As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I may have ordered a FM-45 yesterday. Then some Kriss mag extensions. Life is good!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Grandpower finally got ATF approval to import the Stribog SP9 A3, the roller delayed version. The A1 will stay at $699 while the roller delayed version will be $999.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I've been looking at Grand Power pistols. They make really nice things. Glad to see them get recognition.

• Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Hey gunshow peeps, it was my birthday recently and entirely unexpectedly my father gifted me his polish Makarov variant, specifically a P-83 Wanad. Until this I did not own any modern firearms, just a pair of cheapish Hawken capslock muzzleloaders, and thus did not especially feel the need to keep them securely locked up.

So now I'm suddenly in the market for a good home pistol lockup, can anyone offer any advice/suggestions? Not really sure where to start.

• Options
    What is your budget, and are you ever going to expand your gun collection?

If just looking for a single pistol safe, the Hornady rapid seems to be fine.

If you want to lock everything up, one of those sheet metal gun cabinets would be fine, strictly as a deterrent and if secured to floor or wall stud so it can’t walk off.

Safes aren’t really safes unless you’re spending beaucoup bucks, even mine which was $2k is still considered a residential security container, but it’s pretty decent. How long would it hold up to an angle grinder or sawzall? Unknown.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Per the comment above, safes are primarily meant to secure from other people in the house like kids or provide an obstacle to burglars who might not have the forethought to bring a grinder. Even the decent safes can be cut through on the sides pretty quickly if you have the tools.

• Options
    It’s good to have you back, Rand

• Options
    edited March 2020
    In gun related news, I'm looking at picking up a muzzle brake for that Llama 9mm (or buying another 1911 in .45ACP to put it on) and I'm looking hard at Valkyrie Dynamics. I've also been looking for a light solution. What I really want is to grab an Iver Johnson (relatively local company and I like to support local business) and get a Surfire MR07 or 300R because they don't require a rail but they are discontinued. The only widely available one I know about is the Streamlight TLR 6. I like Streamlight, I already have a TLR 1 HL and a TLR 7 but I want to do a 90's LAPD SWAT clone with the tape switch.

I also need to give the Llama a tune up, I think it has a "soft" extractor which I read can be a common problem. IIRC it's not unusual to get one with an extractor that wasn't heat treated correctly so it starts to "soften up" and leads to FTE. I've only had a handful so far but I want to get reliable as possible at least with ball.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I was at the range the other day and when I went through their store, there was a line of people practically out the door, just trying to pick up their ordered/post-waiting-period firearms. Just guessing, but it looked like a lot of them were first time owners. Being in WA, it's almost certainly a covid thing.

Also, I got that Savage MK II that I was thinking about. The silencer on it is just silly; it makes less noise than an air rifle. The stock on it is absolute junk, but I have Boyd's stock on the way now. I'll post photos once I have it together. It's funny how I have a reasonable variety of options, but the .22s are the most fun to shoot. It could have something to do with a brick of 500 rounds being ~$21.

• Options
    I expect many people have thought that perhaps it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Hopefully they continue to exercise their constitutionally protected right after it blows over.

• Options
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    I expect many people have thought that perhaps it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Hopefully they continue to exercise their constitutionally protected right after it blows over.

I'm trying to follow the rules here: It'll be interesting to see what it does to the tone of the next legislative session, after what happened (and other stuff almost happened) last legislative session.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Doc wrote: »

I'm trying to follow the rules here: It'll be interesting to see what it does to the tone of the next legislative session, after what happened (and other stuff almost happened) last legislative session.

A YouTuber I enjoy, The Yankee Marshal, commented on this in a recent video (first time buyers). He happens to live there and had some anecdotes about it.

Also you should probably pick up a couple boxes of the most common ammo you have firearms for. There's a run on it and I imagine part of it is all the first time buyers BTFO of manufacturing capacity.

NSDFRand on
  • Options

A YouTuber I enjoy, The Yankee Marshal, commented on this in a recent video (first time buyers). He happens to live there and had some anecdotes about it.

Also you should probably pick up a couple boxes of the most common ammo you have firearms for. There's a run on it and I imagine part of it is all the first time buyers BTFO of manufacturing capacity.

I've got enough ammo for months, even at my current rate of going to the range once a week, and I put in another online order a couple of days ago.

All the new people seem to be buying up the $19 boxes of 9mm at my LGS. They can have it.

• Options

I've got enough ammo for months, even at my current rate of going to the range once a week, and I put in another online order a couple of days ago.

All the new people seem to be buying up the $19 boxes of 9mm at my LGS. They can have it.

I'm set on defensive ammo and rifle ball ammo. I may pick up an extra box or two of 9x19 ball just to have on hand, and because my 1911 doesn't like HP.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Hell yeah, stock up on ammo so you can shoot the virus!

• Options

Or they are worried about the few people who will come around trying to see what nice expensive things they have if emergency services become overloaded or shutdown. But I just happened to grow up in a low income neighborhood with a relatively higher rate of crime, so maybe Professional Managerial Class people in deed restricted communities will be immune from this and are just delusional and I don't know that perspective.

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    But I just happened to grow up in a low income neighborhood with a relatively higher rate of crime, so maybe Professional Managerial Class people in deed restricted communities will be immune from this and are just delusional and I don't know that perspective.

Hey, guess what?

You're not the only person who grew up in a shithole, and many of the rest of us do not react to a disease outbreak by arming ourselves against our neighbors.

Just FYI, for the next time you want to play "you privileged people don't get it" or whatever.

• Options
    Special K wrote: »
    But I just happened to grow up in a low income neighborhood with a relatively higher rate of crime, so maybe Professional Managerial Class people in deed restricted communities will be immune from this and are just delusional and I don't know that perspective.

Hey, guess what?

You're not the only person who grew up in a shithole, and many of the rest of us do not react to a disease outbreak by arming ourselves against our neighbors.

Just FYI, for the next time you want to play "you privileged people don't get it" or whatever.

Just an FYI before you try to lecture someone else: I don't give a fuck what your opinion is.

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Just an FYI before you try to lecture someone else: I don't give a fuck what your opinion is.

And yet here you are, desperately telling everyone about how little you care about it.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    NSDFRand was warned for this.
    Special K wrote: »

And yet here you are, desperately telling everyone about how little you care about it.

I'm not telling everyone. I'm telling you because you came into the thread unprompted to drop your turd of a thought into it. You can save the snark for someone else.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular

Alternatively, stock up because shooting is a low population past time (read good for social distancing) and we’re experiencing some crazy outages. It’s also election year so it’s gonna be one of those times where prices shoot up again. I picked up some more ammo in all my calibers so I can go shooting for the next 3-6 months without worrying.

Speaking of! The 2-gun club has been going swimmingly! I’m nowhere near the top, but it’s been a blast, doing some more moving stuff less sit at a bench and shoot. There’s everything from dudes in full kit to me in jeans and a t shirt. It got me to pick up a new sling, cause my old ass 3-point was getting in the way.

• Options
    [...] shooting is a low population past time (read good for social distancing)

Especially if you have an AR15 with a brake at the indoor range.

• Options

Coward, get the 7” FAL pistol

• Options

Took a friend shooting at an indoor range a few months back, and there was some dude with a double barrel AR15 with two muzzle brakes.
    Doubled up on ear pro and I think my ears are still ringing from it.

Looked fun but christ what an asshole.

• Options

Or an AK74 clone with the newer brake style muzzle device. Standing next to one while it is shooting is an experience.

• Options
    Oh by the way, I just moved, so I got to witness two guys move my safe, which clocks in at a 1/2 ton.

One of the nuts wouldn’t come off the bolt. 4 foot prybar and two skinny dudes and that safe was a foot off the ground.

Like everything else in life, it’s all about the angle of the dangle

• Options
    Speaking of safes: I am pricing building one into the house my wife and I are in the process of buying. I just need to price out the materials and my best friend can help me with fabrication in his shop. I've been turned off of buying any but the most expensive safes because of how they tend to be constructed. There's probably some bias present but Secureit did a presentation at shot show 2017 on safes and the safe industry and why they are no longer making "gun safes" and one of their bigger points was that most cheaper safes are made with drywall in them which can promote corrosion of whatever you have in it. And I've seen demos of gun safes being broken into and the cheap ones are not looking good.

Right now I am starting with looking at a steel reinforced door with a four way or two way lock and then reinforcing the interior walls of a closet.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I'm lucky in that I live a semi-hermetical life where all I visit family and they never visit me, so I just keep everything in the back of the closet, although I have been keeping an eye one Craiglist for a large safe, just to keep everything organized. There was one really beautiful one, free for pickup, that must've been an inheritance or something and the combination lost, because the back had been peeled open. Re-welding the back would've been no problem, just would've had to figure out how to get the combination. I forget who the company was, but reaching out to them to inquire how to get a lost combination (default, if it hadn't been changed since selling, or instructions how to set it with inside access) got no response, so I let it go.

Took a friend shooting at an indoor range a few months back, and there was some dude with a double barrel AR15 with two muzzle brakes.

I've never even heard of that before - how does it even work? Alternating fire or he was actually firing both barrels at once? I'm picturing essentially two guns taped together side by side because unless it's a single shot, I don't even want to imagine how something like that would feed.

The loudest (and biggest, so far) round I've ever ever personally shot was .454 when I saw the range putting a Cassul revolver in the rental, just to see what it was like. Ar $2 per round, I figured rental fee plus $10 for one cylinder was worth it for saying I tried it.

I wonder if part of it is being a revolver and so open exposure as opposed to a closed firing chamber, but the pressure wave was like a slap to the face each time you pulled the trigger.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Or an AK74 clone with the newer brake style muzzle device. Standing next to one while it is shooting is an experience.

I need to get a new brake on my AKM, it's got the factory slant on it. Priorities, though.

:biggrin: Coworker was like "Don't buy a bike, imagine how many rifles that is!"

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    You're... you're building the frame out of long arms?

:biggrin:

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I'm lucky in that I live a semi-hermetical life where all I visit family and they never visit me, so I just keep everything in the back of the closet, although I have been keeping an eye one Craiglist for a large safe, just to keep everything organized. There was one really beautiful one, free for pickup, that must've been an inheritance or something and the combination lost, because the back had been peeled open. Re-welding the back would've been no problem, just would've had to figure out how to get the combination. I forget who the company was, but reaching out to them to inquire how to get a lost combination (default, if it hadn't been changed since selling, or instructions how to set it with inside access) got no response, so I let it go.

I've never even heard of that before - how does it even work? Alternating fire or he was actually firing both barrels at once? I'm picturing essentially two guns taped together side by side because unless it's a single shot, I don't even want to imagine how something like that would feed.

The loudest (and biggest, so far) round I've ever ever personally shot was .454 when I saw the range putting a Cassul revolver in the rental, just to see what it was like. Ar $2 per round, I figured rental fee plus $10 for one cylinder was worth it for saying I tried it.

I wonder if part of it is being a revolver and so open exposure as opposed to a closed firing chamber, but the pressure wave was like a slap to the face each time you pulled the trigger.

Thinking to myself "huh I wonder how that compares to hot loaded 10mm"

*opens wiki*

Jay-sus christ. Whoooooa. 1000 joules versus 2600.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    It would have bought a nice budget setup and ammo to run it and a trip down to Georgia for a carbine class :biggrin: :bigfrown:

edit: speaking of, I'm interested in kit as. I consider further training now. reddit/r/tacticalgear had been interesting, considering a Crye JPC or a Ferro Concepts Slickster now. Need to figure out AK pouches.

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    As far as kit: it's important to consider what you're going to use it for, what you need to carry, how long/far are you going to wear it etc.

Basics are 3-5 rifle mags, 0-2 pistol mags, an IFAK and a CAT. I've been looking hard at Telikon Hex's range rigs because they are low profile, the rifle mag panel is interchangeable (you can go all pistol/PCC mags, 3 AR/AK mags, 2 .308 mags), it has an admin pouch right up front and you can dangle an IFAK pouch underneath it. More importantly to me you can get it in materials/colors that don't scream tactical, like a heather gray or blue that look like denim. The good thing about kit, especially web gear, is that there are a lot of combat tested surplus setups out there whether you want Chicom or Warsaw Pact/Russian or you want ALICE compatible and they are relatively cheap.

Lightfighter.net has some good posts discussing what your belt, vest, or web gear set up could look like depending on what you want it to carry from guys currently using their stuff for work.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Or they are worried about the few people who will come around trying to see what nice expensive things they have if emergency services become overloaded or shutdown. But I just happened to grow up in a low income neighborhood with a relatively higher rate of crime, so maybe Professional Managerial Class people in deed restricted communities will be immune from this and are just delusional and I don't know that perspective.

If that's your argument, then shouldn't they be investing in home security? Deadbolted security doors, window grilles, etc.?

• Options
    edited March 2020

If that's your argument, then shouldn't they be investing in home security? Deadbolted security doors, window grilles, etc.?

It isn't a hard choice of one or the other. You can do both. But when you do get to the point of planning home security, a $200 pocket .380 or a $300 9x19mm handgun is both more portable and likely less expensive than putting money into hardening your entire rental. Passive security measures are absolutely useful. But a deadbolt doesn't stop someone from committing violence on you or a family member once they've made it past the door nor does the threat of a deadbolt make a violent assailant think twice about caving your head in. The reality is that many people aren't interested in the PMC bougie argument of go along to get by, give your ass up, and hope the cops show up and your assailant doesn't feel like coming back.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    I've done some shooting before but today I bought my first firearm, I am the proud owner of a Glock 45. I now understand why people end up with so many guns, I already have my next two purchases in mind. Scheduling my ccw courses soon. I've been lurking in this thread for years and I appreciate all the helpful information you all have shared in here.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Man, why does the Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 look so good to me, and why did I buy and XDM?

• Options

I mean, yeah you kinda nailed it. https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/225759/g16dbr556b/nordic-components-gilboa-dbr-snake-223-rem-double-barrel-ar15 Or an alike. Basically two independent ARs with one top rail.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    that's the definition of a range toy if I've ever seen one

• Options

It isn't a hard choice of one or the other. You can do both. But when you do get to the point of planning home security, a $200 pocket .380 or a $300 9x19mm handgun is both more portable and likely less expensive than putting money into hardening your entire rental. Passive security measures are absolutely useful. But a deadbolt doesn't stop someone from committing violence on you or a family member once they've made it past the door nor does the threat of a deadbolt make a violent assailant think twice about caving your head in. The reality is that many people aren't interested in the PMC bougie argument of go along to get by, give your ass up, and hope the cops show up and your assailant doesn't feel like coming back.

Crazy thing is, unless someone has scouted out your property specifically, made a detailed plan, and procured the tools necessary to carry out said plan, they're not getting past your security in the first place. Exactly what kind of assailant do you dream of shooting, anyway? Why are you concerned about teams of professional thieves assaulting your home, are you stockpiling art worth tens of millions in your bedroom closet? A burglar is going to see the security shit on your house and rob the place two doors down, all they want is a flat screen and any cash and jewellery they can snatch in the 15-30 seconds they will be inside. Which they will wait until there's nobody home to do, by the way.
    You also keep bringing up your weird fantasy that fitting security measures to your home is some upper middle class bourgeoisie thing to do, but then why are so many homes in poor neighbourhoods fitted with security equipment? I'm a diesel mechanic by trade (4th generation), as blue-collar as it gets, but I fitted security screens on my windows and deadbolts on my doors, am I secretly a yuppie?