As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I think that was my only exposure to gun nuts media and I think I’ll keep it that way. It was a weak topic and a weak argument.

Also, as far as I’m aware I’m in the minority of younger people still shooting revolvers and probably a smaller minority of pocket carrying a J-Frame when I’m lazy, so I’m a little confused about who the intended audience was. Especially when it comes to reloading because I don’t carry a speed strip / moon clip / speed loaded or an extra five loosies.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Having shot anywhere from 40-60 .45-70 shells in one sitting, my shoulder was bruised and uncomfortable.

I am not a particularly recoil sensitive individual. I haven’t looked up the ballistic comparisons, but I don’t think I need to.
    Is now the time to link to those videos of guys shooting the .577 Tyrannosaur? IIRC, that cartridge has something like 12,000 joules of discharge energy.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I think that was my only exposure to gun nuts media and I think I’ll keep it that way. It was a weak topic and a weak argument.

Also, as far as I’m aware I’m in the minority of younger people still shooting revolvers and probably a smaller minority of pocket carrying a J-Frame when I’m lazy, so I’m a little confused about who the intended audience was. Especially when it comes to reloading because I don’t carry a speed strip / moon clip / speed loaded or an extra five loosies.

I have watched his stuff before, but he comes off as whiney. I won't be watching his content going forward because he lost the little credibility he had when he couldn't even do a basic amount of research about Harrel's background in military and civilian competition as well as military and civilian experience.

I chalk it up to the normal internet style of argumentation again with a sprinkle of YouTube meta. He was in a hurry to take someone down and thought it would be an effective low effort content.

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    1. Who is GNM? and

B. You're right - Harrell's "civilian experience" gives him some credibility to say the least.

• Options
    1. Who is GNM? and

B. You're right - Harrell's "civilian experience" gives him some credibility to say the least.

Gun Nuts Media. His name is Caleb Giddings, works in the industry, competes, was on Top Shot on the history channel, former Coast Guard and now Air Force Reserves Security Forces. The last item explains why he is insufferable on the topic.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Man i'm both anxious and excited today. I'm going to finally (hopefully) get my CZ Scorpion Carbine out of jail today. Washington apparently has a system under a recent law that you have to wait 10 days for a background check (or sooner if the sherrif's department gets back to you earlier, which considering the situation now lol) but the catch is if no response is received in 10 days, you basically pass by way of "too bad so sad state, you had your time to verify the individual, they get their shiney". That said, the whole lockdown order by the governor complicates things somewhat. The shop said they're still open, just limiting the number of people in the store at time, but I wonder how much longer that's going to last honestly.

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    1. Who is GNM? and

Gun Nuts Media. His name is Caleb Giddings, works in the industry, competes, was on Top Shot on the history channel, former Coast Guard and now Air Force Reserves Security Forces. The last item explains why he is insufferable on the topic.

Can you imagine the level of power trip coming from a reserve SF unit during annual training? 1mph over the limit tickets and "random" vehicle inspections as far as the eye can see.

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    My normal shop in WA is “closed”. How they’re handling it is minimal staffing with a live inventory system. If you’re doing a transfer they call you to come in, fill out paperwork, then call you to come in 10 days later or when the background check clears. Seems like a lot of the smaller shops are moving to a similar model. If they can ship it they ship it.

• Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    I did a dumb thing and broke my manticore arms extended charging handle for my scorpion (don't gorilla things, I knew better and it still happened), I'm back down to the factory nub while I wait for a replacement and my knuckles already hate me. :( Also I went 3500 rounds without cleaning the gun to see if I could, and you can with no issues. I just wouldn't recommend it, took almost two hours two hours to clean and there is still carbon buildup on the muzzle brake I wasn't able to get off. Think i'm going to have to find someone with a sonic cleaner to get that thing back to normal.) As much as it hurts I've curtailed buying gun things in an attempt to be a responsible adult, but working from home makes it so much easier to just doodle around the internet and shop, couple that with boredom and I have a recipe for disaster.

Also I've decided that the Ruger Wrangler will be my gateway to wheel guns

• Options
    So I found my 11th Edition Cartridges of the World book and found the entry on the 700 Nitro Express, a 1000grain SP/FMJ with 2000 FPS muzzle velocity puts out around 8900 ft/lbs. for comparison, factory loading for a 300gr soft point on a .45-70 gets you about 2355 ft/lbs of energy.

Some hand loads can get up to 3000-3700 ft/lbs

• Options
    edited March 2020
    [Paragon] wrote: »
    I did a dumb thing and broke my manticore arms extended charging handle for my scorpion (don't gorilla things, I knew better and it still happened), I'm back down to the factory nub while I wait for a replacement and my knuckles already hate me. :( Also I went 3500 rounds without cleaning the gun to see if I could, and you can with no issues. I just wouldn't recommend it, took almost two hours two hours to clean and there is still carbon buildup on the muzzle brake I wasn't able to get off. Think i'm going to have to find someone with a sonic cleaner to get that thing back to normal.) As much as it hurts I've curtailed buying gun things in an attempt to be a responsible adult, but working from home makes it so much easier to just doodle around the internet and shop, couple that with boredom and I have a recipe for disaster.

Also I've decided that the Ruger Wrangler will be my gateway to wheel guns

One of my LGSs has a couple Ruger Wranglers in their cabinet and they look good. Though I'm looking at a Charter Arms .357 they have on the shelf for my first revolver. It's only a little more than a Taurus. I haven't looked at many reviews of it yet but it felt fairly good in my hand, the trigger was good, and even though it's a 2ish inch barrel it has a full size grip. It's probably close to an S&W J frame with a full size grip as it's a 5 shot.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    Gundeals posted a couple of S&W model 65’s with 4” barrels the last couple of days. For low 400’s which is okay but the pictures seem to put them in pretty good shape. My model 65 that I rescued is a great shooter.

I think I saw on kings firearms a S&W 642 police trade in for like $244

.357 is bad ass but you don’t gain much out of shorter barrels, it really shines out of 4-6” and shooting a small frame .357 can be unpleasant (looking at you, S&W340PD)

.38 special +p does pretty good in ~2” barrels, a compromise between .380 and 9mm

Don’t know what you’re looking for in a revolver but those are my thoughts.

• Options
    Gundeals posted a couple of S&W model 65’s with 4” barrels the last couple of days. For low 400’s which is okay but the pictures seem to put them in pretty good shape. My model 65 that I rescued is a great shooter.

.357 is bad ass but you don’t gain much out of shorter barrels, it really shines out of 4-6” and shooting a small frame .357 can be unpleasant (looking at you, S&W340PD)

.38 special +p does pretty good in ~2” barrels, a compromise between .380 and 9mm

Mostly what I'm looking for is something to get into revolver shooting. I figured looking at a .357 because I can get .38 to train with alongside .357, if my wife wants to or needs to shoot it I can load it with .38 or .38 +p. If it's a small J frame size I can throw in my pocket that's just a bonus. I am not opposed to a K frame with a longer barrel.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have a Ruger GP100. Love it. The thing is built like a goddamn tank, even by revolver standards. The trigger was a bit rough when I very first got it, but it really smoothed out.

• Options
    NSDFRand wrote: »

Mostly what I'm looking for is something to get into revolver shooting. I figured looking at a .357 because I can get .38 to train with alongside .357, if my wife wants to or needs to shoot it I can load it with .38 or .38 +p. If it's a small J frame size I can throw in my pocket that's just a bonus. I am not opposed to a K frame with a longer barrel.

Well, you know what works for you, but I thought I’d share some perspective on it since I have fallen for revolvers hard over the years.

Doc, I want to get a GP100 pretty bad

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I gotta agree, That GP100 is damn sweet.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I put wood grips on it. Ended up looking great.orljzqvs28kd.jpg

• Options
    That does look real pretty.

If I get another revolver it’s got to be either .45 colt, or a 3” / 6” .357. Those are the parameters and I’m not actively hunting for one, it’s just a matter of if I come across a great deal at the right time.

The .45 colt would be for my dad, as he has a hankering for a S&W model 625. He might end up with a lever action 12 gauge from Black Aces Tactical if I gift him a firearm anytime soon.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I miss my Taurus Raging Bull .44 Mag. It was just such a beauty to shoot. A complete toy though. I had gotten at cost from an old job. Ended up selling it and wish I hadn't.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    So it turns out, according to the store, it's 10 Business days, not calendar days like it was back in california (uh ok?) so my hopes of picking up my Scorpion on Friday were dashed. on the flip side, I suppose it's given me a good opportunity to go over my guns that were in storage. In no major surprise, a Mosin Nagant I haven't shot in years has some pretty visible rust in the bore, so I'm going to try and hit it with Birchwood casey rust remover and hope it can get scrubbed off. I'm probably going to do a full teardown of the rest of my rifles since I haven't shot them since moving up here and do a full clean and lube job on each of them as well just to be safe.

Finally got my reloading station unpacked as well so that's good. I'm hoping I can start churning out rounds again after not doing it for a couple of years. My stash of .44 mag is painfully low so that's something I'll definitely need to devote time to.

Also, does anyone know any good gunsmiths that might still be open up here in washington? Specifically around the Lynnwood/Edmonds area? I'd like to have a pro install the parts to my scorpion, but it sounds like they're all focused on purchases/transfers right now.

• Options
    So it turns out, according to the store, it's 10 Business days, not calendar days like it was back in california (uh ok?) so my hopes of picking up my Scorpion on Friday were dashed. on the flip side, I suppose it's given me a good opportunity to go over my guns that were in storage. In no major surprise, a Mosin Nagant I haven't shot in years has some pretty visible rust in the bore, so I'm going to try and hit it with Birchwood casey rust remover and hope it can get scrubbed off. I'm probably going to do a full teardown of the rest of my rifles since I haven't shot them since moving up here and do a full clean and lube job on each of them as well just to be safe.

Finally got my reloading station unpacked as well so that's good. I'm hoping I can start churning out rounds again after not doing it for a couple of years. My stash of .44 mag is painfully low so that's something I'll definitely need to devote time to.

Also, does anyone know any good gunsmiths that might still be open up here in washington? Specifically around the Lynnwood/Edmonds area? I'd like to have a pro install the parts to my scorpion, but it sounds like they're all focused on purchases/transfers right now.

West Coast Armory North is open to some degree.

What Scorpion parts? I've done a number of them and it's pretty straightforward. It's just a straight blowback design.

• Options
    Doc wrote: »

What Scorpion parts? I've done a number of them and it's pretty straightforward. It's just a straight blowback design.

I kinda went down a laundry list of the "recommended" upgrades aside from other things:

-Yetiwurks Switchback Grip
    -Yetiwurks Paddle Mag Release
    -HBI Spring Kit
    -HBI Theta Trigger
    -ProStock Extended Charging Handle
    - 1 1/28 Extended Flash hider that I had lying around
    - HBI AK Style Safety

I also have an APEX tactical trigger I'd like swapped into my Glock 19 as well.

• Options

I kinda went down a laundry list of the "recommended" upgrades aside from other things:

-HBI Spring Kit
    -HBI Theta Trigger
    - HBI AK Style Safety

That's a nice list. I have a similar list of stuff on mine.

The trigger and the spring are the only sort-of challenging parts there, and both can be done at a kitchen table. It helps to have a vise to hold the whole thing, but isn't strictly necessary.

I'm sure you've seen this:

https://youtu.be/lNC3nqu17BQ

• Options

-HBI Spring Kit
    -HBI Theta Trigger
    - HBI AK Style Safety

That's a nice list. I have a similar list of stuff on mine.

The trigger and the spring are the only sort-of challenging parts there, and both can be done at a kitchen table. It helps to have a vise to hold the whole thing, but isn't strictly necessary.

I'm sure you've seen this:

https://youtu.be/lNC3nqu17BQ

I have not! And that's great news. I've got a workbench set up so once I get it I'll get cracking on it. Hopefully I can get it done in a single weekend. Thank you very much for the link.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    It's still my dream one day to get a custom four bore blackpowder cartridge double rifle.

As expensive as they are I'm probably going to have to just make one myself.

Like, I'll never hunt big game in Africa (I am going on Safari there in a few years though) but I just want to own a rifle that could stop a charging rhino, and I want a pith hat.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    It's still my dream one day to get a custom four bore blackpowder cartridge double rifle.

As expensive as they are I'm probably going to have to just make one myself.

Like, I'll never hunt big game in Africa (I am going on Safari there in a few years though) but I just want to own a rifle that could stop a charging rhino, and I want a pith hat.

Would you go full Quartermain and name it Matilda?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I meant to type this out earlier in the week, but, well you know.

I spent two hours training and shooting with a Beginner to Firearms class on Monday. My main takeaway was wow, this is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. It was also fantastic to demystify guns all together.

I had never held or fired a gun until Monday and the instructor had me practice for about twenty with a rubber molded gun. Picking it up, holding it, muzzle awareness. Then I got to shoot a, and forgive me I don't know the right vocabulary yet, a 22 Glock...17 I think?

The instructor said it was a gun only sold as of a few months ago. After 100 rounds of that I got to shoot 20 rounds of the 9mm Glock 19 which, wow, those bullets looked like missiles compared to the 22. I focused on being as mindful of reloading, muzzle discipline, checking the chamber and magazine before setting the gun down.

We also had a long discussion about home defense as I don't plan to do anything else with a future gun (other than training). He discussed shotguns with me but pointed out you can't train with buckshot shells at any local range. So while it's a good idea if you have land to shoot in, he wouldn't reccomend it because you would want your main defense fun to be something you are very familiar with.

I filled out and filed my "Permit to Purchase" form, which ARE being processed right now (Carry Permits are not).

Once my Permit is issued I plan to go back and book another instructor to go over different kind of hand guns, but given what ammunition would be readily available I think a 9mm is probably in my future so I'd like to try more variations on that.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    It was probably a Glock 44, which is the new rimfire model. Glock has many different models with only a little rhyme and reason other than the order the patents were won in.

The instructor is right about familiarity. And brought up another important downside to shotguns as a defensive weapon, but that can also apply to other firearms: training can be a major issue when you can't train realistically.

It's because of a couple things in my view and experience: it's easier to enforce safety rules if you limit what everyone on the range can do with a firearm, realistic training can be relatively resource intensive, and the type of people with the capital to own and run a range (even if it's a private club) are going to skew older and the rate of Fuddery is higher among older gun owners.

For the first two, most ranges open to the public aren't going to have the time or resources to assess every person who walks in off the street in such granularity that they can know your level of experience and training so they have to go by the lowest common denominator. For the last item, there is a set of, especially older, gun owners who believe the apex of training is bench shooting an extremely expensive rimfire target rifle or sighting in their deer gun right before the season and any further training is unnecessary.

So it is difficult to find a range which will allow you to train realistically but safely because static ranges are easier and often the preference of the type of people who can afford to run a range available to the public.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    My local outdoor rifle ranges (which, for my long guns, are really the only ones I can use due to steel bullet and caliber restrictions) have set times where faster fire is allowed, but yeah doing run-and-gun shooting in my area and really most of Virginia in general is pretty rough without a large private landholding

I'd basically have to go to WV for serious 2 gun action match type shooting, and the one group that runs matches there has a wait list as long as my arm

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Can people stop panic buying so I can get new guns? Please and thank you.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Look, they have to guard their toilet paper hoards with something . . .

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Look, they have to guard their toilet paper hoards with something . . .

Plates are cheap right now, heh

Time to build a rig

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

I’m just looking forward to used new guns, or the influx of people that stick with it.

The shitty thing is the scarcity and high price of ammo. Was holding off on a big buy until we moved...

• Options
    I cleaned a handful of firearms today, I think I might go through and clean the rest of them. It’s amazing how different the AR functioned after cleaning it for the first time in I think three years?

Bolt felt smooth. It was pretty gunked up. It’s seen range and field use >1500 rounds since I cleaned it.

• Options
    Woof...yeah the panic buying is certainly nuts. I finally went to pick up my Scorpion Evo Carbine this weekend after nearly 3 weeks in background check jail (that was fun to work with, let me tell ya). Took nearly 3 hours of waiting in line to finally pick it up. The store is small so they were only allowing 3 folks in at a time to get it done so that contributed it. On the plus side, the reason I was searching for a gunsmith was also resolved in this trip as this store that I thought was no longer doing gunsmith work, was actually doing gunsmithing work after all!

It turns out the guy I spoke to 3 weeks ago was just being a salty dick and said that they don't do anything when they actually do (i guess they were too busy or something). The clerk looked at me all surprised when I asked if they had a gunsmith they could recommend to do the part installations and she cheerfully piped up that they can do everything I need right there. So my Carbine is in jail for a little while longer, but soon I'll have it in my arms.

And yeah Dead Legend, it's kind of crazy some of the guns folks are already unloading here. I'm seeing fully assembled and upgraded used ARs for sub 500 bucks. I've been thinking about getting a carbine for just futzing around, and at that price, even used is a pretty good deal not going to lie.

• Options
    $500 is about as high as I’d go for a parts build by someone I didn’t know, but a factory gun, bring it on.

• Options
    The $500 for used ARs is also probably a function of your local market for ARs. It may likely be lower in places with fewer restrictions on purchasing ARs so there are more people buying them. For example, there's Marksman TV on YouTube who runs a shop in Indiana and in his "used guns of the week" videos he typically shows used ARs at $3-400 with extra accessories not being hugely additive to the price his market seems to be at.

I imagine it's also probably used ARs with cheaply made red dots and lights from Wal-Mart. Someone who bought an AR in a panic because they didn't have a gun probably doesn't know much about the quality of optics and lights or other accessories and anyone who already had an AR or two and did know would know they are worth more than the sum of their parts when you want to sell it.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I'm OCD about cleaning my guns. Other people are like, this gun hasn't been cleaned for three generations. Meanwhile I'm like, well I got bored and did a function check for no reason, might as well break out the Hoppes and brush kit...

Really it just feels like part of the process. Go shoot, come home, have dinner, everybody goes to bed and I unroll the cleaning mat and put a movie on. Just calming I guess, like a self-induced ASMR or something.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm OCD about cleaning my guns. Other people are like, this gun hasn't been cleaned for three generations. Meanwhile I'm like, well I got bored and did a function check for no reason, might as well break out the Hoppes and brush kit...

Really it just feels like part of the process. Go shoot, come home, have dinner, everybody goes to bed and I unroll the cleaning mat and put a movie on. Just calming I guess, like a self-induced ASMR or something.

I should be better about it. Usually I just wipe them down and wait til they get dirtier.

I don’t mind cleaning in bulk but I do mind having to break out all my crap for one gun

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    One of the reasons it's been a very long time since I've done anything besides dry firing is that I can't find all of my cleaning kit and I don't feel like buying new stuff when I know it's all somewhere in this house.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772