As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The old [Giant Bomb] thread!

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm kind of holding out on Switch, I'll probably get it around Holiday but I don't see much of a reason to do it for Zelda when my WiiU has just been an Amazon tablet for my kid for a while.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Horizon Zero Dawn review up in like 2 hours.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I had a Switch pre ordered, but the lack of VC info and Nintendo weirdly backing down from "the Switch is replacing 3rd *and* Wii U" made me decide to cancel and switch to the Wii U version.

Edit: WOW, I was 100% expecting Horizon to be terrible given that Guerilla was never able to make a great Kill Zone game despite getting chance after chance. Great to hear that it's won Jeff over.

Darlan on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Horizon Zero Dawn review up in like 2 hours.

5/5

liEt3nH.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    5 from Jeff? Wow.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Knew Jeff was going to give it a 5 when I heard the description for Horizon as "Farcry but with robot animals"

Dude loves Farcry a lot.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    meat animals, totally different

liEt3nH.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Primal is barely even a thing.

Far Cry 4 got 4 stars hot on the heels of everyone at GB playing a billion hours of Far Cry 3 and the only complaint was Hey it's more Far Cry. Given the couple year break between then and now plus some new aesthetic trappings, I'm not shocked in the slightest.

Now to prepare for the 3 star review of BotW.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Primal was great because it took the Far Cry formula and let you ride a bear.

In retrospect, I may be easy to please.

• 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    That review makes me so relieved. Zero Dawn was one of the few games I was able to budget for, and in the last few weeks I've been getting worried that maybe it won't be good, and I should save my money and just wait for Mass Effect. Now I'm going to cash in my PS Store gift cards from Christmas the second I can get access to my PS4 today.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Primal is barely even a thing.

Far Cry 4 got 4 stars hot on the heels of everyone at GB playing a billion hours of Far Cry 3 and the only complaint was Hey it's more Far Cry. Given the couple year break between then and now plus some new aesthetic trappings, I'm not shocked in the slightest.

Now to prepare for the 3 star review of BotW.

Everyone seems pretty high on Zelda so far, and especially if they give it to Dan, it should do alright.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I wonder who will review it. My guts tell me it should be Dan but it'd be nice if we got a Bradview.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I feel like I wouldn't really trust a Dan review of a Zelda game. Or a Metal Gear game.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    5 stars, geez... guess i'm buying a PS4 at some point, then.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I look forward to Zelda getting 4 stars and the internet collectively shitting its pants

Maddoc wrote: »
    I look forward to Zelda getting 4 stars and the internet collectively shitting its pants
    You don't understand, 8 years ago they also gave game X four stars, that means they're saying Zelda is just as 'mediocre' as that game.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    You don't understand, 8 years ago they also gave game X four stars, that means they're saying Zelda is just as 'mediocre' as that game.

Zelda absolutely equal in quality in every way to SingStar confirmed

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    LOL...you know. Thinking about it, maybe Jeff will review it. And it will be sullied by his "view" on Horizon making it not a "fair" review.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    I could totally see Nintendo's first foray into this style of game being good but flawed in a way that 4 stars is an appropriate score, personally

I'm still looking forward to it, but it's by no means a sure bet.

You see that Zelda score over there?

You can complain about it.

steam_sig.png

for one day they move to a 10 point system so they can give it 8.8

liEt3nH.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Who is anticipating the Wii U Zelda?

me? why the fuck would I buy a switch port when I already own a wii u?

alternatively: why the hell would I buy a switch why I already own a wii u ?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    well it will run better but mostly because the wiiu is now a dead console

Jars wrote: »

"Now"

will it?
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/98561/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-runs-better-on-switch-than-on-wii-u-might-output-in-900p-in-docked-mode
    this is the only article i've ever seen say it will, and even then kinda?
    Long-time Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma told IGN that Breath of the Wild runs better on Nintendo Switch than on Wii U.
    "I think I mentioned this during E3, but the gameplay is completely the same experience on Wii U and the Nintendo Switch," Aonuma said. "The game controls for the two are pretty much identical. However, when you play in TV mode, the resolution of the screen and the sound quality go up. When I said earlier that the gameplay and game experience is the same, I meant the framerate is the same as well," Aonuma went on.

Legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto chimed in. "The world in Breath of the Wild is all seamless. There’s a lot of processing when [the game] needs to recreate the landscape, so that’s a little bit of challenge. But while you’re playing it there’s no difference whatsoever between the two."
    so basically the switch version 'might' look a bit better? maybe? but also they both run exactly the same.
    so uhh..

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    "the resolution and sound quality go up"

no, it definitely will look better. we've seen screenshots that it looks better. and it will sound better

and the wiiu is still dead so the question of why would I go from a wiiu to a switch is a very odd one

Jars on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Why would anybody buy a ps4 when the ps3 is right here

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

i mean the ps4 did have a pretty anemic lineup for a while! we had that awkward half-step generation with the 360 and ps3 for a while with games like Mordor where there was still a really low conversion rate from ps3 to ps4. at the launch of a console, when the lineup is still thin, "I don't think that the sales pitch on buying the new thing is particularly strong" is a pretty valid stance still! and having a game that straddles two gens without a big hit in performance like zelda does wind up being a mark towards not upgrading

liEt3nH.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

I mean, Persona 5 is still coming out on the PS3, right? Might as well just stick with the PS3, probably a better value.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    When there is more than one game to play on the Switch that I care about, I'll buy a Switch. I'm not buying new hardware that will be "Nintendo scarce" at launch to play one game that I can play on existing hardware and get mostly the same experience. I have no idea why this is a controversial position.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited February 2017
    "the resolution and sound quality go up"

no, it definitely will look better. we've seen screenshots that it looks better. and it will sound better

and the wiiu is still dead so the question of why would I go from a wiiu to a switch is a very odd one
    i've not seen any screens demonstrating the difference, in fact it seems like Nintendo is being extremely careful not to show any wii u footage. I suspect there will be hardly any difference, and certainly not enough different to make me pre-order a whole new console for a game I can already play on my current Nintendo. At the very least, this is the very definition of the "don't pre-order games, wait for reviews" scenario.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Pretty sure there were literally side-by-side screenshots being posted somewhere where the textures for the Switch version had slightly more detail

I wish they weren't and the Switch had a better framerate. From the sound of it both consoles are framey as fuck.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    It might have just been the stream then, because I remember the footage from The Game Awards (being explicitly WiiU footage) and the trailer from the Switch presentation being worlds apart in terms of framerate.

IIRC, the framerate for the Switch version is slightly better when it's docked.

steam_sig.png

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

I mean, Persona 5 is still coming out on the PS3, right? Might as well just stick with the PS3, probably a better value.

Speaking of which, the fusions are a little... different in P5, looks like.

https://youtu.be/Ndhe5O1b6V8

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    IIRC, the framerate for the Switch version is slightly better when it's docked.

I heard the opposite too, the switch looks better when in portable mode since it's a lower res than the docked version.

But we haven't had people running the full benchmarks of tests on it and all that yet of course.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I just don't see nintendo releasing a "bad" version of the game on the WiiU. It will be totally fine and probably pretty great. And if you already have a WiiU and nothing else at launch on the Switch interests you, there is a version of Zelda for you.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
This discussion has been closed.