As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Harmonix] New Rock Band peripherals are coming!

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I almost bought the box set the other day at Gamestop. They were selling it for $100 plus throwing in the pro cymbal pack for free.

But I still don't own an Xbox One (even though I have two Jaguar packs sitting unopened in my closet still). I need to find a cheap one, because that thing is really going to be just a Rock Band machine.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I bought the Target edition of the full kit and I still don't have a X1.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Will grab both DLCs this week. Time will tell if my vocal problems with Metropolis carry over to Pull Me Under. May see about another mic if shit persists. And I should at least be able to 5* Pull Me Under on pro drums.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2017
    They announced on stream that the spotlight songs for the final week of Season 0 will be Dead Black, Pull Me Under, and Through the Fire and Flames..

qualifying library songs will be 5 dot and devil band tier songs

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    They announced on stream that the spotlight songs for the final week of Season 0 will be Dead Black, Pull Me Under, and Through the Fire and Flames..

qualifying library songs will be 5 dot and devil band tier songs

Sexy.

Not for everybody, but my guitar/bass skills will be ready.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Blargh. "Impossible" level songs tend to be really easy and really boring on vocals.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Good thing we have overtiered disc songs to save us

• Options
    JonBob wrote: »
    Blargh. "Impossible" level songs tend to be really easy and really boring on vocals.

Sadly, true that.

Although, since 5 dotters are in, a couple of Queen songs will be in there, and I'm a fan of getting my Jon Anderson on with the early Yes stuff.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Well, 5* Pull Me Under on sight read guitar, I can definitely GS it before Tuesday. I haven't played a Dragonforce song in like a year, so a half hearted 3* for right now, I think I can get a high 4* with a guitar with solo buttons, but I'm not woodsheding enough for a 5*.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I was kind of hoping that this week's challenge would be "all the songs" again for the last of Season 0, but I guess this will work. Time to turn down the difficulty to hard and see where that gets me.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I was kind of hoping that this week's challenge would be "all the songs" again for the last of Season 0, but I guess this will work. Time to turn down the difficulty to hard and see where that gets me.

With the number of long songs and the high difficulty tiers, any XP will be at a premium and needed to get us safe, or an outside shot at Diamond, so find your comfort zone and play everything in your collection.

I'll see what i can do on drums for the spotlights if QuoVadis can't , but I doubt we'll get all that great an overall rank there, so overall XP is where we should concentrate as a crew.

Unlike the last month, I actually have the whole weekend off, so I will try to make up for such a piss poor participation rate the last 5 go rounds.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I have some time this weekend, but no way am I buying the two Spotlight tracks I'm missing, because this just ain't my genre and I'm not feeding that beast. But I'll earn us a chunk of XP on other challenge songs.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If you don't buy them, then how are they going to know you want more DLC? Why do you hate America?

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of songs in the challenge this week. There's a lot of fun stuff in there. Any fears of no fun vocals can be put aside.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    You couldn't pay me to put more Dream Theater in my library

• Options
    yeah in this challenge you're better off on the difficulty you can get the most stars on.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Eh, depends on if it's a spotlight song.

On the spotlight songs, it's just score that matters, so a 3 star on Expert might end up being better than a 5 star on Hard just due to the amount of notes available to hit.

On the weekly challenge songs, you're absolutely right; stars are better. A 5 star on hard will give 125XP (and 50XP more for a full combo), where a 3 star Expert will only give 100.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    You couldn't pay me to put more Dream Theater in my library

Don't worry, I'm here for you, and bit the progalicious bullet.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of songs in the challenge this week. There's a lot of fun stuff in there. Any fears of no fun vocals can be put aside.

Yeah, they have a lot of doable options for me in the challenge. Pretty much gonna go full Grohl Band this week - Foo Fighters, Them Crooked Vultures, Tenacious D.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    I think I'm going to be doing a lot of Green Day

And I guess since last time I played it I was almost able to five star it on expert I might even punish myself with some TtFaF

...with an old guitar I don't mind breaking the strum bar on

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Did they ever change skill rating? Once I hit 900+ I didn't want to play songs on easier difficulties thinking I would risk downgrading that number.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I know it's not as fun but yeah decided to stream some vocals.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Did they ever change skill rating? Once I hit 900+ I didn't want to play songs on easier difficulties thinking I would risk downgrading that number.

That seems like a shitty mechanic for a game like this.

• Options

That's not how it works. It's how many stars within each difficulty tier out of possible stars you can get, including gold. FCs don't count.

So you actually need to play easy songs to raise your score. Technically, all you need to do is play one song from each difficulty tier and you can get 1000.

• Options

That's not how it works. It's how many stars within each difficulty tier out of possible stars you can get, including gold. FCs don't count.

So you actually need to play easy songs to raise your score. Technically, all you need to do is play one song from each difficulty tier and you can get 1000.

Don't count? Or, don't count more?

• Options
    FCs don't count at all

• Options
    So if I play a song, hit all the notes, get that gold star, it doesn't count?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Just the gold star part counts. It's not per play. It's per song. FCs aren't part of the rating calculation.

if you have a 5 starred song and you improve it to a gold star score, your rating will go up.

if you have a 5 starred song and you FC it without somehow gold starring it, your rating remains unchanged.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/5a3vqx/instrument_skill_formula/

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Out with family, won't be home till round 10pm CDT.

I have a supply of caffeine and pain killers (I have an arthritic ankle on my dominant bass foot (I two pedal) makes drums hard after a half hour or so.) And no plans tomorrow, anyone on XBone looking to jam, look me up (BlackDragon1066), otherwise I'm going to play till I drop tonight

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

With the number of long songs and the high difficulty tiers, any XP will be at a premium and needed to get us safe, or an outside shot at Diamond, so find your comfort zone and play everything in your collection.

I'll see what i can do on drums for the spotlights if QuoVadis can't , but I doubt we'll get all that great an overall rank there, so overall XP is where we should concentrate as a crew.

Unlike the last month, I actually have the whole weekend off, so I will try to make up for such a piss poor participation rate the last 5 go rounds.

Man, I really wish I had more time to play Rock Band. It's hard to find an hour or so to squeeze in some drum time, especially now during the summer. I can barely get the kids to sleep and the house marginally tidy each day.

If you want to do some Crew maintenance, you aren't going to hurt my feelings if you swap me out with someone more reliable

• Options
    For everyone in PAPS4 we're going to need oodles of crew xp if we want to make diamond or even remain in platinum

I did what I could with Soul Remnant and Dragonforce on guitar/bass (turns out not a whole lot! my scores are very beatable) and I can probably just speak the words on Soul Remnant to get us the score on that but no one has even played the Dream Theater song so we're in the low thirties on spotlight. If I have to I can pick that up even thought I really hate playing prog so we can at least get a score on it but I'm hoping someone really loves prog and just haven't played yet this week... like super hoping :P

I got us from the upper teens to mid thirties on crew xp tonight but I don't think I'll be able to get us enough for us to even remain in platinum this week before the cutoff without help.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ugh. I'm in PAPS4, but times with my kids not around have been way fewer and farther between lately. Playing after they go to sleep is normally not an option since sound carries too well in our place. Will try to get on Monday and Tuesday night and see if I can help anywhere, but this doesn't sound like a good list for me.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Ugh. I'm in PAPS4, but times with my kids not around have been way fewer and farther between lately. Playing after they go to sleep is normally not an option since sound carries too well in our place. Will try to get on Monday and Tuesday night and see if I can help anywhere, but this doesn't sound like a good list for me.

It's not a huge deal and of course real life comes first.

It's just that this week people seem to be pouring in effort and I don't think we're going to get by on spotlight songs and a few people putting in 10-20k xp

If we can even get 5k per person though that puts us from our usual all the way up to the 55-65k crew xp range which I think might be enough to at least get us platinum as long as we can get scores in everything for the spotlight songs.

If it's any consolation, and it totally was for me, it's actually not just five dot/devil head songs when it comes to crew xp. There's a lot of four dot songs as well and if you don't mind swapping to bass I think you can even sneak in quite a few two-four dot songs as well.

• Options
    Move Minor Standard is in a similar boat. It's going to take some concerted effort to get out of the demotion range.

• Options
    I'm pretty happy about this.
    fpvu5z3tdhzm.jpg

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I don't have the 2 DLC spotlight songs so I've done as much as I can there, but I'll grind out some more crew xp after work.

This challenge is actually getting me to play a ton of stuff I either never played before or haven't played since RB1. I'm doing way better on a lot of this stuff than I expected. The difficulty ratings seem all over the place, though. There's no way Cherub Rock should be a 5 dot on drums. And The Trees is devil horns but YYZ is only 5 dot!? wtf

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Well, now we have 5 stars on all the drums and vocals spotlights. We're in the safe zone, and that will probably carry us through tomorrow since Tuesday tends to be a slow day. The crew owes me $3.98. Can we have a fun bubblegum pop challenge next?

• Options
    I picked up Dream Theater and got PAPS4 guitar and bass on that spotlight. Tried Dragonforce on expert again and there's just no way that's happening for me. Barely three star'd it and nowhere near the score I got on hard.

Gonna try and put in a few more hours tonight and tomorrow but it's looking questionable if we'll even remain in Platinum.

• Options
    Our crew elected to ragequit after a lot of plays each. Eh, is what it is. we're like 12th percentile with thousands of exp

• Options
    Our crew elected to ragequit after a lot of plays each. Eh, is what it is. we're like 12th percentile with thousands of exp

PAPS4 is at something like 50k crew xp and we're still only in the 41st percentile overall

I'm gonna play until it's over after work tomorrow but I don't think it's gonna happen.