As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    a remake of a game I already played on a system that won't be relevant much longer. uhhhh

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Beating a game on a higher difficulty is its own pleasure. This conversation sort of reminds me of Vanquish, where you could get all the achievements without ever touching the game's highest difficulty

I love Vanquish forever, I think it's my favorite shooter engine ever.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Nier is super hard as is on normal

There is no benefit to hard, dont push it if you dont have to

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    The one thing I want from the Radiant Historia remake is for them to no longer take Eruca out of your party for the last two dungeons for no good reason.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    The one thing I want from the Radiant Historia remake is for them to no longer take Eruca out of your party for the last two dungeons for no good reason.

This + buffing Rosch and nerfing Aht are what I am hoping for.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you keep your filthy hands off aht

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I hated feeling like I had to use her to play effectively. Get rid of her movement skills but keep her traps.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

I actually turned it down to easy for the first time on the final phase of the final boss on Route A.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

I actually turned it down to easy for the first time on the final phase of the final boss on Route A.

I haven't bought the game yet. Can you swap difficulties on the fly?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

I haven't bought the game yet. Can you swap difficulties on the fly?

yes

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i thought nier was super easy once you started just holding down the fire button for an entire fight

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i thought nier was super easy once you started just holding down the fire button for an entire fight

I feel like I've damaged the triggers on my PS4 controllers. It's one of the reasons why I'm toying with Hard, no lock-on makes the pods much weaker(well, not the missile pod)

• Options

Its so bad

This was so boring tho

(Also pure water is precious as gold)

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    ugh I need pure water, I forgot

where can you find that stuff?

• Options

Rare ground item in the flooded city and a rare quest reward. I had 6 by the time I cleared Ending E.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I am never going to get this upgrade

edit: eh, I got the scanner now, maybe I'll just try and grind it out

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Automata's not an easy game but I don't think it's that difficult on Normal. Though to be honest I may have over-leveled quite a bit. I LIKE BIGGER NUMBERS, I'M SORRY!

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    There are various ways to make yourself overpowered, the various healing chips can make you pretty much unkillable. I need to play through again without those chips and being as stylish as I can be, and rely on taunts to increase my damage.

Deans on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Yeah honestly, I'd say the real way to increase the challenge in Nier without actually playing on hard is to just play without plug-in chips

Game gets a lot harder when you aren't just auto-healing off of everything

The main way I healed before getting those chips was retrieving the bodies of other players, which was kind of a cool mechanic

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I got the slash wave chip sometime before the end of the amusement park and it seems really good. Am I missing any downsides to it, or?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    i mean it's not as much damage as your sword hit but no it's what it looks like on the tin

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

Rare ground item in the flooded city and a rare quest reward. I had 6 by the time I cleared Ending E.

I'm in the middle of C, just got 5 of them as a quest reward, which gave me 12 or so total. Got a Pod upgrade finally, woo.

• Options
    Just realized I should probably have more than two Pods and looked up the location of Pod B, since I remember someone hinting at the location but I never found one there

God, fishing, really?

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    really fishing!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I even did some fishing there! I just got starfishes and crabs and stuff. And those weird machine fish.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    it took me forevvvvver

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    i mean it's not as much damage as your sword hit but no it's what it looks like on the tin

Yeah, shockwave is very good.

Chips I always have equipped: shockwave, auto-heal, auto-item, EXP boost, item drop boost. And then I just fit in as many melee resistance and weapon-damage ups as I can.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Also, I just started my second playthrough of Nier
    Hacking is cool and all, but it is ROUGH having only one attack button when you're playing as 9S.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Hacking is cool and all, but it is ROUGH having only one attack button when you're playing as 9S.

Some tips for that:
    9S actually still has Heavy attacks, there are a couple ways to do them. Press Attack, then delay, then more Attacks to do a Heavy chain. You can also start a Heavy chain by pressing Attack immediately after a dodge. And of course he can still do charge attacks and launchers and sprinting attacks like 2B, just with the light attack button instead.

• Options
    Deans wrote: »

Some tips for that:
    9S actually still has Heavy attacks, there are a couple ways to do them. Press Attack, then delay, then more Attacks to do a Heavy chain. You can also start a Heavy chain by pressing Attack immediately after a dodge. And of course he can still do charge attacks and launchers and sprinting attacks like 2B, just with the light attack button instead.
    Ah, okay

I suspected he might have some sort of delay mechanic. But Nier doesn't seem to have any sort of combo list (unlike every other Platinum game I've played), so it was tough to tell.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    the best chip is the one that puts chests on your minimap

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    the best chip is the one that puts chests on your minimap

Yo WHAT?

I need that chip yesterday

Also I have, like, 7 Pure Waters and I only just now finished the desert boss on Route B.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    i just had it in shops on playthrough 2

because i'm better than you are

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is the camera in Nier Automata kind of bad? At least there's a bunch of settings you can mess with to make it better, but it'd be nice if it was just good to begin with.

It seemed to never point in the direction I was moving, so I turned up the auto-adjust settings. Then it always seemed to move really close to the ground and I ended up turning the vertical auto-adjust all the way down.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the camera in Nier Automata kind of bad? At least there's a bunch of settings you can mess with to make it better, but it'd be nice if it was just good to begin with.

It seemed to never point in the direction I was moving, so I turned up the auto-adjust settings. Then it always seemed to move really close to the ground and I ended up turning the vertical auto-adjust all the way down.

Platinum has always had...issues with cameras.

Revengeance was pretty bad, so Nier seems fine to me.

Also there are some instances where the camera is purposefully bad, because Yoko Taro is a dick.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    While Bayonetta and Revengeance certainly have camera issues, I remember them being much less frequent than this.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I... Haven't actually had much in the way of camera issues? But I mostly play games that expect me to move the camera so I don't really leave it up to the auto movement much.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I spent all of my 9S gameplay dodging and hacking. I might have attacked in maybe 10-15 fights total.

Yukira on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Automata's not an easy game but I don't think it's that difficult on Normal. Though to be honest I may have over-leveled quite a bit. I LIKE BIGGER NUMBERS, I'M SORRY!

I would argue that on normal it is kinda easy. But different people find different stuff challenging!

I was WAY under-leveled all game. I did basically no side-quests and didn't fight anything but required encounters (and enough of the tall skinny guys to upgrade my yohra blade to rank 3)

Like I was 20 levels down at many points. But the dodge is incredibly forgiving. If you see an attack you don't have to time it, you just mash it and WHHOOP no damage!

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I too take advantage of the very forgiving dodge, but I want to trigger the rad parries. I'll dash into a horde of baddies, light-to-heavy combo, then dash out hopefully triggering the parry. But I still wouldn't say it's easy on normal. There's a lot to learn and the game doesn't tell you how to do most of it.

Speaking of parries...
    If you hit the Pod fire bumper after a perfect dodge, you'll toss a grenade as your parry. It's pretty cool, but I think you still do more damage with a light or heavy attack.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
This discussion has been closed.