As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The old [Giant Bomb] thread!

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I like the running theme of something or someone visibly suffering in a game they are playing and Dan casually suggesting that they are "having a good time." As far as I know the exact opposite has been true every time he has said it.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    If you want suffering, Vinnyvania: Castlevania Bloodlines Part 3

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    No man that was hard to watch. Between Vinny and Alex bummed out that Austin left and a bad game I think it's one of the few times I've seen Vinny mad at a game.

OTOH man today's Blue Bombing is SO good! It's a shame DanxAustin doesn't happen often but when it does man.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    For Premium content, I don't know if it gets better for me than their playdates for Contradiction:Spot the Liar. I still break down in tears laughing at them playing that game.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    No man that was hard to watch. Between Vinny and Alex bummed out that Austin left and a bad game I think it's one of the few times I've seen Vinny mad at a game.

It does, however, have Segway Knight. If you want to enhance the experience watch it on qlcrew.com with the chat archive running, I about fell off my chair laughing.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Segway Knight was amazing

Doesn't Bloodlines have Nightclub-manager Frankenstein?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So it turns out Danny O'Dwyer is a pretty good shot. They were doing a pubgfamilydinner thing with a bunch of games industry people and I managed to get into games. A few short clips of me getting murdered. Didn't do too bad I think! We got #3 overall in the team game, just random other fans hopping in. Gotta go back and watch these games from the spectator mode they were streaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFWz7bPgJYk
    (edit: I found the spectator view of events! I promise I didn't stream snipe. https://clips.twitch.tv/DirtyTenderSwordOhMyDog)

And bonus action scene from game 2:

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Is it my imagination, or on the Beastcast did Abby call the Xbox One X "the Pro" at least once? A slip of the tongue but it was a bit of a chuckle in context of the reception to the Playstation 4 Pro (which I think she wasn't talking about?) at the time of its launch too.

She does have the same level knowledge of LOTR I do.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Damn, Vinny cleans up on the betting in the beginning of Steal My Sunshine episode 4.

Three shines within 12 minutes.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    My free trial recommendation that's an oldie but goodie: Fortune Street Thursday Night Throwdown. Precursor to Mario Party Party from the Ryan Davis era.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Yikes. Add The Lord of the Rings to the list of things it's rough to listen to them talk about. And I'm not even that huge a fan of the series.

Combination of "they know very little about it" and "they feel VERY strongly about it" that does it I think.

Also Game of Thrones is adolescent garbage, even before comparing it to anything.

Aistan on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Aistan wrote: »
    Yikes. Add The Lord of the Rings to the list of things it's rough to listen to them talk about. And I'm not even that huge a fan of the series.

Combination of "they know very little about it" and "they feel VERY strongly about it" that does it I think.

Also Game of Thrones is adolescent garbage, even before comparing it to anything.

Now you know how I feel whenever they talk about Gears of War. Every time.

To paraphrase their hopes for GOW4: "The games are great! I just don't like the weapons, setting, characters or storyline. If the new game could just move away from those..."

Synthesis on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    To be fair, the concept of "Boy, the Shadow of games don't really stick to the Tolkien lore" is an argument I've heard a lot about those games

Turning Shelob into a sexy lady is just kinda eh

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I don't mind them taking liberties with the lore if it results in me having a good time killing dudes with my orc bros. But knowing that Shelob is a spider and they turned her into a sexy human because reasons is gross.

And also confusing. I mean, another strong female in Tolkein's world would be nice and all, even if she's going to be manipulative and evil, but why can't it be a giant female spider? I'd be way more interested in the uneasy alliance that pushes Talion to join forces with a giant spider.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    The Shadow of Mordwar games doing fanfiction-level writing in the Lord of the Rings setting is one of the best things about it.

Shelob was always a female spider. The last daughter of Ungoliant, a primordial force determined to consume everything in existence. Ungoliant and Melkor (Sauron's boss) don't get along well anymore, so Shelob was always a kind of separate force. Her getting the ring would also be Bad News, and presumably so would her getting this second ring.

The level of "what the fuuuuuuck are you doing?" reaction that should come from Talion trying to make a deal with her is super interesting, a lot of cool stuff could come from that.

But goddammit why is she a sexy lady. Her being a giant spider at all times would be so much better for that.

Aistan on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Drew is streaming himself playing The Last of Us right now. He's intending to use it for B-roll footage for his upcoming Chernobyl video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5G4BzBztNg&feature=em-lss

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Should play Stalker.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Should play Stalker.

I would be hugely surprised if Drew doesn't include footage of Stalker, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and Metro 2033 in his Chernobyl video. That thing will probably be his first huge video feature.

• Options
    Ben zooms out to show the map in Cat Quest and I instantly want to get it.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Man I respect people who have a lot of nostalgia for Kingdom Hearts and like what it is despite its foibles but MAAAAAAN that camera

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    As sad as it is, that's probably one of the better 3rd person cameras of the era.

• Options
    I don't know if I can go on with the Kingdom Hearts feature given how little redemptive value there was to the game in the first three episodes. Not only did the camera look like complete garbage but so did the controls, platforming, combat, story, and a whole lot of the character design. Top that off with a ton of anime bullshit and all of those negative elements vastly overshadow the promise of Disney charm.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    I don't know if I can go on with the Kingdom Hearts feature given how little redemptive value there was to the game in the first three episodes. Not only did the camera look like complete garbage but so did the controls, platforming, combat, story, and a whole lot of the character design. Top that off with a ton of anime bullshit and all of those negative elements vastly overshadow the promise of Disney charm.

but did you know that goofy is a "funny animal" which is different from a normal animal

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »

but did you know that goofy is a "funny animal" which is different from a normal animal

You know what, you're right, it hasn't been a complete loss since I know that now.

In much the same way that Jeff theorized that Mario Party 5 was the result of a dog taking a shit inside a GameCube, I think Goofy or Pluto must have squatted over a Playstation 2 and that that, along with the droppings of a Chocobo, resulted in Kingdom Hearts. Maybe if the hot action came from Goofy it would be the distinction that makes him a "funny animal."

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I love this masterpiece discussion on Blue Bombin with Alex, Dan, Austin, and Vinny.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Ben zooms out to show the map in Cat Quest and I instantly want to get it.

I somehow missed that game's release on Steam (well, not "somehow" since it's impossible to keep up with Steam releases) and was pleasantly surprised by that quick look. I downloaded the demo, quickly finished it, and added it to my wishlist. Seems like a fun & simple game.
    I love this masterpiece discussion on Blue Bombin with Alex, Dan, Austin, and Vinny.

And then Abby throws a minor curve ball into that discussion. It was great to see Austin back there again.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    It's a damn shame that broom closet studio can't fit all the awesomeness that was displayed during that stream.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Edit:
    Wrong Thread

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Man I respect people who have a lot of nostalgia for Kingdom Hearts and like what it is despite its foibles but MAAAAAAN that camera

i don't. i'm done with bad game and the people who like them

the line must be drawn here!
    hqdefault.jpg

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

I keep watching going "ok this has to stop being a slog for everyone involved at some point.... right?"

I'm not sure it does.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So I watched the Modern Warfare Mile High Breaking Brad feature video...... FOUR HOURS!? That's some serious dedication. And the payoff was great. For us guys.:lol:

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    So I watched the Modern Warfare Mile High Breaking Brad feature video...... FOUR HOURS!? That's some serious dedication. And the payoff was great. For us guys.:lol:

Yeah, that was great. I don't remember if I saw that live or not, but the end got put on youtube pretty quickly:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ewiNCNzaU

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I started treating them as a podcast, where I just listen to them in the background. For that purpose the episode with Ben+Rory was fantastic, it was Tales Of Customers With Ben Laugh Track.

• Options
    Exquisite Corps Episode 3:
    The true enemy within is Dan Ryckert.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Exquisite Corps Episode 3:
    The true enemy within is Dan Ryckert.

I'm pretty pro dan but hooooooooooooooooooooly shit was he the worst there. I'm pretty convinced he just can't be stuck in a group setting for this stuff.

That entire 2 minute period of reading the description on the sniper rifle multiple times(you cant move and shoot in the same turn, he moved), and then being confused on why you can't shoot or overwatch(you moved) and then going back and forth of reading the description, and then complaining that you still can't fire. Just Yikes.

Apparently failing this mission cuts out a large section of content, but theres mixed opinions on how bad that really is. I never did the expansion so I have no idea.

I saw a lot of comments that he 'fixed' some of the meta game stuff. Him 'fixing' the layout at the start was the right move, but this is broke clock. In 3 weeks hes going to tear out the inside of that base at the last second. I can see in the next 4 weeks they don't have enough recruits to fill missions out. The first zombie mission is going to be a wipe too I bet.

Kingdom Heartache should probably just be a call in show or email questions show. Get some sort of gimmick in there besides 'we half heartedly play this game that some people really really like'

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I almost feel like X-Corps would've been stronger if they all sat down for a few hours for a basic literacy course for the mechanics. Go home and play a few hours on a saturday or something as homework, just so everyone's on the same general page.
    I want to see them fail out because of terrible tactical decisions, not because they don't understand the fundamental systems of the game.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Though also Dan has reportedly played/beat X-Com so I don't know how much more he can be helped.

Exq Corps Ep 3 spoiler:
    Pretty sure I saw him move into a red shield several times - pretty clear indication of a bad idea.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Given how cavalier he was about having troops out of cover, it feels like Dan saved scummed heavily on easy.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I remember them all talking about save scumming during GOTY deliberations. It was the only GOTY they've decided on that matches up with mine, but I feel like it was a total fluke. They fortunately understand why the game is good, but have no idea how to play it.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I remember them all talking about save scumming during GOTY deliberations. It was the only GOTY they've decided on that matches up with mine, but I feel like it was a total fluke. They fortunately understand why the game is good, but have no idea how to play it.

ALL HEAVIES NO MEDKITS

This discussion has been closed.