As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    The ATF has various guides on how to do it. It is surprisingly easy to remake a gun that is improperly destroyed. An AR lower must be cut in three separate specific places in order to be counted as destroyed.
    colt-ar15-m16-1519244648.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=768:*
    And it is preferred (required?) that it is done with a blowtorch. Simply cutting it with a blade leaves it easy to weld back together, but the blowtorch displaces material that makes it more difficult.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Alternately, just turning it over to the local police department for destruction also works and keeps anyone from accidentally injuring themselves or breaking the law.

It does lose the virtue signaling aspect of filming the destruction of a scary black rifle though...

Not that I am saying anyone here is going to do that!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I'll give you $5 for it OP

In other news I went shooting today for the first time since November 4th, it was sunny without a cloud in the sky fuuuuuuck

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Nice. I plan on going to the range while I'm home at least once. I'll finally be able to test out the damn rifle I bought and was supposed to take to the range before I left in January.

• Options
    A heads up, IMI 5.56 brass case is on sale for $.24 a round on Midway. I might order a case.

• Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    [Paragon] wrote: »
    Convince me I don't need to buy a Cajun Gun Works CZ SP01 with some of my tax return. Because I have a bad bad want and poor self control.

Um, stock CZs are already pretty great anyway so fiddling with those is often superfluous unless you have something really specific in mind?

This is one of the forum threads that's like an opium den full of opium users talking about how much they like opium and recommending ways to use opium so we may not be much help here.

I added CGW parts to my other CZs, this time I figure I'll cut out the middle man and just have them do it for me. Cause man, those triggers. MMMMMhmmmm

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    What's the best way to make a gun completely unusable forever?

Plasma cutter. Through the receiver, through the barrel, through the bolt. It's how they officially demil guns.

Barring that, a power saw with a metal cutting blade, cut the same places. Barring that, an angle grinder with good face/arm/body protection. Barring that, a sledgehammer and a hard surface.

Keep in mind that there are specific methods that the BATFE considers lawful destruction of a firearm. If you don't use those methods you are taking a chance of committing a felony by modifying a firearm illegally. For example cutting through the barrel and hand guard of a rifle for a social media post, with I imagine the intentions of buying a new barrel, gas tube, and hand guard, until it's pointed out that you've illegally created an NFA item.

Youtube has been cringy lately with those videos of people turning their rifles and shotguns into SBRs and Sawed Offs. Its one of the few times I've yelled at my monitor, "No! What are you doing!?"

As for my LWRC I ordered. Still waiting for the order to process. I think I'll need to pay a visit to the local store this weekend and see what the hold up is. I'm hoping that its not taking so long because I decided to ship it to the nearby military base where I can pick it up tax free. (and in this case, save $200+)

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    What's the best way to make a gun completely unusable forever?

Plasma cutter. Through the receiver, through the barrel, through the bolt. It's how they officially demil guns.

Barring that, a power saw with a metal cutting blade, cut the same places. Barring that, an angle grinder with good face/arm/body protection. Barring that, a sledgehammer and a hard surface.

Keep in mind that there are specific methods that the BATFE considers lawful destruction of a firearm. If you don't use those methods you are taking a chance of committing a felony by modifying a firearm illegally. For example cutting through the barrel and hand guard of a rifle for a social media post, with I imagine the intentions of buying a new barrel, gas tube, and hand guard, until it's pointed out that you've illegally created an NFA item.

Youtube has been cringy lately with those videos of people turning their rifles and shotguns into SBRs and Sawed Offs. Its one of the few times I've yelled at my monitor, "No! What are you doing!?"

As for my LWRC I ordered. Still waiting for the order to process. I think I'll need to pay a visit to the local store this weekend and see what the hold up is. I'm hoping that its not taking so long because I decided to ship it to the nearby military base where I can pick it up tax free. (and in this case, save $200+)

I can't help but assume it was virtue signalling with the intent to just purchase replacement parts. None of the ones I saw actually destroyed the firearms until it was pointed out that they had committed a felony.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any experience with buying NFA items? I’m getting a bigger tax refund than expected and one of the things I’m considering splurging on is an SBR’d AR with a suppressor. But Google hasn’t been that helpful about how you go about the process.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, I know this is a bit of a long-shot...but does anybody here have any experience clearing a malfunctioning RFB? Now, when I say "malfunctioning," I mean that both the bolt and gas piston are removed, chamber clear, magazine out, but the charging handle is locked back and refuses to budge. My supervisor (an avid hunter, AR-15 enthusiast, and overall gun-guy) suggested slamming a magazine into it, so I took one of my empties, put 2 of my .308 SnapCaps in it, and slammed it in there...

...so now I have an RFB that is jammed open and a magazine that can't be removed.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Does anyone have any experience with buying NFA items? I’m getting a bigger tax refund than expected and one of the things I’m considering splurging on is an SBR’d AR with a suppressor. But Google hasn’t been that helpful about how you go about the process.

First, you buy the suppressor or SBR from the seller, and give them all the info for whichever FFL you'll be using to do the transfer.

You need two fingerprint cards, they're form FD-258, you have to order them from the ATF here - https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

Amazon sells them too but it seems to be a little hit or miss if you get the right ones or knockoffs.

You take those to any local police station and they'll do the fingerprinting for you.

Then, you fill out a Form 4, there's two copies, you'll need two passport photos too, one for each copy. You can get the passport photos and go to your FFL, they'll likely have copies of the Form 4, or you can download it here - https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-4-application-tax-paid-transfer-and-registration-firearm-atf-form-53204/download

You write a check for $200 and the FFL packs it all up and sends it off to the ATF and then you wait anywhere from 6-18 months depending on when the ATF feels like checking their mail.

You have to do this for each NFA item, so you'll need 4 fingerprint cards and two sets of Form 4's total. You'll also need two $200 checks, one for each item.

The other thing to think about is if you buy both of these as a single person, you are the only person who can possess them. If you die, they either have to be transferred the same way to someone else or they have to be turned over to the ATF since they can't be willed or gifted. If you purchase them and register them to a gun trust, you can add other "responsible persons" who will also legally be able to keep and use them, might be worth looking into.

:edit: Forgot to mention, if you're just converting an existing rifle into an SBR, you do all that BEFORE you buy the short barrel. Wait for the approval, then you can buy the barrel. Because the barrel itself isn't an NFA item, a store can and will ship it to you, and because the ATF loves convoluted regulations, if you own a complete receiver capable of accepting the barrel you've now broken the law, even if you don't assemble it thanks to "constructive intent".

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Also I hate you because suppressors are illegal in Illinois and dang one would look awesome on the ACR.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018

First, you buy the suppressor or SBR from the seller, and give them all the info for whichever FFL you'll be using to do the transfer.

You need two fingerprint cards, they're form FD-258, you have to order them from the ATF here - https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

Amazon sells them too but it seems to be a little hit or miss if you get the right ones or knockoffs.

You take those to any local police station and they'll do the fingerprinting for you.

Then, you fill out a Form 4, there's two copies, you'll need two passport photos too, one for each copy. You can get the passport photos and go to your FFL, they'll likely have copies of the Form 4, or you can download it here - https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-4-application-tax-paid-transfer-and-registration-firearm-atf-form-53204/download

You write a check for $200 and the FFL packs it all up and sends it off to the ATF and then you wait anywhere from 6-18 months depending on when the ATF feels like checking their mail.

You have to do this for each NFA item, so you'll need 4 fingerprint cards and two sets of Form 4's total. You'll also need two $200 checks, one for each item.

The other thing to think about is if you buy both of these as a single person, you are the only person who can possess them. If you die, they either have to be transferred the same way to someone else or they have to be turned over to the ATF since they can't be willed or gifted. If you purchase them and register them to a gun trust, you can add other "responsible persons" who will also legally be able to keep and use them, might be worth looking into.

:edit: Forgot to mention, if you're just converting an existing rifle into an SBR, you do all that BEFORE you buy the short barrel. Wait for the approval, then you can buy the barrel. Because the barrel itself isn't an NFA item, a store can and will ship it to you, and because the ATF loves convoluted regulations, if you own a complete receiver capable of accepting the barrel you've now broken the law, even if you don't assemble it thanks to "constructive intent".

Thanks. That sounds ... well, kind of exhausting. You mentioned gun trusts, and weirdly that sounds like a more streamlined version of buying the items. There's a few places online that will set it up for you like Silencer Shop and Guntrustguru, so I may go that route.

The current plan once my return gets here in a week or two is to go ahead and buy a suppressor (still looking at which one I want) and a lower receiver, and then send in the paperwork and checks for the suppressor and the SBR, then whenever the ATF approves me I'll get the upper receiver. (I'm thinking BCM. I hear a lot of good things about them and they've got a ton of 11" uppers that look sweet.)

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I started making a black walnut stock for my home defense shotgun because I got tired of looking at the synthetic stock.

Once it's done I need to make a new foregrip.

It's based on a remington 870 so if I manage not to hose it up and anyone here likes the way it looks I'm photo recording the process.

Thankfully there's a gunsmith at the cabin who, while he can be annoying and tell you exactly what you're doing wrong....always, can also tell you what you're doing wrong before you waste a weekend working on something.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

That's really not much work at all, I find that a little surprising. I see people in Youtube videos talking about how ridiculous it is to have to pay so much money and fill out forms for the ATF, and a visit to the police station and $200 is how I pay speeding fines... Strangely enough, I thought it was Congress who wrote and passed national laws relating to firearms, but you say the ATF is responsible for that process? How does that work?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

That's really not much work at all, I find that a little surprising. I see people in Youtube videos talking about how ridiculous it is to have to pay so much money and fill out forms for the ATF, and a visit to the police station and $200 is how I pay speeding fines... Strangely enough, I thought it was Congress who wrote and passed national laws relating to firearms, but you say the ATF is responsible for that process? How does that work?

Congress writes laws, the executive writes regulation (<not legislation) implementing those laws. Depending on exactly how the law is written this can be anything from "Congress basically dictates what the regulation will be in the law" to "Congress dislikes (thing) go regulate it."

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    The Legislature has no enforcement capacity, the Executive branch does. The BATFE also has pretty wide latitude to interpret legislation through policy letters. I'm also unsure how exactly that is interpreted as "not much work at all" when it's a process that can take up to a year and a half and involves either a CLEO signature (and as we've seen in some states, CLEO approval on anything is steeped in politics) or the establishment of a legal trust.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    The Legislature has no enforcement capacity, the Executive branch does. The BATFE also has pretty wide latitude to interpret legislation through policy letters. I'm also unsure how exactly that is interpreted as "not much work at all" when it's a process that can take up to a year and a half and involves either a CLEO signature (and as we've seen in some states, CLEO approval on anything is steeped in politics) or the establishment of a legal trust.

Hey at least they are not invoking the rite of Gom Jabbar!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Any over under

That $200 is from 1934

So it was extremely prohibitive then.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Heads up, House Bill being proposed to enact a 50% tax on all ammunition sales, increase in excise tax on firearms sales, increase on NFA tax stamp cost including rolling increases.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    "Cobray, your shotgun has just been declared a destructive device and is for all purposes unsalable, what are you going to do?"

"WE'RE GOING TO DISNredesign it as a 12 shot pistol chambered in 45-70 gov't."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TygqLGNnXJE

Useful if you're ever a victim of a home invasion by buffalo. I'm not sure a dumber gun exists.

I would still rather have a marlin guide gun even if my house was invaded by buffalo.

• Options
    Speaking of dumb guns that I now inexplicably want, FightLite makes an AR pistol lower with a Mossberg Shockwave-type grip, that can accept a 50 beowulf 11 inch pistol upper. Turning it into a 50 cal Space Pirate gun. Seriously it looks almost exactly like a futuristic flintlock.

pWXzEQO.jpg?1

That's the 556 version, so add about 3 inches of barrel for the smallest 50 beowulf upper. You could even get a 5 round AR magazine, modify the front lip to fit the 50 cartridge, and have a 2 shot pistol instead of having a big magazine hanging off it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Any over under

That $200 is from 1934

Are you suggesting it ought to be increased to the current equivalent? Great idea!

I'd really like to get an over/under 12 gauge for shooting sporting clays, but I just don't have anything like the disposable income to take up a new hobby. :'(

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    As a counterpoint for both those 45-70/.50beowulf guns:

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/sites/default/files/styles/mar_catalog_product/public/70456_1895GBL_Right.png?itok=-xXuitXH

6+1 shots, easily modifiable for virtually any optic you would want to put on, can fire without killing your hand, will probably kill velociraptors.

• Options
    Any over under

That $200 is from 1934

Are you suggesting it ought to be increased to the current equivalent? Great idea!

I'd really like to get an over/under 12 gauge for shooting sporting clays, but I just don't have anything like the disposable income to take up a new hobby. :'(

Quite the contrary, I think it shouldn’t even have a fee.

But you and I know both know we don’t see eye to eye on these things and since I really respect the hell outta you and this ain’t the thread for it, we’ll leave it at that, you kangaroo bastard

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Speaking of dumb guns that I now inexplicably want, FightLite makes an AR pistol lower with a Mossberg Shockwave-type grip, that can accept a 50 beowulf 11 inch pistol upper. Turning it into a 50 cal Space Pirate gun. Seriously it looks almost exactly like a futuristic flintlock.

pWXzEQO.jpg?1

That's the 556 version, so add about 3 inches of barrel for the smallest 50 beowulf upper. You could even get a 5 round AR magazine, modify the front lip to fit the 50 cartridge, and have a 2 shot pistol instead of having a big magazine hanging off it.

And to think, I used to be of the opinion that non-pistolgrip ARs would look dumb ...

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

pWXzEQO.jpg?1

I think this is the first AR-15 pistol I've liked the look of. The buffer tube sticking out the rear of most of them just always looked off to me.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Step one of my eventual SBR completed. Since this is my second AR, I decided to take a step and build the lower myself. I grabbed a Spike's Tactical stripped lower from a local shop (Mainly because it was the only one that had a skeleton viking on it), and now I'm just sourcing all the parts I'll need. Probably just grab a parts kit from BCM but I'm still deciding.

Next weekend I take the second step and set up my NFA trust to start all the paperwork.

• Options
    I finally got this shit with that company straightened out. The manager I was dealing with for months ended up being fired and not telling the owner how many customers had messed up orders. He's also being investigated by the BATFE for I guess something potentially illegal he did that involved what happened to my order. Unfortunately I didn't get to go to the range while I was home for Spring Break.

• Options
    Son of a bitch. Reddit just banned r/gundeals. Along with a ton of other subreddits. r/scotchswap is gone, r/cigarmarket, r/beertrade.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Son of a bitch. Reddit just banned r/gundeals. Along with a ton of other subreddits. r/scotchswap is gone, r/cigarmarket, r/beertrade.

That sucks, I checked there a lot. Got a few good deals from there.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    AR15 and Leatherwall still have pretty good classified sections and deal sections.

And there's always armslist if you don't mind risking it.

I will miss gundeals though.

Why couldn't they just ban weekendgunnit

• Options
    Why ban any of those subs (that’s including wg)

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I'd guess liability/effort.

Facebook banned gun sales a year or so ago, I think the reason given at the time was that different laws in different countries were complicated and that it was simpler to get rid of all sales rather than open facebook up to legal trouble.

Reddit probably has a similar issue

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I'd guess liability/effort.

Facebook banned gun sales a year or so ago, I think the reason given at the time was that different laws in different countries were complicated and that it was simpler to get rid of all sales rather than open facebook up to legal trouble.

Reddit probably has a similar issue

The reasoning seems to be sales of "prohibited" items, but none of those (firearms, tobacco, alcohol) are prohibited in the US and as far as I'm aware Reddit would not be liable for any illicit use of their platform.

• Options
    Gundeals was aggregated links to good deals on firearms and accessories.

Gunsforsale was like armslist but on reddit.

I have no doubt it’s just bullshit based on current event outcry

It’s more annoying because now I’m gonna have to work to find savings on my pistol build

• Options

I specifically stated weekend gunnit because it's the Mos Eisley Cantina of gun subreddits. : )

• Options

I specifically stated weekend gunnit because it's the Mos Eisley Cantina of gun subreddits. : )

You’re not making a strong case for your argument here

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I'm not posting here to judge but I have decided I no longer want to have a gun in my house. I have a Walther pistol that I haven't fired in years but I don't want to sell it because I don't want anyone else to have it either. What is the best legal way to go about having it destroyed? As I understand it there are laws against destroying serial numbers and stuff.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Ask your local police. They're usually very happy to have guns handed in.

Don't just walk into the station with a gun. Give them a call first.

It's the best way to dispose of a gun.