As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: There Will Be No Overtime For This Thread.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    To be fair, i've never felt like a city owed a person a Super Bowl ring until JJ

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    To be fair, i've never felt like a city owed a person a Super Bowl ring until JJ

Nah fuck that shit. Plenty of good reliable people never got a ring. And as of late Watt has had some serious injury issues, might be time to think about retirement.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

I felt that exact thing for Tony Gonzalez. Didn't even matter that he ended his career as a Falcon, I'll be forever disappointed that he never got a Super Bowl ring.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Nah fuck that shit. Plenty of good reliable people never got a ring. And as of late Watt has had some serious injury issues, might be time to think about retirement.

Might be time. But that would be a shame. Not only is/was he so good he almost re-wrote the stat sheets on defensive players, the dude has worked his ass off for the fans AND for the city after the hurricane. He pumped life into the franchise years ago, and has been a hard working player who is honest, stays late to make sure he talks to as many fans as possible, is cordial, and has spent a ton of his own personal free time trying to make sure all the money he raised for the city after the Hurricane actually goes to the people instead of crazy corporate interests (as charity money is often want to do sadly).

He is the type of guy that people can look up to, and he works hard. I feel like those kinds of people should see their dreams fulfilled rather than another Tom Brady.

• Options

Might be time. But that would be a shame. Not only is/was he so good he almost re-wrote the stat sheets on defensive players, the dude has worked his ass off for the fans AND for the city after the hurricane. He pumped life into the franchise years ago, and has been a hard working player who is honest, stays late to make sure he talks to as many fans as possible, is cordial, and has spent a ton of his own personal free time trying to make sure all the money he raised for the city after the Hurricane actually goes to the people instead of crazy corporate interests (as charity money is often want to do sadly).

He is the type of guy that people can look up to, and he works hard. I feel like those kinds of people should see their dreams fulfilled rather than another Tom Brady.

Not at all remotely how people get rings. Like I get that you like Watt, but there are hundreds of players like him who aren't as photogenic or media friendly who also never got anything worthwhile except long term degradation of ligaments.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Not at all remotely how people get rings. Like I get that you like Watt, but there are hundreds of players like him who aren't as photogenic or media friendly who also never got anything worthwhile except long term degradation of ligaments.

There are not hundreds of players like JJ Watt, perhaps the best defensive player of all time

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    I meant more for the social aspect and charity giving.

I mean Felix Hernandez was an amazing pitcher, but played on the worst team so I doubt he'll be remembered much beyond the stats sheet.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Yea man. I know "being nice" isn't how people win championships.
    Got it.

As a native Houstonian, I feel like its quite o.k. that i say I'd like to see him get a ring. Because i feel like he deserves one.

Thats kind of part of being a "fan".

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    This is just heartbreaking as a Texans fan. It's agonizing to have a player that special (just performance-wise, I don't care about the off-the-field stuff)... and to have this happen.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

There are not hundreds of players like JJ Watt, perhaps the best defensive player of all time

Hahahaha what?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Also I don't know too many pro players who would start a fund raiser after a natural disaster, wind up raising $32 million, but continuously take time out of his own schedule to go to meetings to make sure that money goes directly to the people. Like, he could have farmed that shit out to some big name charity but didnt. Instead he works with people who know this kind of thing (he specializes in football not money after all) but shows up to every meeting and stuff because "he promised the people of Houston the money would go to them" and he wants to keep that promise.

That's....that's goddamn fucking admirable as hell right there man. He could have taken the publicity, farmed the work off to other people and basked in the public admiration but instead chose to stick with his word and do the right thing. I mean, shit, in this political climate given who is running this country I'd like to think there is a little damn justice in the world so people who try and do good work and be honest get rewarded.
    Fucking of course it might not (probably not) happen for him. And thats a shame, because i'd love for Houston to be able to take him there before bodily injury forces him out.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    RedTide wrote: »

Hahahaha what?

He already had possibly the highest peak of any defensive player ever. All he had to do was get the longevity. It's him and Lawrence taylor pretty much.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, sure if Reggie White doesn't exist.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    And him. Whatever. Point is he's in the conversation, which is why I said perhaps.

If he's best defender ever or third best defender ever, doesn't really change the overall point, either

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Yeah, sure if Reggie White doesn't exist.

I’d take LT and Watt over White.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Hahahaha what?

He already had possibly the highest peak of any defensive player ever. All he had to do was get the longevity. It's him and Lawrence taylor pretty much.

I still think it'd be Lawrence Taylor but yeah, what Watt has accomplished as a 3-4 DE is just off the charts

like, that's a position that's not designed to get sacks, and he's had two seasons of 20.5 sacks plus another 17.5 season

(for reference, Reggie White had a 21 sack season and his next best was two 18 sack seasons as a 4-3 aka edge rushing DE)

the sack record for a 3-4 DE was 19 sacks. watt's broken that twice!

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Ross [ed: the owner], who spoke about 90 minutes before the Dolphins’ 16-10 victory over Tennessee and the national anthem, said President Donald Trump has changed the focus of anthem conversation from social injustice issues to patriotism, so it’s better now for the players to stand.

“He’s changed that whole paradigm of what protest is,” Ross during his CommUnity Tailgate gathering at Hard Rock Stadium before Sunday’s home opener against Tennessee.

“And I think it’s incumbent upon the players today, because of how the public is looking at it, to really stand and really salute the flag.”

Ross said “whenever you’re dealing with the flag you’re dealing with something different” but he remains supportive of what Dolphins players did last season when Stills, Michael Thomas, former running back Arian Foster and former linebacker Jelani Jenkins chose to kneel during the national anthem.

Fuck right off.

• Options
    Sniveling fucking cowards. I look forward to Shannon Sharpe tearing them a new one.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That's truly incredible. "Sorry, black people, our openly-racist president has told you what your protest is about now so you can't do it."

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    That's truly incredible. "Sorry, black people, our openly-racist president has told you what your protest is about now so you can't do it."

Better yet, 'Our president demands fealty and by god I'm going to force you to give it to him!'

'Now, go out there and break your brains so I can extort money for a new stadium!'

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Ross [ed: the owner], who spoke about 90 minutes before the Dolphins’ 16-10 victory over Tennessee and the national anthem, said President Donald Trump has changed the focus of anthem conversation from social injustice issues to patriotism, so it’s better now for the players to stand.

“He’s changed that whole paradigm of what protest is,” Ross during his CommUnity Tailgate gathering at Hard Rock Stadium before Sunday’s home opener against Tennessee.

“And I think it’s incumbent upon the players today, because of how the public is looking at it, to really stand and really salute the flag.”

Ross said “whenever you’re dealing with the flag you’re dealing with something different” but he remains supportive of what Dolphins players did last season when Stills, Michael Thomas, former running back Arian Foster and former linebacker Jelani Jenkins chose to kneel during the national anthem.

Fuck right off.

Michigan should rename the school of business in response.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    NFL owners are still the fucking worst

In a way I almost find this better than that weird awkward week where they tried to pretend that they actually gave a shit about their players.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

In a way I almost find this better than that weird awkward week where they tried to pretend that they actually gave a shit about their players.

Meh, I can't say that I blame them. It might be greed or cowardice, but I mean if I own a business I'm not gonna want any of my employees doing some political protest while they're on the job. Moreso when it's activity pissing off half of my customers.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yall wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »

Meh, I can't say that I blame them. It might be greed or cowardice, but I mean if I own a business I'm not gonna want any of my employees doing some political protest while they're on the job. Moreso when it's activity pissing off half of my customers.

Meanwhile, I have absolutely no problem blaming them for being greedy cowards.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I love blaming greedy rich cowards for being greedy rich cowards. It's literally everything I despise about them!

• Options
    John Fox is a SUPERGENIUS!

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    So, basically we're only going to get one good game out of Bradford this year, I see.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Case Keenum?

Fine.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Trubisky looks good. The rest of the Chicago offense that isn't a RB is horsepoop but we knew that.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    0-2 in the second half.

i did not expect that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Ok Minnesota, start concussion protocol and sit Bradford with dignity.

• Options
    Bradford looks shell shocked.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Bradford looks shell shocked.

I was just going to say that.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I thought you loved Trubisky...

• Options
    God do I hate Gruden.

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    But Case Keenum has been around the league!

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    God do I hate Gruden.

Romo needs to be signed by the league as a whole and then they can just have him do commentary for every game.

This discussion has been closed.