As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Transfomers: Rise of the Beast Trailer #2 is out

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited April 2023 in Social Entropy++
So Hasbro is having a pretty interesting fan vote right now. (Prior fan votes brought us the new character Windblade, the new female combiner Victorion, and an upcoming Trypticon toy) Basically fans will vote out of 9 preselected characters on which one will be chosen by the Matrix of Leadership to become the next Prime and leader of Cybertron; this will affect the Generations toyline, the excellent IDW comics and the in production machinima series. The interesting thing here is the lack of the obvious choices (Optimus, Hot Rod/Rodimus, Bumblebee, Starscream (Long Story)) in addition to some super esoteric choices.

power-of-the-primes-poster.jpg
http://transformers.hasbro.com/en-us/combiner-wars/media/transformers-power-of-primes:27F9B879-5056-9047-F5B7-E5C51F996F4A

Let's go over the candidates

Ultra Magnus: Autobot Commander, perennial second-in-command and all-around stick-in-the-mud, Magnus is no stranger to leadership, but he prefers the life of a soldier; following someone else's orders or working alone. He'd rather be the one to make the sacrifice play than order someone else to.

Hound: Autobot Scout and Tracker, Hound finds himself more at home on squishy human Earth than the cold metal planet of Cybertron. He's also the only 1984 Autobot to make the list, which is a bit unusual as one would expect more prominent characters like Prowl or Jazz to be on the list before him.

Arcee: Arcee has been everything from from a Autobot warrior, to a brooding assassin for the Wreckers, and even a vengeful berserker with her own agenda. But no matter what, she's an incredibly capable soldier, skilled in both hand-to-hand combat and an expert sharpshooter. She wouldn't be the first female Prime, but she'd be joining the ranks of a very distinguished few.

Shockwave: Decepticon Commander, Shockwave is ruled by logic. Logic dictated he join Decepticons, either because their philosophy makes more sense to him, or because they're the quickest means to accomplish Shockwave's goals. Logic has, in the past, lead him to heights such as usurping control of the Decepticons, but it has also be used to force him to abandon the position, and he's shown to have difficulty processing the illogical.

Megatron: Supreme Commander of the Decepticons and the most notorious Transformers to ever live. Believing it to be Cybertron's destiny to conquer the galaxy, Megatron has lead the Decepticon war-machine for millions of years, nearly achieving ultimate victory on numerous occasions, though either through the persistence of his enemies, the treachery of his subordinates, or just plain overconfidence, he routinely fails to accomplish his goals. Also, in the IDW comics
He recently abandoned the Decepticon cause and is now working with the Autobots in the name of peace.

Star Saber: Supreme Commander of the Autobots some time after the era of Optimus and Rodimus, Star Saber is a being of extreme conviction. Frequently known as a champion of justice and defender of the defenseless, Star Saber is unyielding in battle against those who stand with Evil. This conviction has occasionally been shown to have a dark side, as Saber's mission can become a zero-tolerance crusade of religious signifiance.

Thunderwing: Decepticon Espionage Agent, Thunderwing is also an incredibly powerful warrior in his own right. He's known to be an exceptional leader, uncharacteristically concerned with the welfare of his underlings. However, he is prone to delusions of grandeur and obsessive tendencies. Thunderwing has more than once pursued his goals to the ruination of everyone around him.

Unknown Evil: The shilloutte appears to be Deathsaurus, the main villain and leader of the Destrons in Transfomers Victory. Deathsaurus was the Decepticon Emperor of Destruction, ruling during the same era as Star Saber. A consummate Decepticon, powerful, cruel and savage. Despite his power, Deathsaurus often avoids direct intervention when possible, delegating to his subordinates, even indulging them in the schemes and backstabbing that comes from the increased autonomy.

Optimus Primal: Maximal Star Captain, Optimus Primal is a young, down-to-earth leader despite being in war he wasn't expecting. Primal strongly believes in Maximal honor and justice, but isn't above bending the rules when the situation requires it. Primal is not revered by his subordinates in the way his namesake was, but his determination and leadership can quickly earn the respect of even his enemies.

Anywho, there's also a movie coming out, which looks about on par with previous movies. Although if they actually address why so much cybertronian crap somehow makes it way to Earth time and time again, I will be pleased.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLA6cpLwr6A

Undead Scottsman on

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    PRIMAL FTW!

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    the new female combiner Victorion

I hadn't heard about this so I googled her and was reminded why I enjoy TFWiki so much despite abysmal loading

uxqTJos.jpg

2x39jD4.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    My 3 votes are for Arcee, Primal, and Megatron.

Arcee because Ultra Magnus is a little too stuffy and I don't wnat to see him become top of the political food chain. He's much more entertaining in the thick of things.

Primal, because I never heard of Thunderwing and I don't trust "Mysterious shadowy bad guy"

And Megatron, because I would legitimately like to see how how Megatron has changed such that the Matrix of Leadership would choose him, and how he would go about helping Cybertron.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Oh God. I just realized that, in a few months, it'll be ten years since the last Watchable Transformers film came out.

uuuuuuuugh

why can't I stop getting older

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I went with Arcee (Her, Hound and Ultra Magnus all had similar "Is a good person who wants to help people" profiles, so might as well get a female Prime out of it.)

I voted Primal for Chaos (Thunderwing is a monster and Deathsaurus is no saint either) and Star Saber for Order, though I wouldn't mind seeing Megatron win that one. Maybe even Shockwave. Star Saber kinda got a raw deal in IDW, which was basically his only real US appearance so far.

Hoping Arcee takes it.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I was all about Arcee taking this but fuckin' Optimus Primal is around?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

By the way, what's the deal with Arcee lately?

Last one I knew about was the 2013 bit that Furman did, which I thought was really neat, but understandably caused a bit of controversy, most of which was to do with her origin and what it meant in light of there being no other women cybertronians.

Is that still the version we've got going, or have they retconned that one out by now?

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Transfomers is killing me.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Transfomers is killing me.

Well that's why there are signs warning you to stay away from them if you're not a trained professional. You gotta wear protective gear when that much voltage and current is involved.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I was all about Arcee taking this but fuckin' Optimus Primal is around?

IDW seems to be gearing up for a upcoming war with beasts (Hur Hur) so he'll probably get introduced during that. I wouldn't be surprised to find Beast Wars to be the theme that follows the Prime Trilogy (Combiner Wars, Titans Return, Power of the Primes)
    Goatmon wrote: »
    By the way, what's the deal with Arcee lately?

Last one I knew about was the 2013 bit that Furman did, which I thought was really neat, but understandably caused a bit of controversy, most of which was to do with her origin and what it meant in light of there being no other women cybertronians.

Is that still the version we've got going, or have they retconned that one out by now?

It's still that version, though now that they've introduced the concept of female Transformers being a thing, including an entire colony of female Transformers, which is where Windblade, Chromia and Nautica come from. They retconned this by saying Jhiaxus was reintroducing female Transformers onto Cybertron rather than creating them from whole cloth. Arcee herself seems to have chilled out a bit now that there are others running around.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Honor: Arcee. Hound and Magnus seem to be ideal seconds, the bots who can take broad stroke objectives and crunch them down to plans for their subordinates but (in the incarnations I've seen) don't seem like they're good at coming up with the broad stroke objectives for a long game.
    Chaos: Primal, hard to vote for a name like "Unknown Evil", and I'm not familiar with the other guy.
    Order: Shockwave, it seemed logical at the time.

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Hound, (Be nice to see him in more things)
    Unknown Evil, (not seen/read anything with either Thunderwing or Optimus Primal so its just a random choice
    Megatron. Just going by IDW here. Because what they are doing with megatron is great and not only entertaining as fuck (Co-captaining a ship with Rodimus) but bringing depth to him and I want that to continue

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I miss reading the IDW comics

also Last Stand of the Wreckers might be one of the best stories about war ever written

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Arcee could possibly make for a morally ambiguous Prime, which would be very interesting. I could not have a full picture of her character though, I just remember a plot point in the IDW comics where she assassinated a Decepticon leader in the early issues.

I will be forever bitter that High Moon is stuck making COD maps instead of giving us another Cybertron game (one wherein we could have possibly seen a kickass Arcee level).

Equally bitter that the PS4 version of Fall of Cybertron is still somehow $50.

Arcee mellowed out a bit and is now a subcommander to Optimus on Earth, IIRC.

I would love a new Cybertron game. (Especially if they just went and decided it was its own continuity instead of shoving it into the Prime/Robots in Disguise universe). Between High Moon and Raven, Call of Duty/Activision has a lot to answer for.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Arcee, Primal, Shockwave.

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Why hello Transformers how nice to see you again.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Ulta Magnus, Optimus Primal and Star Saber.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I'm torn. On one hand, I want to see Arcee be the second lady Prime.
    On the other, I really want to see what Megatron as he is in IDW's comics be Prime. However I really like what they're doing with him in MTMtE/Lost Light and I don't want to lose that. It's going to be extremely interesting and has been good since Roberts has been left alone to write a comic without too much meddling after Dark Cybertron.

I wouldn't vote for Star Saber. Not based on who he is in the comics.

At the same time, I hope the toys mostly get to do their thing and the comics are left alone, but so far it seems the Optimus Prime focused ones get hit with the toy line requirements.

edited January 2017
    I think Star Saber could have potential if they give him a path to redemption; maybe have him get the Matrix, it rejects him and realizes that in his zealotry that he's lost his way, and is forced to put his past deeds into a new perspective and with his newfound clarity the Matrix accepts him, affirming that his new, less asshole path is the righteous one. This could have the added boone of him not being the flawless in his new devotion and trying to stick to the path despite his past tendancies becomes a potential avenue for storytelling.

Or maybe he just starts a holy war.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Arcee for everything

I thought Arsenel Prime was a good name, but then she showed up in the peace category.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm not clear why Primal falls under Chaos

edited January 2017
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm not clear why Primal falls under Chaos

He tends to go ape when working under pressure.

Goatmon on

edited January 2017
    His bio mentions he is "King of the Beast Planet Eurikas" which is an IDW thing, so they're probably going with a slightly different version of him than the one from Beast Wars. (He'll probably be the lighter side of Chaos; Noble king of a savage world and all that)

Which is weird because the version of Star Saber they describe is his Victory version rather than the IDW version.

Undead Scottsman on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    This is such a weird thing. Hasbro has been really heavy handed with the IDW comics recently and I don't like it one bit.

Edit: also why do so many of those character portraits look really off-model?

Delzhand on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I think Star Saber could have potential if they give him a path to redemption; maybe have him get the Matrix, it rejects him and realizes that in his zealotry that he's lost his way, and is forced to put his past deeds into a new perspective and with his newfound clarity the Matrix accepts him, affirming that his new, less asshole path is the righteous one. This could have the added boone of him not being the flawless in his new devotion and trying to stick to the path despite his past tendancies becomes a potential avenue for storytelling.

Or maybe he just starts a holy war.

You know what could be amazing?

He gets the matrix, gets a message of peace...

And decides this is because he was so good at holy warring that now Cybertron is primed for the nice guy route. No regret over his past actions, he's just done with those, moved on to the next thing, why are you dwelling on the past?

Not even a total monster trying for redemption. A total monster putting the monster thing on pause and wondering why people are making such a big deal out of things?

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I haven't really kept up with the comics since MTMTE ended. How have they been since then?

And I hadn't read the other ongoing since they went back to earth. My enjoyment of Transformers media tends to scale in the other direction proportional to the number of humans in it.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I changed my vote. I had only considered the possible toys when I voted, not the IDW series.

Hound, Optimus Primal and Megatron.

Hound because I want him to get more spotlight in the comics and other series. It might also push Takra into releasing Masterpiece figure of him.

Optimus Primal remained the same because in Beast Wars he was probably my favourite Optimus after G1.

Megatron got my vote because he's redemption in the IDW comics is really great, and it'd be interesting to see how being a prime would change him.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    my vote is for arcee or primal. primarily because neither should have any impact on MtMtE, which is a precious jewel which needs to remain unsullied by crossovers and corporate meddling.

although saying that the MtMtE revolution special was one of the best comics of last year.

edited January 2017
    Somebody had a good theory about Star Saber. IDW spoilers
    In homage to the original toy, he could have a load bearing spark like Ultra Magnus and thus "Star Saber" is simply a persona worn by many different bots through the ages. Hence the disparity between his IDW portrayal and his bio.

Also, don't forget you can vote daily!

Undead Scottsman on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    That Forged to Fight mobile game coming in the spring looks pretty awesome. It's made by the team that did the Marvel game, I think, but it looks to have a little more depth to it.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    speaking solely as a Toy guy

Calling Shockwave since he's a fan favorite.

Primal would be cool because it means a new Optimal Optimus mold maybe?

Arcee would maybe allow an Elita one retool . . .

Tough choice

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Aw, Arcee didn't make the list.

Honor - Ultra Magnus (Seriously, what?)

Chaos - Optimus Primal

Order - Star Saber

Wildcard - Unknown Evil

Not sure who I'd vote for now, honestly.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Unknown Evil should win, but they have to be officially named Unknown Evil

liEt3nH.png
    If I could be sure that he'd be the portrayal as described in the vote, I'd go with Star Saber; but I don't want the zealot Saber from IDW to win. If they were going to do the load bearing spark thing or have him get a change of heart, I'd be down.

Definitely don't want "Unknown Evil", Ultra Magnus is better as not the leader (especially IDW) and Optimus Primal always struck me as being cool BECAUSE he wasn't the supreme commander. Though if it's "King of Eurakis" then that's already out the window.

So Primal or Saber. Hmm...

Watch as the wild card wins

YYEEEEEEEEEEHAAAW!

Seriously though, this is tough.

Ultra Magnus probably wouldn't make a great Prime, but damn it he's so cool looking and fuck Hot Rod for stealing his chance in the movie.

Optimus Primal is basically the perfect Prime, based on his idealistic personality and cheerful manner in the 90s cartoon.

Star Saber could either be an evil Prime if he's the same as his last appearance from the IDW comic, or a someone looking for redemption. Honestly, he feels more like a wild card than the actual wild card.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Well he's an interesting idea, Optimus Primal becomes Prime. Now suddenly Cybertronians have to deal with someone being Prime (i.e. top dog) who isn't even from their planet.
    Lots of potential for good stories there in the IDW verse anyway

How does Optimus react to not being Prime anymore, does he once again become Orion Pax supercop?
    How does Starscream try to hold onto his position as Cybetron's leader or does he finally get dethroned
    Do the Decepticons start agitating against another Prime (remember they hate Primes). Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo?
    How do the Autobots react to an outsider coming in and being Prime (with presumably his own supporters) when at the moment they pretty much hold all the best jobs and run most of the government of Cybertron.
    Not to mention that there's been an undercurrent of beast formers being treated shittily by regular bots.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Optimus Primal wins, thousands flock to the streets in protest, unifying under a single cry, their creed etched in the signs they hold

"trukk, not munky"

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Thank Primus it's not Megatron.