As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    What's the 2017 version?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Woo office reorganisations: I get to move from the airy open plan office that gets the sun and has coworkers I like in it, to a small lightless backroom designed for 4 people and which will contain 6 other people for whom my opinion ranges between dislike and despise.

The reason given by my manager: "Sales wanted your old desk, and I said it was okay as I don't want to have to walk as far to come talk to you". :mad:

It's a good thing the ongoing world events are here to give me some perspective, or I'd probably be angry rather than grumpy :).

Dis' on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    My office mug was a gift from my husband.

6a61a3e3a4b8f554a5efb8c27d00c16f.jpg

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My mug is a ghostbuster one. I do not use it often since I do not drink coffee.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    What's the 2017 version?

The dealership was saying that they would treat the exterior and interior with a clear coat & scotch guard (different chemical, same idea). Then I'd have a 3 year warranty against any blemishes inside or out. It was $1,495. It comes from the factory like that, so the dealer was literally selling a warranty cleaning service.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I want to preemptively thank my coworker for deciding to "muscle through" his stomach flu so he can infect the rest of the office rather than taking a paid day off and using his health insurance to pay for medication, neither of which will be available to me later this week when I am invariably laid up with the same condition.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Madican wrote: »
    Hmm, sore throat. I really hope that doesn't turn into something, I need to drive up north again tomorrow for an interview on Monday.

Gonna probably order some wor wonton soup for dinner. In the meantime it's tea with honey.

Honey citron tea?

29da0ce914243a6efb83bc9e0c337b5d.gif

Peas on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Having a day where I feel completely on edge at work. Hard to explain, but just anxious and full of nerves despite having no real reason to feel that way. I have a panel interview later today (we're hiring for a new team member) but that isn't anything that would normally bug me. Not sure if it's lack of sleep, the news or just one of those days but I really wish I was working from home today.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have a two liter water bottle I take for my lunch I chug that thing every lunch
    I did not really think about until someone pointed it was 2l of liquid I was chugging down.
    It usually either tea or kool aid

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    So the absolute worst case scenario has occurred. They sold all the shares in the North American company to the boss. She is the sole owner of this company now. I cannot even fucking believe it. Presumably because they wanted to just get rid of this altogether.

I immediately took my laptop out and am looking for other work; she's still proselytizing about how this was the best thing to do, and how she's our saviour. Prioritizing the DC area because I would prefer not to have to move again. If anyone knows of any engineering opportunities, please let me know. I'm looking for mechanical or product design opportunities.

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    So the absolute worst case scenario has occurred. They sold all the shares in the North American company to the boss. She is the sole owner of this company now. I cannot even fucking believe it. Presumably because they wanted to just get rid of this altogether.

I immediately took my laptop out and am looking for other work; she's still proselytizing about how this was the best thing to do, and how she's our saviour. Prioritizing the DC area because I would prefer not to have to move again. If anyone knows of any engineering opportunities, please let me know. I'm looking for mechanical or product design opportunities.

Oh fuck.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular

wow

I hope you find something better quickly

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    watch her crash and burn and them come back and buy it at cheap

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    End wrote: »

wow

I hope you find something better quickly

Least I'm employed this time while I look, and my resume is boosted greatly by the CES project. But fuck, yeah, I do too. Portfolio to be updated tonight. Going to sneakily compile a list of companies today.

Steam
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    That is the opposite of good news

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

HOLY
    SHIT

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    milski wrote: »
    That is the opposite of good news

No doubt. That intel Cello was given last week was so far off the mark.
    e: Sorry you have to go searching Cello. As a fellow engineer (different industry), it is a really shitty time to be looking for work.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Correctly assumed I had something over the weekend and am now in the peak of whatever it is. Going to call the place at 8 and see if it would be possible to hold a phone interview otherwise I'll just have to let this one go. It's just another OT job, but more rolls of the dice can only be good.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

So...whats the countdown on her firing everyone who 'slighted' her?

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »

So...whats the countdown on her firing everyone who 'slighted' her?

God only knows. I'm going to stay quiet and stop pushing back on her shitty decisions. Just going to focus on getting out of here.

Steam
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Curse ze Germans!

But really that is just...so incomprehensibly stupid

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about getting this mug for work

2,width=500,height=500,backgroundColor=fff,version=1442465307.webp
    (It's a 20 oz mug)

But I suspect I'd be better off getting a decent travel mug and making it the night before for the drive in.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I have far too many mugs at work. It's to the point that I bought a mug tree at a craft sale a few years back to hold them. It's basically a birch branch with sticks coming off it to hold mugs and is gloriously ugly according to a teammate.

I have one from my hometown's historical society from when I worked there, one from my father's old employer because it's cool and looks important, some nerdy ones, and then just a few gifts from vendors/coworkers.

Today is going better - first applicant for our opening was super nice and had a great disposition for our team which has a few folks with the tendency to lean towards being hot headed.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I so don't want to go into work today and listen to the two new guys crow about the Muslim ban.

• Options
    It just occurred to me that my boss is out for the week (gone to the home office), but hasn't put in an order for office supplies.
    We have 1 more day worth of coffee.

'Bout to get real grumpy up in here.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I hate the part of filling out certain paperwork where I have to list addresses and contact information for jobs I haven't worked at in years. Especially because my work laptop crashed which had a master document with all of that information on it.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

I'm not sure what your exact field is, but the JHU Applied Physics Laboratory is just up the way in Laurel. I'm sure there are a lot of potential positions, if your portfolio applies. The projects I know of are space/satellite/defense oriented, though that campus is huge and has many different areas of focus.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    (note: Most things relating to defense, space AND satellites require citizenship or permanent residency)

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Yeah, good point. Ugh.

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm struggling to think of anything in the area that wouldn't at least require US citizenship. The majority seems to require at least a clearance.
    Even the University ones around here (APL and Georgia Tech's research Lab) are partnered with US gov. stuff.
    Smaller startups maybe?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Blech, I hate feeling vaguely coldy at work

I'm dosed up on cold medicine but obviously it doesn't remove every symptom. Just... blaurgh.

Also still no word on the transfer. Slow company is sloow.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Maybe they are going to open a new NA office and you'll be getting a phone call?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    My office mug was a gift from my husband.

6a61a3e3a4b8f554a5efb8c27d00c16f.jpg

I can see why you married him.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Hey Cello, is there any possibility of the owners who sold off your office to the bad boss taking any of the employees with them? You, for example?

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Maybe they are going to open a new NA office and you'll be getting a phone call?

That's a nice dream, but given the silence from them I assume it's not going to be reality.

I'm a Canadian here on a visa, so finding work that doesn't require citizenship is going to be great.

Steam
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    webguy20 wrote: »

That's a nice dream, but given the silence from them I assume it's not going to be reality.

I'm a Canadian here on a visa, so finding work that doesn't require citizenship is going to be great.

God, I'm so sorry, Cello. I'm hoping this has all just been some big old cosmic trial testing you before giving you your ultimate dream job because my god do you deserve better than you've been getting.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Hey Cello, is there any possibility of the owners who sold off your office to the bad boss taking any of the employees with them? You, for example?

Yeah, was coming to say this.

Seems like it was a "we can't oust you, but we can all leave you" type deal. Shotgun clause potentially involved.

If the other owners were on your side and seeing the value in you and talking about "hey stuff is coming" then it seems to me like they were thinking about who they could take with them.

Might be contractual/visa/who knows issues, but if I were you I would outright ask them what's next for them ("us" hint hint).

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Rocker cover gaskets are usually an easy fix on older engines, yeah. And chasing vacuum leaks is a real SOB of a job! My usual method is "you have a vacuum leak? Time to replace ALL the vacuum lines!" That way you tear everything apart once only, because vacuum hose is cheap enough that pulling most of the shit off the top half of the engine more than once makes the job an instant loss-maker. I can understand why tried just replacing the hose they thought was the bad one the first time, but after that they were chasing their own tails.

Yeah, I think if they had it to do over again they'd have just ripped out every hose they could see.

They're generally all the same type of hose and of the same age, so when one starts to dry out and crack or rot, you know the rest are close to death too. It can be real fucking difficult to sell people on preventative maintenance though, so a lot of places don't even try. Except dealerships! They like to try to wring every possible cent out of you - "your brake pads are almost worn out" fuck off I fitted them myself last week, they're basically brand new, gimme my car I am leaving right now and never coming back.

I play my dealership every time so hard, and they continue to fall for it. I'll play the dope, and let them compile this huge list of things I need, and all the little "talks" with management to get deals on etc etc, let them just get their crotches wet with anticipation as the list gets monstrous.

Then I 'm like, "so ya, that's all 100% on my service plan right and I ain't paying nothing right?"

angry faced ".....yes...."

Daaaamn. I'm still driving the car I bought with cow money when I was seventeen, but now I super look forward to having a warranty. The Lawful Evil potential seems endless.

Ya my service plan extended warranty cost about 300 a year to extend for 3 more years, I have gotten around 3000$ in service in the last 2 years. it is VERY worth it. ( especially since I drive for a living, the peace of mind knowing anything happens is fixed and isn't costing me anything is a big weight off shoulders too)

I'm glad to hear that. I've been trained by a lifetime of buying electronics that service plans are bullshit, so I probably would fight to get the lowest service plan possible. But now that you mention it, it really does make a lot of sense for something that takes as much maintenance as a car. Especially since I've also tended to put a lot of mileage on my poor loyal Grand Vitara over the years.

Yeah, the cost/benefit ratio doesn't make sense with most electronics (even though I've used American Express's free extended warranty to completely replace two laptops after they died within their third year). But with cars, particularly new cars, those are huge investments and while maintenance alone can be hundreds of dollars repairs can easily go into the multiple thousands.

I'm not lucky like Wisemantobes to have a service warranty, but I do have an active bumper-to-bumper repair warranty on our minivan and it has more than paid for itself over the three years we've had the car.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Oh man, that sucks @Cello!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Rocker cover gaskets are usually an easy fix on older engines, yeah. And chasing vacuum leaks is a real SOB of a job! My usual method is "you have a vacuum leak? Time to replace ALL the vacuum lines!" That way you tear everything apart once only, because vacuum hose is cheap enough that pulling most of the shit off the top half of the engine more than once makes the job an instant loss-maker. I can understand why tried just replacing the hose they thought was the bad one the first time, but after that they were chasing their own tails.

Yeah, I think if they had it to do over again they'd have just ripped out every hose they could see.

They're generally all the same type of hose and of the same age, so when one starts to dry out and crack or rot, you know the rest are close to death too. It can be real fucking difficult to sell people on preventative maintenance though, so a lot of places don't even try. Except dealerships! They like to try to wring every possible cent out of you - "your brake pads are almost worn out" fuck off I fitted them myself last week, they're basically brand new, gimme my car I am leaving right now and never coming back.

I play my dealership every time so hard, and they continue to fall for it. I'll play the dope, and let them compile this huge list of things I need, and all the little "talks" with management to get deals on etc etc, let them just get their crotches wet with anticipation as the list gets monstrous.

Then I 'm like, "so ya, that's all 100% on my service plan right and I ain't paying nothing right?"

angry faced ".....yes...."

Daaaamn. I'm still driving the car I bought with cow money when I was seventeen, but now I super look forward to having a warranty. The Lawful Evil potential seems endless.

Ya my service plan extended warranty cost about 300 a year to extend for 3 more years, I have gotten around 3000$ in service in the last 2 years. it is VERY worth it. ( especially since I drive for a living, the peace of mind knowing anything happens is fixed and isn't costing me anything is a big weight off shoulders too)

I'm glad to hear that. I've been trained by a lifetime of buying electronics that service plans are bullshit, so I probably would fight to get the lowest service plan possible. But now that you mention it, it really does make a lot of sense for something that takes as much maintenance as a car. Especially since I've also tended to put a lot of mileage on my poor loyal Grand Vitara over the years.

Yeah, the cost/benefit ratio doesn't make sense with most electronics (even though I've used American Express's free extended warranty to completely replace two laptops after they died within their third year). But with cars, particularly new cars, those are huge investments and while maintenance alone can be hundreds of dollars repairs can easily go into the multiple thousands.

I'm not lucky like Wisemantobes to have a service warranty, but I do have an active bumper-to-bumper repair warranty on our minivan and it has more than paid for itself over the three years we've had the car.

For anyone else looking to get an extended warranty on a car, these are some tips I've read to make sure its a good deal. First, make sure it is affordable based on known issues of the model of car you bought "We see a lot of issues with the transmission at 120k miles" for example. If a model of car is super reliable for most of its lifespan, an extended warranty might not be a good buy. Secondly, make sure it is not rolled into the financing for the car, and is purchased separately. Don't pay interest on intangibles. Finally, if at all possible make sure it is transferable to a new owner if you sell before the warranty period is up. I believe most dealer warranties are, but it pays to read the fine print. This can be a nice selling point too.

They can be a good buy, especially if you keep a car for the long haul. I always figure $100 in maintenance a month for a paid off car, so if an extended warranty can potentially reduce that monthly expense, then super!

Oh yea, ignore all those phone calls and flyers from third party companies trying to sell extended warranties. They're just looking to wring money from people.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.