As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"Big Music"

bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
edited January 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
...I'm possibly misappropriating that as a genre label (from Mike Scott's description of his early stuff with the Waterboys in the 80s). Basically I'm getting right into upbeat, rising / climaxing pop-rock and I'm greedy for suggestions. I guess examples are the best way to demonstrate what I'm talking about:

Some more modern examples:

I need old vinyl LPs to add to my wishlist as well as new albums to stream, so if you have ideas from any era I'm all ears!

sC4Q4nq.jpg
bsjezz on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I quite understand what you're asking for but maybe some of this is relevant.

New stuff:

Old stuff:

bsjezzZilla360firewaterword
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Not sure that I am nailing exactly what you're looking for, but here is a couple of songs that came to mind. It's mostly older stuff.

The B-52's

Simple Minds

a-ha

OMD aka. Orchestral Manœuvres in the Dark

Midnight Oil

Bones heal, glory is forever.
    BillyIdle
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

I don't have courage but I have something else.
  • WordLustWordLust Registered User regular
    Hmm... I'm not sure if I quite understand the request either. Sorta like tracks with an uplifting crescendo? Something like that? Based on my vague and purely intuitive understanding of your meaning, I'll toss out a few...

Maybe these classics...?

This is a kinda obscure one I found like a decade ago. Apparently the band is still making music and touring, but I don't know much else about them. Awesome track, though:

If you are okay with lady pop rock, you can't get much better than Roxette's "Listen To Your Heart".

Fuck yes, I said Roxette

This one isn't really pop rock I don't think, but it's one of my favorite crescendo tracks in all of music. Listening to this song while cruising the interstate at night is a god damn spiritual experience:

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    WordLust wrote: »
    This one isn't really pop rock I don't think, but it's one of my favorite crescendo tracks in all of music. Listening to this song while cruising the interstate at night is a god damn spiritual experience:

check this one out!

Xaquin on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • WordLustWordLust Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    WordLust wrote: »

check this one out!

Hm... didn't like most of the beginning part, but that swell right at the end was very nice!

Xaquin
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    @WordLust I practically demand more lady rock! I'm sure some of Kate Bush's stuff would qualify. @BlindZenDriver's suggestion of the B52s is a good one, but I'd say Roam is a better example of whatever vague and possibly not actually real vibe I'm feeling:

I'm gonna queue up the rest of the suggestions in a playlist today and see what sticks - thanks guys! My examples were thrown together a bit quickly and probably didn't help - maybe just listening to more of this Waterboys record would help:

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I'm basically the New Wave/80's guy so:

The Cars debut album.

Duran Duran best of.

Early U2 is really good.

Here are some examples that I want to share video-wise:

My spotify playlist if you want to check that out:

https://play.spotify.com/user/12147246592/playlist/2q11eV6Ew0VNcJK8LHiKv6

It's a good 26 hours long, I figure there's more than enough there.

PSN: BillyIdle_
    bsjezz
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Gotta say I'm pretty happy with these suggestions! Very few duds, though some hit the sweet spot more than others. For some reason I reckon The Dream Academy especially nails it @WordLust, I'll have to check out their records. I've put a playlist together of everything too so I can listen to them a few more times:

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Dance for the Dying maybe?

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Still a little stumped if I understand the request or not, would Great Big Sea count? upbeat , can be somewhat bombastic in the chorus's?

edit: oo what about Florence and the Machine

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    There is a band I've really loved for a long time and I once read the words 'Wall of Sound' in a review for them. It seemed fitting, to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound

That wikipedia might have links to other older bands that represent that style, but I mostly think or more modern stuff.

This is the band and the specific song I think of when I hear your description

Here is some other similar stuff

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hmm, big music that's pop/rock...

Well on the poppier side you have Coldplay:

On the rockier side there's Kasabian:

Alternatively if a lean more towards EDM wouldn't hurt:

And there's always poppier hip-hop too:

BillyIdle