Options

I love [VIRTUAL REALITY], it's so bad.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    There's also Bridge Crew and Rock Band VR. Steam just posted the John Wick Chronicles, which looks like it's at least one A. UploadVR recently posted a preview of upcoming Rift games, consisting of Arktika.1, Landfall, Lone Echo, Robo Recall and Wilson's Heart.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    On the Japanese side, still waiting for Project Lux to get on Steam. VR Kanojo also comes out this month.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The only triple A release coming up that I know of is Robo Recall. I actually have no idea what other games are in development for VR.

Doom and Fallout 4

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I have a feeling Bethesda will do their best to stymie any attempts to run those on the Rift, so I'm not sure I'll get to play them. I don't think I'd end up rebuying Fallout 4 either, I kind of burned out on that. It would be a great test of how well TES style games work in VR though, as well as by far the longest VR experience out there.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I'd kind of want to rebuy Fallout 4 just to run around all the zombie forts I made.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I stopped playing Fallout 4 so I could enjoy it in VR later, that and hitting level 80 because you spend all your time making sweet settlements and having barely progressed the story was beginning to be a problem.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    LutExIV wrote: »
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1162702973806457/

Robinson: The Journey is out on the Oculus Store. I'd assumed it was on a year embargo like the rest of the PSVR launch lineup (the part of it that wasn't already on the PC, anyway), but apparently not.

Anyone know how this game is? I was thinking of getting it for the wife/kids for PSVR...

I have the game and it has its moments. It's not the most exciting thing in VR but it's gorgeous and the sense of scale particularly around the large dinosaurs is impressive. I don't know what it is going for on Occulus but I don't regret the PSVR purchase, even at full price.

Cool thanks. Even if it's less-than-perfect I find that a good VR experience can make up for some of that.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The fallout 4 demo I played was... not good. But it was also very early.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    The fallout 4 demo I played was... not good. But it was also very early.

yea I saw videos for that early VR test. Id love to be a fly on the wall watching how things progress on that project.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Honest question -- have there been any more VR experiences announced from the AAA side of things?

I know we just got a blob of them, but barring a surprise killer app continued hype from big names is probably the main thing that will push VR to non-enthusiasts at this point.

This is what's killing VR for me.

In the end software is all I care about. Right now basically the only game that feels like it really matters to me that has VR is RE7. And Rez I guess.

And that's not enough to spend a minimum of seven hundred Canadian dollars.

• Options
    PrAyTeLLaPrAyTeLLa Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Orogogus wrote: »
    It's up on Steam now, too (http://store.steampowered.com/app/579820/), so try-for-less-than-2-hours-and-return is an option.

Anyone try buying on steam and using a Vive? Reports are that it's Rift only on Steam. Which would be a new development.

I'm finding that hard to believe, as I don't see the point. But looking at the discussion board and the negative reviews it seems like it's correct.

PrAyTeLLa on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Honest question -- have there been any more VR experiences announced from the AAA side of things?

I know we just got a blob of them, but barring a surprise killer app continued hype from big names is probably the main thing that will push VR to non-enthusiasts at this point.

In the end software is all I care about. Right now basically the only game that feels like it really matters to me that has VR is RE7. And Rez I guess.

Right now, the joyous feeling of actually being in VR and the giddiness at the tech's potential is almost a requirement to actually be worth getting into. If you don't feel that, then the software right now isn't good enough to keep your attention.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Right now, the joyous feeling of actually being in VR and the giddiness at the tech's potential is almost a requirement to actually be worth getting into. If you don't feel that, then the software right now isn't good enough to keep your attention.

If only I could try it without spending 700-1500 dollars or knowing someone who did the same.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Not sure if you're referring only to Oculus Home, but I think Valve's upcoming games (plural) will really push VR. Of course a lot of pressure or them doing it properly, so who knows how long it'll take before we see them. I'd expect Left for Dead would work well, as would Portal if they could come up with some good adaption of how portals work (in relation to you flying through one at breakneck speed). At least we'll be guaranteed AAA quality, The Lab is pretty damned good.

Edit: speak of the devil

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/291222

"..right now, we're building 3 VR games."
    "Newell and team did later confirm that these were not smaller experiments, but intended to be new "full games", as opposed to the vignette-style demonstrations shown in Valve's The Lab."

PrAyTeLLa on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

If only I could try it without spending 700-1500 dollars or knowing someone who did the same.

There are a few PSVR demo stations about, obviously I don't know where you are but it could be worth looking in to. It's perhaps not as 'refined' an experience as the PC VR headsets in a lot of ways but it'd certainly give you a good idea.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Interesting... looks like Sony figured out a way to improve their tracking using a single optical camera. In a nutshell, they're using two external "mirror" devices to provide parallax scanning with a single camera, similar to the way the Vive works with the lighthouses and the reflective "dots" on it's equipment. Some are calling the system "Trinity" (two reflectors and one camera), which plays on the original code-names for the PSVR ("Morpheus") and the PS4Pro ("Neo"). It pretty much fixes the PSVR's biggest problem.

http://www.cgmagonline.com/2017/02/10/sony-patents-vive-like-tracking-system-psvr/

The biggest question in my mind is, will this be a real product this year? In my mind, fixing the tracking would make PSVR comparable to Rift/Vive in terms of system quality. PSVR currently has the best software selection, but as PC prices continue to fall and Rift/Vive setups become cost-comparable, that may change.

26904.png
  • Options
    Have been playing with more touchpad movement in H3, getting use to the feeling and so far I have had very little issues, also switched to touchpad movement in Arizona Sunshine, I think H3 does it better right now but its nice not teleporting everywhere.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Tried Rec Room Quest mode last night. It needs some more work. The biggest problem is with the friendly fire. 1. *You* lose points if someone hits you. 2. *You* die if someone hits you. This makes it ripe for all the trolls to ruin the game for the other 3 people.

But when you have a group of competent players then it's pretty fun. Though it just makes me wish for the long-term upgrades like Quivr has.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular

Same here. I'm still waiting on a game (or experience) good enough to be worth the investment. I'm confident it'll happen though; someone is going to come forward with a VR-enabled MMO or a new genre like Minecraft or DayZ. Until it happens I'm holding off though.

• Options
    For anyone with a PSVR, give this a go: https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/14/sony-playstation-vr-positional-tracking-music-performance/

A friend in London was involved in the creation of it, it's pretty clever. A 360 degree video that allows for positional tracking.

It's free too!

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Man, all that work to model a very ordinary scene. Seems like a waste of effort, especially with stuff like Lytro Immerge on the horizon.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Might not quality as AAA, but I'm waiting for the Vive version of Obduction before I play through it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GSM wrote: »
    Man, all that work to model a very ordinary scene. Seems like a waste of effort, especially with stuff like Lytro Immerge on the horizon.

I dunno, it demonstrates a lot. The spacial audio with it is great and the choice of scene actually really shows off how sharp the headset is. As a proof of concept I liked it.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    that tech sounds super interesting I will definitely try it out next time I'm at my friend's house (who has a psvr).

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Been playing through I Expect you to Die. This is absolutely fantastic, trying to take my time with it as I hear it's pretty short. Finished the first mission, so much fun.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Been playing through I Expect you to Die. This is absolutely fantastic, trying to take my time with it as I hear it's pretty short. Finished the first mission, so much fun.

It is not particularly long. Less than ten missions I think?

It is fantastic though

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah only 5 or 6 missions, but it was good.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Long weekend starting tonight. Wife is going away next week from Tuesday to Sunday. Really feeling the pull of a PSVR purchase. I just.. can't.. put down $500+ right now. I mean, I can, but... I shouldn't. But I want to!

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Long weekend starting tonight. Wife is going away next week from Tuesday to Sunday. Really feeling the pull of a PSVR purchase. I just.. can't.. put down $500+ right now. I mean, I can, but... I shouldn't. But I want to!

It's certainly not perfect, but I'll say this... I had pretty much fallen out of console gaming for the longest time. As I'm getting older and have far less time to play I have been playing iPad/iPhone games for the last few years. PSVR has totally gotten me back in.

Last year I was obsessed with the idea of VR. I read up on the Vive and PSVR mostly. For Christmas I bought the family (myself) a PS4 Pro and a PSVR. I'm so glad I did. Resident Evil has been an absolute blast for me. Also enjoying Rush of Blood, Brookhaven Experiment, and Tumble VR. My son really enjoys Job Simulator and even Surgeon Simulator (but the tracking is bad on this one). He also likes playing all the demos. My wife even plays Tumble VR. We also have Battlezone and that "Robinson" game which we'll start playing soon,

So yeah, it's getting constant usage in our home. I just hope they keep a steady stream of games coming out for it. I'm hoping publishers take note of Resident Evil -- I'd be happy if publishers remastered a bunch of older games in VR.

• Options
    If you buy PSVR you can BE Batman whilst your wife is away.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    If you buy PSVR you can BE Batman whilst your wife is away.

The most convincing argument.

I did just realize I have $250 in credit card rewards, so that cuts the price in half, in a way. But then you have to factor in game prices. I'd take it slowly, getting a lot of use out of the demo disc and VR Worlds before jumping into... probably Rez Infinite, I Expect You to Die, Arkham VR, and... maybe Thumper. Job Sim was my first VR experience (in Oculus), and it was almost literally life-changing, so I'd pick that up as well. I dunno. I'm more on the fence than I've been about anything in a long time.

I know I'll love it. I know it's an amazing experience. I'm just... so completely on the fence about doing it now, rather than before a price drop in the next few months, or before seeing what Sony does at E3. But I waaaant it.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Also, you can do like I did and sign up for a three month GameFly "trial" account ($10 a month) and play about a dozen games in that time frame. I'm in California and round trip to my local GF distribution location is about a 5 day round trip. That is, when I drop a game in the mail, I have a new one five days later. Play it for a week, then repeat.

That only works for games that available as physical releases, so stuff like Thumper, and Wayward Sky, and Job Sim, and I Expect you to Die, and others... won't be on that list.

VR Worlds gets a lot of flack for being low-budget titles, but between that and the demo disc, you should be good for a solid two to four weeks.

26904.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I would love the Bioshock collection in VR...
    That were games where I spent a lot of time looking out of windows admiring the scenery...

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Someone is making a Song of Saya VR experience that turns your living room into, well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlcSDdnahAs

I played through the entirety of RE7 in VR, and I can safely say this is the one VR experience I won't ever touch.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Sounds like Bethesda is going with the kitchen sink methodology for locomotion in Fallout 4. Movement for everyone!

"Our plan is to ship with as many as we can, because it's different for everybody," he says. "There are a lot of indie developers and students that are working on prototypes and thinking about how to move in VR and so we're looking at a lot of those. "

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Got some VR time in. Now that I played some games more sensitive to it, it seems like my 3 sensor setup is having frequent problems with Touch tracking. I read that the 1.12 patch in QA testing is intended to help more people than the 1.11 patch did, so that's something.

Titans of Space: Sat through the long tour for the first time since the 2.0 update. Still one of my favorite experiences, but I find it unsettling. Not motion sickness, but it touches some of the same nerves as the horror games I played -- more like "Eee, I don't want to die out here in space or crash into these planets and stars." I think I'm not cut out to go into space in real life.

DOTA 2: It was kind of neat watching the little units run around, but I feel like it would have been way better if I could zoom directly in and out of the map level scale, like a strategic zoom, to better get a feel of what was going on across the entire field. I've never played a MOBA so it was just watching some guys hitting other guys. I guess it would also be more approachable if the little dudes were from something I knew anything about, like 40K, Star Wars or Transformers.

Derail Valley demo: A train simulator, choo choo! Kind of fun despite only having like four controls at hand. Spent about 10 minutes figuring out how many ways there are for a train to die -- suddenly applying the brakes, going too fast around that one curve, changing junctions onto tracks that go nowhere, etc. I don't know if it's because I'm using Touch controllers to mimic the Vive wands, but I notice in a lot of games it's often really hard to figure out whether you're actually touching a lever, switch or button. Would be nice to have an option to make things glow when you're touching. Also, I wish more developers would include a rotate view command in their room scale games, at least until these things are wireless out of the box.

Percussive VR: Virtual xylophone, glockenspiel and steel pan. Tracking problems ahoy, made this and the next game pretty rough. Would be cool if it had a soundbank to let you choose different sounds coming out of the instruments, and the other features you find on an electronic keyboard.

vRhythm demo: Music rhythm game with 4 drums for you to hit. I guess you can import song tracks from Stepmania? Had a hard time with this because of controller tracking. Even worse, every ten seconds or so it would pause and pop open the options menu. As usual for these games not having any resistance when you hit something makes it feel weird. I wonder if it would help if the controllers vibrated when you hit a drum. But maybe it wouldn't help and would just eat up the batteries.

VR Home: Looks like this is shaping up to be that room builder I really want, but the controls at this stage are janky. Like, I think the onscreen controller overlay clearly shows X as the delete item button, and I think the help menu says very prominently to press X to enter delete mode, but hell if I could figure out how to delete anything. And I spawned a wall clock but couldn't seem to select it to move it. And it's not great that pressing the trigger on one controller draws a line for selecting objects, while the other controller's trigger draws the same line for teleport movement. I think there's a video tutorial in game that I'll have to watch. But it seems to include a lot of the things I'd been hoping for -- MP3 players and radios that pull from streams or your music library, TVs that show video files and YouTube, and whiteboards to draw on.

Holopoint: Man, that was strenuous.

• Options
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Sounds like Bethesda is going with the kitchen sink methodology for locomotion in Fallout 4. Movement for everyone!

"Our plan is to ship with as many as we can, because it's different for everybody," he says. "There are a lot of indie developers and students that are working on prototypes and thinking about how to move in VR and so we're looking at a lot of those. "

I think they hit a home run with the movement options in RE7. I wish other PSVR games I have had the same level of customization for movement. I imagine they could have the same options in Fallout 4.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Disclaimer: I have a phobia of driving and gave up on ever doing it while I was on my learners permit because I don't trust myself.

I just did my first race in Dirt Rally VR and this game is legit scarier to me than Resident Evil 7. Like, mental switches in me know that zombies aren't real and I don't have to worry about this scary monster, no matter what my reflexes are saying... But when I take a turn just a little bit too tight and I go careening off a cliff, spinning end over end, I'm literally shouting in fear every time and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I kinda want to get a wheel now.

edit: hell, maybe I can use this game with a wheel as therapy to break my phobia and trust myself enough to drive.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    As someone who uses his VR headset primarily for driving fast cars, I highly recommend you get a wheel and pedals. You'll open up a whole world of being able to drive fast cars in VR. I highly recommend Assetto Corsa and Project Cars as other VR enabled go-fast with a wheel games. It may help your phobia, people are certainly exploring VR as a therapeutic device. It will certainly make you feel better about the car/human interface and how to safely manipulate an automobile, minus the g-forces and motion of a real car.

Just remember, left foot braking is for race cars, not road cars :wink:

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I really want to pick up a wheel but I know last time I did that I used it about twice and it lives in the attic now. But that wasn't VR. Shame my Driving Force Ex doesn't work on the PS4. It's hardly the most advanced of wheels but it's good enough for me.

Maybe after I've finished my current round of VR games (Wayward Sky and I Expect You To Die) I can justify it to myself.

This discussion has been closed.