Options

I love [VIRTUAL REALITY], it's so bad.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Anyone else played RE7 in vr? I really want to know other people who've had experience with vr' experience with it.

Personally I felt like everything was tiny. It's th eonly psvr game I've played so I don't kow if that's just the way it is. but I felt like I was 3 feet tall or so moving around a house that was scaled down to my size? Was very strange.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Ceiling mounting isn't super easy for me since I have stipling on my ceiling. I was going to mount the sensors to the wall. Will have to figure out something better.

I have stippled ceilings as well, and use a couple of these along with a couple of camera clamp mounts. You can find much cheaper alternatives for the tension poles, I just went with those (when they weren't as expensive) because I wanted them black to match the rest of the room. :P

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Are there any programs that could be used in an educational context for vr yet? I've seen a few sculpting and drawing programs but not much that I could see using in a classroom. I'd love to see some sort of like, build a pc simulator in vr but haven't seen just a long these lines.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Anyone else played RE7 in vr? I really want to know other people who've had experience with vr' experience with it.

Personally I felt like everything was tiny. It's th eonly psvr game I've played so I don't kow if that's just the way it is. but I felt like I was 3 feet tall or so moving around a house that was scaled down to my size? Was very strange.

I'm about halfway through it playing it exclusively in VR. I hear that complaint about it a lot, but to me personally it feels perfect.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

I've heard that this is sometimes caused by an improper IPD (InterPupilary Distance) setting. The PSVR is a lot like the first Macintosh machines - all of the fiddly bits are kinda hidden and if you need to dink with them it can be a bit rough.

You can access this setting from the XMB under Settings->PSVR. Unfortunately, it's not just a value you can enter, the setup process takes a picture of your eyes and then you are supposed to put two different cursors in the center of your pupils in the images and it (supposedly) calculates the IPD from there. (I.E. "Our users are not smart enough to use a number, we will force them to use a Wizard!")

If the virtual world is too small, try setting the IPD lower. To reduce the IPD, you should move the two cursors towards each other. Each "click" of the cursors represents 1mm of IPD and the setup tool allows for a range of 48 to 78mm.

Good luck!

26904.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I tried the Arizona Sunshine locomotion update just now.

As much as I think the game didn't need joystick locomotion, that the teleporting worked fine, I do quite like it. I'm not too bothered by sickness anymore, apparently, so it actually works well for me. I would suggest nobody start with it unless they know themselves to be immune, though.

However, there's definitely some balance issues. I tried the co-op mode. People who use teleportation have a restriction during combat with zombies that you cannot teleport infinitely, you have a teleport stamina meter which limits how often you can do it. However, you can easily outrun even the fast zombies with one or two teleports, and that makes them much less threatening.

However, people who use locomotion have an advantage too, because you can slowly backpedal while firing, which makes hordes of slow zombies far less threatening since even if you're a bad shot, you have far more time to work your way through them.

The biggest thing, however, is that people with teleport are able to move around large areas much, much faster out of combat. Even the sprint is not quick enough to keep up. They couldn't make the sprint any faster, because otherwise you'd feel unnaturally fast, almost superhuman, and that's not what the game is about. So someone who teleports and someone who uses walking movement can't really play together, because the person who teleports will constantly be having to stop and wait for their partner, or leave them behind.

It's great that the devs put the option in, but it does also do a good job of demonstrating why it's not as simple as "Just give people the choice". The game was designed for teleport, and it shows, and I don't think you could design a game for both - one or the other movement method would always feel like a slightly suboptimal experience, like the walking locomotion does in Arizona.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »

I've heard that this is sometimes caused by an improper IPD (InterPupilary Distance) setting. The PSVR is a lot like the first Macintosh machines - all of the fiddly bits are kinda hidden and if you need to dink with them it can be a bit rough.

You can access this setting from the XMB under Settings->PSVR. Unfortunately, it's not just a value you can enter, the setup process takes a picture of your eyes and then you are supposed to put two different cursors in the center of your pupils in the images and it (supposedly) calculates the IPD from there. (I.E. "Our users are not smart enough to use a number, we will force them to use a Wizard!")

If the virtual world is too small, try setting the IPD lower. To reduce the IPD, you should move the two cursors towards each other. Each "click" of the cursors represents 1mm of IPD and the setup tool allows for a range of 48 to 78mm.

Good luck!

Yeah, I was a bit annoyed that I wasn't able to set the IPD manually since I know what mine is from my ophthalmologist.The PSVR reading was only off 2mm and I haven't noticed any problems at that slight difference.

Do the Vive and Rift have something similar? Is it not required because the tech is different? Genuinely curious.

• Options
    TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »

Good luck!

Yeah, I was a bit annoyed that I wasn't able to set the IPD manually since I know what mine is from my ophthalmologist.The PSVR reading was only off 2mm and I haven't noticed any problems at that slight difference.

Do the Vive and Rift have something similar? Is it not required because the tech is different? Genuinely curious.

The Rift has a little nub you can push in and set the IPD. In settings you can see a cross that gets clearer the closer it is to your actual IPD. It displays the IPD in mm on the same screen.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Tharghor wrote: »

Good luck!

The Rift has a little nub you can push in and set the IPD. In settings you can see a cross that gets clearer the closer it is to your actual IPD. It displays the IPD in mm on the same screen.

The Vive has a similar nub you rotate to set the IPD. There's no cross or anything, but it displays IPD in mm when you adjust it.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    On the subject of VR sickness, I thought that Super Bunnyhop's recent video was quite interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3mMc_0_UtU

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    For the PSVR users: PSN is having a pretty big sale on VR titles this week (until Feb 7). North America only, I beleive, and required PS+ for the deep discounts. I finally picked up Headmaster and Pixel Gear.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/playstation-plus-specials/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSSPECIALS

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options

Good luck!

The Vive has a similar nub you rotate to set the IPD. There's no cross or anything, but it displays IPD in mm when you adjust it.

Huh, those both sound pretty nifty. Thank you for the information. Wish I could do something similar on the PSVR instead of the current method. At least to see how much of a difference 68mm (what the PSVR calibration has) compared to 70mm (what the doc said) actually looks like.

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Signup form didn't have Gear VR as an option, but that's what I have. You can still find me under Oculus' user list.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Good luck!

Huh, those both sound pretty nifty. Thank you for the information. Wish I could do something similar on the PSVR instead of the current method. At least to see how much of a difference 68mm (what the PSVR calibration has) compared to 70mm (what the doc said) actually looks like.

2mm will make very little appreciable difference.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular

Good luck!

Did the ipd setup right before playing and I knew what mine were from my vive. But we never dialed it in so I don't know what it actually read me as.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Good luck!

2mm will make very little appreciable difference.

Oh I agree. I'm more just curious to see if I could even perceive a difference.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Anyone with a PSVR that likes a decent on rails shooter, sign yourself up a HK account and grab the demo of Mortal Blitz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhO7VGKAOFs

Pretty iffy looking graphics aside, it looks a load of fun. I'm going to download it tonight.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Double post but edit doesn't seem to work on this old browser (or I just can't see it):

cdkeys.com are doing £50 of PSN credit for £46. There's then a 5% off code here:

https://www.facebook.com/cdkeyscom/app/393344207416996/

(you need an account, guest checkout doesn't work)

So that's £50 for around £43. I'm going to be picking up:

- Tumble
    - Holoball
    - Wayward Sky
    - I Expect You To Die (release on 6th Feb in UK)

With that money (ok, it costs a little more but I've a fiver in my wallet)

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Isn't cdkeys.com one of the less legit places like g2a?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Isn't cdkeys.com one of the less legit places like g2a?

Really? I didn't realise. In which case I take back my advice. I picked up the deal from hotukdeals.com who are normally fairly good at weeding out the dodgy websites. The code certainly worked, but I wouldn't want to advocate any dodgy dealings!

:edit:

Not always the most reliable place but trustpilot ratings seem high:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.cdkeys.com

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Cdkeys is grey as fuck.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I just got my PS VR this week, and whilst I've had a few 'Wow' moments, on the whole I'm feeling a little underwhelmed, I think.
    Based on what I'd seen from the launch week Giant Bomb streams though, this wasn't entirely unexpected.

Random initial thoughts:

One major issue is fogging/condensation on the lenses, I must have very moist eyeballs?! :P
    I have to try and breathe very lightly while I'm using it.

Cabling is a nightmare. Why does the PU need to have it's own power-brick? They should have integrated it.
    I have no idea how you would have your PS4 sitting under your TV with all this cabling.

Absolutely no problems with any queasiness or 'VR sickness' though, I think a lot of it must either be hyperbole, or I just have an iron stomach.

My only prior experience was with the Oculus DK1 (a few years ago at an expo), and this seems a lot better, but it's at least 100 iterations away from the Snow-Crash/Denno Coil-esque revolution that I've seen and heard people hyping it (VR) up as being.

Going to spend some more in-depth time with it, before I can really decide if it was worth the purchase.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    What have you tried up to now? And VR sickness is a thing, a friend struggled to get through a lot of stuff (even some of the up/down bits in rush of blood)

Also do you have move controllers? They've largely been the experiences I've been most impressed by

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

My only prior experience was with the Oculus DK1 (a few years ago at an expo), and this seems a lot better, but it's at least 100 iterations away from the Snow-Crash/Denno Coil-esque revolution that I've seen and heard people hyping it (VR) up as being.

first gen devices are pretty decent.. love my vive w/roomscale but its the next gen devices and such that I am really excited for. I'll be buying a TPcast as soon as I can get one in Canada because I fucking hate the cable. I was ok with it at first but I play roomscale a ton and it just gets in the way.

I keep track of tech that is coming and being developed, from retina tracking, full body tracking, better hand control and other features and it makes me really excited for the next 5 years.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    @GMaster7 and anyone who was on the fence for PSVR:

Wave Two of the (so called) "launch bundle" is coming! $499 for the headset, camera, two Move controllers, a demo disc with eighteen (18) different game demos and VR Worlds - five small games/experiences.

There is also a Gamestop exclusive that replaced VR Worlds with Until Dawn: Rush of Blood for the same price. Personally, I got way more from the VR Worlds disc than I did from Rush of Blood. Heck, I've easily played Danger Ball ten times more often (in both time player and sessions started) than Rush of Blood, but maybe I'm a minority.

SOURCE -> http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/01/more-playstation-vr-bundles-coming-this-month/

26904.png
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    There's been a verdict in the Oculus and Zenimax case: http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/14474198/oculus-lawsuit-verdict

tl;dr: Zenimax got $500m (instead of the $4b they wanted) for NDA breaches. Oculus/Facebook were not found to have stolen any trade secrets. Life moves on.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    There's been a verdict in the Oculus and Zenimax case: http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/14474198/oculus-lawsuit-verdict

tl;dr: Zenimax got $500m (instead of the $4b they wanted) for NDA breaches. Oculus/Facebook were not found to have stolen any trade secrets. Life moves on.

Found not to have stolen and they had to pay $500m? Hefty NDA breach

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
      @GMaster7 and anyone who was on the fence for PSVR:

Wave Two of the (so called) "launch bundle" is coming! $499 for the headset, camera, two Move controllers, a demo disc with eighteen (18) different game demos and VR Worlds - five small games/experiences.

There is also a Gamestop exclusive that replaced VR Worlds with Until Dawn: Rush of Blood for the same price. Personally, I got way more from the VR Worlds disc than I did from Rush of Blood. Heck, I've easily played Danger Ball ten times more often (in both time player and sessions started) than Rush of Blood, but maybe I'm a minority.

SOURCE -> http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/01/more-playstation-vr-bundles-coming-this-month/

First of all, this is a really great decision on Sony's part. They should never have stopped selling the bundle. Other than the price - which is quite a hurdle for many people, I'm sure, especially with Switch on the horizon - the bundle lowers the barrier for entry and gives you everything you need.

Second: thank you for thinking of me! I am really leaning towards doing this. It was harder to justify when I was a newlywed and was still setting up my apartment, etc., but now that I'm/we're settled, I feel like I need to take the plunge. VR (specifically, Job Simulator) was a mind-blowing experience for me at PAX East last year. I'm disappointed to see that PSVR has been quiet lately on the hype front - I don't want to say it's struggling, because supply hasn't even kept up with demand in a lot of areas, from what I've heard - and I hope Sony puts a little more of a push behind it.

That being said, Horizon is coming and I have a huge backlog right now, so... it'd also be easy to continue to find excuses to hold on to $499. I'll see how I feel in a week or so. Still getting used to post-marriage, post-new-job and post-holidays budgeting.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
    • Options
      LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Yo, I started doing a VR game this week. It looks like this

Someone activate this key on Steam and play it and let me know what you think; if you're not gonna feed me back don't activate it plz. It works on Vive and it might work on Oculus Touch but I Dunno. Also don't activate it if you've just got a rift, it needs motion control
      F5JK9-5VWWJ-XFA00

also it's room scale and very much a "more room is better" thing

LaCabra on
    • Options
      FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
      Kyanilis wrote: »

This seems incredibly relevant for any tl;dr. As of today, post-verdict, Zenimax is still threatening to halt sales of Rifts temporarily.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      LaCabra: That looks awesome fun, as a PSVR only bod I can't redeem but I'm a sucker for anything with sword fights.

Not sword fight related, tonight I've managed to punch a light shade and an open door whilst playing Holoball. And also managed to sweat a lot. Lots and lots of fun.

• Options
      Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
      I'm pretty lost as to what the deal is with Zenimax, Facebook, these NDA breaches, and the Rift. To the best of my (partial) knowledge, Facebook basically bought out the Rift folks and it was a Facebook product now anyway, so how could they basically be suing themselves for NDA breaches?

Obviously there are subtleties here I'm missing.

• Options
      OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
      I'm pretty lost as to what the deal is with Zenimax, Facebook, these NDA breaches, and the Rift. To the best of my (partial) knowledge, Facebook basically bought out the Rift folks and it was a Facebook product now anyway, so how could they basically be suing themselves for NDA breaches?

Zenimax (who owns id Software) is the one suing Facebook/Oculus, and John Carmack was working at Zenimax before moving to Oculus.

• Options
      Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

From what I understand (I'm probably wrong), they were suing (partly) for ownership of John Carmack's brain, which belongs to John Carmack, due to it's legally annoying tendency of being present in his skull.

Because of course it's totally not possible (/s) for someone to write functionally the same bit of code twice in very different ways.

• Options
      Mr_Grinch wrote: »
      What have you tried up to now? And VR sickness is a thing, a friend struggled to get through a lot of stuff (even some of the up/down bits in rush of blood)

Also do you have move controllers? They've largely been the experiences I've been most impressed by
      I don't have the move controllers, just yet. Bit out of my reach for the moment, but they're on 'the list'.

I've tried all of the free stuff I could, like the pack-in demo disc and Playroom. I have RE7 and Thumper, but haven't tried their VR modes yet.

I found the Mario 64-style platformer in Playroom to be the best experience thus far, I could really see myself playing something like Crash Bandicoot/Ratchet & Clank VR if it was done in the same way.

Playing 'Rush of Blood' (the demo version) just made me laugh (suspension of disbelief failure?), no nausea or even anything scary to it. I presume it at least makes aiming easier with a dual move setup?

It's not too bad with just the DS4, but human limbs aren't supposed to bend that way. :lol:

• Options
      ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
      Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I just wanted to chime in on this: I'm definitely in this camp. The second the first tiny drop in the track hits, my body just says "Nope" and I have to shut my eyes and rip the headset off my face.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    • Options
      Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

From what I understand (I'm probably wrong), they were suing (partly) for ownership of John Carmack's brain, which belongs to John Carmack, due to it's legally annoying tendency of being present in his skull.

Because of course it's totally not possible (/s) for someone to write functionally the same bit of code twice in very different ways.

Zenimax's latest tact has been to claim that modern VR would not be possible without them and they want four billion dollars.

Of course, no mention of Valve has been made in all of this. Considering how closely Valve and Oculus were collaborating before Facebook purchased Oculus, I'm surprised Zenimax isn't suing them.

Which raises the question: If Zenimax's lawsuit has any merit at all, why isn't Valve named in this lawsuit? They have the most successful platform right now, and engineers already talked about how close the Vive and Rift are in technology terms. Which leads me to believe that the lawsuit is meritless, and Zenimax are trying to profit from other people's work.

• Options
      FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Nova_C wrote: »

Zenimax's latest tact has been to claim that modern VR would not be possible without them and they want four billion dollars.

Of course, no mention of Valve has been made in all of this. Considering how closely Valve and Oculus were collaborating before Facebook purchased Oculus, I'm surprised Zenimax isn't suing them.

Which raises the question: If Zenimax's lawsuit has any merit at all, why isn't Valve named in this lawsuit? They have the most successful platform right now, and engineers already talked about how close the Vive and Rift are in technology terms. Which leads me to believe that the lawsuit is meritless, and Zenimax are trying to profit from other people's work.

They just received a judgement for 500 million dollars. I believe the lawsuit is specific to Oculus because they have Carmack -- there's no indication of Valve receiving technology from their friendly times with Oculus, but there definitely was some sort of contract between Carmack and his former employer, Zenimax. They're clearly interpreting it differently, but the core of the case has nothing to do with Valve.

Fiatil on
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
      Zenimax has a reputation of going after video companies with lawsuits and hostile takeovers.

• Options
      edited February 2017
      It was a surprise to me that I was able to play Rush of Blood with (almost) no ill effect. There were a handful of times while playing that I got a tiny bit queasy and thought I might need to abort, but they were short-term effects. Whenever the track dropped away - specifically, vertically in the downward direction - I was not too happy. There is a section in the later levels where the cart stops on an elevator that lowers down about four or five floors and that was pretty rough. But overall, I was able to play it.

I actually think having Move controllers and being able to wave my hands around in front of my face helped with the experience. It provides a bit of "grounding" and reference for the inner ear.

Shameless self promotion: I've been doing reviews of one PSVR game per week at my personal blog.
      I found the Mario 64-style platformer in Playroom to be the best experience thus far, I could really see myself playing something like Crash Bandicoot/Ratchet & Clank VR if it was done in the same way.
      Check out Wayward Sky for more of that same type of third person game play.

Stupid on

26904.png
    This discussion has been closed.