As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/Battletech] The Oosik Irregulars are going to become canon! *EVACUATE THREAD*

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I might be logging on later to try and get the linebacker and some of the cosmetics.

I've gotta say though that the presentation of the event reminds me of an advertisement for a "going out of business" clearance sale.

I'll likely pilot my twin cerppc shadow cat, and if lrms are vogue at the moment, I'll probably strip away some armor and a heatsink or two to accommodate a NARC launcher to try and boost my point earning potential.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I saw "allies blowing out my weapons" and was like "that better not be" *scrolls up a bit* "dammit buttcleft what the entire fuck"

You would expect better out of T1/T2s.

If the tier system actually meant anything.

Everyone that plays the game will eventually be T1, the only question is how long will it take, cause PGI has developed a system where every turd floats to the top eventually.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I might be logging on later to try and get the linebacker and some of the cosmetics.

I've gotta say though that the presentation of the event reminds me of an advertisement for a "going out of business" clearance sale.

I'll likely pilot my twin cerppc shadow cat, and if lrms are vogue at the moment, I'll probably strip away some armor and a heatsink or two to accommodate a NARC launcher to try and boost my point earning potential.

I dunno...all of the cockpit items are things that can't be gotten anymore (I know that the codes for the PC Gamer, Nvidia, Razer, and Alienware items were all deactivated years ago).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I think this is more of a, 'Please try it out.' type event.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    I saw "allies blowing out my weapons" and was like "that better not be" *scrolls up a bit* "dammit buttcleft what the entire fuck"

You would expect better out of T1/T2s.

If the tier system actually meant anything.

Everyone that plays the game will eventually be T1, the only question is how long will it take, cause PGI has developed a system where every turd floats to the top eventually.

Calling it a developed system is a very big stretch

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Played a bunch in group queue matches last night with a buddy of mine who hasn't played in months. Notable events: second match in, we dropped into Sonork's match; eventually, my buddy decided to sell off all of his IS mechs (Urbie and King Crab) to buy a MAD-IIC-D, and the first match with it we get dropped on Frozen City against Mech the Dane......and while we lost that round, I got to kill the Dane; and, lastly, my solo queue experience has been one of "LRMs everywhere!"...which is kinda annoying, but as long as Alpine or Polar stay off my map rotation, it's not all that bad for my Scorch. By the time we called it quits, I had over 1/3 of the needed match score to complete the event.

Well our game experience has been the opposite.

I had one game where the enemy team had at least 3 LRM carries that hung back on Frozen city, so on that one my 3xAMS actually did some work.

And a couple that had a lone LRM boat. Have to say advancing on an LRM boat and watching their missiles just vanish before they reach you is quite satisfying.

I had a few matches where I didn't encounter a single missile on the enemy team, no LRMs, SRMs, or Streaks.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    Browsing youtubes i found this Linebacker Build that looks fun.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=474&l=931fa7814484a504082d6b6a06e796d23b16dd97

• Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    Played a bunch in group queue matches last night with a buddy of mine who hasn't played in months. Notable events: second match in, we dropped into Sonork's match; eventually, my buddy decided to sell off all of his IS mechs (Urbie and King Crab) to buy a MAD-IIC-D, and the first match with it we get dropped on Frozen City against Mech the Dane......and while we lost that round, I got to kill the Dane; and, lastly, my solo queue experience has been one of "LRMs everywhere!"...which is kinda annoying, but as long as Alpine or Polar stay off my map rotation, it's not all that bad for my Scorch. By the time we called it quits, I had over 1/3 of the needed match score to complete the event.

I had one game where the enemy team had at least 3 LRM carries that hung back on Frozen city, so on that one my 3xAMS actually did some work.

And a couple that had a lone LRM boat. Have to say advancing on an LRM boat and watching their missiles just vanish before they reach you is quite satisfying.

I had a few matches where I didn't encounter a single missile on the enemy team, no LRMs, SRMs, or Streaks.

When i was playing this morning, it seemed like over half the enemy team mounted LRMs.

except for the one round where I tried LRMs, Thats the one match the entire enemy team had AMS and stayed clumped. Basically Iron Dome of Invulnerability.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Sonork wrote: »
    Browsing youtubes i found this Linebacker Build that looks fun.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=474&l=931fa7814484a504082d6b6a06e796d23b16dd97

I've had great rounds with just the twin ERPPC + 1 ERML. build

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've always been a brawler over a sniper. Though the linebacker does have the perfect mounts for hill peeking.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    There's one, I wanna say the -D, that has 2 missile mounts in each arm and one very high energy mount in each torso

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    The "gyr" in "gyrfalcon" is pronounced rather like "jur", which would imply the Night Gyr is also a "Night Jur". Pronouncing the latter part like the English word "gyre" is therefore not correct.

themoreyouknow.gif

• Options
    edited May 2017
    The "gyr" in "gyrfalcon" is pronounced rather like "jur", which would imply the Night Gyr is also a "Night Jur". Pronouncing the latter part like the English word "gyre" is therefore not correct.

themoreyouknow.jif

Tox on
  • Options
    I stripped two and a half tons of heatsinks and armor off of my shadowcat to make room for a NARC launcher and half a ton of ammo. If successful, I might try to make room for a full ton of NARC ammo.

Also it might be foolish, but I setup my skill points to give me two UAVs and two artillery strikes. After match profits, what is that?

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    I stripped two and a half tons of heatsinks and armor off of my shadowcat to make room for a NARC launcher and half a ton of ammo. If successful, I might try to make room for a full ton of NARC ammo.

Also it might be foolish, but I setup my skill points to give me two UAVs and two artillery strikes. After match profits, what is that?
    I don't know about the cost, but those new artillery skill nodes are a hell of a drug. I died (foolishly) in a Spider with ~220 damage. Just before dying, I started an artillery strike--and the end-of-match screen had me at 460-something damage. It's pretty strong for an investment of just three skill nodes (and just one more node gets you an extra strike).

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

The UAVs are 40k a pop, and I think the artillery is the same, so 160k C-Bills per match if you use them all?

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Correct. It's unlikely that the consumables will offset their Cbill cost. I'm hoping that they'll let me score more points though and help speed up the event.

That's why I tried to squeeze in a NARC launcher as well....although now I'm remembering how stupid NARC rewards are in this game. You only get any reward if a teammate scores the killing blow with LRMs. No reward for landing narcs if even a machinegun snipes the killing blow...

How many years have they been trying to reward infowar stuff again?

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Ok, so after playing a match yesterday with @Erlkönig some Kit Fox came over and said he's going to support the Assaults with AMS and ECM. I have to say after that match, I really, REALLY want to get one with both and hover around the Assaults. Man, that thing by itself was like a shield of awesomeness. Nothing, I mean NOTHING got through it. I could peek around corners and fire my triple LPL at everything while the missiles flew and were snuffed from the air like they didn't exist.

Also it was a blast playing with 5 other Oosiks yesterday. DIdn't want to drop out for food, but man that was great times. Most of the matches Cheerios we carried the team to the loss line, but we did it with style. Then others we out damaged the rest of the team carrying us to victory.

I did notice that there seemed to be a bit more lights out now that everybody figured them out. They're still scary thanks to the lack of mobility of Assaults. Also lots and lots of IS mechs once again. Not sure if it is because of the event, but even saw some Cataphracts lumbering about.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Woo Event complete!

Ended up riding my Banshee 3M(C) to victory. I have never changed the loadout since getting it, since it fits with my play style. The 3 LPL at cockpit height is truly a blessing. Plus the 4ML backup to push those idiots who get into brawling range does work as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Woo Event complete!

Ended up riding my Banshee 3M(C) to victory. I have never changed the loadout since getting it, since it fits with my play style. The 3 LPL at cockpit height is truly a blessing. Plus the 4ML backup to push those idiots who get into brawling range does work as well.

Y'know, it's kinda funny (and I'm kind of an ass for doing it), but I was grouped with a RL friend last night to get work on the event (after our impromptu 6 Oosik bash, I was at 92% completion), and after I had gotten the match score to wrap up the event, I stopped giving a crap and started using mechs that I haven't piloted in aaaaaages. Took out my Dragon-Flame in a B33f build, Executioner, Battlemaster, and Gargoyle. And, in each one, the first match out of the gate with them went astonishingly well (like, well over 600 damage). That B33f-flambe, in particular, is kinda nasty (AC20 + ERPPC).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Woo Event complete!

Y'know, it's kinda funny (and I'm kind of an ass for doing it), but I was grouped with a RL friend last night to get work on the event (after our impromptu 6 Oosik bash, I was at 92% completion), and after I had gotten the match score to wrap up the event, I stopped giving a crap and started using mechs that I haven't piloted in aaaaaages. Took out my Dragon-Flame in a B33f build, Executioner, Battlemaster, and Gargoyle. And, in each one, the first match out of the gate with them went astonishingly well (like, well over 600 damage). That B33f-flambe, in particular, is kinda nasty (AC20 + ERPPC).

Yeah, I did the same. Built out a Panther I bought in a sale long ago for 1ERPPC and 2SRM4s. Got 8 assists and almost 250 damage in a mech that I've never played before. The ERPPC helps keep morons under cover and the SRM4s are just to scare mechs away when they get to close (only 1.5t of ammo). It might have helped that I put 91 points of skills on it to keep it running cool.

Then took out the freebie Linebacker with just 2ERPPCs, 1ERSL, 3 extra DHS and TC2 and did almost 500 damage in it. I was treating it like a bigger Shadow Cat (and this thing didn't have any skills on it). Swapped out the TC2 for a TC1 and put on an extra DHS to cool it down faster.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Woo Event complete!

Yeah, I did the same. Built out a Panther I bought in a sale long ago for 1ERPPC and 2SRM4s. Got 8 assists and almost 250 damage in a mech that I've never played before. The ERPPC helps keep morons under cover and the SRM4s are just to scare mechs away when they get to close (only 1.5t of ammo). It might have helped that I put 91 points of skills on it to keep it running cool.

Then took out the freebie Linebacker with just 2ERPPCs, 1ERSL, 3 extra DHS and TC2 and did almost 500 damage in it. I was treating it like a bigger Shadow Cat (and this thing didn't have any skills on it). Swapped out the TC2 for a TC1 and put on an extra DHS to cool it down faster.

The ludicrous part about how decently some of the mechs performed are the builds that I used. My Gargoyle, for example, has a primarily effective range of 188m (which means lights trying to crawl up my asshole thinking I'm an easy kill are my bread and butter). Figured I'd share the builds that I was using for the Gargoyle and Executioner (both are, as far as I've noticed, fairly unconventional):

Gargoyle: Lazer-Dong
    Executioner: Fisto

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Just saw a kit fox and a nova take out a pair of LRM stalkers

it was pretty glorious.

• Options

So, I think I figured it out: PGI set the matchmaker to "Ultimate Troll" setting. As soon as I switched over to my AMS/ECM focused Kit Fox, not a single LRM was to be seen. As soon as I hop back into my brawlers, it's LRMs everywhere.

• Options

So, I think I figured it out: PGI set the matchmaker to "Ultimate Troll" setting. As soon as I switched over to my AMS/ECM focused Kit Fox, not a single LRM was to be seen. As soon as I hop back into my brawlers, it's LRMs everywhere.

Easy solution. You need a brawling partner to cancel that out.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

same experience i posted about yesterday, in reverse.

LRMs everywhere and not an AMS in sight, until I dropped into an LRM mech, then everyone had AMS and no LRMs.

• Options

Easy solution. You need a brawling partner to cancel that out.

Actually, I just had a single match where there was an abundance of Lurmers. Now, because I took all the AMS overload skills, combined with a bunch of range skills, it looks like the god-arm Kit Fox can delete up to LRM80. I kept seeing four sets of missile contrails and they all just vaporized before they even got close to the target mechs.

• Options
    I saw an old vid of the b33f where he got behind an LRM boat in his kit fox and just stood there for a little while. Every time the Stalker shoot off its wad, they'd all just evaporate within the first 10 yards or so.

It was pretty great

• Options
    Had a couple of decent LRM opposition games.

AMS seems a lot more popular now, which makes LRMs pretty much useless, for a weapon system that was never really all that powerful.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Had a couple of decent LRM opposition games.

AMS seems a lot more popular now, which makes LRMs pretty much useless, for a weapon system that was never really all that powerful.

For the event, AMS is godly...when the enemy team is boating LRMs. I was noticing in my Kit Fox that, even only doing 100-200 damage and no kills, AMS missiles shot down were contributing to my score big time (like, on a losing team, having the above combat performance, and getting top score for the match on both teams).

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    1.5k left and still two days left to do it so I should make it easy for the event reward.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    So...uh...if you get the map vote options where Crimson Strait is winning the map, and the mode is between Escort and literally anything else...take the anything else (burn your multiplier if you need to...but don't take that combo). I seem to remember hearing about it back when the mode was first added to the game, but it sounds like the pathing of the VIP mech is bugged to where it'll get stuck on some mystery bit of invisible geometry.

EDIT - Who's Undoubt (or was it Undoubted?) around here? Ran into an Oosik by that name on my last match of the night on Domination Tourmaline. Sorry for the surprise SRM24 + twin LBX10s to your back. That Scorch I'm piloting is definitely subtle....subtle like a t-rex.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I don't know about invisible geometry but crimson strait is basically the single worst map for escort. Attackers will always win.

Because there's a point where the VIP pushes saddle, from the side with the platform. And that's after walking up the platform. It's really just a terrible, terrible path that they put in because they wanted escort to be on as many maps as possible.

e: Like, I'm all for new game modes. And I like that escort is asymmetrical. I wish Incursion was as well, and maybe one of the others! But crimson strait escort is just. So. Bad.

Tox on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Event done as of last night! How is it going for the rest of you folk?!

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Finished it up, did a surprising amount on mechs that I had already mastered instead of taking advantage of the 2x XP to learn new mechs.

Also, took some time to clear out my friends list, as it will apparently list the last time someone has logged in, as long as its more recent than Sept 2016.

Thought I would peruse the OOSK roster to see how much room I could free up there if people were interested in cleaning it up, and discovered that the feature showing last login is broken for Unit Roster. :LOLPGI:

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wanted to do a census of the unit member logins a while back using the list, but it's borked sideways so hard it's useless.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    Yeah, I wanted to do a census of the unit member logins a while back using the list, but it's borked sideways so hard it's useless.

Wasn't PGI offering to help Leaders by telling them when people last logged in a while ago? Or was that something people were just asking about and that's what I was thinking of?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I mean anybody who does have a frr icon probably hasn't played in a few years so it would be safe to remove them.

• Options
    I mean anybody who does have a frr icon probably hasn't played in a few years so it would be safe to remove them.

honestly of of the 150ish people in the unit, i would say all but 12 are safe to remove.

If a mistake happens, oh well, post in the thread, problem solved.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I may just do a census of the last two threads, to see who's been popping up here, then figure something out from there.

Or, y'know, leave things the way they are because *lazy*.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no