Options

I love [VIRTUAL REALITY], it's so bad.

196979899100102»

Posts

  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Went to a friend’s for dinner today and he has a Vive. I’ve never played modern VR and had a really good time.

    My wife, who doesn’t really play video games at all, instructed me to get one. So I’m getting one I guess.

    I think the regular Vive makes sense over the Pro, since I’d need a new video card at least for that. Any reason to wait right now or is it worth pulling the trigger?

    Vive pro isn't worth the price unless you need the advanced tracking for a truly huge (more than 4m x 4m) play area.

    There are some new developments in the future (like knuckle controllers for the Vive), but Valve does not have a coherent schedule for when they'll be ready. I'd say you're fine jumping in on the Vive or Rift right now. I'm not as educated on the WMR headset developments, if you're considering those.

    As for Vive vs Rift, they're getting pretty close to equivalent. With a third camera, the Rift's room scale experience seems as good as the Vive's. I went Vive, because the Rift needs extra USB cables to each camera, but the Vive base stations can just plug into any outlet.

    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    We go over this every so often in the thread, but it seems disingenuous to say the capabilities and features are the same. I'd say at this point that the two platforms are extremely similar and you can't really go wrong with either, but they both have some unique features.

    The Vive has the passthrough camera and the tracking emitters which don't need to be USB connected to the PC, and that can be a handy combo for roomscale. The Rift has cooler controllers right now and a bunch of cool looking native games, and is still cheaper I think?

    I still haven't used a Rift, don't know anyone with one. But I know I wouldn't say they're identical.

  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The only meaningful differences is that you get a cheaper price plus the Oculus exclusives without having to mess with Revive for the Rift, and you don't have to hook the Vive lighthouse sensors to USB, which can make setup easier

    in other respects, they are essentially alike. there is no difference in tracking capability in real life situations.

    Dhalphir on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    You need to stop dismissing the opinions of others just because you don't agree with them

  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Tracking capabilities are not an area that opinions come into.

  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    You need to stop dismissing the opinions of others just because you don't agree with them

    I mean, I don't think he's dismissing anyone's opinion? He's just pointing out facts. It's true that room-scale tracking is essentially identical between the two of them. It's also true that Rift is cheaper and has better controllers and better native support. Additionally, yes, the USB Sensor setup on the Rift is a pain in the ass and the Vive Lighthouse sensors are way easier. Those are all true things.

    It really doesn't matter, either way it'll be a good experience. But it's fair to address the advantages and disadvantages where they exist so people looking into it can make an informed decision.

    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    The difference in controllers right now are enough for me to completely recommend the rift over the vive. If the knuckles come out that could change, but the wands feel so inferior, it's not even a question in my mind. That said I'm still waiting on buying a setup to see what the knuckles are like, or if one of the high fov headsets actually make it to market

  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Tracking capabilities are not an area that opinions come into.

    You know exactly what I'm talking about, and it wasn't tracking capabilities. Just because you don't think a feature or lack thereof is a "meaningful difference" doesn't mean you get to disregard the opinions of others on what meaningful differences are.

  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The only thing you asserted as a difference which I dismiss as meaningful is the pass through camera, because it's a super niche use that very few people get use out of. That's not my opinion, that's based on the fact that nobody ever talks about the pass through camera. If it was a useful thing people used all the time, it'd be talked about all the time too, but even on the Vive communities it hardly ever gets mentioned as a selling point, ergo it's clearly not useful for most Vive owners.

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Rius wrote: »
    We go over this every so often in the thread, but it seems disingenuous to say the capabilities and features are the same. I'd say at this point that the two platforms are extremely similar and you can't really go wrong with either, but they both have some unique features.

    The Vive has the passthrough camera and the tracking emitters which don't need to be USB connected to the PC, and that can be a handy combo for roomscale. The Rift has cooler controllers right now and a bunch of cool looking native games, and is still cheaper I think?

    I still haven't used a Rift, don't know anyone with one. But I know I wouldn't say they're identical.

    I mean... You say it's disingenuous to say they are mostly the same, and then list off the 2-3 minor differences. Everything else basically is the same.

    I don't think it makes your point as much as you think?

    Both pieces of hardware are cool! It's not a bad thing to point out to someone new to VR that, "hey, you should take a look at both of them in case one of the few differences is enough to sway you one way or another"

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I get a ton of use out of it, both when using the Vive myself and when demoing it to friends and family. It's one of the first things I tell people how to turn on, so they can see me when we're having conversations without them having to take off the headset and put it back on again.

    I find it useful and I think it's meaningful, and I like to mention it in comparisons between the headsets because others might find it useful and meaningful. Given that the differences between the headsets are pretty minor and getting less significant as time goes by, this is a notable hardware-based one that will remain a difference between them until Rift 2.0 comes out, assuming it includes one. Also it's pretty cool.
    kime wrote: »
    Both pieces of hardware are cool! It's not a bad thing to point out to someone new to VR that, "hey, you should take a look at both of them in case one of the few differences is enough to sway you one way or another"

    This is literally what I did; I said "here are some of the few differences between them." I was then dismissed repeatedly by him for the crime of bringing up an actual concrete hardware difference between the two.

    Rius on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Atheraal wrote: »
    That said I'm still waiting on buying a setup to see what the knuckles are like

    I wouldn't bother doing this, we're no closer to an actual product announcement of knuckles controllers than we were in October 2016 when the news of them first broke.

    Dhalphir on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    That's not true, didn't you see all those videos that came out of devs playing with prototypes they got sent last year? Also I have no problem even waiting til next year, VR is cool right now but not quite cool enough for me to drop cash on a computer and headset yet. I wouldn't mind getting started on developing for it, but meh. Tools and solutions are only going to get easier and better, may as well wait.

  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Rius wrote: »
    I get a ton of use out of it, both when using the Vive myself and when demoing it to friends and family. It's one of the first things I tell people how to turn on, so they can see me when we're having conversations without them having to take off the headset and put it back on again.

    I find it useful and I think it's meaningful, and I like to mention it in comparisons between the headsets because others might find it useful and meaningful. Given that the differences between the headsets are pretty minor and getting less significant as time goes by, this is a notable hardware-based one that will remain a difference between them until Rift 2.0 comes out, assuming it includes one. Also it's pretty cool.
    kime wrote: »
    Both pieces of hardware are cool! It's not a bad thing to point out to someone new to VR that, "hey, you should take a look at both of them in case one of the few differences is enough to sway you one way or another"

    This is literally what I did; I said "here are some of the few differences between them." I was then dismissed repeatedly by him for the crime of bringing up an actual concrete hardware difference between the two.

    People are allowed to disagree with you, you know. You're not being dismissed. You're being disagreed with.

    EDIT: Eh, I think that point is good. The differences have already been described.

    Nova_C on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Anyone have a good audio split solution? I have the Vive and a schiit stack (USB audio) I want to pipe through so the nonplayer can still observe. Nothing is reliably working

  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    SteamVR can do that for you. Open up the settings and look at the audio tab. There's a setting to mirror audio when the Vive is connected.

    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Atheraal wrote: »
    That's not true, didn't you see all those videos that came out of devs playing with prototypes they got sent last year?
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    no closer to an actual product announcement of knuckles controllers than we were in October 2016 when the news of them first broke.

    People were playing with Oculus Touch prototypes in 2015 and the release wasn't until the end of the following year.

    Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Atheraal wrote: »
    That's not true, didn't you see all those videos that came out of devs playing with prototypes they got sent last year?
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    no closer to an actual product announcement of knuckles controllers than we were in October 2016 when the news of them first broke.

    People were playing with Oculus Touch prototypes in 2015 and the release wasn't until the end of the following year.

    So by that logic we're.. Pretty close now? Not really sure what you're arguing here

  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Atheraal wrote: »
    That's not true, didn't you see all those videos that came out of devs playing with prototypes they got sent last year?
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    no closer to an actual product announcement of knuckles controllers than we were in October 2016 when the news of them first broke.

    People were playing with Oculus Touch prototypes in 2015 and the release wasn't until the end of the following year.

    So by that logic we're.. Pretty close now? Not really sure what you're arguing here

    People were saying to wait for Knuckles controllers as far back as April 2016 when the Vive first came out. It's idiotic to wait for anything unless you have SOME idea of its release schedule. If you make decisions about when to buy and when to wait based on upcoming prototype tech then you will always be waiting because for any given consumer device there is ALWAYS a prototype that's 10x as advanced.

  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Give me a date already PSVR Beat Saber I needs it

  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Atheraal wrote: »
    That's not true, didn't you see all those videos that came out of devs playing with prototypes they got sent last year?
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    no closer to an actual product announcement of knuckles controllers than we were in October 2016 when the news of them first broke.

    People were playing with Oculus Touch prototypes in 2015 and the release wasn't until the end of the following year.

    So by that logic we're.. Pretty close now? Not really sure what you're arguing here

    People were saying to wait for Knuckles controllers as far back as April 2016 when the Vive first came out. It's idiotic to wait for anything unless you have SOME idea of its release schedule. If you make decisions about when to buy and when to wait based on upcoming prototype tech then you will always be waiting because for any given consumer device there is ALWAYS a prototype that's 10x as advanced.

    Yeah I guess, but the current tech is simply not worth the money to me yet

    I also want to see how the Vive Focus does here, and if they get a good 6dof controller working with it. I'm kind of tempted to get two of those and a mediocre laptop to develop on instead of one high end headset and comp. Not if there's only a 3dof clicker like the other standalone headsets though

  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Shouldn't we make a new thread like 3 pages ago?

    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Shouldn't we make a new thread like 3 pages ago?

    I went ahead and made a new one, and I'll PM some mods to close this one.

    JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.