As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I was at a dinner party tonight and one of the guests just bought a lot of Harper's Ferry flintlock pistols ranging from model 1807-1811 and I might get to help fix them up!

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So I'm sure that even though this is a firearm thread, some of you all have a professional interest in body armor. I myself have just purchased my first concealable soft armor package from Spartan Armor Systems because they are running a 15% off sale and that makes the carrier with level IIIA soft panels front and rear $211.65 with free shipping. :hydra:

Link is here: Spartan Armor Systems

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    My buddy has a plate carrier with level 3 but I've just got a blackhawk tactical vest with the crossdraw holster (which now has to house a 45colt instead of a 9mm) and mag pouches, etc.

That's a good deal though for sure.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    The .45-70 is the absolute best way to shoot money out of a barrel, short of a .50 BMG

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Isn't that cartridge supposed to be easy to reload?

• Options
    It is!

But reloading set ups are also beyond my pocket book right now

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It is!

But reloading set ups are also beyond my pocket book right now

Reloading is like having a boat. You just need a friend who has the setup and is looking for an excuse to use it. I had a buddy who reloaded my 44s for a bit, and he was fine doing it for materials, a 6 pack and some bullshitting while the work was going on.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    The .45-70 is the absolute best way to shoot money out of a barrel, short of a .50 BMG

Nah, on the one hand,sure decent 45-70 is 3-4x per round vs 223, but I can go through a box of 100 223 rounds in a session, wheras I shoot two full 6 round loads of 4570 and I am ready to take a nap.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    My weekend home I stopped by a smaller gun store I've never been to before because they had a lot of good reviews and I was curious what they'd give me for my Sig P320 Carry. The owner and his wife run the place and where very nice. (Also very Polish and proud of it. Had flags hanging around and everything.) The place was small, but he had a pretty impressive selection of everything. Handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. (He had an honest-to-god Barrett .50 rifle on the wall that I forgot to ask the price of. Not that I'd have bought it, I'm just curious what one of those monsters runs)

After some chatting I showed him my Sig plus extra magazines and told him I was interested in maybe trading towards a Glock 19. He made me an offer that was honestly better than I was expecting and had just gotten 3 brand new Gen 5 Glock's in stock. The results were ... predictable.

rrv8xw.jpg

Won't get to actually shoot it until next weekend but boy does it fit the hand well.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    I bought an RMR and I don't know why, didn't really need it. But the price was so right (261 shipped from cabelas for the 3.25 MOA with two free UTG mounts). Now maybe I need to finally order that Canik TP9Sfx

• Options
    My understanding is that RMRs are incredibly awesome to shoot with, so it sounds like you got in at the right price for it

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hey Gun thread, I've never posted in here before but my step brother just showed me that he has my dad's old single shot shotgun, it seems like a pretty nice one.

He was talking about trying it out together sometime, sounds neat to me.

The only firearms I've gotten to try where muzzle loaders, the rifle of which seemed impossible to aim since it didn't seem to have sights.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hey Gun thread, I've never posted in here before but my step brother just showed me that he has my dad's old single shot shotgun, it seems like a pretty nice one.

The only firearms I've gotten to try where muzzle loaders, the rifle of which seemed impossible to aim since it didn't seem to have sights.

Accurate aiming is a fairly recent development for firearms really.

But what is the shotgun? Got pictures or a manufacturer mark or a serial number?

Identifying things is like, my favorite pastime

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Elldren wrote: »

But what is the shotgun? Got pictures or a manufacturer mark or a serial number?

I'll see about getting a picture eventually but it had two last names marked at the manufacturer I think. Not sure which ones looking it up myself and I can't remember off the top of my head at the moment.

It has a nice heft to it too. I've never actually held shotgun before.

It also seems to be showing some age. It isn't rusted or anything but it doesn't look like new steel. The furniture is nice though.

Looking it up I think it is an h&r which it occurs to me it might actually be a handi rifle and not a shotgun? It looks like it from the pictures I'm seeing online.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    Harrington and Richardson?

• Options

I'll see about getting a picture eventually but it had two last names marked at the manufacturer I think. Not sure which ones looking it up myself and I can't remember off the top of my head at the moment.

It also seems to be showing some age. It isn't rusted or anything but it doesn't look like new steel. The furniture is nice though.

Looking it up I think it is an h&r which it occurs to me it might actually be a handi rifle and not a shotgun? It looks like it from the pictures I'm seeing online.

One of the simplest ways to tell if a weapon is a rifle or a shotgun is to check the sights.

A shotgun will have no rear sight and a front bead

A rifle will either have front and rear sights or no sights at all and mounts for optics

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

One of the simplest ways to tell if a weapon is a rifle or a shotgun is to check the sights.

A shotgun will have no rear sight and a front bead

A rifle will either have front and rear sights or no sights at all and mounts for optics

May not be helpful in this case as H&R also produces shotgun/rifles with a single bead front or rail rear sight structure.

Edit: it's probably a pardner single shot or a handirifle in 45-70 or .500 s&w

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Just bought a CAI PW87 for $272 shipped. Couldn't pass up the deal.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Nice. I've been looking at a lever action or manual bolt for my next gun. I'm still thinking about going with a Ruger American in .30-06 but I'd also like to get a lever action in .30-30, .45-70, or a pistol cartridge. I really like shotguns of all types so a 12g lever action isn't outside of consideration either. I'd love to see what you think about it after shooting it.

• Options
    I love my .45-70, wouldn't mind having a .44 or a .357 to go with it.

• Options
    44 and 357 are great cartidges for lever action. Basically within 100 yards .357 has about the same energy as a .223 and 44 as a 762×39 or 30-30, but being larger, slower bullets they fall off in energy faster so are probably unsuited for ranges greater than 150 yards or so... The upside is that being shorter cases you can often hold fairly large amounts of ammo compared to a 30-30 or 45-70, up to 10-12 rounds in some guns depending on barrel length which makes it a quite nice general purpose trail gun.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I have the slowly growing fear that by the end of this thread we will all be doing Cowboy 3-gun events.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    I have the slowly growing fear that by the end of this thread we will all be doing Cowboy 3-gun events.

I'd rather do WWI Trench 3 gun: 1911, Winchester 1897, and choice of period appropriate manual bolt service rifle. The course is a trench filled with mud and targets while arty simulators go off up top.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I love all cosplay related shooting stuff.

• Options
    Made it to the range today to break in my new Glock 19 G5. Didn't get to shoot as much as I wanted because I was surprised by an email from the range. A Defensive Pistol class that I'd tried to take a couple months ago but missed due to not getting home in time was being held again this weekend, so I went ahead and signed up. I'd love to use my new 19 but the class requires a belt holster and a magazine carrier and while I've ordered a set for my 19 I won't get it for another couple weeks.

Anyway, I was able to put 200 rounds through the new 19, and I really dug it. I've never really used a Glock before so I can't compare it to the older ones but I did like it a lot. Felt a lot more comfortable than my Shield, and to no one's surprise it worked flawlessly no matter what I did. I even spent my last 45 rounds doing 3 straight mag dumps just to see what it felt like and it was perfect. The slide got surprisingly hot, but still functioned just fine.

33lgz08.jpg

The only scary part was that while it felt fine, I could have used something bigger. And the range did have a great deal on a Gen 4 Glock 17 in FDE...

I keep telling myself I really don't need it. We'll see if it works.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, I'm a little out of my depth here and am hoping you fine folks can help me navigate these expensive waters:

The short version is that I'm shopping for a bipod for my .308 rifle. Preferably something that would be used while prone and attaches via pic-rail (or would a pic-rail to Harris swivel mount be a better option?). Right now, I'm eyeballing an Accu-Tac SR-5...but I'm open to any suggestion (provided it's the same or below the price of the Accu-Tac).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I don't know shit about bipods

Wish I could help, but it's something I've never needed or got into

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    $240 for a bipod is... nuts honestly. Especially a first bipod. Unless you're going into competitive long distance shooting or something. I have a Harris S-BRM, got it for about $90 off Amazon. The rail adapter is about $9. If you have the $240 to spend by all means, there's nothing bad about the Accu-Tac. It's just not necessary to spend that much and get a quality product.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Made it to the range today to break in my new Glock 19 G5. Didn't get to shoot as much as I wanted because I was surprised by an email from the range. A Defensive Pistol class that I'd tried to take a couple months ago but missed due to not getting home in time was being held again this weekend, so I went ahead and signed up. I'd love to use my new 19 but the class requires a belt holster and a magazine carrier and while I've ordered a set for my 19 I won't get it for another couple weeks.

Anyway, I was able to put 200 rounds through the new 19, and I really dug it. I've never really used a Glock before so I can't compare it to the older ones but I did like it a lot. Felt a lot more comfortable than my Shield, and to no one's surprise it worked flawlessly no matter what I did. I even spent my last 45 rounds doing 3 straight mag dumps just to see what it felt like and it was perfect. The slide got surprisingly hot, but still functioned just fine.

33lgz08.jpg

The only scary part was that while it felt fine, I could have used something bigger. And the range did have a great deal on a Gen 4 Glock 17 in FDE...

I would love to find a gen 4 or 5 G20 to at least try and feel, I love the gen 3 I have but the grip does feel a bit like you are holding a boat paddle.

• Options
    $240 for a bipod is... nuts honestly. Especially a first bipod. Unless you're going into competitive long distance shooting or something. I have a Harris S-BRM, got it for about $90 off Amazon. The rail adapter is about $9. If you have the $240 to spend by all means, there's nothing bad about the Accu-Tac. It's just not necessary to spend that much and get a quality product.

See, I was thinking of picking up a pic-to-stud adapter and going with one of those 6-9" Harris bipods...but I wasn't sure if there were any drawbacks to using an adapter versus built-for the attachment. If there are no drawbacks, I'll just pick up one of those sling stud adapters and some kind of Harris (although, it seems some of the adapters can go as high as $60...hmm, not sure if indicative of quality, compactness, or what).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    The only difference is how quick you can attach the bipod really, since the stud attachment is a clamp and screw while plain rail attachments tend to be some kind of QD lever.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    The only difference is how quick you can attach the bipod really, since the stud attachment is a clamp and screw while plain rail attachments tend to be some kind of QD lever.

Looks like one of the higher priced adapters has a QD lever...so that could be a best-of-both-worlds kind of thing (especially since the price is still going to be lower than one of the QD Accu-tacs).

• Options

33lgz08.jpg

I would love to find a gen 4 or 5 G20 to at least try and feel, I love the gen 3 I have but the grip does feel a bit like you are holding a boat paddle.

I'm still in a 9mm phase, but eventually I want to try a G21, just so I know what a .45 feels like.

• Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    I just bought a used PSA KS-47 off of gunbroker for a pretty ok price. Comes with a primary arms 4x prismatic as well. Is it an AK? Is it an AR? Why not both. I really wanted a CMMG mutant but mannn that price tag. But still though....they have a 13" with a welded brake that is calling my name so damned hard.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    While lamenting the total ban on NFA firearms in Illinois I decided to look up the actual ordinance and came upon this amending the no-SBR law:
    (7) A person possessing a rifle with a barrel or
    barrels less than 16 inches in length if: (A) the person
    has been issued a Curios and Relics license from the U.S.
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; or (B)
    the person is an active member of a bona fide, nationally
    recognized military re-enacting group and the modification
    is required and necessary to accurately portray the weapon
    for historical re-enactment purposes; the re-enactor is in
    possession of a valid and current re-enacting group
    membership credential; and the overall length of the weapon
    as modified is not less than 26 inches.

The law was changed in 2013 due to a push by military reenactors wanting to be able to own period-appropriate guns, some of which are by default SBRs. Apparently since a lot (most if not all at this point) of them are C&R guns already, they tossed in the provision for 03 FFL holders to be able to posses them also. BUT... as with most laws the devil is in the details. Right before (B) there's that little "or", delineating subsection A from subsection B. Subsection A says it's fine to own ANY SBR if you hold an 03 FFL. Subsection B says it's only allowable to own an SBR with a length no less than 26 inches as a permitted reenactor. That little 'or' removed the 26 inch length requirement from 03 FFL holders.

So for $30, some forms, and a 6-8 month wait (as long as you don't live in Cook county of course) and your ATF tax stamp you can be the proud owner of a completely legal SBR in the state of Illinois. Even better, in 2016 they amended the CLEO sign-off provision, to one of simply having to send a letter of notification, the CLEO has no say in whether you can or can't buy an SBR as an 03 FFL holder any more.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    So about that G17 I really don't need...

ao2gpj.jpg

Also grabbed a light for it, a Streamlight TRL-1 HL, and holy hell it's bright. After the dirt simple installation I'm liking the look of it.

2r551qa.jpg

Still waiting for the holster, but it remains to be seen if I'm gonna try and carry it. But at least now I have no good excuse to buy anymore handguns, as I've got all my bases covered.

Really.

I mean it this time.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Looks like one of the higher priced adapters has a QD lever...so that could be a best-of-both-worlds kind of thing (especially since the price is still going to be lower than one of the QD Accu-tacs).

(quoting myself...how gauche)

After installing the pic-rail to swivel-stud adapter and getting the bipod mounted, it seems the pic-rail release is clamped on and immovable while the bipod is attached. So much for having a QD function via adapter...oh well. At least I made a last-minute change in what I ordered and that actually seems to have worked out in my favor: initially, I was thinking a 6-9" bipod would be sufficient...but after checking things out with my handy tape-measure, I opted to go one size larger and ordered a 9-13" Harris swiveled ultra-light...and it definitely feels like it's a perfect fit. The only hitch was getting the (aftermarket) swivel tension ratchet installed. Only after having bits falling off of the bipod (and, eventual, full disassembly of the actual swivel-y bits) did I figure it out and get everything squared away.

Photos will be forthcoming once the new muzzle brake shows up and I get that thingy installed (preferably without any bits falling off and/or breaking).

• Options
    Apologies for the double-posting, but I've run into a bit of a problem with my suppressor mount/muzzle brake: turns out the threads on the muzzle attachment isn't deep enough to match up with the threads on my barrel. Like, it's not even close (nearly a centimeter gap between base of threads and base of muzzle brake). After e-mailing their support account, the company I bought the muzzle brake from is saying that the only two solutions are either 1) cut the end of the barrel, or 2) buy additional shims to fill in the gap. Now, I'm hesitant to take a hacksaw to my chromed barrel (even if it's just the last centimeter of the threads)...so my question is exactly how ghetto is having a full centimeter of shims and will that impact the overall performance of the muzzle brake and/or any potential future suppressor?

The third alternative is to return the suppressor mount/muzzle brake and buy a three-port muzzle brake direct from the rifle's manufacturer...but the rifle manufacturer's muzzle brake doesn't double as a suppressor QD attachment point, which makes it quite a bit less desirable.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    What's the difference between G4 and G5?

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    What's the difference between G4 and G5?

Approximately 1.