Options

Yakuza: Like a Thread

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It's a pretty boss business card holder too

• Options
    What fighting style is everyone favoring?
    As soon as Rush was unlocked I never looked back
    Rush can stun the dudes that guard, and Brawler just seems so slow, I'm not even sure what its advantages are

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Shit guys, the internet really loved this stupid chicken, maybe we should delay Kiwami to put it in? All the survey results are about that chicken.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I use all three. Why limit myself? Beast's been pretty damn effective though.

Also, this fake Punk Band quest is lol.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I've been pretty much all about beast since I unlocked it. It kinda feels like playing Dead Rising.

• Options
    I only have Rush and Brawler right now but I just love the speed and dodging

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Why the fuck wasn't "I've played every localized Yakuza game and even some of the imports" a default option?

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    I basically use brawler 90% of the time. If there's a huge crowd of weak punks, I'll use beast mainly for the armor and the heat move that swings one dude into every other dude nearby.

Rush seems like it should be good for one on one fights like bosses. Blocking becoming an invincible evasion and triple quickstep are really nice, but I'm just not feeling it. Evade evade evade, mash square during an opening, use heat when you get a stun, watch the same animation every time, repeat forever.

The only thing I dislike about brawler is you can't aim your throw anymore (or aimed throws work differently and I am dum)

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    That chicken is gonna get made an executive producer at Sega.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    Box of nails may have replaced the two pliers actions for Most Brutal Heat Action

• Options
    After the Michael Jackson ad Steven Spielberg sidequest: "At least I'll never have to fight zombies again."

Hahahahahahahaha. About that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n1BvqEpAxQ

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Box of nails may have replaced the two pliers actions for Most Brutal Heat Action

I just did this for the first time

Holy shit

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    This Shakedown guy is a real fucker

• Options
    Yeah this is a sucker's game this early on
    You can easily avoid him and frankly you can make a few million yen in several easier ways

• Options
    Murder him with heat actions. Just use consumables and weapons.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    And just beat Mr. Shakedown for the 4th time in Chapter 2. Time to finish this chapter.

This guy is the money bag that keeps on giving. He can't get past Beast Weapon Guard at the moment.

Speaking of Beast Mode. I just took down an entire huge group by using one mook as a weapon to 360 sweep the other mooks. :D

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Damn have I been missing out on this

I haven't been this impressed/invested in characters in a while damn good game so far

The combat kinda reminds me of God hand

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Just gonna say

Those videos are hd, which seems like a huge oversight to me.

• Options
    So I have a couple of weapons in my inventory but it seems like you don't actually pull them out in combat? It's just a bonus to your regular attacks?

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So I have a couple of weapons in my inventory but it seems like you don't actually pull them out in combat? It's just a bonus to your regular attacks?

Down on the D-pad pulls out the weapon you have equipped.

• Options
    Oh, thanks! I was digging around in the notebook and couldn't find that

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I bought Yakuza 0 today

The chicken video kind of sold me

Maybe the combat will click for me in this one, I don't know

When I played 4 I enjoyed pretty much every aspect of the game except the combat, which I found to be completely uninteresting and they made you do it all the damn time, you'd take two steps down the street and some asshole street punk would challenge you to a fight

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    This is my first Yakuza game and I'm pretty mixed on the combat.

You can do cool shit but the moment to moment fighting feels too loose and janky to me.

And I don't really like how dodging, blocking, and locking on feels.

It's just kind of a clumsy system. I don't hate it, but I don't love it, either.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I find it helps to think of the combat like Streets of Rage and not like Batman

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    It's worked pretty well for me so far. I can see how it can feel repetitive, but I always try to mix things up when I can, like styles and finishers that use the environment. (I love fighting near a car.)

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I always approached fighting as looking for opportunities to hit people with objects/objects with people/people with people and performing as many and varied heat actions as possible. Actually punching people for me was always used primarily to build heat meter.

• Options
    I'm trying to use items in the environment but almost always you have to turn away from a dude to pick them up and the auto-attack thus swings that bike at just the closest wall

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That chicken is gonna get made an executive producer at Sega.

So what you're saying is that Billy Hatcher's day has finally come

• Options
    You know

I never did play Billy Hatcher

I always wanted to

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Im only at chapter 3 might be farther but I've spent all night gambling and losing at shogi

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    I've just gotten to the part where you can buy and craft and upgrade weapons

There is a lot of fuckin' content in this game you guys

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Man, this game starts with some gooooood intrigue

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    This game has excellent Old Dude Faces

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Pretty much all those are real old dudes, too! All the Dojima lieutenants are actors who are famous for old yakuza movies, if I remember correctly

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular

It's a staple of the series.

• Options
    I tried playing some mahjong and my brain instantly melted down

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I used to play mahjong a bunch on my computer

I wonder if it bears any resemblance at all to the real thing

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The matching game? It's basically the equivalent of using playing cards in a matching game and calling it poker.

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    I got the stuffed Genesis

It's me, the king of the ufo catcher

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I got the stuffed Genesis

It's me, the king of the ufo catcher

I don't know what the trick to that thing is