As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No More Heroes III] The Galaxy vs The Hood [It's game time!]

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Limited Run Games to produce physical editions for the Switch ports of 1 and 2:

Pre-orders are up:

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Bring that Killion Dollar edition to the west, please.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I lost it at the wikipedia and metacritic bit. Self-deprecating Suda is best Suda.

Gameplay from the stream:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izrgAB0HJm4

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Geez, they really want me to play Travis Strikes Again

First two games are coming to Steam:

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Ranked bosses:
    nmh3rankings.png?width=1025&height=577

wVEsyIc.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I can't believe this is out in a few weeks.

I also can't believe that I have to decide between NMH3 and fucking Psychonauts 2 for which to play first in the god damn year 2021.

Wild.

Gonna lose it if Yuki(TSC 25th Ward) gets a cameo.

wVEsyIc.png
    Check out the current banner on the NoA Twitter profile:

Scorpion farming is back!

wVEsyIc.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Man what

I feel like i haven't seen any trailers for this since last year and now it's coming out?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Rami wrote: »
    Man what

I feel like i haven't seen any trailers for this since last year and now it's coming out?

There's been a ton of smaller trailers and some livestreams, no one here's really posted them though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x97NRkFtH3I

And Suda tweets.

wVEsyIc.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I hope this game feels good to play. Bayonetta came out slightly before NMH2 and boy it was really hard for me to enjoy the combat. Bayonetta has honestly ruined action games like this and DMC lol.

I'm sure it'll feel fine, except for the parts that Suda makes bad on purpose.

Anyway!

Today is "No More Monday". A bunch of outlets and influencers got to play the beginning of III early. Here's one of my favorites:

https://youtu.be/wT6f96DMvkA

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'd be into this so much more if Travis wasn't fighting space aliens.

I'm not sure I can explain why. I think it may be because the other No More Heroes (or at least the first) had this kind of weird mix of being completely out there and also kind of mundane. Like, yeah, sure, one of the bosses is a granny whose shopping cart turns into a giant laser, but one of the other bosses is just some guy with two revolvers.

But now it just feels like it's all out there all the time. It's just spectacle.

Also, Travis is a hero now? That doesn't sound right.

Boy, this game gets meta real fast.

wVEsyIc.png
    Gotta remember to use the bike's emergency brake to do a cool Akira slide after arriving at a destination, I'm not doing it as much as I should.

I just realized all Travis' attack call outs are members of the Pure White Lover series.

Also, he really didn't care about these copyrights, good lord.

wVEsyIc.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble getting used a couple things in this game: first of all, it's got a Dark Souls-ish dodge roll where you can only dodge out of the neutral stance, so you really get punished for attacking too aggressively, and second, jump is on the B button and dodge is on A, when I really expect an action game like this to put dodge on the B button (and I haven't found any way to remap it).

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Question about Beam Katanas!
    Is it true there is only the starting one? If so that seems like a weird step back... but also I guess means I don't really care too much about doing lots of side missions if there's nothing cool like that for me to upgrade.

Oh also just a general question since it doesn't seem to be explained in game at all( I legit even went to the specific tutorial in the tutorial room for this and it tells you nothing)

The fuck does tension actually do?

Like I see it goes up. But what does having it full do for me?

Oh also just a general question since it doesn't seem to be explained in game at all( I legit even went to the specific tutorial in the tutorial room for this and it tells you nothing)

The fuck does tension actually do?

Like I see it goes up. But what does having it full do for me?

Boosts your damage and gives you longer combo strings.

Somehow I've gooten to Rank 5 without realizing that "radial shockwave along the ground" is supposed to be countered with the jump.

Muscle memory is a hell of a thing.

This really feels like it's a weird combination of 1 and 2. It has the open world and the tone of the first, with some of the improvements from 2, but still a lot missing, like being able to break guard by doing melee attacks(unless that comes later?). The tone is perfect, though. Just wish the levels had dungeons instead of 'go find three of x spawn spot'.

wVEsyIc.png
    Is it just me, or is the permeating theme of NMH3 kind of a mid-life crisis? In NMH1, Travis wanted to be the best. In 2, he wanted revenge. In TSA, he just hides out and immerses himself in fantasy.

Sure in 3 he's trying to save the world and all, but his hotel always has this sad music playing. He's a top ranked assassin, has all the otaku stuff he could ever want, and he has a wife and kids, so... what now?

wVEsyIc.png
    It's kind of sad how rushed the last half of this game feels, and the trope of
    half the bosses being killed off in favor of someone else isn't helping.

That got old real fast.

wVEsyIc.png
    Rank 8
    Wasn't expecting a tutorial boss this late.

We're clearly being led to anticipate the reveal that this guy is Travis's grandson from the future...which makes me wary it's a fakeout.

That ending was incredible, A++.

Suda, you crazy bastard.

wVEsyIc.png
    Also, this shot during the rank 2 fight is really creepy, and hints that a lot is not well with a certain paramour:
    xooghz040yy7.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Just got this and am about to get into it. What is everyones preferred way to play? I'm thinking Travis having the JoyCons on his glove is heavily hinting at playing with them but thought I would see how well they work here. (If its mostly just for finishing moves I could see that being more optimal than how Super Mario Party or Skyward Sword play at times).

NNID: Rehab0
    I went controller and never felt restrained by the absence of motion controls, for what it's worth.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I didn't know the first two games are coming to Steam. I just bought the second one on the Wii.

Robin Atkin Downes did a stream too:

Spoiler: he's no Travis. :lol:

wVEsyIc.png
    Rank 7
    I understand in principle being annoyed at the number of fakeout switches with the bosses, but honestly this was just so much better I didn't mind at all.

If you had told me that Kimmy Howell would become a pop star and challenge Travis again through a rap battle live on stage at a concert I...would have believed it easily.

I...we...Travis had to respect her wishes, and her resolve. Right?