As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    World of Goo, little inferno and human resource machine are launch titles for switch!

http://tomorrowcorporation.com/posts/were-opening-the-tomorrow-corporation-vaults

Thinking about it, were any of these games ever released with gamepad support? If not, could it be possible that these games will only be playable in portal mode (i.e with touch controls)?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Woahhhhh Puyo Puyo Tetris is way too expensive for a tetris game...! $30 on PS4, $40 on Switch for some reason...

Amazon Prime Preorder puts it down to $30ish

Supposedly it's $30 digital on Switch too. Only Switch physical is more expensive.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is Digital only on Switch too? I thought there was a kerfuffle about Puyo Puyo only being available on disc.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Someone should've brought a hub to one of those press events!

Pretty sure they locked those up with security devices so surely someone would have stopped people from trying that. I would have enjoyed seeing that video though.
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    For people still worried about online implementation stuff...this is not proof of how anything works either way, but I consider it evidence that the phone app is not as crucial in online play as previously thought.

There are some pics of the interface too. It looks like all of those options are available in-game, and as discussed earlier, via Nintendo's site it seemed like you would be able to register and manage friends on the console as well.

At this point it sounds like the lobbies discussed in reference to the app are most likely just voice chat lobbies, and not the actual lobbies used in online games.

I don't think any (reasonable) person thought the app would be necessary for online, especially while it's docked. It's the whole talking online and if the app would be necessary when it's in portable mode (although even the portable part seems unlikely, probably just voice).

It's entirely reasonable to think that, based on what Nintendo said.

The app being used for all of that would be dumb but the app only being used for voice chat pretty much kills any chance of people actually using the voice chat.

Hopefully you can actually do a lot of the normal functionality on the device itself for everything, not just certain titles.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    Lego World coming too, now officially confirmed. Great news!!!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Pretty sure they locked those up with security devices so surely someone would have stopped people from trying that. I would have enjoyed seeing that video though.
    For people still worried about online implementation stuff...this is not proof of how anything works either way, but I consider it evidence that the phone app is not as crucial in online play as previously thought.

There are some pics of the interface too. It looks like all of those options are available in-game, and as discussed earlier, via Nintendo's site it seemed like you would be able to register and manage friends on the console as well.

At this point it sounds like the lobbies discussed in reference to the app are most likely just voice chat lobbies, and not the actual lobbies used in online games.

I don't think any (reasonable) person thought the app would be necessary for online, especially while it's docked. It's the whole talking online and if the app would be necessary when it's in portable mode (although even the portable part seems unlikely, probably just voice).

The app being used for all of that would be dumb but the app only being used for voice chat pretty much kills any chance of people actually using the voice chat.

Hopefully you can actually do a lot of the normal functionality on the device itself for everything, not just certain titles.

For a certain segment maybe but we've been using Discord for MH just fine and we'll continue to use this thing.

It's a hurdle, it's kind of annoying, but it's not as apocalyptic as all that.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    urahonky wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Giant bomb was bitching about it. But they were almost as salty as this thread, in general. So, just take a pinch of that salt with it

I'm under the impression that Giant Bomb bitches about a lot of things. I watched them play Mario Party on the WiiU and holy shit it was non-stop.

The nature of the Mario Party Parties (its shown as a Quick Look, but is considered the 10th MPP) is different from every other feature they have done to my knowledge, Shenmue Endurance Run aside. Basically Dan said on their podcast earlier on that he thought all of them playing through the Mario Party games sounded like a fun feature. He put this forth mostly because he loves the series and knows everyone else hates it. That it became a series for them is due to his campaigning of if it despite everyone else's desire to never see it through. Then it was explained in the first Mario Party Party that it got put on their in-office calendar of upcoming events and no one challenged it so it took place as scheduled. On that Mario Party Dan also made the insidious (and humorous) challenge that for every game they should always play 50 turns. Unsurprisingly, this lead to absurdly long sessions of them playing in which they would play the same mini games over and over and over (Pair-A-Sailing for instance, at least 12 times!) and slowly lose their patience and sanity. The Mario Party Parties were never enjoyable for Brad, Jeff, and Drew so much as the Giant Bomb fanbase and Dan because that was how it was always going to play out.

Their playing of Mario Party 10 is actually the least cynical one as Brad, Jeff, and Drew are immediately ecstatic upon seeing that the game length is considerably shortened (it shows one play last 30 min). Dan, on the otherhand, finds this to be a bummer as he earnestly enjoyed their times playing Mario Party together. Some of his feelings probably also had to do with him about to leave the San Francisco office for New York. In a great many respects that video is not a good indication about how much they bitch about things as its something that they all go into with a "making the best of it" approach and being good sports suffering for our enjoyment. It also helps that Premium Subscriptions went up after the first one so any reservations about continuing the series likely fell off at that point.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

For a certain segment maybe but we've been using Discord for MH just fine and we'll continue to use this thing.

It's a hurdle, it's kind of annoying, but it's not as apocalyptic as all that.

No that's exactly what I mean. You won't be chatting with a random person or two because the voice chat app is an extra hurdle and if not required, it will not be used. So if you're hoping to talk to some fun people, group up with some people who you did well with and keep going, that's not gonna happen because everyone's off in discord or whatever and not using the voice chat app.

You just said you use discord. That means you aren't using "the voice chat" by which I meant Nintendo's voice chat.

I mean discord or whatever is definitely the norm these days for a lot of people but when it's built into the game there can at least be some communication with it.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Woahhhhh Puyo Puyo Tetris is way too expensive for a tetris game...! $30 on PS4, $40 on Switch for some reason...

I believe the digital Switch version is $30. I'll get it there because playing puzzle games on a TV screen is WRONG!

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    These are Canadian prices, but here are some accessory prices and availabilities for the Switch on Best Buy Canada.

Joy Con set - $100. can get grey, all red, all blue - comes with grey straps.
    Joy Con L or R, $65. This pricing for individual L or R Joy Con controllers, currently Grey only listed. - comes with strap
    Joy Con strap - $10 for one. Can buy Grey, Blue, and Red
    Pro Controller -$90
    Charging Grip - $40
    official AC adapter - $40
    Official case - $25

for US pricing, drop by roughly 20%

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Is Digital only on Switch too? I thought there was a kerfuffle about Puyo Puyo only being available on disc.

I believe it's only available digitally on Switch, and not PS4.

• Options
    Zython wrote: »

I believe the digital Switch version is $30. I'll get it there because playing puzzle games on a TV screen is WRONG!

Is digital Puyo Puyo confirmed?? Is it digital on PS4 too? I thought there was an issue releasing it digitally because Ubisoft is holding the rights to Tetris in their shitty hands.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Noooooooo

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    A Gematsu article on the Street Fighter Switch game indicates that online matchmaking for it will be available through the Switch itself, no app required :

http://thisgengaming.com/2017/01/24/nintendo-switch-doesnt-need-an-mobile-app-for-online-matchmaking/

edit: which is the point I was trying to make earlier. Just because the online service is done through the app doesn't mean that individual games can't have online functionality like voicechat/friends lists/matchmaking etc.

edit2: also here's the Amazon US link to the Pro Controller, it's not up for sale yet but when it is it will be here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAWKYZ0/

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    A Gematsu article on the Street Fighter Switch game indicates that online matchmaking for it will be available through the Switch itself, no app required :

http://thisgengaming.com/2017/01/24/nintendo-switch-doesnt-need-an-mobile-app-for-online-matchmaking/

edit: which is the point I was trying to make earlier. Just because the online service is done through the app doesn't mean that individual games can't have online functionality like voicechat/friends lists/matchmaking etc.

edit2: also here's the Amazon US link to the Pro Controller, it's not up for sale yet but when it is it will be here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAWKYZ0/

I guess the idea behind the app is to have a workaround should the developer decide not to implement those features themselves for one reason or another?

• Options
    well I mean the working theory is that most games will include basic matchmaking with randoms, but that if you want to actually organize with friends/use voice chat, etc, you have to do that on the app.

Again, we just don't know, because Nintendo cannot communicate effectively.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Nintendo should make an app that gives us all the answers to questions "Directly" to you. It would basically be a magic 8-ball.

"Nintendo, will there be voice chat enabled in-game or only through the app?"
    *Reggie's voice*: "We've got some exciting plans for that, but are waiting for the right time to reveal our plans."

"Nintendo, what does the dock do to be priced so high?"
    *Miyamoto's voice*: -Japanese dialogue-
    *Bill's voice*: Please understand.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Okay, so people frequently bring up that the Switch's lackluster launch lineup isn't all that different from competitors. Which is a fair point: Sony and Microsoft rarely come out of the gate strong, and I think this current generation had some of the weakest launches ever. But there's a big difference here.

The Switch is weaker hardware.

I don't generally give a shit about hardware, as we've hit the point where it's personally more important to aim for aesthetics over chasing the white rabbit of realistic graphics, but hardware does matter. If the hardware isn't up to stuff, then you don't get third party versions of popular titles. If a company cannot easily port their game to your system, then they need a compelling reason to make what is basically a whole new game JUST for you. The Wii saw this, as it did get stripped down ports of shit like Call of Duty, Dead Rising, and Sonic. They were not particularly good, but the system was popular enough that publishers thought it was worth the investment.

This wasn't case for the Wii U. It didn't have that rush of buyers, so it got halfhearted ports of last gen games and was promptly forgotten by third parties. This is why a solid launch is important: you need that hype and crush of early adopters to show to third parties that you're worth the special consideration. Otherwise it doesn't matter how many slides of corporate logos you show me, because in half a year we know those promises of strong third party support will evaporate.

This is why I'm nervous about the Switch, and why I feel like it needed something akin to pokemon at launch. A port of a five-year-old game just echoes the Wii U launch. It is so critically important that Nintendo nail this thing, because you get one first impression, and if they lose it they lose third parties and they're back at square one.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Hey at least people won't think it's an attachment for the Wii!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
      I'm kind of surprised they didn't learn anything from the other 2 consoles that released before them. There was huge public outcry for backwards compatability for the xbone and ps4, so much that both companies immediately said they were going to start working on it.

• Options
      JarsJars Registered User regular
      but people actually owned PS3s and 360s

no one owned wiius

• Options
      AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
      Potent portables potentially parting players' paychecks.

Ahem, ugh, oh man sorry. It was like a sneeze I had to get out.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    • Options
      Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
      Okay, so people frequently bring up that the Switch's lackluster launch lineup isn't all that different from competitors. Which is a fair point: Sony and Microsoft rarely come out of the gate strong, and I think this current generation had some of the weakest launches ever. But there's a big difference here.

I don't generally give a shit about hardware, as we've hit the point where it's personally more important to aim for aesthetics over chasing the white rabbit of realistic graphics, but hardware does matter. If the hardware isn't up to stuff, then you don't get third party versions of popular titles. If a company cannot easily port their game to your system, then they need a compelling reason to make what is basically a whole new game JUST for you. The Wii saw this, as it did get stripped down ports of shit like Call of Duty, Dead Rising, and Sonic. They were not particularly good, but the system was popular enough that publishers thought it was worth the investment.

This wasn't case for the Wii U. It didn't have that rush of buyers, so it got halfhearted ports of last gen games and was promptly forgotten by third parties. This is why a solid launch is important: you need that hype and crush of early adopters to show to third parties that you're worth the special consideration. Otherwise it doesn't matter how many slides of corporate logos you show me, because in half a year we know those promises of strong third party support will evaporate.

This is why I'm nervous about the Switch, and why I feel like it needed something akin to pokemon at launch. A port of a five-year-old game just echoes the Wii U launch. It is so critically important that Nintendo nail this thing, because you get one first impression, and if they lose it they lose third parties and they're back at square one.

Exactly. This is why I wanted to see a Dishonored 2, or something similar, where Nintendo had annointed some third party developer to demonstrate what kind of working relationship might be possible for the Switch. Yes, even a port of Dishonored 2-it's still a relatively new title, aesthetically unique, and isn't a shooty multiplayer fest.

A game like Dishonored 2 would be a minor coup in my opinion, echoing the SNES's 'Play it Loud' MK2 era. No need for exclusives, just something awesome and brazenly un-Nintendo that Nintendo has nevertheless accepted, challenging the conventional wisdom of what is possible on a Nintendo platform.

• Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      I forget which developer said it, but I'd swear I saw one in the last thread that mentioned that developing for the Switch was actually the easiest out of the three current consoles.

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
      edited January 2017
      Just for fun, I looked back at the North American DS's launch lineup:
      Feel the Magic: XY/XX (Sega)
      Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts)
      Ping Pals (THQ)
      Ridge Racer DS (Namco)
      Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
      Sprung (Ubisoft)
      Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt (Nintendo)
      Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
      Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 (Electronic Arts)

That's actually a lot weaker than I remembered. Kirby: Canvas Curse didn't turn up until June of the following year, and Nintendogs was a couple of months after that. Brain Age was April of the year after that.

Not to sell the Switch launch as being better than it is; the DS struggled for a good while there. I remember Nintendogs being the real kicker in sales, and that was almost a year after launch. It does feel like Nintendo's betting on a strategy closer to that of the DS or 3DS versus their more recent home consoles, which has some logic to it: they're going to sell out on day one, there's plenty of time to build up releases before the holiday, and the Switch might be as much of a gamble as the DS was.

OneAngryPossum on
    • Options
      TayaTaya Registered User regular
      The Nintendo DS was an uphill struggle and everyone thought for sure the PSP would be the clear winner.

• Options

What sucks is that the Switch is so close to horsepower parity, but it's far enough away to require a port downgrade. Though I'm sure that reaching actual parity would have upped the price to $350 or so, which would cause its own problems. Blah.

• Options
      OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
      Taya wrote: »
      The Nintendo DS was an uphill struggle and everyone thought for sure the PSP would be the clear winner.

Agreed, but we saw how that turned out. A strong launch clearly isn't absolutely necessary for success, as much as we want to have multiple games worth playing day one.

• Options

Well, at least I'll be able to pick it up on Switch when I eventually buy one. Hopefully Switch gets regular PSN/XBL-like sales on the eShop.

• Options
      EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Goddammit, the power isn't on par?

Yeah, that's the future decided, then. The Wii got by because it was a direction nobody'd seen before, and there was a lot of goodwill left over because Nintendo was Nintendo. Nowadays, it definitely feels like all the goodwill they once had has drained away. This isn't going to get on its feet.

Enlong on
    • Options
      JarsJars Registered User regular
      obviously it's not. did anyone really expect a tablet to be as powerful as a PS4?

• Options
      Heads-up: Amazon has a page for the Pro Controller now.

It's not active for sale, but you can bookmark it.

• Options
      jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
      Jars wrote: »
      obviously it's not. did anyone really expect a tablet to be as powerful as a PS4?

Apparently Enlong did!

tOkYVT2.jpg
    • Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      Enlong wrote: »

Yeah, that's the future decided, then. The Wii got by because it was a direction nobody'd seen before, and there was a lot of goodwill left over because Nintendo was Nintendo. Nowadays, it definitely feels like all the goodwill they once had has drained away. This isn't going to get on its feet.

This same thing is said every gen and it's just as rediculous now as it was all those other times.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • Options
      No, I suppose I didn't.

I think I'm just letting a bad mood bleed over into this and taking a random opportunity to be a downer, however little sense it makes. Sorry. I'll rein it in.

• Options
      edzeppedzepp Registered User regular

Well yeah, once it was obvious what this was, people's expectations for the power were set appropriately. Whether that will make all the difference is debatable.

And you really do have to take a breath on Switch stuff, I think (I mean this in the most sincere, non-condescending way). I understand healthy scepticism, but you've been spilling over into near-despair on occasion recently.

• Options
      oh yea the DS had a terrible launch lineup. and Mario 64 3D ended up being...not all that good, because it forced you to use the thumbstrap stylus thing to control the camera. I remember my hand cramping so bad playing that game.

• Options
      edzepp wrote: »

Well yeah, once it was obvious what this was, people's expectations for the power were set appropriately. Whether that will make all the difference is debatable.

And you really do have to take a breath on Switch stuff, I think (I mean this in the most sincere, non-condescending way). I understand healthy scepticism, but you've been spilling over into near-despair on occasion recently.

Yeah. I need to work on that. At the very least, I need to keep away if I'm in a depressed mood, because giving overly-dramatic speeches doesn't help me at all, and it just makes things worse for those around me and calls attention to me. None of which helps me get out of a bad mood.

Thanks for the concern. I'm gonna work on making it less warranted.

• Options
      edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
      edited January 2017
      It's all good. We all have our issues to work through.

Anyway, the Indie lineup for launch month is looking pretty damn solid. That indie outreach paying dividends. Wouldn't be surprised for another direct covering all this stuff.

edzepp on
    • Options
      XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
      Jars wrote: »

kind of!

I don't know

PS4 tech is about 4 years old now. seemed possible.

This discussion has been closed.