As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Airport shooting in Ft. Lauderdale FL

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    According to the CNN article in the OP, he had flown from Alaska to Florida, but neither of these sources have official confirmation. The Miami Herald article there uses the phrase, "He is thought to have been a passenger on a flight from Canada ". So, it may be a while before there is any accurate info on that particular detail.

Edit: Beat'd

Durkhanus on
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    The baggage claim area of Ft Lauderdale airport ain't a secure area - it's right next to the exit doors. The reality is the guy could've just walked into the baggage claim area from the central parking garage across the street, without a single security person stopping him.

iTNdmYl.png
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I'm just waiting for a Republican to come out and say what they all believe. That this is the price of doing business. That blood that feeds the freedom tree? This is it.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    God fucking dammit, and the fake news is already flying, that the gunman was a member of ISIS and the government knew and did nothing. And the article on my feed had several thousand comments and over 10k shares

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    God fucking dammit, and the fake news is already flying, that the gunman was a member of ISIS and the government knew and did nothing. And the article on my feed had several thousand comments and over 10k shares

Why bother with facts, sell the narrative.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Hooray America, we almost made it a week into 2017 before our first mass shooting.
    Countdown to Republicans "It's too soon to politicize this"?

So, four hours.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    There's already bills getting pushed to allow people to carry guns in airports so I guess what's going to happen is that they'll push that because "the only way to stop a bad with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What is even the point of security checks if you can carry loaded guns around?

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    The baggage claim area is a hard one to control to the degree of others.

But that you could check in any weapon, even an unloaded one, is a really bizarre distinction to make.

NNID: Rehab0
    Rehab wrote: »

But that you could check in any weapon, even an unloaded one, is a really bizarre distinction to make.

It's been legal for a very long time that you could check an unloaded weapon as luggage. But in addition to it being unloaded, it is only allowed as a checked bag, must explicitly declared as an unloaded weapon when you present it to the airline, and be inside a gun case.

I don't recall if you are allowed to check ammunition.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm ready. Just, confiscate the guns. All of em. I'll turn mine in, and I love mine. :/ fuck

Sadly that's not a realistic get, I know. Even if it was realistic, logistically it's impossible. Ugh

I hate having to say this, I'm serious

but there's already folk that depend on firearms to survive
    if we had law enforcement that wasn't complicit with white supremacy and general fascism I'd be right along with you

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I'm ready. Just, confiscate the guns. All of em. I'll turn mine in, and I love mine. :/ fuck

Sadly that's not a realistic get, I know. Even if it was realistic, logistically it's impossible. Ugh

if we had law enforcement that wasn't complicit with white supremacy and general fascism I'd be right along with you

I can see republicans writing a new bill that would tighten gun control, maybe have eligibility relate to credit score somehow to make sure it's hard for vulnerable groups.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    those disarmament laws primarily strip minorities of firearms

it's on purpose, every damn time

Miss me? Find me on:

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular

I can see republicans writing a new bill that would tighten gun control, maybe have eligibility relate to credit score somehow to make sure it's hard for vulnerable groups.

Not a chance.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    it would likely happen if radicalized leftist groups become more of a focus, imo

Miss me? Find me on:

• LabelLabel Registered User regular

Not a chance.

currently, i agree.

but, some of the gun control laws we do have in this country got their start in response to armed minorities.

and we are currently watching some of the republican party happily switch from hating julian assange to lionizing him, or flipping their opinion of russia from "international opponent and enemy" to "wanting closer ties" because their orange encrusted leader.

so, now? yes. gun control is not going anywhere right now.

but soon? in the near future? who the fuck knows, really.

Label wrote: »

Not a chance.

currently, i agree.

but, some of the gun control laws we do have in this country got their start in response to armed minorities.

and we are currently watching some of the republican party happily switch from hating julian assange to lionizing him, or flipping their opinion of russia from "international opponent and enemy" to "wanting closer ties" because their orange encrusted leader.

so, now? yes. gun control is not going anywhere right now.

but soon? in the near future? who the fuck knows, really.

Well, there is nothing that flies in the face of their core tenets quite like opposing gun control.

The only action on gun laws that looks feasible is the Hearing Protection Act gets passed this year and takes the hassle out of getting a suppressor.

they wouldn't pitch it as gun control

and, given what their voting base has accepted so far, they'll eat it right up

Miss me? Find me on:

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular

Not a chance.

Agreed. I mean why codify it when police can shoot folks for carrying with relative impunity.
    Feels far more likely they'd reduce regulation on law enforcement waaaaaay before they'd go close touching the 2nd amendment

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »

It's been legal for a very long time that you could check an unloaded weapon as luggage. But in addition to it being unloaded, it is only allowed as a checked bag, must explicitly declared as an unloaded weapon when you present it to the airline, and be inside a gun case.

I don't recall if you are allowed to check ammunition.

You can check ammunition, as long as it's in the original box. edit: Limit of 10-11lbs

You can check a handgun in a bag, as long as it's in a locked case. Same with checking a Rifle, in its own separate case.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Anything substantial revealed at the press conference?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I can't believe how fast it switched around to liberals saying 'Trump is coming to take our guns'

Tube wrote: »
    I can't believe how fast it switched around to liberals saying 'Trump is coming to take our guns'

I have been thoroughly amused by the reversal

Trump has literally called for the police to take guns away from minorities via stop and frisk.

Cite?

I'm also not saying that they're wrong (I don't really have an opinion on it), but it's certainly amazing how fast the rhetoric made a 180.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's so great how they once again seem to be mostly ignoring the mental health issues of the shooter.

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I don't think it's so much liberals switching positions as it is liberals getting radicalized and becoming leftists

NeoToma on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Cite?

I'm also not saying that they're wrong (I don't really have an opinion on it), but it's certainly amazing how fast the rhetoric made a 180.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/09/28/trumps-false-claim-that-stop-and-frisk-was-not-ruled-unconstitutional/

Specifically he wants to take guns away from minorities.

Cite?

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-stop-and-frisk-228486

Trump specifically calls for stop and frisk as a national answer to "black on black crime."

While I'm in favor of heavier gun control, it's been widely understood that the NRA and most establishment republicans are only interested in defending the second ammendment rights for white people. I don't think we'll see tighter gun control laws. I think we'll see proposals for heavier screening at airports, and a heavier encouragement of government-approved racial profiling.

Remember when the Black Panthers started open carrying and Fox News lost their fucking mind?

Remember when the Black Panthers started open carrying and Fox News lost their fucking mind?

Especially disconcerting when just several months prior, they were defending white people standing outside chipotles with loaded rifles, because the restaurant adjusted their company policy to not allow guns.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It's so great how they once again seem to be mostly ignoring the mental health issues of the shooter.

Wasn't the tenor in other threads of this kind that it was a mistake to frame mass shootings as a mental health issue instead of a gun control issue and doing so was deflecting scrutiny away from gun laws

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Cite?

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-stop-and-frisk-228486

Trump specifically calls for stop and frisk as a national answer to "black on black crime."

While I'm in favor of heavier gun control, it's been widely understood that the NRA and most establishment republicans are only interested in defending the second ammendment rights for white people. I don't think we'll see tighter gun control laws. I think we'll see proposals for heavier screening at airports, and a heavier encouragement of government-approved racial profiling.

My parents' local news station (Pittsburgh) was saying that the PIT airport would see an increased police presence, including officers carrying "long guns."

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

Wasn't the tenor in other threads of this kind that it was a mistake to frame mass shootings as a mental health issue instead of a gun control issue and doing so was deflecting scrutiny away from gun laws

Yeah quit lumping awesome people like me in with mass shooters

When the Black Panthers openly carried weapons in the 1960s, the NRA made statements about how there was no need for people to be able to carry rifles around openly like that. Yes, you heard right, the NRA was against open carry laws.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

And of course there is the secret third option, where nothing is given any scrutiny and nothing changes

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

When the Black Panthers openly carried weapons in the 1960s, the NRA made statements about how there was no need for people to be able to carry rifles around openly like that. Yes, you heard right, the NRA was against open carry laws.

They weren't wrong!

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    What if a murderous deer starts charging me from 200 meters away when I'm out at the grocery store?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    What if a murderous deer starts charging me from 200 meters away when I'm out at the grocery store?

Deersuplex.gif