the base on, while getting the Obamacare repeal to show they actually did something.

I still think they're going to use the SCOTUS nomination to get their 'excuse' to kill the fillibuster.

You can only kill the fillibuster in the rules vote on the first day of class. After that, it's in place for two years.

So if they still haven't gotten a nominee seated by 2018 and we can't get our shit together before then, maybe.

This is not true. The legislature sets the rules and they can change them whenever they want.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So if I get this right they know it will cost billions to repeal ACA.

But presumably they want to remove it to reduce federal spending?

So then the solution is to ignore the cost spending tens of billions of federal money. That way the excel sheet will say that spending was reduced?

This sounds like how the Greek government viewed numbers until recently.

It sounds like they can't avoid a filibuster unless it's revenue neutral, so they're trying to order the CBO to declare it revenue neutral.

But then the people demanding it be revenue neutral will know that it isn't actually revenue neutral?

Since I now know it's not revenue neutral they will of course know this as well.

Its a quirk of the US filibuster system. you can avoid the filibuster of needing 60 votes by using reconciliation but it only works if your bill is revenue neutral. So it's more than just public perception. they literally can't pass it otherwise.

Oh I didn't know there was a way to avoid filibusters using rules.

This seems dumb. Why not declare everything revenue neutral forever then.

They don't directly control how it gets analyzed. Bill get submitted to the Congressional Budget Office which is a nonpartisan office which takes the data from the bill and rates it's budget impacts.

Except it's a toothless non-partisan office that operates independently only because we agree that's what it is. But the other side doesn't agree with that anymore, and they're going to tell it to just get fucked.

The Reconciliation process and in particular the Byrd rule(which includes the sunset provisions and revenue neutral stuff) is outlined in law.

Law that has no power.

Congress cannot bind congress and implicit repeal is a thing.

Changing the rules to remove the filibuster requires more votes than just ending the filibuster. Without democrat votes, they can no longer remove it for this Congress.

Congress cannot bind a future congress, but they can bind the current. That's why any of the rules mean anything. And implicit repeal requires a law to have been passed. If the rules say it wasn't passed, it can't implicitly repeal the rules.

No it does not require more votes than ending the filibuster. It requires 50%+1. As it always has.

Congress also cannot bind the current. For the same reasons they cannot bind latter. New law supersedes old law and congress can always write new law.

The only reason that the rules work as they do is because the majority continues to agree they do. It is convention and nothing more.

And convention means nothing these days.

Uh, the rules take 66% to change because they just legally bound themselves to that requirement, persuant to the constitution, in making that a rule.

Pursuant to the Constitution they set the rules and can do so at any time. At 50%+1.

No, the constitution doesn't say how the rules are set. Thats why the rules include how rules are set. The rules say supermajority.

I mean, if we have to get hyper pedantic the constitution also doesn't define what it means for a bill to pass a house of Congress. Does that mean they can just have a committee declare something passed?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Serious question. Can Trump unilaterally make and use concentration camps? If so I think there is a 30% chance we will see them in the next 4 years.

When the FEMA concentration camps come and the Oathkeeper crowd cheers them on...

You can go to their website. Right now they're very "liberals are puppets of the neo cons and they're fear mongering Trump"

So yes I expect they'd cheer.

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    They howl about states rights when they want to do something like discriminate against black people, but when the blue states want to do something like improve healthcare, suddenly they come over all Stalinesque.
    Like how Obama rolls over abroad and crushes dissent here at home! What a dictator and/or wuss.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    They howl about states rights when they want to do something like discriminate against black people, but when the blue states want to do something like improve healthcare, suddenly they come over all Stalinesque.
    Like how Obama rolls over abroad and crushes dissent here at home! What a dictator and/or wuss.

"They" in my ambiguous sentence refers to "The Republicans"

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

If you follow that trump is a russian puppet, this is literally what they have been doing for a while now. Make chaos normal, noone bats an eye to absolutely horrible things.

steam_sig.png
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular

Is a majority in SCOTUS even needed? Korematsu is still established precedent.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »

Has to survive getting back to SCOTUS.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Isn't she the same bint that looked the other way on trump U after he donated to her reelection campaign?

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Isn't she the same bint that looked the other way on trump U after he donated to her reelection campaign?

Drain the swamp, right?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Thus the aristocrats, yes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/house-republicans-revive-obscure-rule-that-could-allow-them-to-slash-the-pay-of-individual-federal-workers-to-1/2017/01/04/4e80c990-d2b2-11e6-945a-76f69a399dd5_story.html
    House Republicans this week reinstated an arcane procedural rule that enables lawmakers to reach deep into the budget and slash the pay of an individual federal worker — down to a $1 — a move that threatens to upend the 130-year-old civil service.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with compiling those lists of unwanted individual federal workers.

as someone that's been waiting for the extensive background and clearances necessary to start working in DC at a new job just after graduating from college

please shoot me

time to start thinking about what I'll do if this falls through

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Strictly speaking, as long as SCOTUS remains deadlocked then any rulings they are required to make default against the plaintiff.

God help you.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Strictly speaking, as long as SCOTUS remains deadlocked then any rulings they are required to make default against the plaintiff.

God help you.

They default back to the lower court ruling.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Drain the swamp, right?

I mean, technically speaking, the rest of the country is getting less corrupt as his gravity well attracts all the terrible people to DC.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular

She didn't just look the other way, she was bribed 25k by Trump Foundation.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

She didn't just look the other way, she was bribed 25k by Trump Foundation.

Right he threw that money the other way, away from the investigation, and she looked at it while she put it in her pockets.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

It's not going to be the exact same thing, but watch the immigrant prisons. They're already pretty closed to the public. Insufficient housing, medical care, nutrition, etc. Slightly higher rates of death, illness and violent crime than the already deplorable conditions in normal prisons? We're not going to have "concentration camps" but there will be prisons where immigrants do not fare well, and they will not go home nor come back into the US.

What is this I don't even.
    Congress is bound by the law . The budget act is the law. Current congress can't bind future ones with rules but laws stand unless they're changed

Congress cannot be bound by law. They write new law. The new law supersedes the old law. The old law is implicitly repealed.

Edit: To clarify: Congressional acts cannot be bound by any law but the constitution and international treaties. New legislation supersedes old legislation. The old legislation literally doesn't even need to be specifically repealed.

Yes but they'd have to write the new law and pass it. Congress can't nullify a law by changing their internal rules. The flow of is Constitution > Federal Law > Congressional rules

Nope. Constitution says that Congressional Rules trump Federal law.

Nope. Constitution says that Congress gets to set its rules. Congress cannot write law that prohibits it from changing its rules(its not one of the enumerated powers). It can write rules yes. But it can change those whenever it wants.

The reason that rules have stayed consistent and congresses have abide by them is convention and convention only.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Yeah the leadership is very good at having two conflicting ideas at the same time. "We need the government so small we can drown it in a bathtub! Except for our foreign policy, which requires us to be the most powerful country in the history of mankind and able to invade anywhere on the planet"

so, lately I've been getting a lot of pleas to donate money in return for one of these

trump_inaugural_3_1481141440.png

Which...no. Although Reagan did the same thing- great-grandparents left me a couple "Gold Executive Committee Member" cards from his campaign.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

If you follow that trump is a russian puppet, this is literally what they have been doing for a while now. Make chaos normal, noone bats an eye to absolutely horrible things.

This is playing with fire. A lot of people get horrible when they stop caring about horrible.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What the fuck is that even?

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/house-republicans-revive-obscure-rule-that-could-allow-them-to-slash-the-pay-of-individual-federal-workers-to-1/2017/01/04/4e80c990-d2b2-11e6-945a-76f69a399dd5_story.html
    House Republicans this week reinstated an arcane procedural rule that enables lawmakers to reach deep into the budget and slash the pay of an individual federal worker — down to a $1 — a move that threatens to upend the 130-year-old civil service.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with compiling those lists of unwanted individual federal workers.

as someone that's been waiting for the extensive background and clearances necessary to start working in DC at a new job just after graduating from college

please shoot me

time to start thinking about what I'll do if this falls through

Reminds me of my EU funded job...

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Yeah the leadership is very good at having two conflicting ideas at the same time. "We need the government so small we can drown it in a bathtub! Except for our foreign policy, which requires us to be the most powerful country in the history of mankind and able to invade anywhere on the planet"

so, lately I've been getting a lot of pleas to donate money in return for one of these

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/media/images/trump_inaugural_3_1481141440.png

Which...no. Although Reagan did the same thing- great-grandparents left me a couple "Gold Executive Committee Member" cards from his campaign.

What organization is asking you to donate, out of interest? Aren't calls for donations kind of... unusual after the election's over?

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

A grift where the griftee gets a nifty little card and then gets to feel very self-important.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular

A grift where the griftee gets a nifty little card and then gets to feel very self-important.

Meh. Obama gave me a phone.

Number One Tricky
    Burnage wrote: »

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/media/images/trump_inaugural_3_1481141440.png

What organization is asking you to donate, out of interest? Aren't calls for donations kind of... unusual after the election's over?

Inauguration committee. Its not unusual to get donations to fund the inauguration iirc.

wbBv3fj.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So, they're taking Healthcare away from people first, what's next?

-Gay Marriage
    -Abortion
    -Education
    -Religious Freedom
    -Net Neutrality
    -Freedom of Speech
    -Right to Vote
    -Freedom of the Press

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    So, they're taking Healthcare away from people first, what's next?

-Gay Marriage
    -Abortion
    -Education
    -Religious Freedom
    -Net Neutrality
    -Freedom of Speech
    -Right to Vote
    -Freedom of the Press

Gay Marriage is fairly safe for the time being.

They are going to go after other LGBT rights though, and they are ESPECIALLY going to go after trans people.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Apparently Rand Paul and Tom Cotton are actually saying "repeal and lol what replacement?" isn't going to pass muster with them. They want the repeal, but they don't want to kick the can down the road afterwards.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Nothing would satisfy me more than the GOP choking on the ACA

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Twitter is buzzing about some sort of appeal tomorrow regarding the invalidity of fifty Republican electors. Real or not real?

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Nothing would satisfy me more than the GOP choking on the ACA

They're going to.

Republicans, when in total control are literally their own worst enemy.

Their control of the government had preceded every economic disaster we've ever had.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Apparently Rand Paul and Tom Cotton are actually saying "repeal and lol what replacement?" isn't going to pass muster with them. They want the repeal, but they don't want to kick the can down the road afterwards.

Don't they also not have much influence to do anything about it though?

This discussion has been closed.