As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help, I've created a puzzle game eating monster

2»

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Puzzle Agent 1 and 2 might be a good fit. The best way I can describe it is "what if David Lynch made a Professor Layton game?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Your mom is my hero if you introduced her to Myst around Christmas and she beat it less than a month later... holy shit!

The Witness is probably a good choice if she liked Myst. Talos Principle as well.

Portal 1&2 are solid choices as well. Not sure how comfortable she is with KBaM since it can get a bit twitchy at times. The Turing Test is a very cool Portal-ish puzzle game that's less twitchy as well!

Also, you could treat your mom and get her a 3DS with some Layton games ;D

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If she had someone else to play with, ohhh man KTANE.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Many, many thanks for all of the suggestions, I've been feeding them to her and she's stoked...and has probably spent a decent amount of money on Steam by now!

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Your mom is my hero if you introduced her to Myst around Christmas and she beat it less than a month later... holy shit!

The Witness is probably a good choice if she liked Myst. Talos Principle as well.

Portal 1&2 are solid choices as well. Not sure how comfortable she is with KBaM since it can get a bit twitchy at times. The Turing Test is a very cool Portal-ish puzzle game that's less twitchy as well!

Myst, The Room, and The Room 2

...all while either unable to sleep or waking up with her morning cuppa tea, and somehow she does't think she's terribly bright O.o

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    Many, many thanks for all of the suggestions, I've been feeding them to her and she's stoked...and has probably spent a decent amount of money on Steam by now!

I was hoping this post was going to end with you needing more.

• Options

I was hoping this post was going to end with you needing more.

I expect I'll be back with more questions and a better idea of which parts of the puzzle game genre she likes in the next few weeks :)

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If tower defense see me

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    @Belasco32
    The Witness is on 50% off on a Steam weekend sale. Haven't played it myself (fucking back log), but it is supposed to be amazing.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    https://humblebundle.com/freedom

@Belasco32

This bundle is loaded with both puzzle games, and a smattering of similar to puzzle genres and such, Mini Metro, Witness, Mushroom 11 and World of Goo alone are KILLER little puzzlers

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Mom was floored when I sent her my currated list from this thread. She's currently working her way single-handedly through Witness, and loving it! I'll add this very cool list to the one I gave her.

You guys are awesome!

We also recently introduced Mom to the Vive, we got Vacate the Room for her to play with & she got through it in less than a half hour...while chatting with us about mechanics & how remarkable VR is. Now we're on constant look out for non-horror escape room games for the Vive for the next time she's over...sooooo, if anyone has any suggestions in that realm, please lemme know!

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Don't know about Vive, but how about Fez for another puzzle/exploration game?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Buy a GoPro and mount it on your head. Go to an escape room and have your mom link up to the GoPro via the VR headset. She gets the thrill of the escape rooms and you get out of the house.

Yes, I got this idea from the Chatroulette zombie attack thinger they did 2-3 years ago.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    If this is something she enjoys, she may also enjoy real life escape rooms. That could be a real fun family event. I don't know exactly where you are, but they popped up everywhere over here.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Mom was floored when I sent her my currated list from this thread. She's currently working her way single-handedly through Witness, and loving it! I'll add this very cool list to the one I gave her.

You guys are awesome!

We also recently introduced Mom to the Vive, we got Vacate the Room for her to play with & she got through it in less than a half hour...while chatting with us about mechanics & how remarkable VR is. Now we're on constant look out for non-horror escape room games for the Vive for the next time she's over...sooooo, if anyone has any suggestions in that realm, please lemme know!

Make sure and warn her that steam seems to think all these 'find the hidden object mysteries!' games qualify as 'puzzles'. I mean sure...i guess its valid...but going through a Hoarders collection of Junk isnt quite the same level of mental agility as some of the other stuff suggested here.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Myst, The Room, and The Room 2

...all while either unable to sleep or waking up with her morning cuppa tea, and somehow she does't think she's terribly bright O.o

Argh, it makes me sad when women are down on themselves like this.

I grew up surrounded by very smart people. My family members - on both sides - invariably excel in their chosen fields, which include medicine, computer science, English, music, education, and theoretical math. My IQ usually tests at around 140, depending on the test. My sister grew up thinking she was the "dumb one" because she was in the 95th percentile on standardized tests, instead of the 99th. That's my frame of reference.

Your mom beat Myst in under a month while playing sleep-deprived. That's fucking brilliant.