As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm in IL. In the very early stages of thinking about this.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I regret getting rid of my revolver.

I love my Canik 9mm. I fucking LOVE it.

But there was something about that Ruger SP101 with the 4 inch barrel.

.357 magnum and shot 38 so it was good for the range or home defense.

Also I keep seeing lever action rifles and as bad as I want one I just can't settle on a caliber. Like I don't want a .22 because I've already got a .22

Friend has a .44 and it's a lot of fun, but I was figuring I'd either go 30-30 or just whole hog it and get a 45-70 with a scope.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The real question is if you get the 45-70 how long you can hold off getting a single action revolver and going full Cowboy Action.

nibXTE7.png
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    .357 level action. They can shoot .38 as well. :D

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    The real question is if you get the 45-70 how long you can hold off getting a single action revolver and going full Cowboy Action.

Thankfully there are no tournaments close by or I'd have already spent buckets of money on Cowboy 3 Gun

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    .357 level action. They can shoot .38 as well. :D

That would be my choice, too, and whenever I finally get around to buying a lever-action rifle, it will likely be in either .357 or .44 Magnum.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Federal has a mail-in rebate going until August 31st on a bunch of .223/5.56 ammo, 5 cents off per round, up to 4,000 rounds. Basically $50 off a case. Pushes a lot of it down to about 25 cents per round.

https://www.federalpremium.com/downloads/promotions/FP1417_AE5.56and223promo_web_f.pdf

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    good lord, don't let the twelve nerds who still give a shit about steampunk know or we'll never hear the end of it

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Finally took home a Remington 11-87 I inherited from my grandfather. Beautiful gun in walnut furniture. It was a dedicated deer slug gun, it's got a 3x9 tapped and mounted and a 24"" rifled barrel.

Not sure if I want to leave it as is, or look at getting a pistol grip synthetic stock and a 18.5" smoothbore barrel. I'd have to remove the scope too, and I don't know how much I want to play with that given its not on a rail.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Finally took home a Remington 11-87 I inherited from my grandfather. Beautiful gun in walnut furniture. It was a dedicated deer slug gun, it's got a 3x9 tapped and mounted and a 24"" rifled barrel.

Not sure if I want to leave it as is, or look at getting a pistol grip synthetic stock and a 18.5" smoothbore barrel. I'd have to remove the scope too, and I don't know how much I want to play with that given its not on a rail.

Why would you mod it? Leave it as is, and buy a Model 870 TAC-14 instead.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular

Save it, don't mod it. Shotguns are pretty common, something used or even new that is exactly what you are looking for is probably not going to be much more money than modifying that shotgun.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Oh, I'm looking for a full stock, just also with a pistol grip. That Raptor grip does not look pleasant to shoot.

I kind of like the idea of a semiauto over a pump, that was my only thought over going and getting a 590. But it's a purely academic discussion for me, anyways.

Maybe I'll try and shoot some trap or skeet with it, though.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    edited July 2017
    Now with pics!

Ef3hL0Hh.jpg?1

SummaryJudgment on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    So the range I go to has a .50 cal and they let you shoot it for $10 a round. I didn't partake in it, but some people about three benches over did. I could feel it in my teeth.

However, I am happy to report that I shot the CZ and the Sig compacts quite well at the pistol line, and I took the victory out to their steel range and diagnosed it as shooting pretty damn high. I was having to hold at the very bottom of the targets to get hits. Didn't feel like trying to adjust the sights, because it was getting too hot to fool with.

The AR I should have stopped shooting after the first two 10 shot groups.

But it was a fine day at the range

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    Anybody ever shot Glock Sport Shooting Foundation matches before?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Well...I done did it. I'm a Beretta/HK/Tavor...and now Sig guy. While I couldn't find the .45 P320C with a manual safety, I was able to find a 9mm with the manual safety. It is now on a UPS truck heading towards my FFL. Admittedly, it wasn't quite as good a deal as when I got my HK ($400 discount)...it was still around $80 under the best online retail price I could find for it (the manual safety variant also has night sights)...and $180 under what I could find at Cabela's.

Photos of my wee collection to come at a later date (probably sometime after the Sig gets transferred to my possession).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Good work. My P320 Carry came in two weeks ago, but this being New York State, I waved hello and then watched it put safely away while I wait four weeks for a judge to get around to adding it to my permit. There is no good reason for this except to try to find some way to not let me quickly acquire a handgun legally.

But your crimes of passion!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Good work. My P320 Carry came in two weeks ago, but this being New York State, I waved hello and then watched it put safely away while I wait four weeks for a judge to get around to adding it to my permit. There is no good reason for this except to try to find some way to not let me quickly acquire a handgun legally.

Four weeks is a long wait, but at least the sale is being vetted.

• [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    1500 rounds through the scorpion and I'm in love. Bought some steel gongs, pushed out to 200 or so yards with a 6" plate with no issue standing with 115gr cheapo american eagle and vortex 1x spitfire

How high are you holding for 200?

• [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Well fuck, I guess I have to go back out and see where I was holding. Oh no...nobody want's that....:)

EDIT - I should know this, but I went on three weeks of vacation at the beach after I went shooting. I blame it on the sun.

[Paragon] on
    I mean, shooting it at 100 I've found I hold a little high since I don't think you'd lose much with a longer barrel and everything I've found on 9mm and distance shooting is that it will drop 12-14" at 100 out of a 5" barrel.

200 I'd imagine there would be some significant drop, but I've watched IV8888 shoot targets with a keltec sub2k at 400 with a healthy hold over

As promised, here's my growing collection.
    y14wj3rw9axl.jpg

Haven't done anything with the P320C (yet) other than cleaning off the factory grease and oiling the moving bits.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Fairchild wrote: »

Four weeks is a long wait, but at least the sale is being vetted.

A normal NICS background check is a sale being vetted. A county or state court isn't going to do any more investigating than a NICS check did because they're dealing with hundreds of thousands of other cases per year (depending on the court). What's more likely is that it would sit on a Judge's desk for a month under a pile of other paperwork until he got around to signing it. There's no real added value that, for example, a state waiting period of a few business days wouldn't accomplish. It's only a step which makes legal sales more onerous for the sake of it.

NSDFRand on
    So pawn shop has a Stoeger Classic side by side for $350 and I'm sure I could get it for that out the door with background.

The problem is what do I sell to appease the wife. I checked it and the barrel is ungodly clean and the single pull trigger hits both chambers fine and it's just in really good shape, for at least $100 less than I can get a new one.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Gun thread, I would like you to gaze upon this masterpiece, and speculate with me on just what the hell the parts of this monstrosity are

20633518_1924052424519540_5352868623482355712_n.jpg

So far I have
    • Kriss Vector (9mm)
    • Wooden stock from I'm guessing a Thompson, mounted on a custom rail extension, complete with LEDs and a Dial from an amp
    • Muzzle Brake from a Barret .50 cal (or a repro)
    • What looks like some kind of quad-rail fore-end from an AR platform mounted in a way I can't fathom
    • an M203 Grenade Launcher
    • Is that a Thermal optic?

If I were to ever own a Vector, this is probably what I'd do with it

edited August 2017
    imgur.com/x8WWe3Y.jpg

Higher res image of it. The sticker on the side of the scope is a laser warning sticker.

I'm disappointed the knob only goes to 10, also.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    As a P320 owner, I'm a little vexed by the new drop safety issues of it that came out from Omaha Outdoors.

As a P320 owner, I'm a little vexed by the new drop safety issues of it that came out from Omaha Outdoors.

Huh...whattaya know: I inadvertently chose the 'fixed' version of the P320 (according to that Omaha Outdoors article detailing the drop issues they found) without knowing there was even a possible safety issue with the gun.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    that Vector Cable's carrying is Liefield as fuck and I love it

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I honestly don't love the wooden stock, when I think of Liefelds brand of insane horseshittery "wood grain" never enters into it

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I honestly don't love the wooden stock, when I think of Liefelds brand of insane horseshittery "wood grain" never enters into it

It's definitely a different type of insanity. Since it's likely being played for humor, the wood stock just adds an element of absurdity that can be played straight.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    They chose the Kriss because it's sci fi, but I feel like they ought to have gone with a bigger gun. He ought to have a cut down m82 with a drum magazine or something.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Oh man I might have the opportunity to pick up a lightly used Marlin 30-30 lever action. I got to shoot it this weekend and man, what a fun gun. I've wanted a lever action forever.
    imgur.com/x8WWe3Y.jpg

Higher res image of it. The sticker on the side of the scope is a laser warning sticker.

I'm disappointed the knob only goes to 10, also.

Look at that higher res image again. It totally goes to 11.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Dang you're right. My work monitor wasn't good enough to make it show up, it just looked like a smudge.

Criticism retracted.

nibXTE7.png
    What's more likely is that it would sit on a Judge's desk for a month under a pile of other paperwork until he got around to signing it. There's no real added value that, for example, a state waiting period of a few business days wouldn't accomplish. It's only a step which makes legal sales more onerous for the sake of it.

Absolutely. It's a very transparent effort to make legally obtaining a handgun a longer process while adding more paperwork and a few more dollars to the cost.

Erlkönig wrote: »

Huh...whattaya know: I inadvertently chose the 'fixed' version of the P320 (according to that Omaha Outdoors article detailing the drop issues they found) without knowing there was even a possible safety issue with the gun.

I'm more than a little suspicious of a handgun that passed the undescribeably rigorous Army tests suddenly developing a drop safety problem found by one guy. But if it gets me a free trigger "upgrade" by Sig Sauer, I'm in favor of it !