As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

• Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Wasn't there already a 3rd party Joy-Con charging stand? I know I've seen some (concept?) pictures.
    I image there'll be 3rd party grips as well, unless Nintendo can say NO ?

[EDIT] Well, that's a useless pagetopper. (Better answer on previous page.)
    So um ...
    hm.
    I should be getting it this friday? Preordered it in-store at a toy store instead of a gaming store, almost a week after the presentation, and apparently I was the first one? Huh. Also, just Zelda, for now.

Ark Evensong on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    RedTide wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can still preorder this thing?

Nippon-Yasan, but it's going to be a Japanese model and it's gonna be $50 or so more expensive. Also it has to be shipped from Japan.

Edit: however there have been many reports that stores are getting more than enough stock to cover even moderately sized lines on release night/day so you may be ok even if you didn't pre-order, provided you have the time to wait in line. (Don't forget to check with the store beforehand to make sure they'll have enough units)

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I wonder if third party charging grips will be a thing. 30 dollars for a charger passthrough seems nuts (there's no battery in the charging grip, right?) but I don't think it'd be that difficult to make a charger for them? And if you have a spare joycon and need to charge that I guess you have to get a charging grip or something right?

http://www.frys.com/product/9099277?source=google&gclid=CMnohtGFsdICFYIkhgods6gHYA

intead of a grip just alternate on this? or maybe not? also 30$

9099277.01.prod.jpg

Interesting. Can't use them while they charge but you can charge more than one at a time so that's nice.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    You shouldn't be using the Joycons so much on one sitting that charging them while playing is needed. Like, healthwise.

Forgetting to charge them in between playing is a problem though, but that's a problem for everything.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I know there was some discussion of the deal a few pages ago - Gamestop ended the 50%/60% bonus but are still running a 40%/50% bonus on all games/accessories traded in towards Switch games/accessories. They also have a bonus on Wii U trades pushing the console from $75 to $100 when put towards the Switch.

For clarification, the trade-in offer toward the Switch only applies for people with existing pre-orders. And since pre-orders are and have been sold out, the "deal" is useless for the rest of us late schmucks. I'm not sure why it's running through March 19th.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    I know there was some discussion of the deal a few pages ago - Gamestop ended the 50%/60% bonus but are still running a 40%/50% bonus on all games/accessories traded in towards Switch games/accessories. They also have a bonus on Wii U trades pushing the console from $75 to $100 when put towards the Switch.

For clarification, the trade-in offer toward the Switch only applies for people with existing pre-orders. And since pre-orders are and have been sold out, the "deal" is useless for the rest of us late schmucks. I'm not sure why it's running through March 19th.

Sorry - you're right, the Wii U bonus up to $100 only works for reservations. The Game/Accessories one is open for everyone though.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    jesus christ- so many tiny youtube channels are so desperate for switch content.... Todays bitch de jour is making an issue out of the fact that games dont have to support the tv mode.

Its a giant god damn problem that tablet/mobile phone games are easy to port due to this not being restricted? Somehow?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    You shouldn't be using the Joycons so much on one sitting that charging them while playing is needed. Like, healthwise.

Forgetting to charge them in between playing is a problem though, but that's a problem for everything.

Well assuming the battery life estimates for the controllers are accurate at least. (And still crazy, how does nintendo do that with batteries)

But yeah, the forgetting to charge is an issue. Especially if you have more than one for multiplayer. Friend comes over, oh shit it's not charged, I guess we'll just dock these and play singleplayer for a while while we wait for the other pair to charge isn't great.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    jesus christ- so many tiny youtube channels are so desperate for switch content.... Todays bitch de jour is making an issue out of the fact that games dont have to support the tv mode.

Its a giant god damn problem that tablet/mobile phone games are easy to port due to this not being restricted? Somehow?

Smartphone gaming will ruin everything rabble rabble.

To be fair this is a brand-new issue for a game console, but it's an issue that will cause a very small annoyance to a very small portion of the owners at worst.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Smartphone gaming will ruin everything rabble rabble.

To be fair this is a brand-new issue for a game console, but it's an issue that will cause a very small annoyance to a very small portion of the owners at worst.

I mean whats the fraction of people that want to play a phone based touch rythim game on thie 58 inch 3d plasma oled home video wall? Are there folks who will pitch a fit if they cant use candy crush switch on thier tv? i feel like its a preposterously small number.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I think the "smartphone gaming" issue is misunderstood. It's not the fact that it's a possibility that is an issue (there are a lot of good tablet games), it's that there are THOUSANDS^10 of shitty games that will flood the store and make it impossible to find good content. However, I dig the idea @wunderbar suggested of having a "Touchscreen Only" quarantine in the store. I really doubt they're going to do that though, but we can hope!

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    If Blizzard puts Hearthstone on the Switch, which... they HAVE to be considering... that might get me to pull the trigger in a few months. Dunno how you'd play it in TV mode, though. I guess you could just swap between selectable points (cards, board, minions, face) with the joystick, but it really would be best in Switch (tablet) mode.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    If Blizzard puts Hearthstone on the Switch, which... they HAVE to be considering... that might get me to pull the trigger in a few months. Dunno how you'd play it in TV mode, though. I guess you could just swap between selectable points (cards, board, minions, face) with the joystick, but it really would be best in Switch (tablet) mode.

It works for PC for most people, right? You could just use the analog stick to move a hand around your deck.

• Options
    We've heard of one game coming as touchscreen only and all of a sudden it's tens of thousands of games?

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

It works for PC for most people, right? You could just use the analog stick to move a hand around your deck.

Sure, but I just feel like "controlling a cursor with your joystick" is never a popular route, and for good reason, because it can feel slow and imprecise. See: No Man's Sky's interface, Destiny's (which.... was okay, but was never as snappy or natural as it could have been, though it worked for that game).

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Sure, but I just feel like "controlling a cursor with your joystick" is never a popular route, and for good reason, because it can feel slow and imprecise. See: No Man's Sky's interface, Destiny's (which.... was okay, but was never as snappy or natural as it could have been, though it worked for that game).

But if the only other option is "not play hearthstone on my TV" I'm sure people will learn to be okay with it.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

No.

Yeah, I've been in the same boat. I could try a midnight line somewhere, but I don't know if i have that in me. I figure i'll pick one up when i see one, probably at least a few months from now.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, due to time constraints I play maybe 95 percent of my Hearthstone sessions on my iPhone, and it's totally fine.

I'd be up for games that require portable/touch, just so long as we don't get the arbitrary restrictions of, say, Vita TV in reverse. (That is, the restriction's in place ONLY if touch is required.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

I've burned out a controller on many a day. . .or at least gotten a low battery warning from a full charge.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

I'm not happy about it, myself.

I hate playing games on portables. I never want to have to do so again.

If every good portable game ever in history was playable on a TV, I would have been so happy.

The concept of the Switch appeals to me because it's supposed to eliminate the gap between TV games and portable games. That I can just play the next Pokémon or Fire Emblem on a TV is a HUGE game changer for me and the way I like to and want to game.

But now, there's going to be the chance that something I want to play is going to come out and not be playable on the TV. Which flies in the face of one of the biggest reasons I'm onboard with the Switch.

I don't like it. I want the system to be committed to its concept fully and completely.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Mario Maker Switch will probably only let you edit in tablet mode.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Now it's entirely possible that this only is going to be a thing for quick cash-in gatcha bullshit phone games. And whatever to those.

I just don't want a genuinely good game to come out and not support TV.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Now it's entirely possible that this only is going to be a thing for quick cash-in gatcha bullshit phone games. And whatever to those.

I just don't want a genuinely good game to come out and not support TV.

Any indication from Nintendo is that TV and portable modes are going to be the standard. Quick crappy phone ports might do their own thing, but I don't think we have anything to worry about (so far) from major devs in this regard.

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

They wouldn't have a pointer on screen why?

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    You are assuming Nintendo wont curate its store?

You let your store run wild and you get current steam. Not great.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »

Yeah, they could do a pointer like Skyward Sword did, which isn't perfect but usable.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Yeah, they could do a pointer like Skyward Sword did, which isn't perfect but usable.

Let the WiiU tablet sync with it. Bam, done.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      ArcSyn wrote: »

Let the WiiU tablet sync with it. Bam, done.

While that would have been neat, it would require the widi chip they used to be added.

What we need is to get back to the 90s add-on style consoles. WiiU disc drive add-on! Plus this USB micro console drive into your switch stand and connect your tablet controller and play WiiU games!
      Plug this extra long switch game cart into your switch and play any existing DS and 3DS game cart on the touch screen in handheld mode!
      New Switch all day play belt! You'll be playing with power wearing this new 100,000 mAh battery belt with convenient retractable cord! Defeat Ganon anywhere and anytime, at the mall, on a road trip, or even Karen's rooftop party!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      DrezDrez Registered User regular
      CNET as of those inept infomercial people who always have great difficulty with the simplest tasks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPtPIpXwpvs

That is a bunch of garbage.

It's a kickstand. I didn't see them kick the Switch even once.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    • Options
      Drez wrote: »
      CNET as of those inept infomercial people who always have great difficulty with the simplest tasks

its a joke. Its meant to break away. You would not ever push on it how they did.

end result cnet needs clicks

• Options

Excuse me *hack* *hack* *cough* *hack* *wheeze* *cough* *cough* *hack* *hack* *cough* *wheeze* *cough* *wheeze* *pant* *pant* *pant* but you're not my mother. I'll play games as long as I want!

• Options

its a joke. Its meant to break away. You would not ever push on it how they did.

end result cnet needs clicks

Oh well my post definitely wasn't a joke.

• Options
      FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
      Best buy charged my card yesterday, order had been sitting at preparing for a few days before that. Quick call to the credit card company confirmed that the charges would clear.

Itshappening.gif

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

Excuse me *hack* *hack* *cough* *hack* *wheeze* *cough* *cough* *hack* *hack* *cough* *wheeze* *cough* *wheeze* *pant* *pant* *pant* but you're not my mother. I'll play games as long as I want!

Only if you eat your peas

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
        At the very least that kickstand video was informative in showing how much stress it can take. Which is apparently not a lot.

So, y'know, be careful with your $300 product.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
      • Options
        SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

I'm not happy about it, myself.

I hate playing games on portables. I never want to have to do so again.

If every good portable game ever in history was playable on a TV, I would have been so happy.

The concept of the Switch appeals to me because it's supposed to eliminate the gap between TV games and portable games. That I can just play the next Pokémon or Fire Emblem on a TV is a HUGE game changer for me and the way I like to and want to game.

But now, there's going to be the chance that something I want to play is going to come out and not be playable on the TV. Which flies in the face of one of the biggest reasons I'm onboard with the Switch.

I don't like it. I want the system to be committed to its concept fully and completely.

Companies are not looking for reasons to exclude you from buying their game. They will be portable only, only if they absolutely cannot be made with a tv mode. If they can't, then you're probably not missing much anyway.

I'm going to use Meteos as an example again. It's one of my favorite ds games, I think maybe the best action puzzler ever. But they made a version to play on tv without a touchscreen, and it sucked. I wouldn't recommend it, even though I love the game.

sig.gif
      • Options
        WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
        You are assuming Nintendo wont curate its store?

You let your store run wild and you get current steam. Not great.

It depends on how aggressive the curation is. I'm absolutely all for getting great tablet games (hearthstone is a great example of why it shouldn't be ruled out completely) but even the Apple app store and PSN (which are "curated") have so much shit I don't even bother browsing anymore. I can't even find games for my PS4 anymore without wading through pages of Themes and Avatars.

Now that I've talked it out, I'm fine with tablet apps... I just have a problem with "curation" in its current form on pretty much every platform. This is the last I'll say of it though as it isn't the doom and gloom I originally thought. Until we see how they do it!

• Options
        DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
        Darkewolfe wrote: »

No.

Yeah, I've been in the same boat. I could try a midnight line somewhere, but I don't know if i have that in me. I figure i'll pick one up when i see one, probably at least a few months from now.

I actually cancelled my preorder. The launch line-up is light enough that I'm hoping to wait for a cool special edition or even a hardware revision.

What is this I don't even.
      • Options
        SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
        I also don't get why people ever get up in arms about shitty games being on a system. There's been tons of shitty games on every system! It's not new, it's not avoidable, and it's easy to ignore!

sig.gif
      • Options
        Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
        You'd probably be waiting a couple of years for a major hardware revision. That being said given what we've seen I'm more and more convinced that if battery technology or power efficiency can be improved enough in the next few years that we'll see a version with a 1080p screen. Hopefully it'd just be a matter of the new version telling the game it can run at tv resolution.

This discussion has been closed.