As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    LUCT ending spoilers ahoy:
    Catiua needs to be alive to get the best ending in the remake. Lodis still invades, but with Catiua on the throne the clans unite behind her and New Xenobia pledges loyalty to her as well, which they won't do for Denam. She also needs to be alive for some of the coda stuff.

Midnite on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Stilts wrote: »
    If Tactics Ogre really is pretty different, I suppose I'll give Lordly Caliber a shot.

Anything I should know about the systems going in?

It's.... pretty complicated in general. I guess the parts you need to keep in mind is that your Chaos Frame is determined (mostly, over the course of the game) by if you liberate towns or capture them. To liberate a town, have the unit that takes it be lead by someone with an alignment that's similar to the town's. Each town has an alignment score that roughly correlates to character alignment, so more chaotic leaders liberate lower-scoring towns but capture higher-scoring ones.

Generally speaking if you liberate towns you are nice, if you capture them you're an asshole.

Unit alignment isn't quite like in Tactics Ogre but has its similarities. It's affected by what units you fight, in that if you fight units more chaotic than the unit then the unit will tend to be more lawful, while fighting more lawful units will tend to make your own more chaotic. It's interesting because if you have a really lawful character and you fight a less-lawful-but-still-lawful character, you get more strongly lawful! Because they weren't lawful enough. You don't lose alignment for hunting down and destroying weakened enemy units (if I remember)

Individual character alignment is also affected by peer pressure. Putting a chaotic character in a lawful unit will generally make that chaotic character more lawful (while making the rest of the team very slightly more chaotic, then trending toward lawful again). If you have a really powerfully aligned character, though, they can drag the entire unit in their direction.

A lot of people find the alignment system very frustrating. If you do too, you can bypass it using the item duplication glitch to get a ton of the items that raise or lower a character's alignment. It's been a while since I used it but I know the method listed on GameFAQs is more complicated than it needs to be.

Edit: Also seriously, if you have problems with being slow-paced, Ogre Battle will have similar problems to Tactics Ogre. The combat itself is worlds faster, but map traversal is sloooooooow.

Read the entire Warren Report.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    What's unique about it though, decent characters and turn based are things that work plenty well for me but is there a particular hook to the series?

in addition the game plays out day to day, over the course of a year. so the gameplay loop is something like, ok its tuesday so you go to school. stuff will happen at school, maybe you'll be approached to hang out later, stuff like that. after school you make decisions on what to do with your time, whether hang out with party members or other people to raise social links and see their storylines, whether to go shopping or to work a part time job, or whether to take a day and go dungeon diving with your team. then there is usually stuff to do at night also, and then the next day happens.

Ok that sounds awesome. Between you and Mad you have me on board, question, would Persona 4 Golden on Vita be a good option to go with to jump in?

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    What's unique about it though, decent characters and turn based are things that work plenty well for me but is there a particular hook to the series?

in addition the game plays out day to day, over the course of a year. so the gameplay loop is something like, ok its tuesday so you go to school. stuff will happen at school, maybe you'll be approached to hang out later, stuff like that. after school you make decisions on what to do with your time, whether hang out with party members or other people to raise social links and see their storylines, whether to go shopping or to work a part time job, or whether to take a day and go dungeon diving with your team. then there is usually stuff to do at night also, and then the next day happens.

Ok that sounds awesome. Between you and Mad you have me on board, question, would Persona 4 Golden on Vita be a good option to go with to jump in?

If you have a Vita, P4G is a fantastic choice. It includes quite a bit of additional story content and some really good quality-of-life features.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    You know what's probably NOT the best jurp of its generation, is Xenogears. I'm up to right before the final battle, and yeah going to the second disk was interesting. I kind of like it better though? My main issue with this game has been the tedious gameplay, and the weird story is what's gotten me through, so disk two felt like a podcast put on double speed and skipping the boring parts. It's still a pretty long story though, I can't imagine actually playing through all the sequences they summarized. I kind of go back and forth on whether this game could really use a remake.

At this point I'm going to grind a bit to save up money for the best gear engines and rechargers.

sig.gif
  • CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    If Tactics Ogre really is pretty different, I suppose I'll give Lordly Caliber a shot.

It's.... pretty complicated in general. I guess the parts you need to keep in mind is that your Chaos Frame is determined (mostly, over the course of the game) by if you liberate towns or capture them. To liberate a town, have the unit that takes it be lead by someone with an alignment that's similar to the town's. Each town has an alignment score that roughly correlates to character alignment, so more chaotic leaders liberate lower-scoring towns but capture higher-scoring ones.

Generally speaking if you liberate towns you are nice, if you capture them you're an asshole.

Unit alignment isn't quite like in Tactics Ogre but has its similarities. It's affected by what units you fight, in that if you fight units more chaotic than the unit then the unit will tend to be more lawful, while fighting more lawful units will tend to make your own more chaotic. It's interesting because if you have a really lawful character and you fight a less-lawful-but-still-lawful character, you get more strongly lawful! Because they weren't lawful enough. You don't lose alignment for hunting down and destroying weakened enemy units (if I remember)

Individual character alignment is also affected by peer pressure. Putting a chaotic character in a lawful unit will generally make that chaotic character more lawful (while making the rest of the team very slightly more chaotic, then trending toward lawful again). If you have a really powerfully aligned character, though, they can drag the entire unit in their direction.

A lot of people find the alignment system very frustrating. If you do too, you can bypass it using the item duplication glitch to get a ton of the items that raise or lower a character's alignment. It's been a while since I used it but I know the method listed on GameFAQs is more complicated than it needs to be.

Edit: Also seriously, if you have problems with being slow-paced, Ogre Battle will have similar problems to Tactics Ogre. The combat itself is worlds faster, but map traversal is sloooooooow.

Huh.. the way I remember it, wiping out leaderless units always pushes you towards chaos.
    Also, fighting units higher level than you is lawful, and fighting units lower level is chaotic.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    One thing you absolutely HAVE to give tactics ogre is that "Chaos Frame" is the best name for a Video Game Morality System

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I believe that goes to the original Ogre Battle

edited February 2017
    Chaos Frame is a strong name, though.

Man I'd just about kick somebody's ass for a modern cleanup of March of the Black Queen and Person of Lordly Caliber. Let Alexander O. Smith have a pass at those scripts, mhmm, that'd be nice.
    Cromarty wrote: »

Huh.. the way I remember it, wiping out leaderless units always pushes you towards chaos.
    Also, fighting units higher level than you is lawful, and fighting units lower level is chaotic.

My memory may very much be failing me in this respect, but I think that was a thing in Queen, not Caliber

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I believe that goes to the original Ogre Battle

I am pretty sure it was used in the luct remake but yes

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    3 weeks to Nier, 5 to ME:A, and 7 to P5.

I'm ready.

edited February 2017
    I haven't played OB64 all the way through in better than 15 years

Sure is going to be interesting going back and being asked to partake in an ethnic cleansing in service of proxy colonialism during the first act

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Are we fighting people about Ogre Battle? You have my spear, @Wyborn .

Also Let Us Cling Together is better than Final Fantasy Tactics and it's not close. I'm totally gonna end up replaying that on the next year or so. (Well, playing the Vita remake for the first time; whatever.) Although to be honest I don't think I ever technically beat it...I came close, though. Person of Lordly Calibur and Knight of Lodis are the two I've fully beaten.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    edited February 2017
    I never beat LUCT all the way either

Maybe I should do that first... Lordly Caliber after BOTW? Hrm

Edit: Also the final battle in Knight of Lodis was fuckin' hard. I don't know how I would have handled it without the Snapdragon and a teleporting murder machine.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Looking back on Final Fantasy Tactics...

There actually weren't many tactics involved by tactic game standards.

Lot of cheap shit though.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Does the LUCT remake work on PSTV? I could dig out my Vita, but I was kind of considering picking one of those up.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I never beat LUCT all the way either

Maybe I should do that first... Lordly Caliber after BOTW? Hrm

Edit: Also the final battle in Knight of Lodis was fuckin' hard. I don't know how I would have handled it without the Snapdragon and a teleporting murder machine.
    I remember that battle so distinctly. Cramming the boss into the corner with only two adjacent tiles was such a dick move.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Does the LUCT remake work on PSTV? I could dig out my Vita, but I was kind of considering picking one of those up.

I believe it does.

At least I was able to buy it off the store.

Have yet to play it yet.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    It Sucks To Be Velvet Crowe, you guys

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

I really hope my theory about What's Going On is wrong, cause boy is it gonna be not great if I'm right.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

If you have a Vita, P4G is a fantastic choice. It includes quite a bit of additional story content and some really good quality-of-life features.

Agree'd this - Persona 4 Golden is a great game. So good I'd define it as a system seller - ie, if you haven't got a Vita, I'd get one for P4G.

Then get other great games, obviously, of which the Vita has a good few.

M-Vickers on
    Pretty sure P4G also works on PSTV, and you only lose out on the screen tapping thing in dungeons which is basically a nothing addition anyway

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

but
    it ends up ok

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osd16ILchHs

Yep, the music is appropriate because that's about what was going through my mind at the time.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

oh i see, you've reached the part where The Worst Thing That Could Happen happens. yeah its fucking brutal, like holy shit

also your about to reach the part where laphicet becomes a sick badass so enjoy

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Oh god. Berseria Water Temple spoilers
    Did this six year old just eat her own mom?

Also that boss was kind of a dick cause whoof Tales AI is bad at dodging AOEs

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

but
    it ends up ok
    I mean, for certain definitions of ok

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/02/15/square-enix-announces-sinoalice-new-game-nier-automata-director-yoko-taro/
    The game’s tagline is definitely very “Yoko Taro-like,” as it reads “Sore wa saiaku no monogatari,” which translates as “this is the worst story.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKeAJDtEe9E

uyvfOQy.png

oh i see, you've reached the part where The Worst Thing That Could Happen happens. yeah its fucking brutal, like holy shit

Yeah that's where I am

I had a podcast to edit last night and I bought for honor and instead I played bersaria for 5 hours

I cannot tear myself away

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    might be time to bust out the ol psp and finally play tactics ogre, i spose

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Oh also most of the Zestria tie ins haven't done much for me but the reveal of
    armatization
    Was super cool

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017

Yea the big draw is that it's half turn based jurp and half social simulator.

You spend just as much time talking to people and hanging with friends and various other social activities as you do dungeon crawling.

DemonStacey on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »

but
    it ends up ok
    I mean, for certain definitions of ok
    Some incredibly bizarre definitions of OK. "trapped in in endless loop of feeding off of an empyrean while they feed off of you" is so far from 'ok'

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Looking back on Final Fantasy Tactics...

There actually weren't many tactics involved by tactic game standards.

Lot of cheap shit though.
    No kidding. Having not played it in years, I picked up WotL and am playing through it on my phone.

This game hasn't aged well at all. The level design is downright horrid. It's mostly a game about picking the "right" classes for any given battle and/or lots and lots of grinding. Basically you either go super cheap and limited with your options to steamroll everything, or you get about 15 levels above the story maps by endlessly fighting random enemies on old maps.

The story and general fun of interacting with the job system are the only things keeping me going at this point. The original translation was so weak that I barely had a grasp of what was going on, so it's a ton of fun to revisit it and actually understand everything.

But pretty much every single story battle sucks. And as much as running around with a bunch of invincible brawler ninjas would make that easier, it would also obliterate the fun of the job system, so grindy grindy it is.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

Yeah that's where I am

I had a podcast to edit last night and I bought for honor and instead I played bersaria for 5 hours

Man, I'm almost in the exact same position. I'm trying to push through Berseria (just did some pot fishing so not quite as far), but For Honor is really calling to me.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    This is why we recomend Tactics Orgre. It's aged better.

I also personally recommend Growlancer V, Knights of the Nightmare, and Wild Arms XF.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Qanamil wrote: »

Yeah that's where I am

Man, I'm almost in the exact same position. I'm trying to push through Berseria (just did some pot fishing so not quite as far), but For Honor is really calling to me.

There's a turning point at which the roller coaster ride just goes into freefall and I haven't been able to turn away

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I love FF Tactics dearly and will still replay it, but yeah it's not that great of a game tactically. It's insanely easy to break without much effort. Also, I think i'm going to buy a PSTV now that I can get one for like 40 bucks just to play tactics and tactics ogre:luct(only played this one for like a couple hours during the short time that I owned a PSP)

If you like jurps the pstv is a pro as hell buy

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Yeah, I definitely do. The only things I know I should get are FFT/Tactics Ogre/Persona 4 Golden(I tried this on PS3, gave up, wanna give it another try but don't have my PS3 anymore).

Mind giving me some other good jrpg suggestions for a PSTV/vita?

This discussion has been closed.