As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Holy crap you guys, were only two days away from Switchmas Eve!

I've been trying not to think about it, to make time go by faster, but it's obviously not working.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    three, still another day in feb

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Jars wrote: »
    three, still another day in feb

Two until Switchmas eve, not Switchmas
    My thought process is: Today is over, so Tuesday and Wednesday are two days

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      JarsJars Registered User regular
      hmm tomorrow is the 28th, then the 1st, then the 2nd, then it launches that night. 3 days right?

• Options
      eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
      That's still three because 'switchmas eve' is Thursday.

(She/Her)
    • Options
      DrezDrez Registered User regular
      Today is technically the day after Switchmas Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    • Options
      Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
      I can see why some gaming enthusiasts would view touchscreen-only games as a red flag.

The Blue Ocean market, casual gamers as they're sometimes called, is much more numerous and easier to please with lower budget content than hardcore gaming enthusiasts. It stands to reason that the more Nintendo believes it can tap into that market, the less they need to care about whether their hardcore fans are happy with them or not.

There's a certain perception among gamers that being a Nintendo fan (or a fan of any Japanese gaming company, really) is like being on the losing side of a love triangle. They don't actually want you; they're just willing to settle for you if they can't get their preferred market instead.

• Options
      HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      I've got a puzzle game I am working on that is touch only and if Nintendo said "Yes" I wouldn't hesitate a single second. That being said, I kinda hope they don't allow it. It's an odd instinct I have that rises up in me.

Public Safety Announcement:
      If you're going to a midnight release, try not to go alone, or ya know, protect yourself. Just be cautious out there. These new merch releases can have some ugly situations crop up.

Stay safe. ;)

HallowedFaith on
      I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    • Options
      FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
      Apparently I'm the only person to cancel a preorder at the store I went to. They were kind of stunned.

• Options
      AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      What's this bullshit about handheld mode only games on Switch? Not a big deal, if you ask me. If developers choose to do that, I will simply choose not to buy their software. Their loss, not mine.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Options
      jothkijothki Registered User regular
      I can see why some gaming enthusiasts would view touchscreen-only games as a red flag.

The Blue Ocean market, casual gamers as they're sometimes called, is much more numerous and easier to please with lower budget content than hardcore gaming enthusiasts. It stands to reason that the more Nintendo believes it can tap into that market, the less they need to care about whether their hardcore fans are happy with them or not.

There's a certain perception among gamers that being a Nintendo fan (or a fan of any Japanese gaming company, really) is like being on the losing side of a love triangle. They don't actually want you; they're just willing to settle for you if they can't get their preferred market instead.

As long as the devices are theoretically capable of supporting more complex control schemes, I don't mind that much. The real danger is in conventional handheld gaming just becoming completely impossible due to hardware limitations.

• Options
      NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
      So, I just talked with Best Buy about my orders and everything is still going ahead as normal. Even though my card has not been charged, they say that it's preparing and it won't be charged until I pick it up in store. That's how it has worked previously for me as well, but some of the posts in here had gotten me concerned. If anyone else is doing in-store pickup and it hasn't processed yet, more than likely you're in the Same boat I am.

I got my Xbox One this way as well and it went really smoothly (huge line in store at midnight though - wrapped around the entire store).

• Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Nitsua wrote: »
      So, I just talked with Best Buy about my orders and everything is still going ahead as normal. Even though my card has not been charged, they say that it's preparing and it won't be charged until I pick it up in store. That's how it has worked previously for me as well, but some of the posts in here had gotten me concerned. If anyone else is doing in-store pickup and it hasn't processed yet, more than likely you're in the Same boat I am.

I got my Xbox One this way as well and it went really smoothly (huge line in store at midnight though - wrapped around the entire store).

Cool. I'm doing pickup too.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
      Road Block wrote: »
      You'd probably be waiting a couple of years for a major hardware revision. That being said given what we've seen I'm more and more convinced that if battery technology or power efficiency can be improved enough in the next few years that we'll see a version with a 1080p screen. Hopefully it'd just be a matter of the new version telling the game it can run at tv resolution.

Yeah. Hw revision is unlikely, though early fix for a hw flaw is possible.

Or I just get a cool special edition with, like, monster hunter joycons or something.

What is this I don't even.
    • Options
      Best Buy shipped my pro controller! So the only thing remaining to actually ship is that damn Guardian Amiibo. I'm so fucking giddy now.

• Options
      edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
      I can't wait to here the Switch click live and in person. That sound is the best sound.

• Options
      ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      mojojoeo wrote: »
      Drez wrote: »
      CNET as of those inept infomercial people who always have great difficulty with the simplest tasks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPtPIpXwpvs

That is a bunch of garbage.

It's a kickstand. I didn't see them kick the Switch even once.

its a joke. Its meant to break away. You would not ever push on it how they did.

end result cnet needs clicks

Jeff Bakalar commented on the Beastcast that the kickstand felt flimsy.

The video seems like they're having a bit of fun with it. I laughed.

Lighten up, folks. :rotate:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • Options
      edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
    • Options
      davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
      My local walmart already has the controllers and stuff on the rack and selling them. Is that normal?

I'm torn on whether I grab a Switch right away or wait it out for Mario. Zelda calls pretty heavily though...

• Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Shadowfire wrote: »
      CNET as of those inept infomercial people who always have great difficulty with the simplest tasks

its a joke. Its meant to break away. You would not ever push on it how they did.

Well, everything's flimsy in comparison to what Bakalar usually reviews or reports on: smart refrigerators.

PMAvers on
      persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      I wonder if Switch can connect to 5ghz 802.11n networks. I find it odd how many 802.11n devices I've come across that can't.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Options
      DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
      I wonder if Switch can connect to 5ghz 802.11n networks. I find it odd how many 802.11n devices I've come across that can't.

I'd argue for taking a look at picking up an 802.11ac router in the relatively near future. 802.11ac is really(in my opinion) the first time that wireless networking has been implemented properly in terms of gaming stability. And the Switch will support it.

• Options
      Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
      On the subject of touch only games any chance Nintendo would port their new mobile offerings do we think?

• Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Mobile only games are really not a big deal whatsoever. That basically just means they require the touchscreen to work.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Donnicton wrote: »

I'd argue for taking a look at picking up an 802.11ac router in the relatively near future. 802.11ac is really(in my opinion) the first time that wireless networking has been implemented properly in terms of gaming stability. And the Switch will support it.

If the switch supports 802.11ac, doesn't that mean it would support 5Ghz n? I feel like the hardware is backwards compatible in that way.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      FremFrem Registered User regular
      MNC Dover wrote: »
      Mobile only games are really not a big deal whatsoever. That basically just means they require the touchscreen to work.

Yeah, a few weeks ago, I'd've never thought I'd see anyone complaining that a Nintendo console would have too many games.

• Options
      cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      Frem wrote: »

Yeah, a few weeks ago, I'd've never thought I'd see anyone complaining that a Nintendo console would have too many games.

Any time some poor fool says "smartphone games," it's only a matter of time.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Options
      edited February 2017
      PMAvers wrote: »
      Shadowfire wrote: »

Well, everything's flimsy in comparison to what Bakalar usually reviews or reports on: smart refrigerators.

I've done setup work on one of those $5k Samsung fridges.

It didn't feel sturdy.

Shadowfire on
    • Options
      urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
      Frem wrote: »

Obviously this means the next Zelda game will be touch only and it'll be a big middle finger to hardcore gamerz everywhere.

• Options
      StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      It'd be weird not to put most of Nintendo's mobile library on the Switch. Pokemon Go being an exception given how it'd likely kill the battery too fast.

But Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes would be easy to play in TV mode.

YL9WnCY.png
    • Options
      edited February 2017
      It'd be weird not to put most of Nintendo's mobile library on the Switch. Pokemon Go being an exception given how it'd likely kill the battery too fast.

I think they (for now) want to really make the division pretty distinct. Blur the lines too much and you can lose fidelity of the products. If it is done, I suspect it won't be until several years into the consoles life.

HallowedFaith on
    • Options

I think they (for now) want to really make the division pretty distinct. Blur the lines too much and you can lose fidelity of the products. If it is done, I suspect it won't be until several years into the consoles life.

Yeah, much more likely we'll see a bit of crossover. The Fire Emblem game coming for the Switch will I'm sure have some callout to the FE Heroes, maybe taking a character from it or something, if it's still successful.

• Options
      IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
      Best Buy shipped my pro controller! So the only thing remaining to actually ship is that damn Guardian Amiibo. I'm so fucking giddy now.

All my Best Buy orders are still in pending and my Gamestop BOTW special edition I still have a charge pending on my credit card. Hopefully will start to see some movement to shipping tomorrow

steam_sig.png
      Nintendo ID: Incindium
      PSN: IncindiumX
    • Options
      StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      Places claiming to have Switches for walk-in customers. Please check ahead of time so you're not disappointed.

Gamestop: Says they will have a few. Some are doing midnight launches but there's like no information on their site.
      Target: Site is telling people they will have Switches at 8am Friday. How many? Who knows!
      Best Buy: The place announced they'll have as many as 50 Switches set aside for walk-ins. Some places are doing midnight launches, and you can check their site for that.

YL9WnCY.png
    • Options
      TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
      I suspect that Nintendo bringing their mobile stuff to the Switch is part of the basic plan: don't forget that the "NX" was first discussed at an investor meeting where Nintendo was talking about working on mobile stuff with DeNA. Even if you don't personally like Nintendo's mobile stuff, a Switch with Fire Emblem Heroes, Mario Run, and Miitomo is stronger than a Switch without it.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
      Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    • Options
      Donnicton wrote: »

I don't think I own anything that supports 802.11ac. It's enough of a pain keeping another network going just for my 802.11g stuff, I don't want to add a third network just for a Switch.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Options
      I think the "handhold-only games" issue is easily solved if they just release a Wii U-type gamepad for the Switch so you can leave your Switch connected to the TV but still have a touchscreen controller.

They can call it the Switchpad.

• Options
      Switchception

• Options
      DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
      Any Canadians have their best buy preorder status change? I decided to check it out since everyone was talking about it and clicked the link on the "Status: Pre-order" part and their description seems to indicate they ship stuff on the release date. I suppose I'll survive but it'll be a bummer to miss the weekend though if it does end up shipping on friday.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    • Options
      MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
      I might take the microSD out of my 3DS to save purchasing a new one. I'm belatedly realizing I'm probably never getting anything else for it, so it is preeeetty much just a pokemoon machine.

Steam: Cilantr0
      3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    This discussion has been closed.