As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yakuza: Like a Thread

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    3 is a good one too, even the western PS3 version.

It's been a while since I played 3, but my main memory of that game is that Kiryu left Kamurocho for like 45 minutes to get smokes and in that time literally everyone forgot about him despite him being a Very Big Deal by this point, so every chump in the city lines up to get a bike parked in their jaw.

And it never stops being funny.

Those 'oh fuck' moments when some thug actually realises who Kiryu is and desperately tries to communicate it to everyone else are always a delight.
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Anyone try Y3 yet?

Substories being marked is huge because it's been pretty annoying in PS3 Y3 having to find them.

I assume the changes to translation mean no more "Fuma" confusion.

What are the other changes?

Removal of transphobic content, restoration of missing minigames, cabaret club activities and sidestories.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I really hope 4 removes the rape jokes and the transphobic shit. They just immediately soured me on the game.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    4 is my favorite game in the series in terms of giving each cast member equal play, but yeah, it can be dicey.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    oh hey, guess that april fools thing wasn't just a joke

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I'm kind of panicking right now. The turn-based stuff looks cool, but I was expecting it to be a mini-game thing and people are saying that it's now the main battle system.

I'll still play it but man. Don't know how I feel.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    That's crazy, but I'm up for whatever Ryu Ga Gotoku studio wants to do. Yakuza-Persona? Sure, fuck it, let's go.

• Options
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    As someone who really liked the story and world of Yakuza 0 when I played it but was super bored by the combat

my time has come

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    how’re you guys speccing your Majima

I’ve got him mostly physical DPS with breakdance magic splashed in

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    As someone who really liked the story and world of Yakuza 0 when I played it but was super bored by the combat

my time has come

My wife adores the world/characters/minigames of Yakuza, but finds the fighting to be a deadly combination of "hard" (requiring constant attention and timed button presses) and "boring" (the cool combos and moves are frequently beyond her, so she sticks with basic moves that guarantee results)

Something that lets her take her time and has visual spectacle is gonna be very exciting, I reckon

• Options
    also one of the key elements of Y4 and Y5 have been great casts that are separated by necessity of the gameplay

a great Yakuza cast that MUST work together by virtue of being in a four person party?

fuck, and yes

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    also one of the key elements of Y4 and Y5 have been great casts that are separated by necessity of the gameplay

a great Yakuza cast that MUST work together by virtue of being in a four person party?

fuck, and yes

That is actually a really good point.

I think the only way the game could really disappoint me is if they don't include big crazy heat moves. But there's really no reason why they shouldn't. And if they have team-up ones with your party members? Yeah give me that.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I love the studio going "look, we are trying it for this one because it seems fun and if it doesn't work out we will go back to the old combat in 8"

Just refreshingly honest

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »

Wow, he is something else.
    I like how it's pretty clear what's going on even with no translation whatsoever.

When will Yakuza protagonists learn? Going to jail makes it worse.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    to give y’all an idea of how this could look in context, here’s the April fools video

https://youtu.be/fQ2kCGGwG_Q

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    This is unexpected but sure. I'll give it a go.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    to give y’all an idea of how this could look in context, here’s the April fools video

https://youtu.be/fQ2kCGGwG_Q

The actual gameplay snippet they showed looks a lot less cinematic than this, and also faster. Which I definitely think is a good thing.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular

There's also character classes/jobs.

The last screen shows some special attacks by a (I assume) homeless class party member, including "Stinky Breath" "Flame Breath" and "Summon Pigeons"

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    At around 4.05 in the trailer there's a brief shot of a guy who looks a lot like the Korean dude Kiryu fights in Yakuza 6.

Which has me thinking this is set before 6.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I don't know how to feel about the new doofus yet

he's got a red suit so it just makes me want my boy Akiyama

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The fun in Yakuza combat was always in the hilarious Ex moves anyway. Those could easily be turn based attacks.

The last thing Yakuza needs is longer trash fights though. Fighting mooks on the street for 1% xp/money compared to Minigames.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The entire time watching that footage, I had one question that I don't actually want to know the answer to

Where's Kiryu??????

I need to catch up

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...

Crazy but sure.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    What interests me a lot is that so many turn based games these days go for faster and less over the top animations. But I love super stupid over the top way too long animations.

But Yakuza also loves stupid big over the top animations... so this alone makes me excited for see what they do for super stupid super moves and whatnot. That's the kinda shit I live for in turn based games.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    At around 4.05 in the trailer there's a brief shot of a guy who looks a lot like the Korean dude Kiryu fights in Yakuza 6.

Which has me thinking this is set before 6.
    Kasuga served 18 years in a strict penitentiary, and in 2019, was finally released.

Nope, definitely after Y6.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I did notice when I was playing Judgement I actually felt it was a step down gameplay wise.

And it felt like it was because their were fewer over the top abilities.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    this whole thing is a very weird turn of events but I'm down for whatever

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    this whole thing is a very weird turn of events but I'm down for whatever

And at the end of the day, isn't that what Yakuza is really about?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Fuck it, I'll try it. I'm confident in Team Yakuza's ability to inject their strange personality into turn-based combat.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Although I doubt they're doing this with the west in mind, I think it's brilliant because of how things are going here.

I'm like 80% through Y3 on the PS3, then I'll switch over to the collection on PS4 for Y4 and Y5. Haven't played 6 yet.

In a year I've done Y0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2.

I love this world, I love the minigames, I love the story, I love the characters.

The fighting, while fun, is getting a tad repetitive as I continue to plow through 7 games in a series in such a short span of time.

Having Y7 land next year, with a brand new way of fighting, but hopefully all the other stuff, is the perfect way to keep me engaged in this universe without getting totally burnt out.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Zandracon wrote: »

That title is perfect on many levels.

I'm not sure how I feel about turn based... but come to think of it, they've been doing the same combat for 10+ games.

I guess they deserve a chance to branch out.

Also, give me this suit for a day. Heck, an hour.
    EDHaF3pUYAEs07X.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Somehow I missed the part that this is a NEW LOCATION as well.

And holy butts will that ever help make the game feel even more fresh. Don't get me wrong, I loved Kamurocho but it will be nice to actually feel a sense of exploration again in one of these games.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It looks like Kamurocho as well? Seems like back and forth between there and Yokohama

Unless I misread something

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    That hair is, let me be clear, extremely good

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

I cannot join you in this

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    It looks like Kamurocho as well? Seems like back and forth between there and Yokohama

Unless I misread something

The story blurb shows the the intro of the game seems to be Kamurocho for story reasons but the primary city is Isezaki Ijincho in Yokohama. Which is apparently a map 3X the size of old Kamurocho.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

I cannot join you in this

Yeah the hair is no good, it makes him look like a goober

And not a cool goober like Kiryu or Majima, just a regular unkempt goober

He looks like he’s going to come up to me way too drunk at a party and ask me my opinion about something really weird to try and win an argument before stumbling outside and passing out in a bush

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    It seems very clear that he IS a goober.

And his hair is great ya'll are crazy.

This discussion has been closed.