As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I love [VIRTUAL REALITY], it's so bad.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Age limits be damned, I put my four year old daughter in the PSVR yesterday and put job simulator on. She was fascinated. When she figured out she could eat donuts she just stood there for about five minutes doing that. Then in the shop she just squirrel ketchup everywhere.

I calibrated it first off without thinking and just put it on her head when the shop opened up - she couldn't see over the counter! I re calibrated whilst on my knees and that worked fine.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    *** LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING TO ALL THE SKYRIM HYPE LA LA LA MUST RESIST LA LA LA ***

• Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    *** LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING TO ALL THE SKYRIM HYPE LA LA LA MUST RESIST LA LA LA ***

7ixov49xvf2o.png

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Has Bethesda said if they plan on releasing skyrim vr on PC? Seems so weird they made doom and fallout on PC and skyrim on ps4

616610-1.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Has Bethesda said if they plan on releasing skyrim vr on PC? Seems so weird they made doom and fallout on PC and skyrim on ps4

Whenever the exclusivity contract runs out. Or if you believe their head of PR, whenever their Skyrim team learns to code for PC VR. Perhaps the Fallout team can teach them.

They definitely want to, we just don't know when.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »

Whenever the exclusivity contract runs out. Or if you believe their head of PR, whenever their Skyrim team learns to code for PC VR. Perhaps the Fallout team can teach them.

They definitely want to, we just don't know when.

Even with PSVR, there is really no VR ecosystem where an exclusive doesn't have painful sales numbers next to anything else. This has to be a race to "Put your VR title on everything you can manage unless selling a few thousand was your goal in the first place."

Speaking of which, as the Samsung Odyssey (and all the Windows Mixed Reality headsets) can work with Steam VR, I've started taking them more seriously than I ever took the HTC Vive, in large part because all of the headsets, the Odyssey included, meet certain very basic requirements of mine: no lighthouse insanity (the moment you tell me I need a "VR Room" is the moment I stop listening to whatever you're saying--Half-Life 3 couldn't convince me I need a "VR Room"), camera pass-through (how this wasn't a required feature still surprises me), and better resolution than the Vive/Rift for less cost (at launch anyway). I believe I could live with less precise motion controls (because I don't really like what I've played of motion control VR).

Then again if I bought one, it'd basically be "Play Elite Dangerous with this." I don't even play much ED anymore. Of course on Steam you're going to have the biggest potential VR game marketplace, even if it has a tough time grabbing me.

Still, at least the hardware options are steadily getting better. And maybe I could actually wear it with my glasses.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Question for Steam/Vive users:

Can you play a game that says it needs roomscale to work if you're set to seated/standing only, or will it insist that you've got a room layout calibrated before it'll let you play?

I just don't have the room in my room for stuff like Virtual Rickality or Job Simulator until I move my PC setup to a bigger room in the house, but was wondering if I had to put those kind of games off until I do.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Time to stop playing Superhot VR for today. I was in the plane level, third wave; I dropped down, stuck my arm out, shot the first guy; his gun fell just out of reach behind the seat I was using for cover.

Still crouching down, I leaned on the seat with my left hand, to give me more stability so I could reach around the corner with my right hand without having to lean out and expose the rest of my body

and fell over, because the seats aren't really there
    I do believe that's the level with a shotgun in the overhead bin that most people miss.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I believe I could live with less precise motion controls (because I don't really like what I've played of motion control VR).

havent read much on the Samsung, looking into it now but what sort of motion control games have you played that you were just.. meh on. Do you mean games where you pickup things with VR hands?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    LutExIV wrote: »

7ixov49xvf2o.png

Silly, my eyes are closed!

(But I'm so damn curious what that string of ASL translates to...)

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    Question for Steam/Vive users:

Can you play a game that says it needs roomscale to work if you're set to seated/standing only, or will it insist that you've got a room layout calibrated before it'll let you play?

I just don't have the room in my room for stuff like Virtual Rickality or Job Simulator until I move my PC setup to a bigger room in the house, but was wondering if I had to put those kind of games off until I do.

It'll give you a warning, I think, and certain games might refuse to play if they're coded that way; but you can force SteamVR to believe your setup is larger than it is anyways, it just means the boundaries wont show up (which matters less if you're standing/sitting in place, but still might be problematic).

That doesn't mean the game will actually be playable without the room; I was playing Water Bears VR and found myself physically unable to reach a location required to advance; but there are at the very least ways to get it to launch.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    From what I read, Skyrim VR on PC is only going to officially support the Vive, so I wonder how well motion controls will translate to Rift users.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I believe I could live with less precise motion controls (because I don't really like what I've played of motion control VR).

havent read much on the Samsung, looking into it now but what sort of motion control games have you played that you were just.. meh on. Do you mean games where you pickup things with VR hands?

Basically, I'm one of those people who when choosing between 1) VR as a way to play motion games and 2) VR as a way to play existing control games, I am overwhelmingly in favor of the later.

That's just me. Right off the bat, I dislike any sort of first-person shooter (possibly any sort of first-person perspective game) where I have to teleport to move. It's probably why I think Resident Evil 7 is the strongest PSVR title still (the fact that the Move controllers are particularly bad, in my experience, probably reinforces that fact). I just generally don't enjoy motion control games, and VR hasn't yet changed how I feel about that. Job Simulator is a hoot, but honestly, not something I'd play for more than a novelty.

By contrast, the much, much stronger impression left on me by VR comes with "in-cockpit" style games--probably because I have a history with TrackIR and VR becomes a sort of fairly high resolution monitor that moves wherever I move my head. Hence Elite Dangerous, which I actually own. Playing it with motion controls, instead of my HOTAS, sounds like some sort of cruel prank (if it was an option to begin with, but it isn't).

There's also the user space dilemma, as described. I understand that the Odyssey, lacking a pair of sensor blasters or a outside camera, isn't as precise in head tracking either (due to relying on its own cameras and internal motion sensors), but I think I could live with it versus the trade offs.

That being said, I imagine that somewhere, out there, there's a motion control game that would blow my mind (it's sort of how everyone has that VR game that gives them an epiphany, I just haven't found that yet either) and good controls are still better than bad ones, and the Odyssey (which I think shares controls with the other WMR headsets) are a modest improvement over the Vive, or at least that's how I've heard it described. More importantly, they're included at a price point that matches the original Rift release.

Overall, the safe thing would just be not to get into VR, even if I do have a GTX 1080.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    From what I read, Skyrim VR on PC is only going to officially support the Vive, so I wonder how well motion controls will translate to Rift users.

It's been a non-issue for everything I've played so far, even games where the developers only list Vive support. Sometimes the touchpad mapping to the sticks is awkward, but not game-breaking. The only place I can think of where the Touch has been an issue is the SteamVR Home beta (which supports the Touch), where I believe the drone controls have their Touch controls mapped incorrectly.

• Options

Basically, I'm one of those people who when choosing between 1) VR as a way to play motion games and 2) VR as a way to play existing control games, I am overwhelmingly in favor of the later.

That's just me. Right off the bat, I dislike any sort of first-person shooter (possibly any sort of first-person perspective game) where I have to teleport to move. It's probably why I think Resident Evil 7 is the strongest PSVR title still (the fact that the Move controllers are particularly bad, in my experience, probably reinforces that fact). I just generally don't enjoy motion control games, and VR hasn't yet changed how I feel about that. Job Simulator is a hoot, but honestly, not something I'd play for more than a novelty.

By contrast, the much, much stronger impression left on me by VR comes with "in-cockpit" style games--probably because I have a history with TrackIR and VR becomes a sort of fairly high resolution monitor that moves wherever I move my head. Hence Elite Dangerous, which I actually own. Playing it with motion controls, instead of my HOTAS, sounds like some sort of cruel prank (if it was an option to begin with, but it isn't).

There's also the user space dilemma, as described. I understand that the Odyssey, lacking a pair of sensor blasters or a outside camera, isn't as precise in head tracking either (due to relying on its own cameras and internal motion sensors), but I think I could live with it versus the trade offs.

That being said, I imagine that somewhere, out there, there's a motion control game that would blow my mind (it's sort of how everyone has that VR game that gives them an epiphany, I just haven't found that yet either) and good controls are still better than bad ones, and the Odyssey (which I think shares controls with the other WMR headsets) are a modest improvement over the Vive, or at least that's how I've heard it described. More importantly, they're included at a price point that matches the original Rift release.

Overall, the safe thing would just be not to get into VR, even if I do have a GTX 1080.

Gotcha, yea Elite Dangerous is just... wow in VR with HOTAS, part of me would think having your hands modelled in game to interact would be neat..but it would be far less immersive than having the HOTAS lined up with the in game assets.

The FPS games I have played in VR have been varied. Still love my Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades it works wonderfully with the vive controls as you manipulate load, aim and shoot a ton of firearms, but it was built from the ground up for that.

Payday 2 VR has been a joy playing with the vive, but its a very different beast. Some things work great in VR other things not so much, you get trade offs where stealth and movement are more difficult but multitasking and gunplay is better.

Job Simulator is lovely and really nails the room scale, but its not a long experience and its more of an amusing tech demo than any sort of game that will really engage you past initial play through (depending on age and how easily amused you are.. cause sometimes you want to drink gasoline and vomit on a robot)

Farpoint on the PSVR with its gun controller. I want more experiences like that in VR, (with the Vive trackers we are going to see more of that, and of course full body tracking) more tactile experiences.

I do like what the Samsung HMD is doing, inside out tracking very cool, better resolution and FOV, heck yes. Sure the hand controls get lost when they move out of your field of view but according to the dudes at TESTED you personally don't notice as it tracks back very fast (might look weird to others) a few game experiences I have played where I am maybe dual wielding a weapon one aimed down a corridor and the other aimed down the opposite one.. with the Samsung you have to pick an arm you cant just wave the controllers around spraying bullets down the hall. Which isn't effective but it is cool. but no light house and need to setup a room.. pretty good.
    (I didn't see about it giving you a warning or having a chaperone if you get too close to walls objects though... maybe I missed it ) Also curious on what handles the tracking, is it the HMD doing the processing or is it still the PC.. and if that is the case how will wireless options work with it.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    "darkmayo wrote: »
    I do like what the Samsung HMD is doing, inside out tracking very cool, better resolution and FOV, heck yes. Sure the hand controls get lost when they move out of your field of view but according to the dudes at TESTED you personally don't notice as it tracks back very fast (might look weird to others) a few game experiences I have played where I am maybe dual wielding a weapon one aimed down a corridor and the other aimed down the opposite one.. with the Samsung you have to pick an arm you cant just wave the controllers around spraying bullets down the hall. Which isn't effective but it is cool. but no light house and need to setup a room.. pretty good.
    (I didn't see about it giving you a warning or having a chaperone if you get too close to walls objects though... maybe I missed it ) Also curious on what handles the tracking, is it the HMD doing the processing or is it still the PC.. and if that is the case how will wireless options work with it.

The Odyssey does not have any chaperone-type system yet (none of them do, in fact, all the Windows MR headsets obey shared standards, it's basically just a difference in style, weight, and visual fidelity). The fact that they don't have those annoying lighthouses is probably relevant, though I suppose there's nothing keeping it from detecting walls via cameras (which it can do in a basic way, and uses to track movement in pat), or just generally estimating where walls are via the other motion sensing.

Chaperone is a great feature, really one of the (few) stand-out things on the HTC Vive. The greater point for me, personally, is that I shouldn't have to use it, because I don't like motion controls. What I want instead flat-out camera pass-through: I flip a switch, the game vanishes and I can see through the cameras all Windows MR sets have. Flip it again and I'm back. The VR equivalent of alt-tabbing. Yes, it's immersion breaking (so is the Chaperone system)...and while I'm not entirely certain it's been implemented, it's at least physically possible, unlike the ultra-low-res black-and-white camera on the Vive (which cannot send video to the display), or the lack of one on the rift.

Mostly I don't want to have to lift up the displays every time to do that (in part because I wear glasses), but it seems like a stupidly obvious feature to have. Get a phone call? Use it to check your phone screen. Can't find your coffee cup? There it is.

Plus, fundamentally, all the Windows Mixed Reality sets are basically "monitors" in the VR arena--yes, they're set up to work immediately with the store in Windows 10, but they're brand agnostic and already work with Steam (not sure about Occulus' own marketplace, which is admittedly still very mysterious to me). PSVR is kind of a deal-breaker for me too, because I'm familiar with the substantially lower fidelity (haven't used it on PlayStation 4 Pro), and because being bound to Sony's own VR ecosystem seems to making a bad problem (not enough games that justify VR in my mind) a lot worse (even fewer of them).

• Options
    "darkmayo wrote: »

The Odyssey does not have any chaperone-type system yet (none of them do, in fact, all the Windows MR headsets obey shared standards, it's basically just a difference in style, weight, and visual fidelity). The fact that they don't have those annoying lighthouses is probably relevant, though I suppose there's nothing keeping it from detecting walls via cameras (which it can do in a basic way, and uses to track movement in pat), or just generally estimating where walls are via the other motion sensing.

Chaperone is a great feature, really one of the (few) stand-out things on the HTC Vive. The greater point for me, personally, is that I shouldn't have to use it, because I don't like motion controls. What I want instead flat-out camera pass-through: I flip a switch, the game vanishes and I can see through the cameras all Windows MR sets have. Flip it again and I'm back. The VR equivalent of alt-tabbing. Yes, it's immersion breaking (so is the Chaperone system)...and while I'm not entirely certain it's been implemented, it's at least physically possible, unlike the ultra-low-res black-and-white camera on the Vive (which cannot send video to the display), or the lack of one on the rift.

Mostly I don't want to have to lift up the displays every time to do that (in part because I wear glasses), but it seems like a stupidly obvious feature to have. Get a phone call? Use it to check your phone screen. Can't find your coffee cup? There it is.

Plus, fundamentally, all the Windows Mixed Reality sets are basically "monitors" in the VR arena--yes, they're set up to work immediately with the store in Windows 10, but they're brand agnostic and already work with Steam (not sure about Occulus' own marketplace, which is admittedly still very mysterious to me). PSVR is kind of a deal-breaker for me too, because I'm familiar with the substantially lower fidelity (haven't used it on PlayStation 4 Pro), and because being bound to Sony's own VR ecosystem seems to making a bad problem (not enough games that justify VR in my mind) a lot worse (even fewer of them).

Was watching this video and there appears to be some sort of chaperone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQL6yx7EyZY

Love that my vive has the camera and I activate room view to grab things that are in my actual room.

the video linked also goes into the controllers and such on the Odyssey.. you need bluetooth for the controllers for one. They seem flimsy and considering how many times I have punched walls and ceilings with my vive controllers... id be worried about breaking them.

The HMD looked great, built in tracking and cables are simple (though need to be longer, or at least as long as vive imo)
    doesnt appear to have an option to extend the lenses from your face in case you wear glasses which imo should be standard in all HMD

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Time to stop playing Superhot VR for today. I was in the plane level, third wave; I dropped down, stuck my arm out, shot the first guy; his gun fell just out of reach behind the seat I was using for cover.

Still crouching down, I leaned on the seat with my left hand, to give me more stability so I could reach around the corner with my right hand without having to lean out and expose the rest of my body

and fell over, because the seats aren't really there
    I do believe that's the level with a shotgun in the overhead bin that most people miss.

Missed it the first time, when I saw it the second time through I emitted a loud ...squawk, I guess? of pleasure and then giggled gleefully while dispatching assassins with a sawed-off breechloader. It both was and wasn't one of my best moments.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    LutExIV wrote: »

7ixov49xvf2o.png

Silly, my eyes are closed!

(But I'm so damn curious what that string of ASL translates to...)
    That doesn't look like ASL to me. I know all the letters with one hand. Some look right so perhaps it's sign, just not ASL.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure that's just English. You can read it if you squint a little.

==

Unrelated: I saw the last Oculus Rift update added partial bundle pricing to give you a refund for games you already own. Which is nice, but kind of too late in my case since I already committed to the Steam ecosystem because at the time the Oculus Store didn't have this, or a refund policy, or reviews on the game pages, or a dozen other things. It's good that Oculus has been catching up featurewise, but they might have to consider something drastic like GOG Connect and eat the cost of handing out free keys if they need people to switch. Which maybe they don't, so whatever.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Weirdly enough most sign looks like someone bullshitting sign. I was learning from a co-worker for 4 years at my last job and half the signs I made up were correct, or close enough to it.
    Kind of makes sense how that one dude on TV managed to make it as far as he did not knowing anything (if you guys remember that).

So I've been using this bad boy and my Vive to play racing games. And man it's a blast. I'd really like to try some sort of flight or space sim soon.
    Anyone flying? No idea what games to look at.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

==

Unrelated: I saw the last Oculus Rift update added partial bundle pricing to give you a refund for games you already own. Which is nice, but kind of too late in my case since I already committed to the Steam ecosystem because at the time the Oculus Store didn't have this, or a refund policy, or reviews on the game pages, or a dozen other things. It's good that Oculus has been catching up featurewise, but they might have to consider something drastic like GOG Connect and eat the cost of handing out free keys if they need people to switch. Which maybe they don't, so whatever.

yup.. .Skyrim is great in VR

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    I think Elite: Dangerous has been the showcase cockpit experience for a while.

War Thunder is free.

For light experiences, House of the Dying Sun and Everspace are controller-friendly experiences. At the other end of the scale, DCS and IL-2 Sturmovik support VR, too.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Even with PSVR, there is really no VR ecosystem where an exclusive doesn't have painful sales numbers next to anything else. This has to be a race to "Put your VR title on everything you can manage unless selling a few thousand was your goal in the first place."

When it comes to making a proper financial return on a game there is no practical difference between selling 50k copies to PSVR only because it's exclusive, and selling 100k copies because you put it on Rift and Vive too. In either case the numbers are still too low.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    yup.. .Skyrim is great in VR

Hah hah!

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Played a bit more of Skyrim VR. I noticed that after one and a half hours my eyes are getting tired, so I have a natural “stop playing this game” built into me :lol:

Went through Bleak Falls Barrow, and sometimes when going through caves and dungeons you stumble upon a room that is larger or a cave with a big waterfall and you stand there watching it for a minute.

The room where you use the golden claw is really big, and gave me the impression of awe that I had when playing Tomb Raider for the first time, where I just said “wow, this is big”.

Also, prepare to clean your pants when you wander around the wilderness and get ambushed by a wolf; that is not good for the heart :razz:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Age limits be damned, I put my four year old daughter in the PSVR yesterday and put job simulator on. She was fascinated. When she figured out she could eat donuts she just stood there for about five minutes doing that. Then in the shop she just squirrel ketchup everywhere.

I calibrated it first off without thinking and just put it on her head when the shop opened up - she couldn't see over the counter! I re calibrated whilst on my knees and that worked fine.

yooooooooooooooooooo I dunno if that have it for PSVR but there might be a child mode.

https://youtu.be/bfxVZJpy-DA?t=36

edit- oh I just did a quick search and psvr doesn't have smaller human mode. there's a calibration that says to extend your arms and uses that for height, but your method works just as well. Nevermind me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5r1ca0/small_human_mode_for_job_simulator_psvr/
    [–]moogle_kupo 0 points1 point2 points 9 months ago

You are correct. The psvr does not have the same small human mode panel used to adjust height. The posters above also have some good tricks to adjust height as well. However, the developers did actually include a way to account for height in the psvr version.

When the game first begins, it is critical to have the person that is going to play the game go through the calibration mode. The game asks you to stand in a glowing area on your floor and spread out your arms. The game is using this "wing span" measurement to identify your height. This is because your wing span is usually identical to your height.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    I thought that PSVR was not good for children younger than 12 years because you can’t calibrate their eye-distance correctly, because it is too small, and therefore has the same effect as glasses whose focal points are not correct, which gives you tremendous headaches and makes your eyes feel all screwy...

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    So, looks like RE7 won VR-GOTY from Golden Joysticks. Guess I 'need' to buy it now. I've never been a huge fan of the horror genre though.

26904.png
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I thought that PSVR was not good for children younger than 12 years because you can’t calibrate their eye-distance correctly, because it is too small, and therefore has the same effect as glasses whose focal points are not correct, which gives you tremendous headaches and makes your eyes feel all screwy...

Oculus Rift and Gear VR recommend ages 13+.

Vive says kids shouldn't use VR.

PSVR recommends 12 and up. You can calibrate.

As for if its just to cover their asses or if there is a genuine risk remains to be seen. Not enough studies yet. But with many things, I think supervision and moderation is key.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    So, looks like RE7 won VR-GOTY from Golden Joysticks. Guess I 'need' to buy it now. I've never been a huge fan of the horror genre though.

You wont be disappointed. It's still my favorite VR experience to date. I recommend playing standing up, and turn your head and entire body to face whichever direction you want. In other words, don't use the thumbsticks to turn. Only use them to strafe and move forward/backward.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Had lunch with my friend and got to see some Moss stuff. Looking really cool! I'm going to try and get by their offices in the next month to playtest the current build. Any feedback you want me to pass along to the team?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Had lunch with my friend and got to see some Moss stuff. Looking really cool! I'm going to try and get by their offices in the next month to playtest the current build. Any feedback you want me to pass along to the team?
    Please have them sell me one of the MossQuill statues they had at PAX. 2Dorbs.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Man, I wish this thread hadn't made me aware of the Samsung Odyssey, since a lack of lighthouses is a huge plus for my small apartment and it seems like Rift/Vive quality VR and not "strap a phone on your face" quality VR.

But ugh, I'm worried about the lack of content. Steam VR integration seems spotty, and who the heck knows if I'll be able to play Rift exclusive games on it. It'd suck to plunk down the cash on a VR headset I can't play Rez Infinite on, for example.

Any advice on which way, if at all, to go?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Please have them sell me one of the Moss statues they had at PAX. 2Dorbs.

I'll see what I can do. I did say that they need Quill plushies like yesterday.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Man, I wish this thread hadn't made me aware of the Samsung Odyssey, since a lack of lighthouses is a huge plus for my small apartment and it seems like Rift/Vive quality VR and not "strap a phone on your face" quality VR.

But ugh, I'm worried about the lack of content. Steam VR integration seems spotty, and who the heck knows if I'll be able to play Rift exclusive games on it. It'd suck to plunk down the cash on a VR headset I can't play Rez Infinite on, for example.

Any advice on which way, if at all, to go?

General impressions so far seem to be a solid meh. Display quality is good, and headset tracking is good, but content & controllers are very disappointing.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular

I have a 10-year-old daughter who is deeply infatuated with Horizon Zero Dawn and I fully expect Moss to be her “first real VR game” in the way that HZD is her “first real game”. I cannot wait to play it, cannot wait to see how my daughter plays it, and I hope my irrationally exuberant pre-order cash gets the team some beers on a late-night end-of-sprint party sometime.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

For what it's worth my four year old says it's not blurry and doesn't give her a headache during the occasional 5 minutes she uses it.

hfmkggl3tj69.jpg

Then again she told me she saw a dragon with black eyes at school yesterday, so maybe take that with a pinch of salt.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Let her play Skyrim VR, then she can really see a dragon with black eyes :wink:

You know, you can say that the current PSVR is “lo-res” or fuzzy, but man, by playing Skyrim it is almost impossible to imagine how I have been playing games on a screen, which is a limited window, all these years.

Because in that game the screen is everywhere you look. I have a stiff neck from climbing mountains, always looking up. The fact that you see depth means that you see some things way better.

For the first time I saw Whiterun with Dragonsreach in the distance, and it felt for me new, because I do not recall seeing it “from a distance” in the classic Skyrim; but now, I couldn’t see past it.

And entering Dragonsreach is like entering a big cathedral... You stand still, look up, and say “damn, that is a high ceiling”. Sometimes you just have to stop, and admire the view and take time to simply enjoy it...

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Quick mini-reviews of some stuff I picked up in the latest indiegala VR bundle

VR Coaster Extreme - if you want to find out if VR roller coasters would make you feel sick, this is a cheap way to find out. (for me, yup. At the time of doing the actual 'ride', not as much as I'd feared it would, but I felt pretty off for a couple of hours afterwards).

Butterfly Moment -- you stand in a pleasant outdoor environment and catch butterflies. That's it. Very relaxing for about five minutes, and it does the thing I (personally) like where game objects come right past your face, which makes me feel a lot more like I'm 'really there'. But all you do is wave a net around to catch butterflies..

Tengutana -- VR version of the numerous 2d slice-objects-up physics games. The problem is that it's hard to be precise enough in VR -- the mechanics all work, but most of the puzzles (I played the first dozen or so) don't really gain anything from being in 3d except that I would make cuts not-quite-perpendicular to the block in question, so things wouldn't fall the way I wanted them to.

Hyperride VR -- turns out that looking forwards and pointing your head to steer a spaceship is not actually a good game mechanic. Also there's not a lot of game there beyond 'point your head to steer a spaceship through obstacles'.

Cliffstone Manor -- (edit) Took me a second try to get it to run; seems like a reasonable 'solve puzzles by using items in the right places' sort of thing based on the first 10 minutes, at least.

Planet Protector VR -- cartoony wave shooter; interesting design where you move your hands to point some big ground-based guns, but the virtual things you're holding in your hands contain little screens that show where the big guns are actually looking. But the actual shooting-things experience is not very great, sadly.

Lunar Stone - Origin of Blood -- less cartoony wave shooter, but the secondary characters are so creepy-looking I couldn't put up with it. Also, if I'm going to play a wave shooter I'll play Serious Sam Last Hope / Space Pirate Trainer, I still have a lot of those to beat.

Munch -- you are a small fish, you have to swim around and eat smaller fish while not being eaten by larger fish. Once you eat enough small fish, you grow, and can now eat the bigger fish -- but what's this, even larger ones have shown up? Time to eat lots of medium-sized fish while keeping out of the way of the biggest fish. You get the idea; it's pretty simple, but also well-enough done that it's fun, and simple. Good "intro to VR" game, I reckon.

CubeWorks -- this is the one that made the bundle well worthwhile for me. The concept is: cubes move past along a circular conveyor belt (think baggage claim at airports); each cube has a pattern and sticking-out / sticking-in shapes on some of its sides. Pick up two cubes with matching patterns, press them together, both cubes vanish and you get points. So far so good; except that some patterns need to be lined up the right way round, so you can't just slap red against red, the two red faces have to be set up so that the recesses in one match the protrusions in the other face.

But the cubes are all 'real', and have physics attached, so you can pick them up, look at them, put them back on the belt so they'll come around again later, or put them at your feet for later use, or stack them up, etc. And some cubes have different patterns on different sides, so you need to work out which ones to best use with which other ones.

Some levels (I've only played the first world's worth so far) are just 'match as many as you can in X minutes'; some are 'now it only counts if you match blue faces...now it's only red faces...'; some are 'match all these dozen cubes, and you have 10 seconds from when you do the first match', so in that case I picked all the cubes up, sat them at my feet, and paired them up without actually doing the proper match, so that once I started I could grab-and-pair them all quickly. (and even then it took me a few goes).

It's a pretty simple idea, but the execution is _very_ polished, and it's satisfying to pick up and put the cubes down just to play around, even.

djmitchella on
This discussion has been closed.