As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Harmonix] New Rock Band peripherals are coming!

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Crazy on You returns from GH2.

Magic Man until this point has been exclusive to freakin Rock Revolution.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I finally picked this up, after sitting on the old RB3 for years! It's been a rough transition so far, so I've got a technical question for anyone familiar with the Xbox One version.

How do the characters work on this version? Normally, I have my main account and we had a silver account for my SO that we had her character on. In this game, I was able to make my character fine, but we've been struggling with making hers.

It seemed like there were three sign-in options: Make a proper Xbox Account, sign in to the game by hitting start and being assigned as "Guest", or open the Xbox account menu and add a guest to sign in as "Endaro (1)". We skipped the first one because I couldn't find a way to make a simple silver account; it seemed like we had to connect a microsoft account and email to make it. We ended up using the third option and had her play as "Endaro (1)". We went through the character creator, made a band together, and played for a while. Now when I log in again today, her character is gone. I can't assign it as a stand-in for the band, and even if I try logging in as "Guest" or "Endaro (1)", it's not available. Is this working as intended? How do I set it up so she can always access her character when she plays?

I'm really glad I didn't go and do a full RB party with family right away, I don't know that I'd be able to get them all to sit through making characters again.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Endaro wrote: »
    How do the characters work on this version? Normally, I have my main account and we had a silver account for my SO that we had her character on. In this game, I was able to make my character fine, but we've been struggling with making hers.

I'll expand on this a bit later, but the tl;dr version of my answer is: You will get the most functionality by having your SO make her own Silver/Free account (or if she had one on 360, bringing that account into the Xbox One). Edit: And you don't necessarily need a MS email to have a MS account.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    Ok, so IIRC: ok the 360 there were actually 3 account types. Gold (I can play online and buy stuff from the store and post to leaderboards), Silver (I can buy from the store and post to leaderboards, but not play multiplayer online), and Local (it tracks achievements, and has its own save data but that’s it).

I don’t believe Xbox One has local accounts anymore, just good and silver (now called “free” accounts).

So if your SO had a real Silver account then you should be able to just sign in to that using whatever email and password you used before and it should all be good. If she had a Local Account then you can either convert that to a Silver Account (I think you’d have to use a 360 to do this) or start over with a new account.

Re: Microsoft account - if you sign up for a hotmail email or @live.com address then you’ll automatically have a MS account. But you can also sign up/in with gmail or whatever else... and yeah, since you can’t do Local accounts anymore, you’ll have to have a MS account.

All of that is just background for your real question: how are characters saved?

They’re saved to the account that made them, if it’s a real account.

Both RB’s “Guest” and the Xbox’s “Endaro (1)” are temporary accounts that don’t save data. So to let her play as her own character, you’ve got 2 options:

1) You make her character under your account, then assign that character as a stand-in for a specific instrument. When she wants to play, she can use RB’s Guest, and as long as you signed in first (and she doesn’t try to choose a different character) the game will just keep her stand in on that instrument at all times.

Upside: no account fiddling needed. Use this solution if she doesn’t care about her own achievements, doesn’t care about her own high scores. Her character can use the money you earn in career mode to buy new clothes.
    Downside: You can’t see any high score you’ve posted, and your character will keep displaying as a stand in for that instrument, so if you two swap with each other between guitar and bass the character isn’t going to follow you.

2) You bring her silver account in/make her a new silver account. Whoever is playing just signs in and chooses their own character from their own personal pool of people they’ve made.

Upside: You can see your own high scores. Your character follows you as you switch between guitar/bass.
    Downside: Just the initial annoyance of setting up the account.... and you have to earn your own money to buy new character clothes.

So yeah, there are options depending on how dedicated you want to be. I’d recommend option 2, since having your own account can be useful for other games as well.

Now an important question for you: did you get a bundle with the Rivals expansion?

If so and you need a Crew, I could probably make room, as we have a few randos that joined and don’t seem to be participating.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    That was both surprisingly thorough and surprisingly helpful, thank you very much!
    Perrsun wrote: »

Now an important question for you: did you get a bundle with the Rivals expansion?

If so and you need a Crew, I could probably make room, as we have a few randos that joined and don’t seem to be participating.

We did! Though I haven't touched it yet. I'll keep the offer in mind, but you don't need to boot anyone yet.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »
    That was both surprisingly thorough and surprisingly helpful, thank you very much!

We did! Though I haven't touched it yet. I'll keep the offer in mind, but you don't need to boot anyone yet.

But you do need to buy it for PS4 instead and then join the far superior PA crew

>.>
    <.<
    >.>

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    yup RBN songs. I had Never Let You Go and it was alright. I always wondered why they went with these rerecordings.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Probably the same reason they usually do: it was either cheaper, or those were the only versions they had access to/still had stems for.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    It's probably the latter. IIRC those songs debuted on GH...something. Maybe 5?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular

good luck to anyone trying to hit the opening scream on "Angel of Death"

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

*raises hand*

I can do it, but then again I have a high ass register and can hit notes in Painkiller, Riding on the Wind, and Queen of the Ryche without straining.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited January 2019

*raises hand*

I can do it, but then again I have a high ass register and can hit notes in Painkiller, Riding on the Wind, and Queen of the Ryche without straining.

Yeah, Angel of Death ended up being 100% talkies, despite also being marked as devil stars.

I had never heard the song before, but that song was... not great. I don’t know if that’s how their other songs are, since I’ve never really listened to them, but it just wasn’t very enjoyable for me on any instrument I tried.

I’m super excited for Babymetal, however. :)

Perrsun on
  • Options

*raises hand*

Yeah, Angel of Death ended up being 100% talkies, despite also being marked as devil stars.

I had never heard the song before, but that song was... not great. I don’t know if that’s how their other songs are, since I’ve never really listened to them, but it just wasn’t very enjoyable for me on any instrument I tried.

I’m super excited for Babymetal, however. :)

So you're saying it was a metal song then.

• Options
    I did not get my dream of an Utada Hikaru 3 Pack of all the KH openings.... but this season will include Valentines Day, so maybe we’ll get something interesting there.

Also, I am sorry to anybody on my friends list. I recently found out that there is a Mission for “Send a Taunt X times” so I’ve been doing that. I don’t actually think you look like a pile of discarded farts.

• Options
    oh boy...I dont know if I want to hear The Reason ever again.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    What better way to celebrate Valentines Day than a song about “I used to suck, and I’m going to be better because of you, but I’m also leaving”?

Why not pair it with Eve 6 Save Tonight Here’s to the Night: the song about “can I get a 1 night stand before I abandon you?” everybody in high school thought was so sweet and nice because they didn’t actually listen to it and then it ended up being voted the class song of the year and got inscribed into the yearbook and no, I’m not bitter at all.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    LOL i totally empathize.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Why not pair it with Eve 6 Save Tonight: the song about “can I get a 1 night stand before I abandon you?”
    If you mean the Eagle Eye Cherry song, it seems to me the protagonist is leaving for an unspecified reason the next day, and doesn't want to. Like military duty, or something.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    JonBob wrote: »
    Why not pair it with Eve 6 Save Tonight: the song about “can I get a 1 night stand before I abandon you?”
    If you mean the Eagle Eye Cherry song, it seems to me the protagonist is leaving for an unspecified reason the next day, and doesn't want to. Like military duty, or something.

Whoops, I had the right artist but meant Here’s to the Night.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Ah, yes. That one's gross.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    JonBob wrote: »

Whoops, I had the right artist but meant Here’s to the Night.

I was so confused for a second there lol

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    If I got a bug about it and wanted to play some Rock Band... Where does one start, these days?

• Options
    edited February 2019
    CowShark wrote: »
    If I got a bug about it and wanted to play some Rock Band... Where does one start, these days?

Unfortunately, you’d have to start with eBay, Goodwill, garage sales, local independent game stores, or Amazon 3rd party sellers.

They haven’t manufactured a game+guitar nor Band in a Box Bundle in years, and the prices of secondhand instruments reflect that.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    I own everything but a second guitar for XB1 already (it's all just been in a closet for... a few years). I meant that I'm paralyzed at the menu screen on what I should do.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    oh, hit quickplay and play some songs

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Harmonix has a new VR game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PwmDO5WCq8

(yes, it's the same area from Chroma )

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    VR rhythm games are so violent.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    VR rhythm games are so violent.

Beat Saber is a fucking blast, though.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I love what I've played of Beat Saber so far. I just think it's funny that we've gone from guitars & drums to laser swords & guns.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I love what I've played of Beat Saber so far. I just think it's funny that we've gone from guitars & drums to laser swords & guns.

Clearly we need to cross the streams:

VR sequel to Gitaroo Man

~ Buckaroo Banzai