As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I love [VIRTUAL REALITY], it's so bad.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Wait, the Vive Pro isn't wireless? I'd assumed that was the thing that made it different from the regular Vive. What exactly is "pro" about it then?

slightly higher resolution.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Wait, the Vive Pro isn't wireless? I'd assumed that was the thing that made it different from the regular Vive. What exactly is "pro" about it then?

About 75% higher resolution is the main selling point. I gather they've integrated their pro audio strap, so sound is now built-in, and apparently pretty good. There's a second HMD-mounted camera, and noise-canceling dual microphones.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

Higher resolution panels, better integrated audio, stereo front facing camera's... There's tangible upgrades, but they have left no upgrade path for existing Vive owners (ie. resale / trade-in route). I honestly expected that price, but I also expected it to include more.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    $800 might not be so hard to stomach if you could generate any profit at all out of your 1.0 headset. It'd still be pretty fuckin' hard to stomach.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Wait, I thought the reason these VR headsets launched with such ludicrously high spec requirements was to create a strong platform that would get cheaper over time and gradually attract more people?

So much for that, I guess.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I wouldn't rush to damn the entire industry based on HTC having a stupid price for their new headset. Oculus since their internet shaking initial price drop have been really aggressive on price, and the WMR headsets are pretty damn sensibly priced. They'll eventually figure it out and get better controllers, and Valve's tracking technology already has non HTC headset makers on board. Just nothing quite commercial yet.

The gen 1 headsets have pretty dramatically fallen in price -- that hasn't changed at all just because of a silly decision on a 1.5 headset.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Wait, I thought the reason these VR headsets launched with such ludicrously high spec requirements was to create a strong platform that would get cheaper over time and gradually attract more people?

So much for that, I guess.

Well hopefully that should continue to happen. The 'Pro' versions sitting at the higher price point should mean that that standard spec models will reduce.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    It gives me hope that by the time PSVR2 comes out, these higher-res panels should already be so much cheaper. Maybe it could even include wireless and still be under $400. But then again, who knows how much the PS5 will cost that will be required to run it...

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I won't even consider VR until it's sub-$100 for a headset. By that far off future, perhaps they'll be a lot of good games that take advantage of the medium as well as technological advancements to remove/greatly reduce motion sickness.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I won't even consider VR until it's sub-$100 for a headset. By that far off future, perhaps they'll be a lot of good games that take advantage of the medium as well as technological advancements to remove/greatly reduce motion sickness.
    Can you even get a worthwhile MONITOR for that sort of price?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Yep.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

By the time VR is that price, monitors should be super cheap. :)

Basically, I don't think I'll ever get a VR device until we've reached mass-market, Ready Player One levels of integration.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Fuck yes! The Thunder (NBA) game is being broadcast in VR tonight, and it's pretty awesome! Unfortunately the NBA VR app doesn't support the Rift or Vive right now which is kind of dumb, but I had the Gear VR laying around and busted it out for the occasion.

They've got more cameras and better angles than the last time I basketball'd in VR two years ago. Once the market is big enough for skycams and such it's going to be fantastic -- it's already a lot of fun as is.

Edit: Phone is low on battery so I'm charging it and going to resume in the 4th quarter. It's really impressive how much effort the NBA has put into it though -- there's a camera just below the rim and behind the backboard on both ends, one at courtside center court and a couple of random ones on the sideline. The VRCast does a great job of switching between the behind the backboard cameras when possession changes, or you can pick one camera and stick to it if you please. They have two announcers that are specific for the VR broadcast too.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It's honestly infuriating that they haven't moved to the Rift. I plan to buy an Oculus Go for it when they come out.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Awww yiss, ordered the Touch controllers, a third camera, and a USB extension cord last night, and they should be here by tomorrow! Of course I have to go back to work tomorrow and my next day off isn't until Tuesday, but whatever. I can lose some sleep for a few nights

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Just bought Sprint Vector, picked up the Duo Pack with Eve because it made it £1 cheaper! Does Eve have any single player? I'm not really too in to multiplayer dogfighting games but it WAS free so I'll give it a go at some point!

Also bought The Tower which is super cheap at £2.99 (that is literally less than I spent on a hot chocolate earlier). I read a preview of it ages back and was gutted I'd never get to try it on the PSVR. I'm not expecting a super refined experience but a conveyor belt of death sounds very entertaining.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    I just got back from a trip to Las Vegas. At the MGM Grand, I got to try a wireless VR shooter experience.

There were three scenarios to choose from, my friend and I picked the sci-fi killer robot scenario. The gear included a backpack, Razer headset, OSVR HMD, and an assault rifle with PSMove-style pingpong balls on it.

It was fun! There was a bit of jank, as player movement was not exactly 1:1 (felt like you moved less in VR than IRL), and there was a bit of input lag. Otherwise though, it was a good experience. Solid shooting, dodging, and robot exploding. Tracking was good. My friend had never done anything in VR before, so he noticed the low fov scuba-mask effect (while I did not) instead of the jankiness I mentioned. As an introduction to VR, it was pretty good. For someone who's been using a Rift/Touch setup since launch, it kind of felt like they'd finalized the hardware back in the DK2 era and optimized it for 2-8 players.

It was also $45/person for ~45 mins total, so my friend was understandably more impressed with it than I was, but it was definitely worthwhile to try it once.

• Options
    I really want to try some sort of VR arcade thing. I know your mortal blitz guys have something like that set up in another country.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Skyrim VR is getting me close to ordering a Rift. The price of the Vive bundle with the audio strap and sensor mounts is still pushing it for me. The Touch controllers seem really great, too. However, I'm concerned my glasses will be an issue with the Rift. I think they may fit (they're about 5.2" wide and slightly less than 1" tall), but I don't want to scratch the Rift's lenses and I'm worried about troubles with focusing the image. Does anyone have any experience with lens protectors?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    I'd be keen to find out too, I insist my other half takes her glasses off so she's half blind in VR!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I found the Rift to be super uncomfortable over glasses. I suggest contact lenses, if you can stand them.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    All of my friends have had no issues with wearing glasses and using my Rift, but then they have normal sized heads and normal to small glasses so less issues in general.

So after I got off work last night I finally had a chance to set up and use the Touch controllers and holy fuck they're awesome. I had some issues with sensor placement at first, like the setup wanted me to turn one until it looks like it's hardly looking at the play area at all. However, things work flawlessly so apparently they know what they're doing and I should stop second guessing the software lol. Then I spent about an hour just fucking around in the Oculus home, getting used to the controllers and redecorating and playing around with stuff. I started downloads for a few free games and apps and played some Minecraft VR for about 20 minutes. Movement didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, and I quickly got over what little discomfort I felt at first. Then I had fun just flying around in creative mode, punching villagers, jumping off mountains, building tiny shacks and walls, and digging tunnels. I think it's amazing to actually feel like I'm inside the things I see and create, and I can easily see myself spending more time with it in the future (once I get some time, 12 hour shifts are not conducive to gaming)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I'm generally fine with glasses in my Vive, but for my own use I got some custom lenses in frames from these guys, who appear to still be going strong;

https://vr-lens-lab.com/faq/

There might be other companies doing this by now, too.

• Options
    Someone needs to make Black & White VR a thing, because these controllers would be perfect for it. Is there anything similar out there currently?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Sadly not really. There are a couple of god games, but they're really far from being what we want. But this continues to be the best idea ever, someone hear our pleas!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Though it’s not really the same genre exactly, I feel like Brass Tactics does a pretty good job showing how the mechanics at least might work in a Black & White VR game.

https://youtu.be/yzTwfjwRudg

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Though it’s not really the same genre exactly, I feel like Brass Tactics does a pretty good job showing how the mechanics at least might work in a Black & White VR game.

https://youtu.be/yzTwfjwRudg

Oh, I meant to give that a try! I'll give it a look tonight, thanks for bringing it up!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Re: rift and glasses, my glasses are very comfortable under the rift but I can attest it scratches super easily from them, I couldnt tell you when my glasses lens made contact with my rift but it did and put in a big gouge dead center my first hour of ownership. That being said I've since bought some of these on Reddits suggestion and they don't impact the view at all. https://www.amazon.com/Healingshield-Watch-Protector-Guard-1-65in/dp/B00SJ22D5Q

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I really want to try some sort of VR arcade thing. I know your mortal blitz guys have something like that set up in another country.
    @Mr_Grinch There's apparently one in London now, no idea how good it is though.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I have a BoboVR Z4 google cardboard headset with adjustable focus. I wish my Rift had a focus knob too, because the focus adjustment is good enough that I can use the Z4 without glasses.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Hey all, probably a silly question, but is there anything at all out their for PS VR that’s good of the old school dungeon delving nature, something akin to a Legends of Grimrock VR?

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    All of my friends have had no issues with wearing glasses and using my Rift, but then they have normal sized heads and normal to small glasses so less issues in general.

Everyone with glasses who tried my Rift has been Asian, and it hasn't worked well with any of them. The lenses are always shoving right up against the glasses. But Asians generally have low nose bridges, so their glasses are usually sitting kind of forward. I've read that the Vive is better in this regard.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

Everyone with glasses who tried my Rift has been Asian, and it hasn't worked well with any of them. The lenses are always shoving right up against the glasses. But Asians generally have low nose bridges, so their glasses are usually sitting kind of forward. I've read that the Vive is better in this regard.

I was going to go with the Vive originally for that reason, but the Rift's $400 price point Touch controllers kind of seal the deal in the other direction. I did get to try the Rift just recently, and my glasses fit as I thought they would. I quickly lost myself in that opening demo with the electronic butterflies. I was grinning like an idiot. The headset did take some fiddling to get seated right, however.

If I do open up my wallet for it, I think I'll order the lens protectors @taliosfalcon linked and also look into contacts. The latter is something I've been meaning to give another go regardless.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Is there anything good on PSVR that isn't over in just a few hours? Aside from Skyrim, that jank is boring. I know there's RE7, but I'm looking for something more VR specific, preferably with motion.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    SUPER

HOT

Edit: though it's only ongoing fun if you're the sort of person who likes speedrunning and high score breaking I guess

Atheraal on
  • Options
    Yeah, Superhot VR was my first purchase for the motion controls. I love it, but it is Supershort. I had to put it away before I burned out on it completely.

• Options
    Sprint vector maybe? Too bad Sairento doesn't come out for a while on PSVR, it looks badass

I played a demo of Battlezone, it seemed pretty fun, but is also using the game pad, not the moves. Same for Moss.

Farpoint or Raw Data?

• Options
    I wanna play Farpoint and Moss, but those are 5 hours or less too. I've got nothing against short games, but I was hoping to find something I might not beat the same day i buy it.

• Options
    The Solus Project looks interesting and is apparently 15-20 hours

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Skyrim VR is getting me close to ordering a Rift. The price of the Vive bundle with the audio strap and sensor mounts is still pushing it for me. The Touch controllers seem really great, too. However, I'm concerned my glasses will be an issue with the Rift. I think they may fit (they're about 5.2" wide and slightly less than 1" tall), but I don't want to scratch the Rift's lenses and I'm worried about troubles with focusing the image. Does anyone have any experience with lens protectors?

The cheapest option is to have these lens adapters 3D printed and then order super cheap glasses online for the lenses. That's the option I went with after the Rift scratched the fuck out of my glasses and it's worked pretty darn well. I did also order a second faceplate so I can easily-ish change between using the adapter for me and not having for the rest of my family.

This discussion has been closed.