As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old and newer fiction books lookup

ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
I can't for the life of me figure out what these books were, and I hope you all can help me again.

Starting with the newer one: a guy gets sent back in time I think, but he knows how to make gunpowder and stuff. He survives being attacked and pledges himself to a god, which is a god that doesn't normally allow that kind of thing. There are mages and monsters and mages are rated on a scale. Mage/fighters give no shits for defense and just beat folks til one mages shield gives out. Monsters can also take levels from a person. Something about boiling down brains and distilling the mage thing. The book ends with the guy being tortured after winning a battle and learning that the powers that be allow awful losses to give more brain boiling stuffs.

The tougher one: Young adult novels where a group of plucky kids got sent into the past and then witnessed folks being sacrificed to a god. Before being sacrificed they escaped somehow and murdered Quetzalcoatl. There were maybe 3-4 books in the series at the time.

Shot in the dark but it would be cool to know.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    The first one isn't The Reluctant Swordsman/The Seventh Sword series is it?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I seem to remember the second one but unfortunately I can't recall the name. It was definitely a Christian young adult series, although this was at least 20 years ago so they may have been classified as "teen" rather than "young adult.

I want to say the kids' parents were archaeologists? The other book I remember in the series had them being chased around a labyrinth in the Holy Land by a giant.

Possibly: Frank E. Peretti's Cooper Kids series

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Going by the synopsis's no to both.

I don't remember much more about the first short of it ending in a cliff-hanger. The second was a bit more graphic than what I've just checked out in the cooper series. Like heart eating and the like.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Second one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everworld

That looks very graphic for a YA series

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    That is definitely the second one! It's been a while and I read it in grade school from the library so I assumed it was a YA series. Thanks knitdan!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Second one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everworld

That looks very graphic for a YA series

*looks*

Oh, not surprised. It's KA Applegate.