As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I love [VIRTUAL REALITY], it's so bad.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Yeah i had no idea there was a free payday 2 vr update coming, i'll jump on that. Haven't played it in ages though.

Also; "Bethesda: ‘No Planned Mod Support At This Time’ For Skyrim VR On PC" https://uploadvr.com/bethesda-no-planned-mod-support-time-skyrim-vr-pc/

ffffffuuuuu!

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah i had no idea there was a free payday 2 vr update coming, i'll jump on that. Haven't played it in ages though.

Also; "Bethesda: ‘No Planned Mod Support At This Time’ For Skyrim VR On PC" https://uploadvr.com/bethesda-no-planned-mod-support-time-skyrim-vr-pc/

ffffffuuuuu!

Hopefully it's "no planned mod support" like Fallout 4 VR, which supports essentially every FO4 mod with an easy workaround.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'd be very surprised if you could get Skyrim mods working properly in VR, at least, the graphical ones. Mod authors are not known for their ability to write well optimized graphical mods.

Oh yeah, the graphical ones will make it run like ass. But there are a ton of great gameplay ones that will probably work fine as long as they don't modify the interface, which the VR version will obviously be changing a lot.

We wont know until it comes out, but we have Fallout 4 as an incredibly similar example. No official support, no way to enable mods within the launcher like with the base game, but really easy to do with Nexus Mod Manager. The only stuff that doesn't work is stuff that modifies the interface -- if it's just extra weapons or different perks or gameplay changes like that they work fine.

• GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Oh, I guess there is voice chat in Payday2, but nobody notices it or leaves it off. Played another round and I heard background noise of the other guy playing, but he never said anything or tried to say anything.

It was a stealth level where you steal cars, and it was awesome sneaking around in VR. But then somebody joined my game, and ran off with a car but I didn't see where he got the key from and it wasn't highlighted with a marker, so I was stuck with no exit to the level. That part sucked, but everything leading up to it was great.

We'll get back there someday.
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    More questions from the annoying PC VR newbie: What's the best way to watch 360degree videos in the rift? There are a few like Lion King and The Greatest Showman that my other half would love. Anything easily accessible from the Oculus Store/Oculus Home?

I use Deo VR Player, it's free and seems to work just fine for 360 videos.

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Any recommendations for what to spend the free $15 if one already owns Superhot and Lone Echo? Right now I'm thinking Robo Recall since my friend that gave me his rift didn't also give me the Xbone controller so it's not reading as a full set for purposes of getting the game for free.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Doesn't Robo Recall come with the touch controllers?

Anywhere, I've only played it briefly but it's bloody fantastic.

Also I solved my mura problem, like, it's gone completely, the screen is crystal clear. If anyone is having problems with "dirty blacks" (that sounds horrific but I can't think of a better phrasing!) then have a look here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/59948/new-curious-findings-about-spud-technical

Very simple, very quick software fix.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Very interesting! I may test that on mine later. I'll report back my findings...

EDIT - Which software fix did you use on that page, @Mr_Grinch? The post from SimonSays28 that links to the Reddit thread?

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular

Also I solved my mura problem, like, it's gone completely, the screen is crystal clear. If anyone is having problems with "dirty blacks" (that sounds horrific but I can't think of a better phrasing!) then have a look here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/59948/new-curious-findings-about-spud-technical

I don't know, it didn't activate with what he gave me (including touch controllers) and everything I've found online indicates it's not reading as a full set for whatever reason. Before I pay for the game I'm going to borrow an xbone controller from a friend and see what it does.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

I don't know, it didn't activate with what he gave me (including touch controllers) and everything I've found online indicates it's not reading as a full set for whatever reason. Before I pay for the game I'm going to borrow an xbone controller from a friend and see what it does.

The free games are a one time deal so if it was his then he has the games.

edited March 2018
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Very interesting! I may test that on mine later. I'll report back my findings...

EDIT - Which software fix did you use on that page, @Mr_Grinch? The post from SimonSays28 that links to the Reddit thread?

I posted at the bottom of it. I tried the solution from reddit which worked but gave me slightly washed out colours, in the end the basic solution was to delete the folder here:

"%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Oculus\Spud"

Now what my understanding of this is is that SPUD files contain calibration settings to offset imperfections in OLED screens. Disabling the use of them (which is what the reddit link does) clears up some of the issues but you lose the benefits of the calibration.

When enabled the oculus software downloads the correct spud file and saves it in that folder. This works GREAT. However upon the oculus service restarting it creates a modification of that file, nothing I've read seems to indicate why, this modification doesn't affect all rift screens but seems to with some newer.

So my solution was to knock up a batch file that deletes the folder, and I've set this to run each time I reset or shutdown my pc using task scheduler.

If you've got the "dirty screen" problem then try shutting down oculus home, deleting that folder and then loading it back up. If the screen is a lot clearer then it's worth doing the above, if it's not then don't bother :-)

Mr_Grinch on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    What's the verdict here on Skyrim VR? I've played the game before and always enjoyed but never finished it. Does the immersion that comes with VR add a lot? Does it *feel* right in VR? (I'd expect that if these are true for PSVR, they'd be even more so for Oculus or Vive.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    What's the verdict here on Skyrim VR? I've played the game before and always enjoyed but never finished it. Does the immersion that comes with VR add a lot? Does it *feel* right in VR? (I'd expect that if these are true for PSVR, they'd be even more so for Oculus or Vive.)

Speaking only for Fallout 4, I think it's a much better hoarding experience than the desktop version. It's not the pinnacle of VR interactivity, but it adds a lot of neat UI ideas to your looting.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf

I posted at the bottom of it. I tried the solution from reddit which worked but gave me slightly washed out colours, in the end the basic solution was to delete the folder here:

Now what my understanding of this is is that SPUD files contain calibration settings to offset imperfections in OLED screens. Disabling the use of them (which is what the reddit link does) clears up some of the issues but you lose the benefits of the calibration.

When enabled the oculus software downloads the correct spud file and saves it in that folder. This works GREAT. However upon the oculus service restarting it creates a modification of that file, nothing I've read seems to indicate why, this modification doesn't affect all rift screens but seems to with some newer.

So my solution was to knock up a batch file that deletes the folder, and I've set this to run each time I reset or shutdown my pc using task scheduler.

If you've got the "dirty screen" problem then try shutting down oculus home, deleting that folder and then loading it back up. If the screen is a lot clearer then it's worth doing the above, if it's not then don't bother :-)

Oh cool, that made mine a lot better, not perfect, but much improved! thanks.

I am really liking Payday2 VR. I liked the base game a whole lot, but I got into it late and never had a group to play with regularly. I got it in some Steam sale with all DLC missions, so there's something like 55 different levels which is a crazy amount of content for a VR game. I've played very little of this game on a monitor, so it's all new to me. I am loving the realistically scaled and detailed real-world maps (not sci-fi, not fantasy, not post-apocalyptic) which go a long way toward immersion. Sneaking around in VR works better than it ever did (lean around corners! look over your shoulder while picking locks!) and the mission objectives really make the combat appealing to me in a way that Robo Recall never approached. I wanted to like Robo Recall, but aimlessly wandering around a city of locked doors while shooting wisecracking vacuum cleaners never really clicked with me. This game feels similar when the action starts, since it basically becomes a wave shooter with teleport locomotion, but having something you're trying to accomplish outside of just shooting stuff gives the shooting more purpose.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    I am really liking Payday2 VR. I liked the base game a whole lot, but I got into it late and never had a group to play with regularly. I got it in some Steam sale with all DLC missions, so there's something like 55 different levels which is a crazy amount of content for a VR game. I've played very little of this game on a monitor, so it's all new to me. I am loving the realistically scaled and detailed real-world maps (not sci-fi, not fantasy, not post-apocalyptic) which go a long way toward immersion. Sneaking around in VR works better than it ever did (lean around corners! look over your shoulder while picking locks!) and the mission objectives really make the combat appealing to me in a way that Robo Recall never approached. I wanted to like Robo Recall, but aimlessly wandering around a city of locked doors while shooting wisecracking vacuum cleaners never really clicked with me. This game feels similar when the action starts, since it basically becomes a wave shooter with teleport locomotion, but having something you're trying to accomplish outside of just shooting stuff gives the shooting more purpose.

There is smooth motion as well, if you want to enable that.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    So anyone from here still play from other suns? I've just been playing it for the past couple days but i'm loving it, pub groups have been surprisingly good too but i figure non pubs are probably better :p

Added @taliosfalcon and @NEO|Phyte on steam. If anybody else wants in on some virtual heist action, I'm gsmp2k (aliased as gsm) on steam.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Added @taliosfalcon and @NEO|Phyte on steam. If anybody else wants in on some virtual heist action, I'm gsmp2k (aliased as gsm) on steam.

I'll probably be on later, but not in VR sadly. I'm Darmak on Steam

JtgVX0H.png
    You miiiight be able to play it in VR with just a gamepad? And if not, it still has the whole crossplay with non-vr. Invite sent!

edited March 2018
    You miiiight be able to play it in VR with just a gamepad? And if not, it still has the whole crossplay with non-vr. Invite sent!

add me as well, [PA] Darkmayo

Just did some offline.. wow they really polished it up. Some of the movement gets a bit weird when you use the combined move option, ladders and getting over ledges etc take a bit to get used to .

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

It actually did make mine just about perfect. I've just kind of learned to live with the mura since I got this thing, and this is the first time I've seen perfect, solid blacks in each eye. I thought I just had a defective headset, it's so weird to see that this is just a software thing. How the hell have they not fixed this yet?

In any case, thanks! I haven't restarted to see if the mura comes back or not, but either way I'll probably be implementing this fix.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    Played a few rounds with Darmak, including the one about stealing cars. You actually do get to sit in the car and drive it with full VR gesture controls! It's really difficult to control, but totally worth it. You grab the steering wheel in space and spin it, and you grab the gear shift and it works like a throttle which is a little weird but whatever. I'm excited to see what other unique VR interactions they've put in to this conversion.

The whole package is so unreal. It feels more like a trip to an amusement park or some interactive version of a Universal Studios stunt show than playing a computer game. I just love it!

This is the solution I went with:

It actually did make mine just about perfect. I've just kind of learned to live with the mura since I got this thing, and this is the first time I've seen perfect, solid blacks in each eye. I thought I just had a defective headset, it's so weird to see that this is just a software thing. How the hell have they not fixed this yet?

In any case, thanks! I haven't restarted to see if the mura comes back or not, but either way I'll probably be implementing this fix.

If you're wanting to set something up automatically to do it then I did this (apologies if this is insultingly simple for anyone!):

- Open Notepad and shove in it:
    rd /S /Q "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Oculus\Spud"
    - Save this somewhere (Mine is in my Documents folder) with the name "OculusReset.bat"
    - You have to make sure it's saved as a ".bat" file and not a ".txt" file. You might need to fiddle with the windows "Display file extensions for known types" settings.
    - Open "Task Scheduler"
    - Create Basic Task with the following properties:

From the Task Scheduler:
    Begin the task: On an event
    Log: System
    Source: USER32
    EventID: 1074

- Set it to launch a program and point it towards the batch file
    - This will now run each time you shut the pc down.
    - I've also added a shortcut to the batch file on my desktop in case I restart the Oculus service and can't be bothered restarting the PC.

And yeah, I've no idea how this hasn't been solved. I'm guessing it's just not enough people spot it? Or report it? I know a lot of people have swapped headsets due to it and it probably wasn't necessary!

edited March 2018
    Anyone with kids, get them in the Disney app that's on the Oculus store. My little girl was absolutely loving it.

Sat on the floor with "Henry" went down super well too.

Is there any good way to 'mark' where the headset straps are? I want to encourage people to put it on to fit properly, but selfishly I don't want to have to get that perfect fit each time too.

In VR news:

The Vive has now dropped in price to $500, putting it a little closer to the price of the Rift: https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-price-drop-500/

That probably would have made my Rift or Vive decision harder had it come earlier, but I'm very happy with what I have now so no regrets for me.

Also the Vive Pro upgrade is going to be $800 for the headset alone, which was the other potential option I was going to go for. No way could I justify that: https://uploadvr.com/vive-pro-hmd-upgrade-800/

That said, I am utterly loving PC VR and have every intention of upgrading hardware some time in the future (be it to a Vive Pro/Vive 2/Rift 2/<other make>)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    $800?

Guess I'm staying with my rift for a long long time

Lol HTC

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    does the "C" stand for "clownshoes"

5gsowHm.png
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Would most people also need to upgrade their video cards as well? Or is the HMD resolution so far behind still that the benefits of the upgraded resolution of the Vive Pro would still be doable by video cards from the last few years?

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I assume on the Vive Pro you're probably gonna want at least a 980/1070.

So this means that a full Vive Pro setup with lighthouses and controllers is gonna be over $1000. That IS clownshoes. Oculus is killing them here.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I love my Vive, but Gizmodo has the right of it...

HTC Can Have My $800 When It Finally Makes the Vive Pro Wireless

I can't fathom paying essentially full Vive price AGAIN just to upgrade the headset, not include the base stations (meaning I'll have a damn hard time re-selling my current headset), and have it NOT be wireless.

Smh.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    To be fair, they did say they were marketing this more towards business users than home users, but I'm sure they're banking on more than a few enthusiasts picking them up as well.

I have to admit I'm a tiny bit tempted, because I want to be able to read my gauges easily in DCS World, but I think I'm going to wait, at the very least to see what the video card situation looks like later this year.

5gsowHm.png
    I don't notice the wire much on my Rift. But I'd take not noticing it at all over a resolution boost right now.

RE increased power demands from GPU, I don't think you'll need to render at a higher resolution to actually see a benefit. Of course that'll help, and would be awesome, but even rendering at the same resolution you'll see a perceived increase in quality (presumably) due to the tighter packed pixels. Considerably less "Screen Door Effect".

yea too much atm to bother upgrading, I am doing fine with my Vive Vanilla. Gimme the wifi and the new knuckle controllers asap

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041

Rius wrote: »
    I assume on the Vive Pro you're probably gonna want at least a 980/1070.

So this means that a full Vive Pro setup with lighthouses and controllers is gonna be over $1000. That IS clownshoes. Oculus is killing them here.

Eh, it's hard to say Oculus is killing them when they don't gave a direct competitor to it -- dropping the base Vive to $500 actually makes their pricepoint mildly competitive with the Rift for the first time in awhile, particularly if they keep running the audiostrap + fallout 4 bundle they have been constantly.

That doesn't make the Pro price any less dumb though. The more direct comparison looking at just the headset would be the Samsung Oddysey, which is much cheaper and includes everything you need to get it running.

If Samsung dropped a version of the Oddysey that works with lighthouse tracking, which they could absolutely do, they would fucking roast HTC right now.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    I love my Vive, but Gizmodo has the right of it...

HTC Can Have My $800 When It Finally Makes the Vive Pro Wireless

I can't fathom paying essentially full Vive price AGAIN just to upgrade the headset, not include the base stations (meaning I'll have a damn hard time re-selling my current headset), and have it NOT be wireless.

Smh.

I'm waiting to see what their excuse/explanation for that price is.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited March 2018
    well fuck, from other suns pointed out to me my rift is very fucked in colors and i guess i'm riftless for a few weeks while i send it back to them. /sigh
    9puhqmrnnzrj.jpg
    Their hardware seems to be very hit or miss

taliosfalcon on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Wait, the Vive Pro isn't wireless? I'd assumed that was the thing that made it different from the regular Vive. What exactly is "pro" about it then?

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Their hardware seems to be very hit or miss

Yeah I had to return the first unit I bought; the calibration was all wonky, slightly skewing the image by a few degrees. Definitely didn't help with the motion sickness... Second unit didn't have that issue (or, so far, any others), and made for a much better experience.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
This discussion has been closed.