As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

overwatch: "please play HotS too" -blizz

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    it's also important from literally just a gameplay perspective

the more diverse you can make your silohouttes the better

there have been a rare few times where i catch one of widow/symmetra/tracer out of the corner of my eye and their looks are juuuuust similar enough that i need an extra half second to register who it is
    I actually really dislike the Mariachi Reaper skin because the hat makes me think it's McCree...

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    human heroes definitely missing parts of their original bodies include:
    Torbjorn
    Ana
    McCree
    Genji
    Reaper
    Soldier: 76
    Junkrat
    Widowmaker

human heroes who probably have missing parts of their original bodies include:
    Reinhardt
    Roadhog
    Sombra (mostly augmentations but I can't imagine she didn't lose something in the process)

this actually leaves only Hanzo as the sole male human hero who isn't missing any limbs that we know of, whereas the vast majority of lady characters have retained most of their original bodies (and I was also mostly being cheeky with including Widow), so reflect on that aspect of character design if you would

of which now only ONE (Zarya) is confirmed to have a different body type to the others

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    So when you get promoted the xp needed to level up is supposed to roll back, right? This is the first time I've promoted and it doesn't feel like I'm levelling up any faster.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

there have been a rare few times where i catch one of widow/symmetra/tracer out of the corner of my eye and their looks are juuuuust similar enough that i need an extra half second to register who it is
    I actually really dislike the Mariachi Reaper skin because the hat makes me think it's McCree...

The special edition no mask reaper skin always makes me confuse him for 76

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    So when you get promoted the xp needed to level up is supposed to roll back, right? This is the first time I've promoted and it doesn't feel like I'm levelling up any faster.

They got rid of that a while ago.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

They changed that a while back. Now every level requires the same amount of XP, but all levels had the number reduced to compensate so that 1-100 is still exactly the same amount of XP.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

I agree with you on this in principle but I HAVE noticed that even if their silhouettes are somewhat similar, you can still distinguish them by their poses and walking animations, which I think is pretty cool!

it's especially clear when you have a Widow or Hanzo wallhack on; the silhouettes can be really distinct

the problem of course is when you're diving into a battle you can't always see their poses/walking animations so clearly; I kinda wish they'd make the girls' FOOTSTEPS more distinct from each other, cuz I have almost no difficulties distinguishing the males based on sound, but some of the women (most notably Widow, Symmetra, and Mercy) have high-heeled clicky shoes that sound identical

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

They got rid of that because people were rolling over and then not playing till an event started to save their fast levels.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    i honestly don't think sombra has a place in the game's current design, even if they keep emphasizing her disabler aspects

That's the conclusion I'm begrudgingly coming to

Like, she's reasonably effective as a counter-flanker. Hack shuts down escape abilities and hacking healthpacks denies them to enemies who aren't in range of their healers.

But then she's got two mobility skills, which seems like it would be pushing you into a more active role, even though she doesn't have the damage to get picks and her hack, while easier to pull off now, doesn't feel like it's as impactful when used offensively rather than defensively

I just don't know if a utility character can fit into a six-slot team, unless that utility is straight up brokenly powerful

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    i honestly don't think sombra has a place in the game's current design, even if they keep emphasizing her disabler aspects

That's the conclusion I'm begrudgingly coming to

Like, she's reasonably effective as a counter-flanker. Hack shuts down escape abilities and hacking healthpacks denies them to enemies who aren't in range of their healers.

But then she's got two mobility skills, which seems like it would be pushing you into a more active role, even though she doesn't have the damage to get picks and her hack, while easier to pull off now, doesn't feel like it's as impactful when used offensively rather than defensively

I just don't know if a utility character can fit into a six-slot team, unless that utility is straight up brokenly powerful

When you combine her damage and the Hack ability...her best position is hanging out behind the Reinhardt shield with everyone else, shutting down anyone trying to jump you

Which then makes her two mobility skills exclusively for trying to get in position to use her ult

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

They changed that a while back. Now every level requires the same amount of XP, but all levels had the number reduced to compensate so that 1-100 is still exactly the same amount of XP.

Bleeeh.

• Options

Bleeeh.

It was because people were promoting and waiting for events so get a bunch of loot boxes really quickly. I know it accidentally happened for me on the Halloween update because that was when I hit my prestige anyway.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

The special edition no mask reaper skin always makes me confuse him for 76

The special editions for 76 and reaper switch which one is wearing a cape and it messed me up for the first two months of the game.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It's not giving me the 3-0 ctf achievement despite multiple 3-0 wins.

edit: okay I got it. Maybe it's a bug involving Dva.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ctf takes everything good about overwatch and throws it out the window

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    Looking at the same pose with her other models, I have a feeling that this is how her model has always looked, and since she was always in bulkier clothes before it just never got noticed. It could be they rigged her like that to somehow make the shape look more 'natural' when wearing bulky jackets, and they didn't really notice it when they put her in something more form-fitting. The back bit of her jacket below the waist also looks strangely flat, which I think would imply the same thing. Like I've definitely seen women who more or less have this shape, but the sort of...direct flatness of it makes me think they didn't mean for her to look like that.

In other news, my free box didn't have shit but my first earned box dropped two new legendaries - Pharah's Mechaqueen and got-dang Reinhardt's Wujing skin. The skin in general is badass, but his hammer is just plain fucking cool. I'm off to one hell of a good start!

Is Wujing Reinhardt's hammer the crescent moon thing that I'm sure has a name that I don't know? That'd be amazing.

It is! And yes, it is *super* amazing

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Literal hours of my life sitting alone in a flag room as an Engineer in tf2 so my team wouldn't instantly lose CTF has instilled a deep, burning hatred of the mode in me, regardless of what game I'm playing.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I got my one ctf win I'm free forever

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Opened 8 loot boxes so far. Rooster Loot includes:

Mei skin
    Zenyatta skin
    Junkrat skin
    Junkrat emote
    Some voice lines and sprays

and a legendary non-event Torbjorn

Prioritizing all the Journey to the West skins (especially Winston) and D.Va's stuff if credits have to become involved

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    also boy do I dislike the word "chubby"

Sorry :(

self described chubby girl here so I didn't really think about it

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    boy I wish you could earn those arcade bonus boxes just from regular quickplay

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    I got Roadhog's new PotG intro. I love it.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

yeah I was thinking about it today

for her to even be medium-effective you have to have perfect coordination with your team

I could see her as being a decent part of a regular competitive crew but I don't think she'll ever be a major force in qp or casual competitive

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Looking at the same pose with her other models, I have a feeling that this is how her model has always looked, and since she was always in bulkier clothes before it just never got noticed. It could be they rigged her like that to somehow make the shape look more 'natural' when wearing bulky jackets, and they didn't really notice it when they put her in something more form-fitting. The back bit of her jacket below the waist also looks strangely flat, which I think would imply the same thing. Like I've definitely seen women who more or less have this shape, but the sort of...direct flatness of it makes me think they didn't mean for her to look like that.

In other news, my free box didn't have shit but my first earned box dropped two new legendaries - Pharah's Mechaqueen and got-dang Reinhardt's Wujing skin. The skin in general is badass, but his hammer is just plain fucking cool. I'm off to one hell of a good start!

Yeah, I would be willing to bet that Mei and every other Overwatch character has their body proportions blocked out in Zbrush even if we only ever see them wearing layers of clothes and a bunch of robot armor. I think the problem with Mei's outfit is the way they set up the rig on the cloth. They seem to air on the side of making sure cloth doesn't clip thorough the body which is good but looks weird up close. If you notice McCree's poncho never touches his left arm. It just sort of floats a few inches off of it. You can also see where the back of Symettra's dress goes form being hard weighted to her rig's root joint to being a jigglebone'd strip of cloth.

Oh and speaking of Blizzard's art pipeline here's a speed painting made by a guy who worked at Blizzard at the time of Overwatch's development if you really want some sort of idea of what Mei's cannon body shape is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCImj18kUO0

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20752795395#post-4

The hero balance changes.

Mostly stuff we already knew.

One thing I think is interesting is that Lucio can now wallride backwards. I didn't here much talk about that and it'll make using his wallride so much easier.

you could actually always do this, kinda? inasmuch that his wallride lockon field is(or was) roughly 90°, so you don't necessarily have to be looking where you're going

i'm excited to test this now though cos if they did make significant changes that's rad
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    human heroes definitely missing parts of their original bodies include:
    Torbjorn
    Ana
    McCree
    Genji
    Reaper
    Soldier: 76
    Junkrat
    Widowmaker

human heroes who probably have missing parts of their original bodies include:
    Reinhardt
    Roadhog
    Sombra (mostly augmentations but I can't imagine she didn't lose something in the process)

this actually leaves only Hanzo as the sole male human hero who isn't missing any limbs that we know of, whereas the vast majority of lady characters have retained most of their original bodies (and I was also mostly being cheeky with including Widow), so reflect on that aspect of character design if you would

of which now only ONE (Zarya) is confirmed to have a different body type to the others

does symm have a robot arm or nah? i know she has visible fingertips in one of her legendaries but idk if that's supposed to be like a prequel type skin

also i've always thought hanzo had prosthetic legs, but it turns out they're just incredibly skinny

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Sym has a robot arm in her default skin but a normal arm with light glove in her vishkar industries office worker skin

also lucio has an entirely mechanical lower half I think

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    I feel like you get more on fire points for healing now

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    The new Winston comic is pretty good.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    CTF is pretty bad. I won the first one and got the box and then had two draws. Crazy to think that any damage stopping flag capture 5 feet from spawn wouldn't work well.

I think a central flag would've been better. At least that sort of goes with the team fight concept.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Sym has a robot arm in her default skin but a normal arm with light glove in her vishkar industries office worker skin

also lucio has an entirely mechanical lower half I think

I feel like they've said somewhere in canon that Sym's thing is a glove and Lucio's legs are a weird exosuit he stole along with the dub step gun

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Glad, Mei thing was just a bug.

I liked her shape cause she's closer to a lot of people I know in real life.

Also to what someone posted earlier fit=/=skinny. There are plenty of fit folks with thicker builds.

• Options
    also i've always thought hanzo had prosthetic legs, but it turns out they're just incredibly skinny

He cut them off so he could withstand very high g-forces

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    the CTF mode seems okay to me, but only as a limited time thing...I would not want it as a regular mode

definitely sounds like making it a capture/carry something at the center would work better though

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I think it's partly a problem of the maps. Because they're KotH maps they're designed so that they're relatively easy to break out of if the enemy team has you pinned down which means it's incredibly easy to turtle up indefinitely after getting an early lead.

Care Free Bomb on
    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Is Wujing Reinhardt's hammer the crescent moon thing that I'm sure has a name that I don't know? That'd be amazing.

It is! And yes, it is *super* amazing

In Chinese it's called a yue ya chan (literally moon/crescent, tooth, spade); in English it's generally called a moon spade or monk's spade.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    I've seen like 4-5 different versions of Journey to the West, you'd think I'd have learned this stuff by now. Even learning the names of people who aren't Sun Wukong took me a while :(

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Ana doesn't even have any depth perception! She doesn't even have a fancy cyber-eye! She's just an old lady with a gun! She shouldn't be able to shoot that good!

well yeah, that's why she can't headshot

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what to make of the CTF mode. Something like 75% of them end in draws, and the only win I had was with a PA crew who coordinated a hard push directly to the flag. Most games are just teams trading 2-3 kills/deaths each with no one really getting near the flag. At least they're over really quickly but all the draws make getting wins a hard prospect.

I've been away from the game for a long time, and man mystery heroes is rough for me. I'm really only good at Mercy, Lucio, Zen, and occasionally D.va and Zarya. Anything else and I'm just a waste of space. For my own sanity I'd be better off sticking to QP so I can play the heroes I'm good at, but I want all the cool event skins. I lose probably 75% of my mystery match games, and I'll take a lot of the blame for that by having to play/learn heroes I'm just awful at.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I like it. Using characters in a different way is a fun puzzle.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
This discussion has been closed.