As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    That is...

The most Fallout gun I’ve ever seen in real life

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    My buddy was gifted a Marlin.30-30 from his cadets when he was leaving. That thing was cool and fun to shoot.

I wouldn’t turn one down in that scenario and am looking forward to eventually getting one in.357 or 45 colt

Just ballistically I have so many better options than .30-30

Basically the last thing (lol) on my list is the Marlin dark series 357 lever rifle, so I can put a red dot and silencer on it and go full space cowboy.

I want to go the Henry X route...

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Evil black cowboy rifle :biggrin: Love it.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Most shotguns and lever actions always looked like they would be to frustrating to take apart. Most of the time to clean I just field strip my guns and clean off the surfaces. I dont think I've shot any of them enough to justify a full breakdown, especially of the bolt. But man, even something like a 870 seems like it would be a pain.

• Options
    Most shotguns and lever actions always looked like they would be to frustrating to take apart. Most of the time to clean I just field strip my guns and clean off the surfaces. I dont think I've shot any of them enough to justify a full breakdown, especially of the bolt. But man, even something like a 870 seems like it would be a pain.

I’ve never done more than sent a boresnake down the 870 and wiped the breech and the exterior and a little oil on the pump rails.

If you actually watch on the Henry website the disassembly its not bad.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I kinda wanna find some way to rig up a lever gun to take AK mags and shoot 7.62x39 or something. Then put on an optical sight and suppressor.

• Options
    I think 7.62x39 with a polymer tipped bullet like hornady’s offerings would be fine out of a tube. No need for magazine even though it would be cool.

The throw would definitely be hampered by a magazine.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    The interchangeable 30 round box magazine is the point, though.

Label on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »

Just fit a really really long tube magazine?

"Hey Label, why is your gun 7 feet long?"

"I don't gotta reload all day long, pal!"

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

You could do a side or top loading box magazine akin to the Sten and early German MPs or the Bren etc.

• Options

I get that. If you’re interested in the magazine then pump action would be more your speed than a lever.

• Options
    … what? You mean like one of those pump action ar15s they make for ban states?

No, that's not what I want.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    There's a few box mag lever action shotguns. And a few box mag lever action hunting rifles (with like, a 3 round capacity). There's 7.62x39 lever action hunting rifles with box mags made by Henry. You'd need to mod it but it might work. It is also apparently compatible with Ruger Mini-30 mags which only go up to 20.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    There's a few box mag lever action shotguns. And a few box mag lever action hunting rifles (with like, a 3 round capacity). There's 7.62x39 lever action hunting rifles with box mags made by Henry. You'd need to mod it but it might work. It is also apparently compatible with Ruger Mini-30 mags which only go up to 20.

The only thing I could find about that is a Glock forum post dated 4/1/19.

Sadly I think it’s bogus.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That's the same one I saw too. Oh well. :(

It's kind of a shame, lever action guns are stuck. Partly because the design is so classic and partly because there's no need for innovation. We've already invented better lever action guns, they're called semi-auto guns. There's a few companies doing weird things with them, moving away from the classic look of a lever action, but they're quite niche (and look kinda ugly tbh). it bugs me because all the pieces are there, but they just don't really exist.

• Options
    I like the modern lever gun look. Can’t beat the classics, but for a rifle to keep handy when you’re out and about I can’t think of a more solid tool.

One of the wildlife biologists at the hunts I was drawn on kept a .357 lever gun in his truck for whatever he needed it for, dispatching wounded game, predator control, self-defense (south Texas with big presence of illegal aliens cruising through), etc.

If you’re in bear country and going hiking, a .44 mag or .45 colt would do the trick for anything you might encounter.

If you’re in a ban state, it would be hard to beat a 10 round .357 long gun, especially one of the modern ones with a red dot and light.

If you are recoil sensitive, .38 special will do the job too.

I just think they are badass rifles and have too much utility to worry about a box mag designed for your typical semi-auto. Even though it would be cool, and I’ll be the first to cheer Bubba when he figures out how to do it, I can’t get upset over a lever action with hardwood or M-Lok rails with an RMR and a Surefire/Streamlight with tapeswitch and a handstop.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Yeah back when I was a wildlife biologist, and almost went for the full-time lifestyle of being a vagrant taking on seasonal field biology jobs in any locality that would take me (and many of the better jobs in that field are in CA or other states with actual science funding, which unfortunately does often correlate with more gun regulations as of late), I ran the numbers on what an effective 50-state legal gun would look like for such a lifestyle and it came out to either the Ruger/Steyr/Savage Scout (effectively the same rifle give give or take a few details) or the .357 lever gun

I might attempt that life again in a little bit once COVID-19 elapses, and some debts like my car loan, are paid off, but for now I'm pretty happy I took the long-term laboratory work and also have the two guns I own (one CZ pistol, one combloc AK) which should actually have pretty solid resale value if I do need to offload them for such a lifestyle shift

• Options
    Now a day they make bolt action conversions for AR-15s.

I've also heard the M1 grand called the best ban state rifle, but IDK if I would want to carry a piece of history around with me for defense.

• Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    AK operators union put out a video about a new AK74 for under 800 bucks coming out shortly. It's from Riley Defense which makes me ugh, but he seems pleased with the rifle so far. If it's still standing after his absurd "testing" I might have to consider picking it up. I needs an AK74 but I refuse to pay Arsenal prices. I just want a beater gun that I can Tarkov and abuse the hell out of while having fun.

• Options
    I think PSA is making a 74 as well.

The bigger issue is the lack of 5.45 ammo.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Now a day they make bolt action conversions for AR-15s.

I've also heard the M1 grand called the best ban state rifle, but IDK if I would want to carry a piece of history around with me for defense.

I'm pretty sure you can find more recently made, non-historical versions but those weren't really popular given how many there had been available through the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

That said, I'd lean more towards one of the modern M14 pattern rifles as I don't really need 30.06 for anything and it's not the cheapest round (neither is .308 of course).

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    The point was you cant have a detachable magazine or a larger capacity than 10 rounds I believe. That's been the most common requirements of a "ban state rifle" I've seen.

So, the M14 is out of the running.

• Options
    The point was you cant have a detachable magazine or a larger capacity than 10 rounds I believe. That's been the most common requirements of a "ban state rifle" I've seen.

So, the M14 is out of the running.

It depends on the state I suppose. Not like this is exactly standardized and I've seen some legislation that the M14 would pass under.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Yeah I think the m14 potentially would avoid a lot of the problems due to a lack of pistol grip which is usually the big scary thing that a lot of states ban for simply existing. I figure the main thing it would run into is the mag size restrictions which if you're running sub 10 round mags shouldn't be a problem aside from 1-2 even more restrictive states. That said, the main argument against an m14 is lugging the thing around. Aren't they like pig-heavy?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Yeah, an M1A is usually heavier than an M1A which are already above 10 pounds, I think

There's no such thing as the perfect rifle

You could easily figure out the best rifle for whatever you need it to do, there are always trade offs

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah, an M1A is usually heavier than an M1A which are already above 10 pounds, I think

You could easily figure out the best rifle for whatever you need it to do, there are always trade offs

How DARE you?

There is such a thing as the perfect rifle, it is called the AK47, comrade!

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie, I want to build a shorter rifle for funsies and an AK does sound mighty appealing, but build options seem severely limited. If I just want a fug-around gun for cheap, how are the PSA AKs these days? I recall them landing with a splash but not much afterwards. I would like to tactical-ify them a bit mind, so something with a forward grip and optic mounting options are a must.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

How DARE you?

You could probably use an AK47 in 7.62 x 39 for white tail deer and 30-50 feral hogs

• Options

How DARE you?

You could probably use an AK47 in 7.62 x 39 for white tail deer and 30-50 feral hogs

I remember hearing that the SKS had been gaining an audience among people out in the boonies as a deer rifle, a market that had long been the domain of 30-30 lever rifles.

Steam Profile
  • Options

How DARE you?

An AK can be used for something as small as to kill a flea, or as gigantic as to overthrow a government - there is no more perfect rifle ever invented!

• Options

How DARE you?

An AK can be used for something as small as to kill a flea, or as gigantic as to overthrow a government - there is no more perfect rifle ever invented!

Wrong, the FAL to drop the AK wielding commie fucks

• Options
    AR-15. Stoner is the second greatest American behind Jesus!

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    The M82A1.

Reach out and touch someone.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

How DARE you?

I intend to!

and re: the SKS, an old law school colleague had one on the rez for taking game and defense

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    The problem with thinking of a "perfect ban state rifle" is that there is no perfect ban state rifle because the goal of ban states is to eliminate ownership either explicitly through regulation or to make it so onerous as to effectively end ownership. There's no rifle you can own that will be "safe" because, if we look at e.g. Australia, depending on the path the state takes you'll eventually be arguing to not ban lever action and pump action rifles and shotguns.

• Options
    AR-15. Stoner is the second greatest American behind Jesus!

Where does JMB fall?

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    The problem with thinking of a "perfect ban state rifle" is that there is no perfect ban state rifle because the goal of ban states is to eliminate ownership either explicitly through regulation or to make it so onerous as to effectively end ownership. There's no rifle you can own that will be "safe" because, if we look at e.g. Australia, depending on the path the state takes you'll eventually be arguing to not ban lever action and pump action rifles and shotguns.

Eh, the Scout rifles I mentioned are legal in Canada and Australia so this is one where I'm inclined to disagree

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

I legit re-read this 5 times and am not sure if it's a typo or a joke that I'm missing...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »

Eh, the Scout rifles I mentioned are legal in Canada and Australia so this is one where I'm inclined to disagree

The "dangerous military style sniper rifle" rhetoric is already out there. Frankly, thinking that the set who doesn't want you to own an AR15 is okay with you owning a Ruger Gunsite is naive.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod