As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm impressed with the quality of the Quietbore hardware. It's still just a solvent trap, so there isn't a bore. The stamp should be in early next month and I can drill it out. It exactly matches the diameter of the 22/45 Lite, for a pretty nice aesthetic:

k2ruzi7pufze.jpg

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Speaking of Rugers...I think I'm going to be adding a fifth pistol to my little collection: I just got put on a waiting list for one of the new Ruger-57s. I've always wanted an FN Five-SeveN, but could never justify the $1k+ pricetag (also, I've always kinda hated the front post sight on the Five-SeveN). But $700 for a 5.7 chambered pistol that's already drilled and tapped for an RDS mounting plate? Sure, why not.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Speaking of Rugers...I think I'm going to be adding a fifth pistol to my little collection: I just got put on a waiting list for one of the new Ruger-57s. I've always wanted an FN Five-SeveN, but could never justify the $1k+ pricetag (also, I've always kinda hated the front post sight on the Five-SeveN). But $700 for a 5.7 chambered pistol that's already drilled and tapped for an RDS mounting plate? Sure, why not.

they're going to sell a million of those, good for them

Taurus has been on a kick too lately, the TX22 does everything that new glock does for half the price and the G2C is good to go, and now they're making a carry-sized G3

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I love my manual-safety P01, that lil fucker is the next best thing to an actual 9mm 1911

That said, god I simply do not have the budget or space to collect these lil bastards, as tempting as it is

Having lots of guns is cool. Having a couple of guns that you can run well is more cool.

This pretty much, training/practice and ammo are better investments on any budget to be honest. Find a gun that fits your hand like a glove and you can run like a top and you're doing better than most. The stuff just for fun can come later.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I am going to wait and see what becomes of it, but the thought has crossed my mind to grab one.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/31855/special-operators-are-eying-this-machine-gun-to-solve-a-number-of-problems

So the Next Gen Weapon Trials are going on right now for the Army and USMC, and SOCOM has some bidding open

SIG won a SOCOM bid for a .338 Norma Mag machine gun for combat trials. Somehow, they got the weight down to 20 pounds - less than a M249 firing 5.56mm.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    My re-appreciation of .22 has made me want to get a .22 plinker that I can suppress. I already have a Remington 597 that's kind of a turd, but the barrel isn't threaded. My goal this year is to run a deficit in overall firearm count.

I should sell the 597 and try to get a threaded bolt action .22, which is what I actually want. It has become a major pain in the rear to sell semi-autos in my state, even .22lr, which makes me inclined to just get the 597 threaded (if it's even possible) and call it a day. But spending $150 in gunsmithing on a rifle that cost $210, including the scope... ugh.

• Options
    Just get a new .22lr bolt gun and call it a day. Problem solved! Now you have two guns where before you had one.

• Options
    Just get a new .22lr bolt gun and call it a day. Problem solved! Now you have two guns where before you had one.

I'd like to! My new year's resolution was to run a deficit on gun count. Basically if I can find someone to take this 597 off my hands for $100 it'd be ideal. There's a statewide requirement to go through a FFL for private transfers and a 10 day wait for semi-autos, which makes it a pain to sell, since you have to meet up twice.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Doc wrote: »

I'd like to! My new year's resolution was to run a deficit on gun count. Basically if I can find someone to take this 597 off my hands for $100 it'd be ideal. There's a statewide requirement to go through a FFL for private transfers and a 10 day wait for semi-autos, which makes it a pain to sell, since you have to meet up twice.

Do gunshops not offer the option to hold it for you in the meantime?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

Do gunshops not offer the option to hold it for you in the meantime?

Presumably some will, but I think if they take possession, it's on their FFL books and becomes a thing for them. The ones I've gone to prefer the hassle be on your end, and for $25 I don't really expect otherwise. Some places charge $50 (!!!) for it, but I've just avoided them all together.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    My re-appreciation of .22 has made me want to get a .22 plinker that I can suppress. I already have a Remington 597 that's kind of a turd, but the barrel isn't threaded.

What's it do that's all turdy?

• Options
    My re-appreciation of .22 has made me want to get a .22 plinker that I can suppress. I already have a Remington 597 that's kind of a turd, but the barrel isn't threaded.

What's it do that's all turdy?

Nothing too terribly specific. It's just $200 (including scope), and you get what you paid for. It's basically a step down from the 10/22 across the board. Forget about the idea of any aftermarket parts.

Also you can just pluck the charging handle right off the side of the gun with just two fingers. Thankfully it requires a lateral force not encountered when it reciprocates. I guess that's specific.

• Options

This doesn’t compute at all!

Why would you do that to yourself?

Also, anybody got any hands on experience with the Sig X5 grip? Looking to maybe pick up a module.

• Options

Also, anybody got any hands on experience with the Sig X5 grip? Looking to maybe pick up a module.

There's too many I don't shoot. My M&P 40, for example, is just taking up space in my safe.

Plus I have enough projects running to keep me busy this year. I recently got the tax stamp for a SBR blackout build, and the stamp for the .22 suppressor build should be here in a couple of weeks and I get to start putting that together.

• Options

There's too many I don't shoot. My M&P 40, for example, is just taking up space in my safe.

Plus I have enough projects running to keep me busy this year. I recently got the tax stamp for a SBR blackout build, and the stamp for the .22 suppressor build should be here in a couple of weeks and I get to start putting that together.

I feel that. Just giving you a hard time.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    CDNN had the PRS2 stock for the ACR on sale for $99. So, that was an immediate buy, since I've never seen it below like, $160. It came today, and someone messed up, because along with the stock in the package there was a single-point sling, a bore snake, a really nice bore flag and a takedown tool. Emailed CDNN and they basically said you're welcome.

My wife also managed to surprise me with a set of the original Magpul Coyote MBUS's, that only ever came on the Windham-produced Coyote ACR, and are basically unobtanium at this point. Now I just need a Coyote pmag and I'm set.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Going to a match at the range on Sunday. Spent half an hour doing dryfire and reload practice.

Basically a grand master at this point.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Rented and shot a 1911 for the first time today - I appreciated how crisp the trigger was but it was still pretty heavy, and the capacity and the weight bothered me. Glad I can say I've checked the box now though.

Rented a M&P Compact 1.0 in .40, and liked that much more. First time shooting .40, didn't notice any percievable recoil over a 9mm, and you're throwing 165 grains only a shade slower than 9mm @ 115grain. I liked it. That M&P has a boat anchor of a trigger though, god, even worse than a Shield somehow. Dry fired a 2.0 and the trigger seemed improved.

Also fired a G17 Gen 4 and did not care for it - Rented a G19 Gen 5 last time and I think the trigger was better on that, although I appreciated the longer grip on the 17.

PPQ might still be the duty-sized 9mm to beat, although I like the G19x and the MP 2.0. They had a VP40 too but I don't want to bother.

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    The match was a lot of fun! I did terrible!

Steel plates at 15-25 yards did me in. A zones only on the cardboard was also difficult, lot of required head shots

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm buying a Hi Point C9 from a friend for dirt cheap later today. I'm not sure if I want to leave it as-is or buy a laser, an extended magazine, and the $100 bill grip and just completely lean into it.

• Options
    Lean into it. Get a Yeet Cannon 9 when they’re available.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Stop letting the internet name things!

Also the irony of buying a grip with multiple $100 bills on it and then attaching it to a gun that cost me less than a single $100 bill would be pretty amazing.

While we were waiting for the FFL the seller and I took turns firing an M16. You can fire full auto at that shooting range, but I went single shot because at $30 a magazine I wanted it to last.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I want to stock up on Hi Points and then cash in on some government buy back deal and triple my investment.

• Options
    You’d be better off stockpiling Jennings and Jimenez’s.

Then again, most of the time those buy backs accept anything, so a slam fire pipe shotgun made with materials from Home Depot or Lowe’s would net you your gift cards that aren’t worth the trouble.

Austin just did a gun return and the pictures looked like a BB gun, some single shot shotguns, a couple over unders, some bolt action rifles, a lever action, and a S&W model 25.

They were very pleased by their outstanding success and when criticized by twitter folk for bragging about destroying grandpa’s crappy hunting rifles, suggested that burglars are stealing these long guns and using them to commit violent crime, which doesn’t line up at all.

There was no compensation awarded for this turn in, so I think the next one I will go hang my shingle across the street with cash.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    The Austin one was what prompted my post. And I agree about the effectiveness.

I saw someone comment that they were only accepting 'functional guns', which made me wonder how exactly they confirm functionality at a buy back event :D

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    It looks like Cerberus Capital has killed the Bushmaster and DPMS brands. Both websites redirect to Remington Outdoors now, and the logos are gone from the family of companies. I'm kicking myself for not buying a barrel replacement for the ACR when Bushmaster had them half off at Christmas now...

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    On the bright side, you’re now the proud owner of a rare firearm with hard to source replacement parts.

$$$

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Stop attacking me and my VZ. 58! :p

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I think I'm landing on getting a Savage MKII-FV SR bolt .22. If I decide I don't like the cheap stock it comes with, I can get a Boyd's At-One. The stock is the main point of complaint from what I've read.

I'm fine with "buy once cry once," but the alternative I was looking at was the CZ 457, and I don't feel like dropping ~$700 on a .22 bolt gun that I won't be using for any sort of competition. $250-450 is a lot more manageable. The difference buys a lot of ammo, especially .22.

Doc on
  • Options
    I’ve seen CZ bolt guns go for ~400 it just depends, been eyeballing a .22WMR or .17HMR. I’d like if Ruger could make a cheaper .17WSM

• Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    The PSA AK-V is making me feel a certain kind of way. I already have a ton of scorpion mags so it would be an easy fit really.....but no. I need to be strong.But...I'm so very weak.

• Options
    Alright, got the tax stamp in my email for the 22lr suppressor. Now I can bore it out. I have some ideas about how to go about it with a drill press.

• Options
    [Paragon] wrote: »
    The PSA AK-V is making me feel a certain kind of way. I already have a ton of scorpion mags so it would be an easy fit really.....but no. I need to be strong.But...I'm so very weak.

I also have a Scorpion. I don't feel any real need for another straight blowback PCC.

• Options
    My Scorpion just makes me want more PCCs not less, especially AK patterned ones.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    My Scorpion just makes me want more PCCs not less, especially AK patterned ones.

After finding out about AR lowers that use MP5 magazines I've thought about getting one of those as my next PCC, my only other one being a Gen 1 Kel-Tec Sub 2000 that takes Glock mags that is extremely handy and fun to shoot.

• Options

Oh for sure I like the concept. It's just that if I were going to go for anything, it'd be a delayed action like an MP5 or CMMG Banshee. Especially since I want to suppress it.

Speaking of, I'm taking my form 1 .22 silencer out later today for the first time. Hope it goes well.

• Options

Oh for sure I like the concept. It's just that if I were going to go for anything, it'd be a delayed action like an MP5 or CMMG Banshee. Especially since I want to suppress it.

Speaking of, I'm taking my form 1 .22 silencer out later today for the first time. Hope it goes well.

I shot a .45 CMMG that was awesome at the range two weeks ago. Highly recommend if it’s in the budget.

• Options
    The first couple of .22 rounds through my suppressor had a serious dragon's breath effect. I was worried it was baffle strikes or something. I'm pretty sure it was stray aluminum shavings burning off.

Otherwise it worked great. Super happy with it.

• Options

I shot a .45 CMMG that was awesome at the range two weeks ago. Highly recommend if it’s in the budget.

It's not exactly out of budget, but buying it off the shelf is a bit excessive vs building with a CMMG bolt and barrel. I was looking at doing a build using one of my 80% lowers, but I'm pretty sure that it requires an AR-45 specific blank.