As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Don't see much of a point in doing so.

Unless it's like a game like FE: Warriors, which comes out on both Switch and 3DS, but even then I'm not sure why they'd bother.

edzepp on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    edzepp wrote: »

Unless it's like a game like FE: Warriors, which comes out on both Switch and 3DS, but even then I'm not sure why they'd bother.

Tabletop mode multiplayer, not having to worry about stuff like this.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I don't suppose the dock is designed to accommodate a lay-flat configuration? Are there little feet on that back cover?

My entertainment cabinet's shelves don't have enough vertical clearance for me to lift the Switch out the top of the dock, and placing it on top of the cabinet would block the TV itself. I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy a small little side table for my Switch to have all to itself.

I just want to bump this, because, nice as the presentation is of the Switch tablet rising out of the dock and becoming a handheld, it would also be cool to have this laying flat.

I'm betting Nintendo didn't do the flat because they ran into arguments in testing because in console mode it would make sense to insert the tablet headfirst but in handheld mode you have this exposed port. So they made it upright for clarity (and I suppose ease of removal of the Joy Cons)

I...I guess I don't know what I'm saying.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I don't suppose the dock is designed to accommodate a lay-flat configuration? Are there little feet on that back cover?

My entertainment cabinet's shelves don't have enough vertical clearance for me to lift the Switch out the top of the dock, and placing it on top of the cabinet would block the TV itself. I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy a small little side table for my Switch to have all to itself.

I just want to bump this, because, nice as the presentation is of the Switch tablet rising out of the dock and becoming a handheld, it would also be cool to have this laying flat.

I'm betting Nintendo didn't do the flat because they ran into arguments in testing because in console mode it would make sense to insert the tablet headfirst but in handheld mode you have this exposed port. So they made it upright for clarity (and I suppose ease of removal of the Joy Cons)

I kinda guess gravity helps the thing dock properly too.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

One would hope so. I dunno, feels like another one of those "Did we really need to confirm this?" stories, like the 'ARMS has more characters than 5' thing.

This one is one I'm glad they confirmed. The arms thing seemed obvious. The eshop not being available day one wouldn't have surprised me or even been that weird. Day one is good though.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, I read up and apparently 3DS didn't have it ready on day 1, so I guess there's precedent?

In this case they will need to since they have a few digital titles for launch date.

edzepp on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Tabletop mode multiplayer, not having to worry about stuff like this.

Hasn't everyone who's actually used the right Joy-con said this is basically a non-issue?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Giant bomb was bitching about it. But they were almost as salty as this thread, in general. So, just take a pinch of that salt with it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Minor bit of news, Swedish game retailer Webhallen posted on their Facebook that the Switch has sold more preorders than the PS4 did prior to launch. Notable because Sweden is typically Playstation territory, and also because the Switch is particularly overpriced there.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »

Maybe the dock is so expensive because it can turn gravity sideways?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I'd say that, held sideways like a normal controller, the Joy-Cons would probably be less comfortable on average, but whether or not the right one specifically would be worse, I have no idea.

Is it bad in all other configurations and situations? Can't say either.

edzepp on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Kriegaffe wrote: »

Maybe the dock is so expensive because it can turn gravity sideways?

Eating one is how I intend to get my super powers.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    It just hit me: how am I gonna connect my balance board?

How am I gonna do my 20 mins of Wii Fit at 6am? On my Wii U? I already do that!

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Giant bomb was bitching about it. But they were almost as salty as this thread, in general. So, just take a pinch of that salt with it

I'm under the impression that Giant Bomb bitches about a lot of things. I watched them play Mario Party on the WiiU and holy shit it was non-stop.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I am going to be quite disappointed if I cannot find a pro controller for launch.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I am just hoping for someone to use the twin joycons to give me a dual stick mech game.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I am going to be quite disappointed if I cannot find a pro controller for launch.

Given Amazon doesn't even have a placeholder page for the Pro controller, that's a distinct possibility.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm under the impression that Giant Bomb bitches about a lot of things. I watched them play Mario Party on the WiiU and holy shit it was non-stop.

To be fair I thought that game was well known to not be very good, that the Bowser mode was way unbalanced in favor of Bowser, and Nintendo still being attached to the "all in one car" concept.

But I've never been a Mario Party person anyway.

I do know that Giant Bomb absolutely loves Mario Maker. Following the various challenges they made among colleagues was awesome. They even popped it in as recently as Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBEVfDy2bpU

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Nah, Giant Bomb gives a pretty good critique of a lot of things and has no problem praising or condemning when appropriate. Mario Party is terrible and they did a feature where they played through all of them so it is understandable they'd be extra salty for that one.

They also mentioned the little extra grip for the joycons had some sliding off problems during certain games, which seems very problematic.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dang, I saw Wonder Boy on that chart of Switch games and thought Nintendo snagged some kind of exclusive Tenacious D game =/

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Given Amazon doesn't even have a placeholder page for the Pro controller, that's a distinct possibility.
    Just saw some news on this front...

The pro controller just cleared FCC yesterday. They can't legally sell it in the US without FCC approval, so that's a pretty good explanation for why we haven't seen much of it yet.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    Dang, I saw Wonder Boy on that chart of Switch games and thought Nintendo snagged some kind of exclusive Tenacious D game =/
    Wonder Boy is a really long-standing series from Sega with a decent sized fanbase. Tenacious D may have been inspired by it.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap looks amazing and has great music, but I have lost all hype for it on any platform when I realized it was a straight remake of the original, which is kind of old school design by now.

Like, look at this glorious style and animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibKf66tVoFw

Now look at it wasted on an endless progression of empty fields full of random assortments of enemies and blocks (from 1:40 on, or 5:30 on):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJ4kqbnga0

In spite of the otherwise-gorgeous art, they've got these checkerboard blocks everywhere because that's an indicator that the mouse can walk up those walls, a holdover from the original.

I don't hate old school games, even loved Wonder Boy in Monster World on the Genesis, but this just looks kind of boring to me. Could just be a mood thing though and later I'll be receptive to it.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Just saw some news on this front...

The pro controller just cleared FCC yesterday. They can't legally sell it in the US without FCC approval, so that's a pretty good explanation for why we haven't seen much of it yet.

Yeesh, that was down to the wire. That thread suggests it's already available for pre-order in Australia, so here's hoping we'll be able to soon.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Best Buy Canada is putting up preorders for Switch accessories at 3ET today.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Looks like Hori has a raised playstand with cable access for charging the switch.
    61Ly9jIq-cL._SL1000_.jpg

I could see myself using something like that on my desk while doing other things. Especially Disgaea or other turn based games.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    yea I'll probably end up with that hori stand when a good turn based game comes. The idea of just sitting that on my coffee table and playing that as I watch TV is kinda neat. I already do that with Civ VI streaming to my laptop.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Looks like Hori has a raised playstand with cable access for charging the switch.
    61Ly9jIq-cL._SL1000_.jpg

I could see myself using something like that on my desk while doing other things. Especially Disgaea or other turn based games.

Hell, get that and a $30 USB-C hdmi/power adapter and we got a dock alternative!

No I don't.
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yea I'll probably end up with that hori stand when a good turn based game comes. The idea of just sitting that on my coffee table and playing that as I watch TV is kinda neat. I already do that with Civ VI streaming to my laptop.

I've lost days of my life to Civ

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      And that Hori stand is only $79.99, a $10 savings!
      I kid, I kid. No idea the price, but it looks fairly cheap (~$10-$15) according to document leaks.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      I picked up the Hori stand.

I don't feel I have immediate need for it but at some point there'll be a game I want to play and watch TV with the wife at the same time.

• Options
      TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
      The Hori stand is on Amazon right now for $13.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    • Options
      Speaking of stands for the Switch, this pic has been making the rounds

jUP9N2G.png

a) it is creepy

b) actually it is brilliant

I've tried to play 3DS in bed and had trouble with holding it for extended periods of time, can't really get comfortable. This...is an idea.
      VyA1Qzc.png

• Options
      that's actually kind of brilliant, though reminds me too much of sitting in a dentist's chair.

I hate dentists.

• Options
      MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
      I wonder if the Switch version of Lego City will fix the load times. Even if it loses the convenience of the GamePad it might be worth double dipping for that.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      edited January 2017
      Mblackwell wrote: »
      I wonder if the Switch version of Lego City will fix the load times. Even if it loses the convenience of the GamePad it might be worth double dipping for that.

I'm not too knowledgeable of the hardware specifics but would just the fact that it's cartridge mean it's faster?

TimFiji on
      Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
        It should/could be, yes.

• Options
        urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
        I'm not convinced it was because of the BD-ROM read speed. I think the game was just poorly optimized and rushed to make the launch window.

• Options
        Lego games tend to be non-optimized in general. I'd hope loading times would be better but I'm not holding my breath.

That said Lego City was loads of fun.

• Options
        willing to bet it will be noticeably faster, but not "omg fast"

Flash media is *that* much faster than BD-ROM read speeds. Hell HDD media is also *that* much faster than BD-ROM. This is why on PS3/PS4/Xbone game installs are nearly mandatory, even for physical media.

• Options
        jothkijothki Registered User regular
        It's kind of a shame that the only source of non-shitty handheld gaming for the next few years is going to be so messy. I'm hoping that at some point they release a smaller version that's just a portable device, since that's really all I'll ever be using it as even at home.

• Options
        wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
        Messy?

This discussion has been closed.