As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transfomers: Rise of the Beast Trailer #2 is out

• Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    I have some real vague memories from when I was like 10 (so around 1990) of comics with Thunderwing being the only Deception to be able to be a Matrix holder (and actually getting hold of it and corrupting it). I'm assuming that's why he made the list.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    THat's fine I guess.

Toy-wise MP Primal was just recently released so that probably helped. Might make it more likely that we'll get a Transmetal MP but probably not that much more likely. But Perfect Effect is releasing a very nice looking Optimal Optimus soon, so an MP version of that probably isn't particularly necessary. I does make it more likely that they'll make a regular Hasbro release Primal at some point though.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Round 2 is up.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Voted Optimus Primal.

Go Big Bot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L118Zgt9QUQ

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Shared that on a few of my twitter accounts and most definitely voted for my favorite non-barrel slinging gorilla.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Is anyone playing the Forged to Fight closed beta? I'm not but hearing some very positive things about it. Sounds like it's got a lot more going on than something like the Marvel fighting game.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I need to catch up on the IDW comics don't I - left off around a volume or two after Dark Cybertron, which was at least a couple years back by now

• Options
    I'm working my way through the series from scratch. (I had fallen off for a bout a year and then went "Fuck it" and bought the stuff that missed from the post-Furman, pre-MTMTE/RID era, so I'll be giving that a read for the first time.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Honestly, you can skip everything up until Death of Optimus Prime, which was the start of the MTMTE/RID era

MTMTE is consistently great from start to finish, and the followup series Lost Light is off to a strong start

RID doesn't ever really approach the high points of MTMTE, but it's consistently solid, which is more than I can say of the previous IDW series

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Honestly, you can skip everything up until Death of Optimus Prime, which was the start of the MTMTE/RID era

I'm specifically seeking it out despite recommendations not to. (Plus I already bought them) Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Shared that on a few of my twitter accounts and most definitely voted for my favorite non-barrel slinging gorilla.

Primal has barrels for slinging

2 in fact

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    So I was kinda thinking of grabbing another Masterpiece Transformers but was trying to figure out which one. None of the cheaper character lept out to me and other than Soundwave, I don't feel like paying $150-$200 or more for one of the larger ones.

I did have my eye on Road Rage, since she's literally the only female masterpiece toy, which is kind of unique, (she was also on sale, which helped) but I kind of didn't get just want to get her.

I also wanted a Windblade, since I like the character and a fan voted character is kind of cool. I thought about going third party to get a masterpiece sized one, but it strangely doesn't exist, so I had to get a normal sized one. The only one BBTS had was the original from 2014, which was on clearance, so that was cool.

I kinda also wanted an Arcee, but the only Arcee being sold on BBTS was in a two pack with Chromia.

So, long story short, I have a box of four female Transformers headed my way.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    This is the better Windblade figure to be honest.

http://www.robotkingdom.com/transformers/robot-in-disguise/ridtav55.html

My only gripe is the lack of wrist swivel, but at least it can properley stand on it's on, unlike the generations figure.

hcTzPmG.jpg?1

E: Also the Masterpiece Road Rage/Tracks mold isn't the best due to the back having a large gap and the wings rubbing against the shoulders, which can cause them to unlock.

Sideswipe/Red Alert is great, as is Prowl/Bluestreak. Smokescreen has a weird animation accurate head, but you get used to it.

Ratchet is better than Ironhide because the hip panels aren't as noticeable.

Masterpiece Inferno is amazing. The entire ladder folds up inside the chest.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    A great set of lady Transformers is just Victorion.

• Options
    I prefer the Megtronia repaint of Victorian.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Megatronia

Although since I already own Defensor and Bruticus, I'm pretty much done with that mold for now.

I also doubt I'll get anymore combiners unless Takara/Hasbro does a whole new mold, but apart from Predaking or a complete remake of Menasor, I think I'll just stick with the Masterpiece line.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    A great set of lady Transformers is just Victorion.

kdBL3Fs.jpg?1

• Options
    edited February 2017
    New render of the upcoming Trypticon toy

Trypticon.jpg

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    New trailer from Toyfair. First mobile game I've ever found myself looking forward to.

https://youtu.be/QUyxGrtaS8I

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
  • Options
    At least it wasn't Ultra Magnus.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    At least implies we didn't get the best possible option

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »

I feel like your going to be super disappointed when Optimus Primal is nothing like the one from the Beast Wars cartoon.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i mean

does whoever wins really matter?

is the story going to be anywhere but on toy boxes and pack-in comics?

will anyone even know?

i'm not trying to be a dick, i just don't know where this info is even gonna be reflected

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    i mean

does whoever wins really matter?

is the story going to be anywhere but on toy boxes and pack-in comics?

It'll likely be a major part of the IDW comics. Which is both an award winning series in itself, as well as probably one of the best TF fictions ever released.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    IDW has been making transformers comics for a decade, mostly there outside of the stuff you mentioned

• Options
    edited February 2017
    see i didn't know it was gonna be in the mainline comics

i thought it was toyline story thing

because i did not realize they were one and the same

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    now i'm mad shockwave didn't win

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    There's some slight differences in what goes on in the toyline and in the comics. The latest story, Titans Return, involved just two or three characters in the comic getting the Headmasters' treatment. The toyline on the other hand had pretty much every figure released under it as a Headmaster. They even created a modern version of Powermaster Optimus Prime but made it a Headmaster instead with Hi-Q renamed 'Autobot Apex'.

QzaRcxV.jpg

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

I feel like your going to be super disappointed when Optimus Primal is nothing like the one from the Beast Wars cartoon.

Pretty sure I'm not going to be!

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm fine with the result because it means that Lost Light won't have a bunch of executive jerks telling the writers to force a new plotline about Megatron or Ultra Magnus or whoever getting the Matrix. Just let Roberts keep doing his thing. Let them handle that biz in one of the other comics.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, sticking the Executive Meddling in Optimus Prime will keep Lost Light from getting messed up.

Because Lost Light is good.

Also..
    Rodimus' half of the Matrix broke. I wonder how they're going to fix that. I can't remember if they kept the pieces or left them on Luna 1.

And if Ultra Magnus got the Matrix, how would it even fit in Minimus' chest? It's bigger than his chest. I mean, sure it could mass shift to fit inside, but it would just be silly.

Yukira on
  • Options
    Yukira wrote: »
    Yeah, sticking the Executive Meddling in Optimus Prime will keep Lost Light from getting messed up.

Because Lost Light is good.

Also..
    Rodimus' half of the Matrix broke. I wonder how they're going to fix that. I can't remember if they kept the pieces or left them on Luna 1.

And if Ultra Magnus got the Matrix, how would it even fit in Minimus' chest? It's bigger than his chest. I mean, sure it could mass shift to fit inside, but it would just be silly.
    Maybe it would have mass shifting?
    Regardless, I'm happy with how it turned out. I just hope Primal retains some of his charm from the original series.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    So happy Primal won!

Also, one of the crew from my podcast read a rumour about a possible new Beast Wars series. Not sure on the validity or this but we'll be checking into it a bit more.

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So happy Primal won!

Also, one of the crew from my podcast read a rumour about a possible new Beast Wars series. Not sure on the validity or this but we'll be checking into it a bit more.

Beasts wars is about due for something soon. Id prefer a reboot to trying to fix Beast Machine's mess again

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So happy Primal won!

My bullshit meter puts it at a 99% likely to be, well, bullshit.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    So happy Primal won!

My bullshit meter puts it at a 99% likely to be, well, bullshit.

Agreed. Especially given that Hasbro has The Hub now. But when it comes to Beast Wars we try and keep track of any news as it develops. :P

• Options
    Got my new toys in awhile ago and have fiddled with them enough by now to give some thoughts

MP Road Rage: I can see why people dislike this mold. Very gappy and fiddly. I still am not sure if I'm fully transforming her right and she frequently comes apart under minor posing, which is annoying. The fact that her head doesn't snap in or anything is incredibly annoying. Also, I don't like how she doesn't have anyplay to store her accessories (aside from Twincast) in normal vehicle mode. (I love how MP Bumblebee and MP Wheeljack can store all of their shit in vehicle mode). Took forever to finally get her gun to snap into her hand too, though I like how it's big and beefy. Overall, she isn't bad (I like how the figure looks, visually at least) but I'd probably wouldn't have gotten her if I know what I know now.

Generations Arcee: I got a running change version that can't hold her weapons without looking stupid (there are ridges in her hands that prevent the handles from going very far into the hands, so she had to grab everything by the bottom of the handle, looks ridiculous). I'll have to get a small file and fix this at some point. I think the figure looks great, though her face is a little too happy for me. She has decent articulation, but lack of a waste swivel kinda sucks. Biggest downside is how much she is just an action figure with a car shell hanging off her back. Other than her thighs and chest, everything else is a shell that hangs on her back, and doesn't even fold up very well. Transformation is neat though. Biggest upside is she has a LOT of options with her swords and guns. You can holster her guns on her thighs, slap her swords on her forearms, and everything can store in vehicle mode (guns store in her undercarraige, swords on top or side of the vehicle mode). Overall, it's a good first attempt at a G1 Arcee, but the weapon thing is a totally unnecessary problem that never should have left the factory. Need to find a file.

Generations Windblade: Took me FOREVER to figure out how to transform her, due to some parts not feeling like they could move further (her shins) and other parts giving no indication they CAN move (her wings can click a slight turn which is necessary to change between plane and robot). Once that was figured it, she's actually a neat figure with a cool transformation. I love how her VTOL fans can move, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that she can wield her sword with two hands, and also keep the holster on her hip. She has decent poseability and overall looks great, though I hate how "high-heely" her feet are.

Generations Chromia: Given I was basically forced to get her in order to get Arcee, I was surprised that she wound up being my favorite toy of the bunch I got. I was surprised to find she had a geared transformation, until I discovered she was a remold of Transformers Prime Arcee, which makes a lot of sense. She's a little bit smaller and lither than I like (she should be a bit more beefy than Windblade, I feel) and her face is super not what you'd find on a kind of grumpy bodyguard, but she looks great (I love her wheel legs), has a neat transformation, has decent articulation (you have to move her skirt out of the way to get a lot of hip articulation though). Downsides is she basically has half of a bike on her back and it doesn't store away quite perfectly. Her weapon doesn't store in vehicle mode well, either (and it's kind of a nondescript pea-shooter, sadly). Overall, pleasantly surprised.

Aside from MP soundwave, and MAYBE a third party MP-style Cosmos, this probably would be the last set of toys I'd buy in awhile, but then Hasbro announced a new version of Octane (now named Octone I guess) which looks great, and a version of Nautica that looks good. Unfortunately the Nautica toy is only sold in a box set with a bunch of other figures I don't want (Including a G2 Style Optimus Prime that uses the same mold as Octone.) so I'm gonna give Nautica a pass, sadly. Which is a shame, because she's my favorite out of the trio introduced in Dark Cybertron.

• Options
    I hate that the sole female MP figure (Road Rage) is kinda crap. Also would have preferred it to have the original toy mouth plate.

I have the same Version of Generations Arcee and had to cut the ridges off the hands as well. I really do think it would have been a near perfect figure if bottom back pack was detachable to form a shield like what some modders have done. I still like it though because it can pull of some cool poses and the pink, white and black colour scheme looks neat.

With regard to the new Nautica coming out, I'm pretty sure Takara will release it as a stand alone figure with tweaked paintjob, although it'll likely cost a bit more. As an Australian though, importing Takara figures from Japan ends up being cheaper than buying Hasbro figures online, and with faster delivery.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I hate that the sole female MP figure (Road Rage) is kinda crap. Also would have preferred it to have the original toy mouth plate.

Strangely, third party has been pretty lackluster when it comes to female MP-style figures. I think there's one Arcee coming out and she's basically the Generations character, but without the rear car kibble so she looks terrible in vehicle mode (also she has kind of a tiny head). I figured someone would have made an MP-style Windblade by now.
    With regard to the new Nautica coming out, I'm pretty sure Takara will release it as a stand alone figure with tweaked paintjob, although it'll likely cost a bit more. As an Australian though, importing Takara figures from Japan ends up being cheaper than buying Hasbro figures online, and with faster delivery.

Ooh, I didn't think of that. I'd totally be down with spending a bit more to get the figure by herself. Though I'm not sure an IDW exclusive character would sell well in Japan.

• Options
    Heatwave wrote: »

Strangely, third party has been pretty lackluster when it comes to female MP-style figures. I think there's one Arcee coming out and she's basically the Generations character, but without the rear car kibble so she looks terrible in vehicle mode (also she has kind of a tiny head). I figured someone would have made an MP-style Windblade by now.

Ooh, I didn't think of that. I'd totally be down with spending a bit more to get the figure by herself. Though I'm not sure an IDW exclusive character would sell well in Japan.
    Yeah that 3rd party Arcee does look weird with its tiny head

With regards to Takara making IDW verse toys, they did release their version of Generations Chromia and WindBlade, as well as Leader class Ultra Magnus in IDW colours. The only specific instances I can think of where they deviated greatly from the IDW character was repainting the Victorian set into Megatronia and giving Titans Returns Brainstorm a mouth.

P2n5r3l.jpg