As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transfomers: Rise of the Beast Trailer #2 is out

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    He's a retool of Titans Return Mindwipe, seemingly minus the Titan Master gimmick, just like all the other Collaborative figures are retools of pre-existing figures (save for Maverick).

And JP93.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The Galvatron I ordered directly from Hasbro Pulse still managed to have the incorrectly assembled shoulders.

Today I fixed them making use of a special tool called a flat head screwdriver on a Swiss Army knife to jam it into the shoulder blade and rock it back and forth a bunch until the pin loosened and I could pull the arm off the shoulder, flip it around, and put it back.

I wouldn’t have bothered, since it doesn’t look terrible if you rotate the piece around with the pin in the front, but I realized that the arms parts don’t fully click together during transformation when the wrong way around.

It was a bit worrying since you really have to use a bit of force on the parts.

Also got Tracks, who is fine, and the Ark, which is large. The Ark’s hands are kinda rubbish and I hope someone makes third party replacements. I think I am going to paint the micro Optimus Prime that comes with the Ark.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    He's a retool of Titans Return Mindwipe, seemingly minus the Titan Master gimmick, just like all the other Collaborative figures are retools of pre-existing figures (save for Maverick).

And JP93.

I thought he was a retool of Hound?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I am

SO HYPE

for the '86 Cyclonus Armada that I'm very, very tempted to buy Scourge just so I can have the pair.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Today while watching my dad with my folks, I caught the first hour or so of Transformers: The Last Knight on "sci fi." So far, I haven't seen it, but I've been interested in giving it a shot for a few months now. For reference, I got up to the point where Megatron goes after Yeager in the town that he's rigged with explosives.

I... didn't hate it?

Like. I had a VISCERAL hatred of Age of Extinction. I knew about the "Rape card" thing (probably from Doug Walker). I also had another TF nut friend of mine absolutely tear it apart and set bad vibes for me. And I just could not understand why they went where they did with the plot.

So to see this version of the universe... where the world was stuck in a constant war, where the lines between good guys and bad guys were blurred and you just had the "other," and so on... it seemed alright? I kinda liked the baby dinobots, or what I saw of them, and I liked incorporating transformers tech into various things. I... did not care for the teenage girl being shot like she was, but.. it's Bay, it sucks, what are you gonna do. Also the "gathering a team" splash screens for the decepticons was STUPID. Straight out of something like Armageddon or The Rock or a heist film.

I dunno. There was potential there. Reminded me a lot of C&C: Tiberium Sun, where you had seen the results of the war and the Tiberium spread across the planet and all that. There were still scenes of normalcy on the edges, but they seemed out of place.

I want to finish watching it, naturally. And I also want to see Bumblebee, which I've heard good things about.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Bumblebee is great!

The Last Knight I thought was incredibly incomprehensible. Just an awful mess.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I found it comprehensible, I just hated giving Hot Rod the accent (everything else about him was great), and that it dragged on so long that the ending felt
    more like they ran out of time than left it on a cliffhanger.

I did a mostly spoiler-free(bar what's in the trailers) review of it at the time here.
    (Please forgive the Nostalgia Critic embed; shit hadn't gone down yet, and I forgot it was even there until now.)

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    All the figures I ordered from Hasbro Pulse like last year are starting to ship. Galvatron, Tracks, and the Ark are on their way.

I literally can't remember if I ordered Commander Rodimus Prime somewhere along the line, but.. frankly, I don't care too much. I have the PotP versions which are pretty nice.

I picked up Rodimus and honestly, I'm really disappointed. It's really a voyager class with a big trailer, and the figure itself isn't any bigger than Earthrise Optimus Prime. I think they are asking too much money for what you get, especially when compared to Jetfire and Prime.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    All the figures I ordered from Hasbro Pulse like last year are starting to ship. Galvatron, Tracks, and the Ark are on their way.

I literally can't remember if I ordered Commander Rodimus Prime somewhere along the line, but.. frankly, I don't care too much. I have the PotP versions which are pretty nice.

I picked up Rodimus and honestly, I'm really disappointed. It's really a voyager class with a big trailer, and the figure itself isn't any bigger than Earthrise Optimus Prime. I think they are asking too much money for what you get, especially when compared to Jetfire and Prime.

This is good to know, honestly. Jetfire and Sky Lynx were both so good, but Rodimus... Seems to just be there because of the trailer? Especially if the rumors are true that the next commander will be Motormaster.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I'm loving this Rodimus Prime, personally.

• Options
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    oh hell yeah VW bus transformer

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    That looks like Transformers: Fury Road. Is it set in the Mad Max world?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

Ironhide maybe?

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

That reminds me of this little third party number that was floating around for a while.

s6lmxkiqpx0c.jpg
    lu2kfl8c12ob.jpg

• Options
    Rumor I've heard is that it's Wheeljack, which as a huge Wheeljack stan, I'm okay with.

Helps alleviate the "Alt-mode is a very unique 80's era racing vehicle, complete with specific sponsors." problem with Wheeljack's disguise

1394386286-2014-03-10-disguise.png

• Options
    The 2021 Transformers Hall of Fame vote is up; vote for your favorite Beast Wars S1 character and/or Transformers: Generations: War for Cybertron: Kingdom toy.

Strangely they included the entire Beast Wars S1 cast even though Optimus Primal, Megatron, Waspinator, Dinobot and Blackarachnia are already in the hall of fame.

https://go.hasb.ro/3mOj8l6?fbclid=IwAR19MOda0cRiFJk2I6ycbRav91tFqpcCT8u3pRy6prJMT62wt9-Sjs3VJ28

• Options
    https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/jack-angel-voice-of-g1-ultra-magnus-omega-supreme-and-more-has-passed-away/46410/
    ...he played Ramjet, Smokescreen, Omega Supreme, Astrotrain, Ultra Magnus, Cyclonus (following the death of Roger C. Carmel), Basso Profundo, Katsu Don, Sir Wulf, Professor Terranova and a Sweep.

:/

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Damn.

• Options

Bummer. I've been enjoying the current continuity a lot.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

Bummer. I've been enjoying the current continuity a lot.

Hopefully they'll get to wrap up all their major plotlines and not leave anything dangling.

I didn't enjoy this run as much, but that's probably because the last run was so good, it's hard to achieve that level of quality twice in a row.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dang it I just checked koto's site for other reasons not 1 hour ago!

• Options
    Apparently there was a Transformers themed Overwatch knockoff released only in China, and was shut down in 2020. I'm not sure what's worse, that I'll never play it or or that it was apparently a terrible game with some of the power loadouts ripped directly from Overwatch.

I did recently finish the Cybertron games for the first time since basically they came out. The first game took awhile to grab me, but the second one was a lot of fun. It's a very visually dark and angular take on the Transformers aesthetic but I think it holds up pretty well. If the Activision buyout goes through I hope Microsoft relicenses these games and puts them on on backwards compatibility so I don't need to yank my 360 out of storage to play them. Had to buy a used 360 for $55 'cause my old one came out of storage unable to play discs.

There's a rumor that they're going to be releasing new toys of these figures next year. (Store listing for 'War for Cybertron' Studio Series toys) I'll be curious to see if that pans out.

Also the new Transformers show starts on November 11th. Transformers: Earthspark is about the first set of Transformers born on Earth, Twitch (Drone) and Thrash (Motorcycle with sidecar) being trained by the Autobots, while also being raised by a human family they bonded with. The show is set post-War, though there are Decepticon hold-outs, and the main villian is actually a human, Dr. Mandroid, who hates all Cybertronians and wants to rid Earth of them, but hypocritically uses their tech to augment himself.

The show is doing some interesting stuff with the characters
    Megatron is working with Prime and appears to be on friendly terms with humans, but there are still Decepticon hold-outs, including Soundwave who refers to Megatron as a traitor.

Teaser Trailer (Less spoilerly)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to4xwEMccKg

Cool Trailer (Spoilery)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b50HnZP5-M

• Options
    https://youtu.be/XiE38DvpZKI

That looks.. alright, actually?

Like the trailer gets that focus should be on the Transformers at least.

Still tired of that Bumblebee design.

Earthspark is really good. It's definitely a show aimed at kids, but it still has some of the coolest action pieces I've ever seen in an animated Transformers show. First season is fully out on Paramount+.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Notably, I see no sign of Rattrap or Dinobot

I think recasting Garry Chalke as Optimus Primal while keeping Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime is weird

And if there's no David Kaye Megatron, why even bother?

• Options

I think recasting Garry Chalke as Optimus Primal while keeping Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime is weird

There was apparently two scripts they were interested in. One was a Beast Wars movie, the other was a Bumblebee sequel. Apparently they just decided to mash the two ideas together.

It's a move that doesn't inspire confidence, quite frankly. But a handful of Autobots and a handful of Maximals versus the new faction of Terrorcons, lead by a RiD2001 inspired Scourge, isn't something I've seen before so it's got that going for it at least.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I might need to check out EarthSpark

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    What it will say genuinely is I don't remember the last time a first trailer had CG that looked that good (thanks, Marvel).

Also at first glance I kinda like those Beast designs, we'll see how that holds up

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    What it will say genuinely is I don't remember the last time a first trailer had CG that looked that good (thanks, Marvel).

Also at first glance I kinda like those Beast designs, we'll see how that holds up

I like that they are fucking huge.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Tox wrote: »

I like that they are fucking huge.

I'll also be the first to admit I did not care for the original Beast Wars designs, especially the toys. I understood what they were going for I just didn't love it. It looks like the movie designs will be quite a bit less kibble

Tox on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Keep in mind the original Beast Wars characters were wildly out of size too; tiny dinosaurs and giant ass insects and rodents.

Since they're going to be going up against other G1-sized transformers, it makes sense to make them G1-sized. Especially if they're going for the G1 style robotic beasts that didn't fool anyone back in 1984 and sure as shit ain't fooling anyone now. "Robots in Disguise" my ass.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Those were actually the subtlest disguise of all.

Robots...

(big images)
    zivmsfgyq9v3.jpg

vzdj9g8a9xae.jpg

dzsyknjepnbk.jpg

Disguised as robots

GENIUS

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

They know Cullen is the one actor they can't ever replace, and I'm fine with that, let him be in all the things.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

They know Cullen is the one actor they can't ever replace, and I'm fine with that, let him be in all the things.

Eh, I can take or leave Cullen at this point. If he want to keep working, then fine. If he ever decides to stop, that's fine too! Let the guy retire! He's 81!

Just don't recast someone specifically to sound like him. Especially if they're not very good at it. (I'm looking at you, War for Cybertron trilogy)

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I think he is mostly retired Prime seems to be the only role he does unless Eyore is in anything right now

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022

Eh, I can take or leave Cullen at this point. If he want to keep working, then fine. If he ever decides to stop, that's fine too! Let the guy retire! He's 81!

Just don't recast someone specifically to sound like him. Especially if they're not very good at it. (I'm looking at you, War for Cybertron trilogy)

I think he said in an interview he loves doing the role because of all the love he gets for it, but I could be wrong. Either way, he's the only constant in these silly movies, so I'm there for it.
    (I remember it was the most exciting thing in the first Bayformers film trailer.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I think he is mostly retired Prime seems to be the only role he does unless Eyore is in anything right now

Pretty sure he got recast in the last 2 major projects. In that franchise, he’s not the irreplaceable voice actor.

• Options

Pretty sure he got recast in the last 2 major projects. In that franchise, he’s not the irreplaceable voice actor.

Oh sure, just recast Eeyore. Not like anyone would even notice . . .

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular

I think he said in an interview he loves doing the role because of all the love he gets for it, but I could be wrong. Either way, he's the only constant in these silly movies, so I'm there for it.
    (I remember it was the most exciting thing in the first Bayformers film trailer.)

Yeah I heard an interview where he seemed touched with how important a touchstone his voice had become for some fans and I would have to imagine doing voice actor work in big movies is about as awesome a retirement job as one could have.