As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2fort5 v3.5

delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Critical Failures
Just an idea:

Remember good ol' Q1 Team Fort? I think the classic map (2fort5 was the name) would make a fun team-vs-team DnD grand melee, where everyone makes a 10th level character and can hop in and out at will. This would of course require a few things:

1) A pre-made physical map, preferrably in 3-D;

2) A large number of players coming and going throughout the day(s), i.e. the game would have to be at a convention;

3) Multiple judges/GMs to run the darned thing.

Some problems I see that would need to be addressed:

A) What happens when characters die? Do they respawn? Are they DEAD dead? Can the player make another character and rejoin later?

I would suggest that there be 11 pre-gen characters (one for each class) that the players could draw from. This would allow for balanced respawn, as, for one, some of the more game-breaking stuff can be excised by the GMs beforehand. This does have the distinct disadvantage of making the characters a little boring, as they are all carbon copies of each other, and it squashes the variation possible within each class.

Also, I would suggest not allowing resurrection, as the only raise spell castable at 10th level would leave the revived character at only one hitpoint. Though I would allow healing and the "Death's Door" rule, as this adds a nice level of complexity to the game (ex: I just dropped the fighter, now let me camp him and see if the cleric takes the bait! Bwahaha!). Theoretically, the characters could have items that resurrect, but the sheer cost of those items would put them out of reach of the 49k gold 10th level characters start with.

B) How many players on the board at once? How are players removed and new players added?

Here, I would go with eight players, as this forces people who want to play as teams to decide which character types they must abandon. It is also a nod to the original player cap of the map (if I remember correctly, or was it 16?). Plus, sixteen players would get a little crowded, especially with AoE effects.

I would also use a king-of-the-mountain system, where if you die, you are out, and the next person waiting to get in "spawns". I would allow players to re-enter the line and wait their turn to get back in on the match. Because of the re-entry, I would suggest either pre-gen characters or rerolling of new characters so as to prevent cheesy characters made by cheesy players from ruining the game for everyone else.

Going to add more to this thread but logging for the night.

EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
"Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
delroland on

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dude. Tha'd be friggin' cool. 2fort with D&D? I'd do it.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Post 2:

Other issues:

The main problem with any DnD game involving more than five players is that it can take FOREVER to resolve even a single round of combat. My solution to this is for players to have an index card they turn in with their movement and actions for the round. If they don't have their card turned in when their turn comes up, they "lag out" and can take no actions. If they "lag out" for three rounds in a row, the "server" "kicks them" and the next player in line to join gets in. This provides the player with a quandary: do they turn in their card early and ensure they get their turn or do they push it to the last moment in order to maximize their combat potential for the round? I think it would add a fun layer of intricacy to the event.

Unfortunately, this gives the game a less tactile feel and takes some of that fun from the player. Optionally, you could have the player turn in his move and then allow him to move his own mini.

Another huge issue would be any sort of spell that allows for monsters to be placed on the board, such as summoning or polymorphing. In order to deal with this, I would suggest any player with such an abillity or creature would be required to provide a stat-card to the GM's (or at least have one on hand).

Yet another topic is that of which rules sets to allow. I would suggest Core v3.5 only, though that begs the question: are +ECL races allowed? I would say yes, but again, the player would be required to have on hand a premade stat card detailing all abilities of their race, including DC's and such.

Anyone have any feedback or suggestions or witticisms or whatever?

delroland on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    man, plenty of views, but no feedback...

i r teh sad panda...

delroland on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I could help with making some optimized characters, i'm guessing this is core-only by the OP. It's certainly an interesting experiment. I like http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/ for stats.

Note that by level 10, wizards and sorcerors will have quite a few save or dies. This is extremely tricky to balance against, especially if they also take transportation spells. Melee fighters simply could not get close.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK