As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    simulacrum wrote: »

No, don't

I need to live in a world where Yoko Taro knows what "daddy" means

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Weiss, you dumbass!
    Start making sense you rotten book or you're gonna be sorry!
    Maybe I'll rip your pages out one by one, or maybe I'll put you in the goddamned furnace!

Ah, Laura Bailey. <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvqq3JE9kAU

If I remember random stories correctly, she did that all in one take too.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nicer Automata route A
    When Emil popped out of that robot I almost goddamn cheered.

And then when the Twins showed up in town I was side eyeing them so hard I'm surprised I didn't sprain something.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

No, don't

route Daddy

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

No, don't

route Daddy

Good job everyone, nice work.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I apparently stopped riiiiiiight before ending A last night.

Gonna clean that up and then I dunno probably take a short break to get in some mass effect and ds3 dlc before persona. Definitely coming back to this though, it's too good.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Trying, yet again, to get into the original Nier after beating Automata and being hungry for more.

And I'm officially further than I've ever gotten in this game before! Granted I'm still super early (only just met Kainé), but at least this time I didn't waste 3 hours trying to deliver a package without getting hit or rolling, then lose all my progress because I foolishly thought I didn't need to save before fighting "just a wild boar."

I feel like I've been nearly completely spoiled for this game, through internet osmosis as well as some of Automata's data logs, but hopefully it'll still be fun.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    While I'm not thrilled about the genre change I will still buy it.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    maybe they should, I don't know, BRING OVER 3

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Fuck yes

So I pre-ordered 1.5 + 2.5 and it doesn't unlock until midnight PST instead of midnight EST, which is lame as shit

I guess, on the bright side, MLB 17 unlocks at EST so I'll be busy for a bit anyways, but still

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    maybe they should, I don't know, BRING OVER 3

Fans do what Segadon't.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I finally for reals finished Cold Steel 2, after thinking I'd finished it and then it went huh huh surprise! You only thought you were done.

Really really looking forward to the third one. Hopefully it fixes cold steels 1 and 2 most glaring flaw of not enough Olivert and Mueller.

Viskod on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    RS3 was really, really good.

I'm excited for another go at it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I remember really enjoying the FF Legend games. Then I apparently tried playing SaGa Frontier 2 and really did not like it.

A year or so ago I bought Romancing SaGa for PS2 but just could not get anywhere in it. Nothing made sense at all.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Viskod wrote: »
    I finally for reals finished Cold Steel 2, after thinking I'd finished it and then it went huh huh surprise! You only thought you were done.

Really really looking forward to the third one. Hopefully it fixes cold steels 1 and 2 most glaring flaw of not enough Olivert and Mueller.

If you read the promo stuff it sounds like it probably will not. It will have Altina. Hope you want more of her.

Also the final dungeon was super pointless, but I appreciated being able to use all the characters.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Reynolds wrote: »

A year or so ago I bought Romancing SaGa for PS2 but just could not get anywhere in it. Nothing made sense at all.

The SaGa games are dense as fuck but really really good if the player also enjoys doing the homework required to figure them out.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. The SaGa series has always been allergic to proper documentation.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »

If you read the promo stuff it sounds like it probably will not. It will have Altina. Hope you want more of her.

Also the final dungeon was super pointless, but I appreciated being able to use all the characters.

The promo stuff for these games usually only tells you about the characters you'll see in the first 5 or so hours.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I remember getting SaGa Frontier and playing the game while understanding absolutely NOTHING about the combat or other systems. I did Blue's storyline, some of the robot's, and also a little of the girl who got run over by a vampire's carriage so he turned her into a vampire.

It was all obtuse as can be.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I remember getting SaGa Frontier and playing the game while understanding absolutely NOTHING about the combat or other systems. I did Blue's storyline, some of the robot's, and also a little of the girl who got run over by a vampire's carriage so he turned her into a vampire.

It was all obtuse as can be.

It's thick as hell but my god the actual systems working underneath everything are just fucking amazing.

Unlimited SaGa was probably one of the most amazing RPGs I've ever seen.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    SaGa Frontier 2 has the best art style of any PS1 game, period. Also a really good story and a fantastic soundtrack.

I'm a big fan of the Romancing SaGa PS2 remake. It has gameplay, music, and style in spades.

The Last Remnant PC is by my favorite SaGa game for gameplay though. Fuck that battle system is great once you know what the hell you're doing.

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I've had The Last Remnant in my Steam library for forever but I've never gotten around to it, is it worth going back to?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    I've had The Last Remnant in my Steam library for forever but I've never gotten around to it, is it worth going back to?

The music is great, the battle system is good, and the plot and VA are laughably bad. I don't exactly regret playing it, but I wish I had stayed away from trying to get weapon upgrade materials. Total heap of shit system later on.

• Options

I like Vaan from FFXII much more than I like the main character in The Last Remnant. And I detest Vaan.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    last remnant is the weird one where you don't want to level up your characters right

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    last remnant is the weird one where you don't want to level up your characters right

It's...complicated. Which about sums up the game.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The main thing I remember is all of the characters emoting the same way over and over again while talking and it made them all look like animatronics.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Saga frontier is great. Also it's so obtuse that until recently people still didn't understand everything about it even when pawing over the source code.

See also the forging in legend of Mana.

Old games be weird, yo.

Edit: oh man and great stuff like Red. Where you started blinding or murdering your human/mystic team members so you could transform, because heroes don't transform in front of people.

Of course later you could just replace everyone with robots because robots dont give a fuck.

That game was delightful. I should replay it.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i tried last remnant right when it came out on 360 (and had some pretty obnoxious graphical issues) and was really hankering for a jurp. that thing just completely baffled me

kinda wish I'd given it another few shots before trading it in, though

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The 360 version is garbage anyway, better off with the PC version if you ever feel like giving it another shot

• Options

fuck

yes

• Options

You don't in the 360 beta version. Leveling them up is fine in the PC version,

The only downside of leveling up people too much in the PC version before you get various special units you have to earn later in in the game is to not receive them too far behind.
    i tried last remnant right when it came out on 360 (and had some pretty obnoxious graphical issues) and was really hankering for a jurp. that thing just completely baffled me

kinda wish I'd given it another few shots before trading it in, though

The 360 version is literally the Beta version. Play the PC version if you ever want to give it another try, not the 360 version. Literally all the gameplay systems are changed for the better. The PC version goes for really damn cheap in Steam Stales (like $3 cheap).
    Saga frontier is great. Also it's so obtuse that until recently people still didn't understand everything about it even when pawing over the source code.

See also the forging in legend of Mana.

Old games be weird, yo.

Edit: oh man and great stuff like Red. Where you started blinding or murdering your human/mystic team members so you could transform, because heroes don't transform in front of people.

Of course later you could just replace everyone with robots because robots dont give a fuck.

That game was delightful. I should replay it.

I kinda liked Asellus the best. Human skill learning + Mystic Stat bonuses was f'ing broken man.

She's also one of the earlier canon gay protagonists in Square Enix RPGs which has always been cool.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

*ff8 no level runs ears perk up*

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    The hardest part of a no level run is farming the crap like stone so you can petrify forced battles. The characters are like gods at low levels because enemies rely on stat growths.

• Options
    I fondly remember my squads. Ninja squad x2 for massive back-attacking bypassing normal flank requirements. Beatstick squad. Special attack and more-manipulating consumable/beatstick hybrid quad (consumables didn't use AP which let me save up for massive dual-tech special attacks). And my Arcana mage group of five that tore the battlefield asunder with battlefield-wide spells of destruction combination magic. <3

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I am dying of laughter

alt post: vita means life

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.