As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RESIDENT WEEVIL

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Man, this game took a nosedive the moment (end game spoilers)
    You fight the giant mutated version of Jack. When that monstrosity showed up and grabbed me I actually said out loud "Oh right, this is a resident evil game".

The flashback on the boat was alright - but making you essentially do the boat twice was dull. And the salt mines felt pretty pointless.

I did enjoy the catharsis of the final boss fight, though. It wasn't designed to be anything but you unloading into the antagonists face, which I thought was a nice reprieve from the difficult boss encounters before

And YET - I love this game. The best horror game in years, in my opinion. I just feel like about an hour and a half of fat could have been trimmed off the end.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I only wish they would have explained the whole
    'lets cut your hand off, then staple it back together, and its perfectly fine now'. thing.

I was mostly expecting to have learned later that you were infected, which would at least have the healing make sense.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    azith28 wrote: »
    I only wish they would have explained the whole
    'lets cut your hand off, then staple it back together, and its perfectly fine now'. thing.

I was mostly expecting to have learned later that you were infected, which would at least have the healing make sense.

I agree
    I thought that reveal was coming but it never did.

Honestly, if they had Mia remember / tell you the truth on the raft, have you play the boat from her perspective (framed as her telling you the story of what went down), and then her revealing to you that you're infected, hence your working arm - That would have given Ethan the motivation to go back to the farm and finish things so he wouldn't be turned.

It could have explained his hand, skipped doing the boat twice, skipped the salt mines AND the lab (which I feel did the game zero favours narritive wise anyways) and just made the thing a lot tighter.

Tasteticle on

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I'm have a feeling that Ethan
    works for whatever group Mia did and is full of tons of something genetic tampering wise previous to this encounter. He just accepts the whole hand thing very easily. Though he does freak out about putting his own leg back on... so maybe it's just lazy storytelling.

• Options
    I'm have a feeling that Ethan
    works for whatever group Mia did and is full of tons of something genetic tampering wise previous to this encounter. He just accepts the whole hand thing very easily. Though he does freak out about putting his own leg back on... so maybe it's just lazy storytelling.

That's interesting
    I never lost my leg. When do you get it cut off?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    yeah, same here...what are you referring to?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    As far as I can find, it's not a guaranteed scene that you would see it.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah it's only if you fuck up.

Which I did

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

Neat!

Well that confirms that point, then

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    DLC maybe?

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    When I played the original RE, I was alr
    Tasteticle wrote: »

Neat!

The first aid description says it "promotes cell regeneration."

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Neat!

Ah, okay cool. I can buy that the RE universe has specifically branded cell regen juice. I do have another question though (end game spoilers):
    What the hell was Lucas's whole deal? You find out in the lab that he's working for the org Mia was and feeding them info, "pretending" to be controlled - but that dude seemed to reaaaallllly enjoy killing people. I assume he eventually turned?

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

Neat!

Ah, okay cool. I can buy that the RE universe has specifically branded cell regen juice. I do have another question though (end game spoilers):
    What the hell was Lucas's whole deal? You find out in the lab that he's working for the org Mia was and feeding them info, "pretending" to be controlled - but that dude seemed to reaaaallllly enjoy killing people. I assume he eventually turned?
    I think that guy's just a dick, if I remember right some of the logs detailing his more sadistic tendencies date well before Mia/Eveline's arrival.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular

Neat!

I could have sworn I found a file in the same area as the neurotoxin that stated the "early symptoms" of infection included limb re-attachment, hallucinations (visual and audio) of Eveline and increasingly aggressive behavior. As such, I kinda assumed that since you see both grandma and little girl Eveline at various points throughout the game, along with the hand/leg stuff that it was a subtle nod of being infected.

Which is why I assumed the "pretending to be infected" was Zoe, not Lucas. Zoe never "turns" or acts aggressive and we see Lucas's arm get hacked off at the table, but is re-attached later.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

Neat!

I think that guy's just a dick, if I remember right some of the logs detailing his more sadistic tendencies date well before Mia/Eveline's arrival.
    Yeah some of the notes talked about how he didn't like one of the neighbour kids and tricked him into the attic, then left him up there to die and rot, only bothering himself to go check what's up when the smell was too bad, and that was when he was a child.

Dude's just fucked up all on his own.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    This happened to me during the chainsaw fight with Jack as well, so I have a feeling it can be semi-random. But yeah, the hatch door is where most who saw it would have seen it, especially with the scripted part with the him taunting you with the meds.

There seems to be a quite a few events you might never see in the game. Like, for instance (super beginning):
    I didn't know Mia would fucking chainsaw the door open if you tried to lock her out, for instance, until I saw a Twitch stream of the game.

There's a lot of pretty neat touches like that.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Ending question
    How's shit go down if you choose to save Zoe? The whole endgame seems built around you choosing Mia, so I'm wondering how that plays out if you go the other way

• Options
    Ending question
    How's shit go down if you choose to save Zoe? The whole endgame seems built around you choosing Mia, so I'm wondering how that plays out if you go the other way
    If you save Zoe, then right before the boat you're in capsizes and you switch to Mia's perspective, Zoe gets calcified by Eveline.
    Then things continue as they did before, and at the very end instead of Mia being in the helicopter, it's just her belongings.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Just finished this.

Despite my whinging about the controls and gameplay, I think I really loved it overall.

My biggest gripe now is that
    I never got a chance to shove a gosh dang camera down that dick Lucas's throat.

Also, (ending spoiler)
    that wasn't Chris Redfield, was it? I'm not super up to date with the RE lore, having only played 2, 3 and 5, but that didn't really look like I remember him.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Also, (ending spoiler)
    that wasn't Chris Redfield, was it? I'm not super up to date with the RE lore, having only played 2, 3 and 5, but that didn't really look like I remember him.

Ending theories
    It's unclear. I've seen people speculate that this is Hunk and they're adapting a storyline from the novels where he is impersonating Redfield for...reasons??

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    I fucked up Marguerite on the first try because I'm not @Keith

• Options
    Oh, somehoww I only just? heard the intro song via the credits and oh man that song rocks

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    beat the game over the weekend. technically this is only the second RE game I've completed to the end, but only because it was so short and so easy

i'm of two minds, because I think you can judge the game in two different ways.. as an RE game I don't think it holds up at all. Pick any era of RE you like but it never really gets off the ground. Puzzles few and far between... combat just sort of there. It fills the emptiness with jump scares which gets old after a while.

But as a genre experimentation, it's really great. It's the first real full fledged AAA VR game I'm aware of that doesn't involve a cockpit. Also it's storytelling is solid. If their aim was the Kojima-esque "games and movies must merge together" philosophy, then I think they did a great job of it.

I will not buy the DLC because the game part of the game just isn't good enough. Now Capcom, please give me a full and uncompromised sequel to RE5, thanks

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I heard the first dlc out has some really great puzzles in it

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    They did make a sequel to RE5
    it's called RE6

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    They did make a sequel to RE5
    it's called RE6

It's not as bad as everyone says it is!

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I should play 6 at some point

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's definitely not the best Resident Evil game, but I really liked the structure, as an idea - if you're not aware, there are four different campaigns that cross each other and weave together to form the story as a whole.

The first three are partner campaigns, as in Resident Evil 5, although each character has a limited set of weapons they can acquire and a distinct play style as a result (generally some variety of sniper versus hand to hand). The last campaign is an Ada Wong solo mission, to explain all of her mysterious appearances throughout the other campaigns, in the style of Resident Evil 4's Operation Ada (and I believe it is only unlocked once you have finished the first three).

They all have reasonably differing tones (although still in the later Resident Evil game milieu - none of them are going to be true horror really), and while obviously their plotlines are going to converge, they start from very distinct places and travel mostly separate routes and you really do need to play all of them to get the full story.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i never played 6 because the guy I beat 5 with said it was bad

so we played Revelations 2 multiplayer instead until we passed out from exhaustion

• Options
    I think the Leon/Helena campaign and the Jake/Sherry campaign are both pretty fun. Like, I drank a lot of gin in the process of playing them, I'm not willing to say that they're good or anything, but if you've got a friend and you want to co-op some dumb zombie bullshit, I'd consider those worth it. The Chris/Piers campaign is kind of garbage, mostly because Chris is super boring and Piers is effectively a non-entity. The Ada one is fun and different, but kind of to its detriment, as you can't co-op that campaign and a lot of the game mechanics rely heavily on co-op - there's a lot of times when you get knocked down or grabbed or whatever and your partner has to save you.

• Options
    I can't score Resident Evil 7 higher than a 6 out of 10 even though I do like it.

The inventory system alone docks it a point.

• Options
    There's nothing fun about running back and forth to magic trunks that hold my items.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I think the Leon/Helena campaign and the Jake/Sherry campaign are both pretty fun. Like, I drank a lot of gin in the process of playing them, I'm not willing to say that they're good or anything, but if you've got a friend and you want to co-op some dumb zombie bullshit, I'd consider those worth it. The Chris/Piers campaign is kind of garbage, mostly because Chris is super boring and Piers is effectively a non-entity. The Ada one is fun and different, but kind of to its detriment, as you can't co-op that campaign and a lot of the game mechanics rely heavily on co-op - there's a lot of times when you get knocked down or grabbed or whatever and your partner has to save you.

I think they patched in a partner for Ada's mission, but one doesn't come standard.

6 was a weird beast that had some really good gunplay but I couldn't be bothered to finish it; I played Leon's campaign and half of Chris's before I got burned out.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Jake was my favorite character to play as in RE6. You could actually equip his fists as weapons and just go around punching and kicking zombies instead of having to trigger QTEs (punching them would frequently do that though, so you could get some great combos going).

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    so I'm finally getting to the dlc for this after my buddies and I finished recording for the main game
    21 survival and survival+ is the most insane, yu-gi-oh shit and I love it

when an AI opponent played 3 shield trump cards and then another one that required him to sacrifice 3 shields to do a thing I was like "what is this exodia bullshit"

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    so I'm finally getting to the dlc for this after my buddies and I finished recording for the main game
    21 survival and survival+ is the most insane, yu-gi-oh shit and I love it

when an AI opponent played 3 shield trump cards and then another one that required him to sacrifice 3 shields to do a thing I was like "what is this exodia bullshit"

...what

• Options
    banned footage vol2 minigame

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I thought you were in the wrong thread

• Options
    its probably my favorite of the dlc mini-stories because the further in you go the more crazy bullshit the AI opponents start pulling out

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    The best part of the movies is the shotgun that shoots quarters in Afterlife